Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

I figured out why we passed on Bush

We all know how New Orleans was devistated by Hurricane Katrina. And Houston was the first city to jump to their aid to provide their residents with housing, food, support, & other supplies.

But apparenlty we weren't finished there!!! Now we've decided to help rebuild the Saints football team for them too! And what better way than for Mr. McNair to hand them the best college prospect of the past 2 decades to them for FREE!

I'm sorry. I just can't buy into this Mario Williams pick. I've really tried since I heard the noise on Friday night. But this is a mistake on so many levels. Forget the fact that this guy is a can't miss prospect. But there goes marketing, respectability, national recognition right out the door. Not to mention we are now the laughing stock of the NFL.

EVERY time I turn on a TV or Radio all I hear is how bad of a mistake we've made. It's just sickening...

David's Busted Carr said:
We all know how New Orleans was devistated by Hurricane Katrina. And Houston was the first city to jump to their aid to provide their residents with housing, food, support, & other supplies.

But apparenlty we weren't finished there!!! Now we've decided to help rebuild the Saints football team for them too! And what better way than for Mr. McNair to hand them the best college prospect of the past 2 decades to them for FREE!

I'm sorry. I just can't buy into this Mario Williams pick. I've really tried since I heard the noise on Friday night. But this is a mistake on so many levels. Forget the fact that this guy is a can't miss prospect. But there goes marketing, respectability, national recognition right out the door. Not to mention we are now the laughing stock of the NFL.

EVERY time I turn on a TV or Radio all I hear is how bad of a mistake we've made. It's just sickening...

Agreed. The problem with the pick is that even if Williams is a very good player, it was STILL the wrong choice. And no, that's not hindsight, that's foresight. Love the 2nd and 3rd rounders though.

Uggggggh! Again with this? See if this bit by Michael Smith makes sense to you. (I couldn't say it any better.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2426963

Williams right fit for Texans
By Michael Smith

If you read my column last Monday, then you already know my feelings -- and obviously the Texans felt the same way -- about Houston taking Mario Williams over USC's Reggie Bush. So the only thing that surprises me is that more people don't agree.

I guess people are just having a hard time comprehending how the Texans could take a player most fans and many in the media (including myself, in all honesty) never had heard of before the scouting combine over one who we had watched in amazement for two years. Nobody seemed to believe Houston, but it's obvious now that the Texans were serious about going one way or the other.

They went the right way.

It's not about Williams being a better player than Bush. That's debatable. It's about who's better for the Texans. That's been my point all draft week. It's about the more valuable, more impact position -- defensive end. It's about having a potentially explosive offense or a competitive defense. Houston gave up the most points in the league last year. Opposing quarterbacks put up MVP-type numbers against Houston: 65 percent, 24 touchdowns, seven interceptions, a 100.0 efficiency rating. Unless Bush was going to play cornerback, too, he wouldn't have helped the Texans in that department. And thus he wouldn't have helped Houston add a Super Bowl championship to the national title the state's university won this year anytime soon, because defense wins ... well, you know.

Houston never has beaten Indianapolis in eight tries. If the Texans are to ever overtake the Colts they have to start harassing Peyton Manning the way the Chargers, Patriots, and Steelers do. And now the Texans have to deal with Vince Young in the division. They see Byron Leftwich twice a year. Williams made more sense.

And while we're on the subject of cents (and dollars), believe me when I tell you that Williams over Bush was not a financial decision, either. Take that back, finances had a little something to do with it. The Texans had reservations about paying $9 million a year to a player who they weren't certain was going to carry the ball more than 15 times a game. Sure when he's on the field he has to be accounted for but, in Houston's mind, it's questionable accounting to invest so much in a player out of whom a team may get the most if his touches are limited. We'll soon see. And don't think the Texans didn't notice Bush standing on the sideline at key moments of the Rose Bowl.

Back to Williams. A lot of people like to point out that all but one of his 14½ sacks came in NC State's first four games and that he had a sack in only 16 of his 36 collegiate games. Well, how many players have a sack in every game? Production by an end can't always be measured in sacks. The Texans studied the film and saw how often Williams pressured the quarterback out of the pocket or drew double teams and extra attention or penetrated the backfield (52 tackles for loss along with 25½ sacks in his career). The Texans didn't have a defensive player that teams feared, and Williams' presence should make not just Houston's defensive line but also its young secondary better.

Porky said:
Agreed. The problem with the pick is that even if Williams is a very good player, it was STILL the wrong choice. And no, that's not hindsight, that's foresight. Love the 2nd and 3rd rounders though.

I agree with this. The only way it will be a good choice is if Bush is a complete bust. Mario may be great, I hope he is, but if they both live up to their talented potential Bush would benefit the team more than Mario.

Oilers/Texans said:
I agree with this. The only way it will be a good choice is if Bush is a complete bust. Mario may be great, I hope he is, but if they both live up to their talented potential Bush would benefit the team more than Mario.

Ok lets do this. If both live up to the humungous hype, we have RB as the next Barry Sanders. Mario Williams as the next Reggie White/Bruce Smith.

