Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Spencer according to Megan Manfull

Texans Pride

Veteran
In this mornings Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4440416.html

Texans rookie Charles Spencer has a metal plate and about eight screws in his knee. The fracture that ended his season after just two starts has healed.

That doesn't mean the Texans will have their starting left offensive tackle back any time soon, though. In fact, what appeared to be a bright NFL future for Spencer is now in question because of cartilage around his knee that was damaged as a result of the injury.
"It's certainly an injury that threatens a guy's career, especially a guy like Spencer," said Dr. Walter Lowe, the team physician who performed Spencer's surgery Sept. 18.

Hmm...I was under the impressing it was the initial leg break that would jepordize his career...this is the first I've heard about knee cartillage. This doesn't sound good. That is the stuff that DW is missing.

All the more reason to make a serious effort to acquire some top shelf talent at LT in the offseason.

Unfortunately this year draft is very thin at tackle position and out side of Thomas no one is considered franchise LT in this draft. Both Baker and Long are staying in college for senior year.

"This was a big disappointment," Spencer said. "It was kind of a weird fracture. But it happened for a reason. I'll be out there next year."
Great attitude by Charles......this guy is a winner!

I'm sure counting on Charles, and I hope he's there ready to go full speed. Because if he is, we're going to be better," Kubiak said. "But we've got to operate assuming that may not happen."
Great motivation for Charles.....this guy is a winner too! :twocents:

"This was a big disappointment," Spencer said. "It was kind of a weird fracture. But it happened for a reason. I'll be out there next year."

I'm sure counting on Charles, and I hope he's there ready to go full speed. Because if he is, we're going to be better," Kubiak said. "But we've got to operate assuming that may not happen."

Now THATS what i wanted to hear...Good Attitude Baby!!!!!!

"It's certainly an injury that threatens a guy's career, especially a guy like Spencer," said Dr. Walter Lowe, the team physician who performed Spencer's surgery Sept. 18.

What in the world is the "team physician" doing performing this type of surgery? If the injury is as bad as is being reported it should have been done by some uber doc, not the team doctor. Team docs are good for cortizone shots and tapin' ankles.

I hope this is just an honest mistake by Manfull.

vvvvv I lost a bet vvvvv

Señor Stan;561172 said:
What in the world is the "team physician" doing performing this type of surgery? If the injury is as bad as is being reported it should have been done by some uber doc, not the team doctor. Team docs are good for cortizone shots and tapin' ankles.

I hope this is just an honest mistake by Manful.

Good only for cortizone shots and taping ankles? Maybe you oughta check out Dr. Lowe's credentials first before making such an ignorant statement about him the next time there, slick.:loser

Texans rookie Charles Spencer has a metal plate and about eight screws in his knee. The fracture that ended his season after just two starts has healed.

That doesn't mean the Texans will have their starting left offensive tackle back any time soon, though. In fact, what appeared to be a bright NFL future for Spencer is now in question because of cartilage around his knee that was damaged as a result of the injury.

I better see that man out there next season. I want a good offensive lineman protecting our next QB whoever it is.

I wouldn't really listen to atheltes on wheter they would be out there next year. Just look at Jeff Bagwell last offseason, or Domanick Williams(Davis) this preseason. Good attitude, but sometimes the body won't allow you to do it.

McClain says:

They can move Charles Spencer, who's recovering nicely from his fractured leg, to right tackle.

Manfull says:

In fact, what appeared to be a bright NFL future for Spencer is now in question because of cartilage around his knee that was damaged as a result of the injury.

The truth (whatever that is) appears to be that they don't know yet:

It will take another month or so before the doctors can determine how the cartilage is doing.

