Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Alex Gibbs

Texans Pride

Veteran
Now that Gibbs is leaving the Falcons (via Adam Schefter on NFL Total Access) and Troy Calhoun is leaving the Texans for Air Force, as well as possibly Sherman, should the Texans go after Gibbs and bring him to Houston?

Makes perfect sense to me. Gibbs was the man who brought the zone blocking to Denver, is regarded as one of the best offensive line minds in the NFL, and has worked with Kubes before.

What do you guys think?

I'm calling it, I think we go after him.

Considering we lost our Offensive Coordinator and our OL Coach/Assistant Head Coach, I don't see why not.

Get it done McNair/Smith.

I think we'll go after him as well. I would be surprised if we don't go after him. Wasn't he rumored to be a possibility as our O-line coach last year?

I think he could work wonders for us. This we be a dramatic step in the right direction in my opinion for this franchise. Rick Smith....GET HIM.

Whit out question we go get Alex Gibbs. By adding Alex to our coach staff, we will have a better coaching staff on the offense side of the ball than we did last year and that’s always a plus.

Whit out question we go get Alex Gibbs. By adding Alex to our coach staff, we will have a better coaching staff on the offense side of the ball than we did last year and that’s always a plus.

Not only that, but we will also have one blocking philosophy as well. I may be wrong, so someone can correct me if I am, but didn't we have a mixture of zone blocking and traditional blocking on different plays since Sherman didn't have experience with zone blocking?

Not only that, but we will also have one blocking philosophy as well. I may be wrong, so someone can correct me if I am, but didn't we have a mixture of zone blocking and traditional blocking on different plays since Sherman didn't have experience with zone blocking?

the pure "zone" blocking scheme that we saw exclusively during preseason rarely showed up during the regular season, and i cant recall a cut-block. we ran a lot more power I and man to man blocking during the regular season with some zone sprinkled in. atleast, that's what i saw.

fyi - Gibbs is about to turn 66 years old and his role with the Falcons this season was part-time consultant.

fyi - Gibbs is about to turn 66 years old and his role with the Falcons this season was part-time consultant.

Thats a fact Jack, Gibbs only came to work a few days during the week, helped with the game plan. He put in a little more time during training camp. Gibbs suffers from manic depression. He has been trying to get out since he left Denver but they "keep dragging him back in."

Gibbs out of Atlanta? WOW! There is going to be a pretty big bidding war over this guy, let's hope we com out on top! Landing Alex Gibbs would be HUGE for us! And the timing is perfect since Sherman doesn't seem to plan on staying here another year. I'm definitely keeping my whole body crossed on this one! Gibbs, come to Houston! Puh-Lease!!!

Dude. If I invite you to a party or something, remind me about this moment. I was getting all happy and then... reality. I hate when that happens.

the pure "zone" blocking scheme that we saw exclusively during preseason rarely showed up during the regular season, and i cant recall a cut-block. we ran a lot more power I and man to man blocking during the regular season with some zone sprinkled in. atleast, that's what i saw.

Seems like there is a lot of things that we were doing in preseason with success that we abandoned for some reason

I had the opportunity to meet Alex Gibbs in Atlanta four years ago. He is absolutely a monster offensive line coach and would be a fantastic addition to the Texans. He needs to be on a plane to Houston immediately! His addition would be absolutely huge!! I show my offensive linemen some Broncos game tapes that I got from Coach Gibbs that are phenominal.

tulexan, You are also absolutely correct in pointing out the divergent philosophies offensively. Alex brings a solid philosophy that he has proven to implement in Atlanta and Denver. I am far too excited right now! This is bigger than draft picks and free agents... this is A#1 on the priority list. Call in to talk shows, write to newspapers, get the word out on the streets! Bring him in!

We also saw the overuse and ultimate demise of Jamel Cook who bastardized the zone to the point that we effectively eliminated the zone and made it a lead blocking, power run game. Not sure why, but a cohesive scheme is definitely called for.

We also saw the overuse and ultimate demise of Jamel Cook who bastardized the zone to the point that we effectively eliminated the zone and made it a lead blocking, power run game. Not sure why, but a cohesive scheme is definitely called for.