Who would you rather have.

I would take White/Smith in a second.

Oilers/Texans said:

no he doesnt .. bush is touted as the next sayers or sanders (good luck) Williams just needs to be willliams ... demand double teams and keep our LB's free from offensive linemen..

I haven't given it much thought, so I just might be handed my butt on this one.

Reggie Bush is the next Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk.......

Mario Williams is the next Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Julius Peppers.....

How many SuperBowls have those guys been in??

But if you really want to know why we didn't pick Reggie?? In my opinion??

Bush Bowl........ remember all those Reggie Bush signs in our stadium?? McNair would have looked like a punk if he had drafted Reggie...... at least I think so. Fans cheering for us to lose....... talks about throwing that last game...... that last missed field goal........

kiwitexansfan said:
Ok lets do this. If both live up to the humungous hype, we have RB as the next Barry Sanders. Mario Williams as the next Reggie White/Bruce Smith.

Who would you rather have.

I would take White/Smith in a second.

I agree. Dominant DE over sensational RB is going to be my pick every time. But I dig having an awesome defense, because it takes so much pressure off of your offense while shutting down the enemy's scoring ability. Plus it is exciting as anything to me (yeah, I'm an old school purist that way).

Just about all of your great HoF d-ends have been to the championship games. But that can't be said for many of the elite RBs. Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Gale Sayers (who Reggie Bush is most compared to), to name a few, never made it to the big game.

I read this earlier today:

"The average Super Bowl winner in the 21st century has had just the 18th best ground game.

The relationship between running the ball and winning the Super Bowl has all but disappeared in the 21st century. The 2001 Patriots won the Super Bowl with the league’s 13th ranked ground attack. The 2002 Buccaneers and 2003 Patriots each had the 27th ranked ground attack – the lowest ranking for any champions in the Super Bowl era."

Our defense needed major upgrades. We needed the players we picked in this draft. And I can respect that decision.

Double Barrel said:
I read this earlier today:

"The average Super Bowl winner in the 21st century has had just the 18th best ground game.
Fascinating stat. I know stats can say anything blah blah..

still very interesting

battlered said:
You watch too much T.V.

just like looking to buy a Hummer H1(MW, big and dirty), and a Ferrari 360(RB, small but very quick) both very good at what they're meant to do, but in your garage collection of cars, you have some fast cars and trucksbut haven't been able to win any races on the track, so you hire a driver that has a record of winning races w/ decent cars(kubiak taking over the offense and has a great track record).
and living in houston might not be a glamourous city w/ nice roads/streets nice enough to drive a ferrari everyday(every down back) but you can drive a hummer on all occasions, to make a statement, tearin up the dirt, just and sport your scars on it.
LOL!!!
i tried to come up w/ some sort of metaphor( im bored )

Lemme fix your analogy. Comparing offensive and defensive players is hard to do because their impact on the field is so different.

Let's do SAT practice, shall we?

Please pick the most correct answer of the four. Be sure to use a number 2 pencil and fill in the oval completely.

Reggie Bush is to a Ferrari 360 as Mario Williams is to.........

a. Cadillac Escalade
b. Hummer H1
c. Grave Digger
d.
M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver-02.jpg

If you answered d, you are correct. :redtowel:

i just wanted to say i noticed some things in this draft that were like the draft of 1991 when raghib "rocket" ismail a 5'10 175 lb flanker out of ND came out. he had media hype as well, he was at notre dame. the cowboys were the owners of the 1st pick of the draft when the canuck football league offered "rocket" 18.1 million for 4 years, which was more then alot of pro bowlers were making at the time. the cowboys passed on that and ended up drafting russel maryland. russel maryland ended up being one of the anchors in the cowboys superbowl defense in the early 90's. Ismail returned to the NFL one year later playing for the raider in 93 then panthers from 96-98, and ironically played his final season with the cowboys. he had a subpar pro career, and a stellar college career, he is listed as the 75th best college player ever. not saying this will be the same type of scenerio. but the team that went defense end up winning big a couple of times. only time will tell how his works out. but i do know this, to stop manning you must punch him in the mouth. i dream mario turns into manning-kryptonite, and strikes fear into any QB who sets foot in reliant. :)

Texans_Chick said:
Lemme fix your analogy. Comparing offensive and defensive players is hard to do because their impact on the field is so different.

Let's do SAT practice, shall we?

Please pick the most correct answer of the four. Be sure to use a number 2 pencil and fill in the oval completely.

Reggie Bush is to a Ferrari 360 as Mario Williams is to.........

a. Cadillac Escalade
b. Hummer H1
c. Grave Digger
d.
M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver-02.jpg

If you answered d, you are correct. :redtowel:

NOW THAT IS GREAT!!!!

David's Busted Carr said:

I hardly see NO rebuilding there team. They stupidly strengthened one position they were already strong at -- and are just opening themselves up for problems with Deuce, signing Bush and the potential scandal. If anybody should be sick, it should be NO. They pulled the boner, not the Texans.