We as fans are going to have to wait and see what happens with Spencer. The optimistic side of me says Spencer will be back at full strength, but optimism has led to disappointment with this team before. What a bummer.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/12/fans_want_questions_about_carr.html

Spencer does have a good attitude about it and is working very hard to be back, he appreciates the supporting fans and that helps his confidence. I know I can't ask but I wish all the "Doubters" could keep a cap on it because he does occassionally read this board. He's a bright kid and has a great future ahead of him and he totally believes in himself and his ability,,,,

Spencer does have a good attitude about it and is working very hard to be back, he appreciates the supporting fans and that helps his confidence. I know I can't ask but I wish all the "Doubters" could keep a cap on it because he does occassionally read this board. He's a bright kid and has a great future ahead of him and he totally believes in himself and his ability,,,,

Most doubters aren't basing much of their doubts on Spencer himself, just on the Texans LT position and the front office's inability to do the right things there. Spencer is one of the most highly regarded players on the team, especially in comparison to the playing time he's had.

First I hope Spencer is back to 100% when OTA's start we need him on this team BAAAAAD.

BUT:
Anybody else out there think we need to Trade-Up to get Thomas?

Up-Side: Spence comes back 100% and is good to go we have TWO big nasties to protect our QB(who ever it is) and plow the road for our RB's.
Our O-line would be set for YEARS to come. (Spencer, Thomas, Winston,Hodgens,Flanagan,Pitts,Mckinney)(I know I'm missing someone?not salamm)

Down-Side: Spence is not ready and may never be. Sucks, but we have to face facts that Knee/leg Injures can be a tricky thing.(REF: DD/DW) But we have Joe Thomas, a true LT to plug in. Will be paying big money but I refer you back to the Up-side listed above.

That said hope Spencer continues to keep up the hard work in Rehab and get well soon.

Big Nasty, if you are reading this thread, just know that you are a team favorite, and we're all supporting you and hoping the best for you.

:respect:

I was hoping you'd post after I read the article in the Chronicle because of your personal relationship with him, so thanks for that. :)

If Mr. Charles is reading, I want to extend my best wishes to him and hope he continues to work hard during his rehab. Everytime Coach Kubiak talks about Spencer, he always has great things to say about him as a player. It must give him a lot of encouragement that the team thinks so highly of him.

I hope we soon get that news that Spencer will be back in uniform and at full strength for the beginning of next season. GO BIG NASTY!!! :yahoo:

I dunno, but this does not appear to be what we were hoping to hear.
Of course people, especially pro athletes, sometimes make unexpected and even miraculous recoveries.

I wish we could have done that with Domanick, no fault nobody but I am glad they will do this................Get a LT, and when Spencer comes back that will be a bonus.

Praying for him!

You posted while I was wrighting my post and I don't want you to get the wrong idea from my earlier post. I love the fact that Spencer is a Hou. Texan and want him to play for the Texans for years to come. Also love the fact that he Reads the MB that cool. But at the same time that I want whats best for Spencer I also want whats best for the team. When I talk about Drafting a player like Joe Thomas I dont want people to think I disrespesting Spencer I'm just thinking about to team as a whole. The whole DD/DW thing this year realy plays a big factor in what I'm saying, IMO the FO was'nt ready for DD/DW problem and it affected the team so I refer to the old adage "learn from your mistakes"

If Spencer is healthy and is ready to play I pumped up because I think he's going to be a great player. But if we have Thomas and Spencer is not ready the TEAM is still in good shape.

I expect him back but he might not be back quite where he was. That's perfectly understandable. What I'm curious about is whether or not Spencer can make the transition to RT or possibly move back to one of the guard spots.

I like that Charles is dead set on coming back. I love his attitude and I believe that if it's humanly possible he'll be back on the field next year. At the same time I have to also admit that I really like seeing Kubiak learn from experience here. He's not counting on anyone coming back which to me means we'll be deeper next year than ever before when some of these guys do come back. That will be a good problem to have.

I hope Spencer makes it back. He looked promising in limited rookie action and I liked the guy. That said, depending on the extent of the cartilage damage, it's realistic to consider that he may be done at this point. I can say this because I've had extensive knee cartilage damage: cartilage damage is irreparable, and as a former college basketball player who has been advised by my doctors to play very sparingly if ever again, I know how much it impacted my ability to move on the basketball court in the span of just a few short years, let alone on an NFL field.