absolutely correct and i love your signature, not only was cook a complete failure, but you lead to IMO the big reason for that abandonment. we lacked the personnel to effectively run a zone running attack. the player who picked up the zone blocking scheme most effectively during preseason was oddly enough, seth wand. spencer wasnt the run blocker that wand was at that time but he was a stronger pass blocker. i bet spencer's talented and young enough that he can be moulded into that role, but it's not an overnight change. flanagan was also relatively quick to pick it up and that's why i was so high on him early in the season. flanagan's a smart player but his legs are leaving him ... he was much better at leaving a hole and moving to the second level than he is at creating holes with his push ... which is ideal in the ZBS. weary, pitts, mckinney, and weigert all struggled to make the adjustment at the beginning (especially when throwing some almost laughable cut-blocks) ... but were making progress. i got the feeling that as the season was starting, kubiak decided to go towards what he thought were his current players' strengths and slowly involve "zone blocking lite" (which we did see towards the end of the season). this season should bring a lot of turnover in personnel similar to last season, and i think we'll be much further into the playbook - both rushing & passing - than we were last season.

coach gibbs would go a long way in getting our current (and future) players to learn and execute the system that kubiak wants to run.

Given that we have no top-shelf line talent on this team, I really wish we could do this. There are only a few line coaches that can really turn lemons into lemonade and Gibbs is one.

Of course, then AJ had to go burst our bubble :crying:

maybe not so much. we need gibbs as a teacher more than an offensive coordinator. kubiak calls the plays and runs the offense anyways, i dont think gibbs would take that spot even if he were here. having gibbs even for the offseason to teach technique and scheme, it'd go a long way towards getting our playbook in full swing. gibbs wouldnt have to be an everyday assistant coach to be a big asset.

There is speculation that Sherman may have a HC position coming to him in the near future, and many have asked what exactly are we going to do losing both him and Troy. Well how about Alex Gibbs. In the wake of the Jim Mora and Vick (the coach killer) mess Gibbs resigned from the Falcons. Right now he resides in Arizona and they need alot of line coaching, but he has a history with Kubes and is unemployed. Gibbs is what you would call an OL guru, improving many lines that were thought of as untalented at some point. He is a very good OL talent evaluator and would only help us in drafting lineman in later rounds. I mention this because signing him could be the biggest Free Agent signing we could make all off-season. Mr. McNair please go throw some money at Gibbs and lock him down for at least two years with us....

Here is an article on him from nfl. com: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9908198

Hey, don't let the facts get in the way of whatever y'all were doing. You guys were on a roll so believe me, I thought twice before chunking that bit of reality into the debate.

Seriously, I could see Gibbs here in a role here similar to what he did at Atlanta [consult on O-line personnel and blocking schemes, etc] especailly since we stand to lose Sherman in addition to Calhoun, but he's not a full blown OC anymore and won't be in the booth calling plays on game day - or working with the QB on a personal level as Calhoun did.

Gibbs is old enough now that he might just say screw it. I don't know anything about his health or personal situation.

Has anyone else thought about Kyle Shanahan being on a fast track to OC? That couldn't happen yet, could it? There's no way he's ready, right? I'm only saying that because of some of the things Kubiak said in response to Calhoun leaving and the OC search. He said something to the effect that "we have enough guys here who are familiar with this offense..." Yeah, as long as Sherman is here that's true but when he leaves...

Hey, don't let the facts get in the way of whatever y'all were doing. You guys were on a roll so believe me, I thought twice before chunking that bit of reality into the debate.

Seriously, I could see Gibbs here in a role here similar to what he did at Atlanta [consult on O-line personnel and blocking schemes, etc] especailly since we stand to lose Sherman in addition to Calhoun, but he's not a full blown OC anymore and won't be in the booth calling plays on game day - or working with the QB on a personal level as Calhoun did.

Gibbs is old enough now that he might just say screw it. I don't know anything about his health or personal situation.

Has anyone else thought about Kyle Shanahan being on a fast track to OC? That couldn't happen yet, could it? There's no way he's ready, right? I'm only saying that because of some of the things Kubiak said in response to Calhoun leaving and the OC search. He said something to the effect that "we have enough guys here who are familiar with this offense..." Yeah, as long as Sherman is here that's true but when he leaves...

If Gibbs were to come in, it would be to soley focus on the offensive line, not coordinate. IMO it is very difficult to coach the offensive line and also be a coordinator. Coordinators need to be up in the box seeing the defenses from the best possible view and being removed from the pressures and action on the field.

One of the things that I struggle with on the high school level being a head coach and an OC is not being able to see things from the box. This just kills because the sidelines are the absolute worst seats in the house. You need to be able to see the entire field.

Additionally, an OLine coach is the most important coach on the field because he has five players to communicate with. He needs to get on the board on the sidelines and walk the players through what they are seeing and make teaching adjustments on the fly. You can't do that from the box. The Oline coach needs to be fiery and get the Oline a little pissed off at times. Gibbs is that type of personality. I never got that from Sherman. A large part of running the football and protecting the quarterback is having a little bit of a burr in your saddle and that was lacking sometimes with our front five.

maybe not so much. we need gibbs as a teacher more than an offensive coordinator. kubiak calls the plays and runs the offense anyways, i dont think gibbs would take that spot even if he were here. having gibbs even for the offseason to teach technique and scheme, it'd go a long way towards getting our playbook in full swing. gibbs wouldnt have to be an everyday assistant coach to be a big asset.