Oilers/Texans said:

This is simply not true. If Bush came here, Davis would still be playing. Thus you would have a RB by committee situation and your production from that position wouldn't increase a whole lot. Williams will force more turnovers, give the Texans better field position, and will make Davis better. No doubt about it -- give me Williams and Davis over Davis and Bush anytime.

thunderkyss said:
I haven't given it much thought, so I just might be handed my butt on this one.

Reggie Bush is the next Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk.......

Mario Williams is the next Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Julius Peppers.....

How many SuperBowls have those guys been in??quote]

thats a very interesting question - Faulk played in two with the Rams, Sanders none

Peppers with the Panthers, White two I know he played in with Green Bay....not sure about Smith.

Which won SB rings

Bobo said:
This is simply not true. If Bush came here, Davis would still be playing. Thus you would have a RB by committee situation and your production from that position wouldn't increase a whole lot. Williams will force more turnovers, give the Texans better field position, and will make Davis better. No doubt about it -- give me Williams and Davis over Davis and Bush anytime.

I know its not normally the most common thing on these boards to agree with you....but your exactly right. It's what I've been saying all along....Bush is better than Davis...no doubt. But that improvement alone wasn't going to win us say 5 games. Now you take the strength Williams gives our team....a pass rush that was non-existent (not to mention all of the defensive players he helps put back in their natural positions) and you should be able to see that him bringing this to our team is far more beneficial than say 50+ running yards a game and a TD. The offense revolves around the QB (a great QB like Peyton picks you apart no matter how many man are in coverage with enough time....the same can not be said about a RB....if you stack the line and have your D set on him....he isn't going anywhere). So de facto your defense should revolve around disrupting the QB....something we haven't been able to do for one game yet as a franchise. We have had some great games running the ball....and lost....badly. Bush wouldn't have been able to do a damn thing about those. We had to do something about that line and our team as a whole is going to be better for it....our record will indicate this.

Also a viewpoint i've always held very close is that having the league's best offense isn't nearly as beneficial as having the best defense. If you can score on any possession....but can't stop the other team from scoring....your in constant shootouts which can go any way. Now if you have a shutdown defense....not only can you control the high octane O's but you can even create much better opportunities for your average Offense (IE - field position, interceptions, fumbles....hell you can even score on Defense). Thats something that can not be said for the offensive side of the ball.....no matter what....you can not help out your defense while playing offense.

Why is it a question of "why didn't the Texans pick Bush?" ? The real question that matters is why the Texans took Williams. In my mind, Bush is history now. As Casserly said, "This was purely a football move." That means he thinks Bush was worth a first overall pick; however, Williams stepped up and signed the contract that Bush refused to sign. Had Bush agreed to the Texans terms, then Bush would have been selected.

Getting to football. I like the idea of a better pass-rush from the defense. The Texans should be allowing less points on the board this year. This should allow Carr to be more selective and have less pressure. Imagine the pressure he felt every time the Texans scored a TD only to see the defense give up a TD. That may not be the story this year.

don't know where the quote is but McNair said that Williams was the best prospect he's seen in 19 years.

not sure about that but Mcnair liked him

JAXwithanX said:
I know its not normally the most common thing on these boards to agree with you....but your exactly right. It's what I've been saying all along....Bush is better than Davis...no doubt. But that improvement alone wasn't going to win us say 5 games. Now you take the strength Williams gives our team....a pass rush that was non-existent (not to mention all of the defensive players he helps put back in their natural positions) and you should be able to see that him bringing this to our team is far more beneficial than say 50+ running yards a game and a TD. The offense revolves around the QB (a great QB like Peyton picks you apart no matter how many man are in coverage with enough time....the same can not be said about a RB....if you stack the line and have your D set on him....he isn't going anywhere). So de facto your defense should revolve around disrupting the QB....something we haven't been able to do for one game yet as a franchise. We have had some great games running the ball....and lost....badly. Bush wouldn't have been able to do a damn thing about those. We had to do something about that line and our team as a whole is going to be better for it....our record will indicate this.

Also a viewpoint i've always held very close is that having the league's best offense isn't nearly as beneficial as having the best defense. If you can score on any possession....but can't stop the other team from scoring....your in constant shootouts which can go any way. Now if you have a shutdown defense....not only can you control the high octane O's but you can even create much better opportunities for your average Offense (IE - field position, interceptions, fumbles....hell you can even score on Defense). Thats something that can not be said for the offensive side of the ball.....no matter what....you can not help out your defense while playing offense.

From today's Chronicle http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/3829918.html

"It was a tough choice," McNair said. "But coach Kubiak felt like we'd made a big improvement in our offense with the players we picked up in the offseason, but we needed more help on defense. He said, 'This is how I think we're going to put the strongest team on the field.' "

As a former quarterback and offensive coordinator, Kubiak knows what causes offenses the most trouble. He knows what offensive coordinators and quarterbacks fear the most.

Seriously now. Who scares you the most: Reggie White or Marshall Faulk?

man feels good to be backed up by the head coach.

Back