As far as Joe Thomas. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, the "Broncos system" doesn't draft O-linemen in the first round, let alone trading up to the 2-spot to do it. Never have and I don't see it happening all of a sudden this year. Just look at last year's draft: under Kubiak's guidance, we picked up Winston who has had moderate rookie success, and Spencer, whom by all estimates, is/was going to be a beast for us. JMO but I see us trading down if anything.

I feel sorry for Spencer if he can't make it back.
I also feel sorry for Houston fans who could have watched the next great left tackle in the NFL for 12 years.
Yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself. It just seems that besides the 94-95 Rockets, Houston is snake-bit.
Steinkuhler is the next great O-lineman! Oh, he blows out a knee. Alonzo Highsmith is the perfect back for the run shoot! Oh, he blows out a knee.
The Oilers are going to the Super Bowl, just beat Buffalo up 35-3, Oh, we blow it. Phi Slamma Jamma is the best college B-Ball team of all time! Oh, no! NC State beats us. The '98 Astros have Randy Johnson, no one can beat us! Oh, no, the Padres beat us. Boselli will be our first LT! Oh, no, he never plays. Astros make the World Series! Oh, no, we get swept.
Besides Earl Campbell, our football teams have never had a super-star. And Earl had to play against the best team of ALL TIME!
Spencer, I hope you make it back, man. I need it.

I hope Spencer makes it back. He looked promising in limited rookie action and I liked the guy. That said, depending on the extent of the cartilage damage, it's realistic to consider that he may be done at this point. I can say this because I've had extensive knee cartilage damage: cartilage damage is irreparable, and as a former college basketball player who has been advised by my doctors to play very sparingly if ever again, I know how much it impacted my ability to move on the basketball court in the span of just a few short years, let alone on an NFL field.

As far as Joe Thomas. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, the "Broncos system" doesn't draft O-linemen in the first round, let alone trading up to the 2-spot to do it. Never have and I don't see it happening all of a sudden this year. Just look at last year's draft: under Kubiak's guidance, we picked up Winston who has had moderate rookie success, and Spencer, whom by all estimates, is/was going to be a beast for us. JMO but I see us trading down if anything.

I'm in no way a draft "expert" the reason I asked the question was because it seems to be a very "thin" draft on O-lineman this year. If your team is in the market for a DB,FS,SS, or Rec. your good to go but for DL/OL it looks like most starting quility DL/OL will be gone mid to late 2rd round. I understand the trade down position you have, thought the same thing myself but LT are a hard thing to find. And saw a post earlier the most franchise LT are early 1st round picks.

I expect him back but he might not be back quite where he was. That's perfectly understandable. What I'm curious about is whether or not Spencer can make the transition to RT or possibly move back to one of the guard spots.

I like that Charles is dead set on coming back. I love his attitude and I believe that if it's humanly possible he'll be back on the field next year. At the same time I have to also admit that I really like seeing Kubiak learn from experience here. He's not counting on anyone coming back which to me means we'll be deeper next year than ever before when some of these guys do come back. That will be a good problem to have.
our Guards need to have great feet in this system...they do a ton of pulling and blocking at the second level, so I donno if G is a good posibility at all in this system.

First I hope Spencer is back to 100% when OTA's start we need him on this team BAAAAAD.

BUT:

Up-Side: Spence comes back 100% and is good to go we have TWO big nasties to protect our QB(who ever it is) and plow the road for our RB's.
Our O-line would be set for YEARS to come. (Spencer, Thomas, Winston,Hodgens,Flanagan,Pitts,Mckinney)(I know I'm missing someone?not salamm)

Down-Side: Spence is not ready and may never be. Sucks, but we have to face facts that Knee/leg Injures can be a tricky thing.(REF: DD/DW) But we have Joe Thomas, a true LT to plug in. Will be paying big money but I refer you back to the Up-side listed above.