Exactly my thoughts on the matter. Consistency is key to solidifying your O-Line, and a consistent message from Gibbs coupled with plays and schemes that use that methodology from the Kubester will go a long way towards getting the best out of our guys. We don't have the best personnel, but this past season we had substandard guys performing below their best, and that's no good. If we can couple more unified line play with some solid new talent then we could make major strides next year.

I'd love it if Gibbs came to Houston - however much he's actually able to contribute.

IfThe Oline coach needs to be fiery and get the Oline a little pissed off at times. Gibbs is that type of personality. I never got that from Sherman. .

I had a chance to observe Sherman up close and personal at OTAs and camp, and believe me he can get after it. Yes, he's more of the cerebral teacher-type but I've seen him flip the 'fire switch' many times when he's working with the line in individual drills. He also has the ability to really compose himself and flip on the 'calm professional leader' switch when he knows he's on camera (watched him do several interviews after coming off the practice field)

I had a chance to observe Sherman up close and personal at OTAs and camp, and believe me he can get after it. Yes, he's more of the cerebral teacher-type but I've seen him flip the 'fire switch' many times when he's working with the line in individual drills. He also has the ability to really compose himself and flip on the 'calm professional leader' switch when he knows he's on camera (watched him do several interviews after coming off the practice field)

I've never met him, so I'll take your word for it. I have met Gibbs and I just prefer his demeanor a bit more. I am also a big McNally fan...he brings that attitude to an entirely different level!

There is a classic video sequence of Mike Munchak getting beat against the Redskins back with the Oilers. Jack Pardee got into him and then his oline coach got into him. Ten when Mike got to the bench, the coach came down, cool and collected and asked him "what did he do to you?" Football's an emotional sport ot be sure and nowhere moreso than in the trenches. You have to have the fire, yet also have the ability to discuss techniques and execute.

David Carr sings "another OC bites the dust. Another one down and another OC bites the dust." Sung to the song by you know who. Ooops, forgot Carr ain't going to be here anyway, right?

David Carr sings "another OC bites the dust. Another one down and another OC bites the dust." Sung to the song by you know who. Ooops, forgot Carr ain't going to be here anyway, right?

How did this get turned into a DC thread. . . .AGAIN

Now that Gibbs is leaving the Falcons (via Adam Schefter on NFL Total Access) and Troy Calhoun is leaving the Texans for Air Force, as well as possibly Sherman, should the Texans go after Gibbs and bring him to Houston?

Makes perfect sense to me. Gibbs was the man who brought the zone blocking to Denver, is regarded as one of the best offensive line minds in the NFL, and has worked with Kubes before.

What do you guys think?

absolutely. why not? i think we will definitely be serious contenders for his services. that will give us something to look forward to.

I used to live in Atlanta and was a season ticket holder for 15 years. Thank God I was able to move back to Texas a couple of years ago. I used to go to all the training camps and open practices. Gibbs is a small man stature, but BIG in in his presence. When he was more full time with the OLine he was also responsible for the running game, plays and the run game plan. Gibbs insisted on this as part of his contract. They weren't allowed to film the O Line training drills. Gibbs didn't want this info getting out. Because of his depression he has been in and out of football the last several years. Everytime he wanted out the Falcons would offer him less responsibilities and time commitment. This last year he was only working about 3 days a week, midweek. Gibbs is in his mid 60s and I think he ready to retire full time. Note: I think the Falcons have led the league in rushing the last (3) years (Gibbs tenure in Atlanta).

If we can get Gibbs to come here as a consultant, that would be fine with me. If Sherman leaves, adding Gibbs and his knowledge would be an upgrade to the OL, even if it is on a part time basis. Maybe he can mentor someone as the assistant OL coach.

Our use of the zone blocking system was clearly not up to Denver/Atlanta's levels. Time to go get the master and let him have a crack at it.

What do you guys think?

I like it good call...........:)

Because of his depression he has been in and out of football the last several years. Everytime he wanted out the Falcons would offer him less responsibilities and time commitment. This last year he was only working about 3 days a week, midweek. Gibbs is in his mid 60s and I think he ready to retire full time.