That said hope Spencer continues to keep up the hard work in Rehab and get well soon.

Nope they need to cut DC loose, and prepair for the worst. They cannot go into '07 with what they have at OLT. Not unless Kubiack is going to dump his offense and go two tight ends.

So exactly what was Hollywood John's agenda. Inquiring minds want to know ? Got any clues TC ?

a few "I beg your pardon Pete" would be nice.

You posted while I was wrighting my post and I don't want you to get the wrong idea from my earlier post. I love the fact that Spencer is a Hou. Texan and want him to play for the Texans for years to come. Also love the fact that he Reads the MB that cool. But at the same time that I want whats best for Spencer I also want whats best for the team. When I talk about Drafting a player like Joe Thomas I dont want people to think I disrespesting Spencer I'm just thinking about to team as a whole. The whole DD/DW thing this year realy plays a big factor in what I'm saying, IMO the FO was'nt ready for DD/DW problem and it affected the team so I refer to the old adage "learn from your mistakes"

If Spencer is healthy and is ready to play I pumped up because I think he's going to be a great player. But if we have Thomas and Spencer is not ready the TEAM is still in good shape.

I see no disrespect. But, the fact of the matter is that it is not nothing. There is only one priemere OLT prospect out there. The cost to go get him is in all probablity way to high to move up. You're looking at a differential of 3000 points from 1800 points. Chart is on the college/draft board. We ain't got 1200 points unless you're packaging several high picks to move up. Several high picks = a switch and a couple of twos, if not our next years one also. We gotta dig in and hope the home run the scouting Dept. hit last year was not an anomoly.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=33289

Er, make that 1400 points. Adjust math accordingly. Like I posted. A very high cost probibited move up, indeed.

Just to put it in the best light. Thomas, Pitts, Weary, Winston, Spencer. That would be a one heck of a line. And it would, at least on paper, finally be the line we have been looking for five years. Don't think even Carr could find fault with this line. Well maybe one, they are young and still learniing the NFL game.

I see no disrespect. But, the fact of the matter is that it is not nothing. There is only one priemere OLT prospect out there. The cost to go get him is in all probablity way to high to move up. You're looking at a differential of 3000 points from 1800 points. Chart is on the college/draft board. We ain't got 1200 points unless you're packaging several high picks to move up. Several high picks = a switch and a couple of twos, if not our next years one also. We gotta dig in and hope the home run the scouting Dept. hit last year was not an anomoly.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=33289

Er, make that 1400 points. Adjust math accordingly. Like I posted. A very high cost probibited move up, indeed.

Pete, you're right about trying to move up to get Thomas. I think just about every team picking ahead of us needs an OLT. Unfortunately we're stuck. We have way too many other needs to give up even one extra high pick to trade up, and the draft is weak in OLT's. Also, I don't think FA is the way to go either. Teams don't let their good LT's go, and we would probably end up paying too much for below average to bad talent. Again!

Not sure about what will be left in the draft, but Joe Staley (6'6", 305 lbs) from Central Michigan, and Ryan Harris (6'5", 295 lbs) from Notre Dame could still be on the board when we pick in the 2nd round. I think these 2 are projected to go in the late 1st or early to mid 2nd round. Of course this will probably all change by the time the draft gets here in April. But it's fun to speculate! JMHO!

pete

Can you give me some info. on the point system that you are using I'm not very well versed in the trade up/down thing? I think I understand what your saying but I like to research/learn more about so I dont look like a fool when the draft rolls around. I save the rest of my questions for the draft side of the MB. Thanks.

pete

Can you give me some info. on the point system that you are using I'm not very well versed in the trade up/down thing? I think I understand what your saying but I like to research/learn more about so I dont look like a fool when the draft rolls around. I save the rest of my questions for the draft side of the MB. Thanks.

There's a standard chart that shows a "value" for each draft pick. When you bundle up picks and things, you compare the relative values of the picks.

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/draft/draftvaluechart.asp

Back