What better city is there for Gibbs to offer him a chance to continue to work as a coach and get top notch medical attention for his manic depression than Houston? Surely, the Texans could work out some kind of contract to help him in treatment for his condition. :hmmm:

Correct me please if I am wrong, but coaches salaries do not count against the cap if I remember correctly. IF that is the case, and Bob McNair is as committed to winning as much as he says he is, there should be NO reason why the Texans don't do whatever it takes to reel Gibbs into Houston, even if it's just on a part-time consult basis.

The O-line has been arguably the number 1 plague of this team since it's inception. Gibbs is considered the mastermind of the O-line. If he isn't coaching on this team next year, and there isn't some earth shattering reason why he didn't come, I will be truly baffled.

Correct me please if I am wrong, but coaches salaries do not count against the cap if I remember correctly. IF that is the case, and Bob McNair is as committed to winning as much as he says he is, there should be NO reason why the Texans don't do whatever it takes to reel Gibbs into Houston, even if it's just on a part-time consult basis.

The O-line has been arguably the number 1 plague of this team since it's inception. Gibbs is considered the mastermind of the O-line. If he isn't coaching on this team next year, and there isn't some earth shattering reason why he didn't come, I will be truly baffled.

Basically, Gibbs does not want to coach anymore.

Basically, Gibbs does not want to coach anymore.

It's all speculation, but that may not be necessarily true. See Adam Schefter's report below:

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9908198

ALEX THE GREAT
Lost in the shuffle of Jim Mora's firing was this development -- Atlanta also lost coaching consultant Alex Gibbs, one of the top offensive line coaches in NFL history.

In each of Alex Gibbs' three seasons with Atlanta, the Falcons led the NFL in rushing. Gibbs notified the Falcons in December he would not return, and he now is awaiting his next coaching move from the comforts of his home in Arizona.
Gibbs is regarded as one of the rare coaches who can overhaul a team's running game, have an impact on its passing game and improve an entire offense. He did it with the Raiders, the Chiefs, the Broncos and the Falcons -- and he will do it for whichever team hires him next.

His price tag never is cheap. But the results Gibbs gets are undeniable. Any team that wants one of the league's top rushing offenses can be assured of getting what it wants by hiring Gibbs, one of the highest-profile free agents now available.

I would love to get gibbs in here... I think we need to improve our coaching staff quite a bit. I was not a fan of calhoun, and at first I was of Sherman, but he kind of watered down our idenity u know?

We need a coaching staff all going in the same direction, and I think Gibbs would give us a lot of veteran coaching that we need with a young staff.

Well it looks like Gibbs isn't an option here, at least in the opinion of John McClain.

I wrote him an E-mail to ask him his opinion regarding Gibbs coming to Houston, and this was his response back.

Ashley,

Gibbs is not a candidate here. Kubiak was interested originally. As you know, Alex hasn't worked full time since he retired from the Broncos and became a consultant. Even with the Falcons, he had an assistant. Kubiak is at a point where he needs a full-time commitment from all of his coaches.

Take care.

john

Well it looks like Gibbs isn't an option here, at least in the opinion of John McClain.

I wrote him an E-mail to ask him his opinion regarding Gibbs coming to Houston, and this was his response back.

Ashley,

Gibbs is not a candidate here. Kubiak was interested originally. As you know, Alex hasn't worked full time since he retired from the Broncos and became a consultant. Even with the Falcons, he had an assistant. Kubiak is at a point where he needs a full-time commitment from all of his coaches.

Take care.

john

Damn that sucks. I hope John is wrong on this one. I wouldn't mind if Gibbs still has an assistant if he came here. I guess Kubiak would, but a man can dream can't he?

Kind of a funny aside here....

Dan Neil has an afternoon radio show in Austin. I try to listen when I get a chance.

They were talking about the HS coach in the news who was abusing his players.

Then they asked Dan Neil who was the most abusive coach that he ever had. Sure enough, he said it was his OL coach in Denver, Alex Gibbs.

Ashley,

Take care.

john

If that turns out to be true then I will be really disappointed in Kubiak. As the Head Coach of the Texans it is his job to use every resource that he has available to make the Texans the best that they can be, and if that means hiring a guy as a consultant then so be it. Alex Gibbs could come to Houston and analyze the entire O-line as well as all of the O-line prospects that are available in Free Agency and the Draft to help the Texans maximize the value of their Draft picks by being able to pick O-linemen in later rounds that will fit their system. After doing all of that he could still periodically come to Houston and help the O-line Coaches and O-linemen refine their technique. If Kubiak is unable to see the kind of positive effect that Gibbs could have on this team even in only a part time role as a consultant then maybe he wasn't ready to be a Head Coach after all or is it possible that Kubiak has some kind of problem sharing the credit for turning the Texans around with Alex Gibbs?

Back