Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kasey Studdard - Yesterday

zcity

Practice Squad
Am I the only one who was watching this guy yesterday ?

This guy CAN PLAY !!!!!

He was busting open holes for Lundy and Gado.

He was pulling and blowing out 2 guys at a time.

He was (and this was most suprprising) impressive in pass protection - on one play in particular - he got beat on an outside stunt but had the mobility to recover an make a saving block for Sage. He also made some great decisions on blitz pick up.

On one play where his man made the tackle it was after he punched his man back a few yards and the tackle was made after a 5 yard pick up on the ground.

This guy is going to push Chester !!!!

GP

Go Texans!
i saw one play (pass protection) where a defender was coming at him trying to scoot through a hole and studdard took him and threw him into the defender 3 ft to the left of him taking out both of them. color me impressed. i don't care what string you're playing against...having the thought process (as well as the strength) to throw a defender into another defender is genius at work. as well as hilarious.
I didn't watch him that closely.

Can you remember (roughly) when this happened? Can you tell me the quarter and roughly how many minutes were left? I'd like to see it.

zcity

Practice Squad
I'm gonna rewatch soon and i'll post it later.

2nd half, obviously - most of 3rd quarter and 1st 5 mins of 4th from what i remember

I didn't watch him that closely.

Can you remember (roughly) when this happened? Can you tell me the quarter and roughly how many minutes were left? I'd like to see it.

Line_Producer

Party Rocker
Some of his earlier quotes were along the lines of 'I hate to see my quarterback touched.' I love to see that sort of mindset from a footballer. It was a beautiful thing to see it at work. Plus the beard is solid gold. A maniacal grizzly Adams, if you will. :respect:

R

real

Studdard was a beast yesterday...

I too saw the play where he picked up the blitzing defender and knocked him into another defender basically destroying anything the defense had going on the interior of the line...

I saw him make some awesome blocks down field too...
I can't think of who it was right now, but there was another lineman that I saw some pretty awesome blocks for....

The whole second and third units played pretty well collectively too...

If you go back and look and pay attention to the line you will see some great clocks out of those groups...

Goldensilence

hipster elite
:) never said that just thought it was funny that once again word goes out that a player has a coaching connection and some people were outright accusing Kubiak of Cronyism. I always thought...hey maybe after watching him play at UT...maybe the kid could play.

Some people o nthis board on outright paranoid when it comes to even the slightest connection with any prior connection to one of our coaches and i find it rather amusing.

Silver Oak

All Pro
I think it was xtru who first alerted me that Studdard had a good game. Man...that is great to hear as the talk when he got here was that he didn't fit our blocking schemes.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
What I liked about Studdard was that he pass blocked with his head up. Unlike some of our other linemen, he knows when to stay with initial assignment and when to slide off. Kasey has the technique and he has the feel for pass blocking. But, he does have a weird looking body. Like a Samoan, short legs & long torso.

Wolf

100% Texan
geeze if only we could draft tackles like we draft Guards

well if our Tackle positions weren't jinxed I should say
(esp LT)

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Where are the people who claimed he was only picked cause of his family connection with Kubiak?:wild:
One of them is right here, and I still believe that was a factor. But I have no problem with a person securing a job for their relative thru a personal connection to Kubiak if the relaive is otherwise qualified for the position he's drafted to play.
Initially I didn't think Studdard was qualified because I mistakenly thought we were still running a dominate blocking scheme not suited for Studdard.
And I got a glimpse of Studdard on a play or 2 yesterday and he impressed.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
We have a lot of good young talent on the line now (when healthy) I think things are looking up in that department.

Now answer me this, Studdard ever played any Centre???

I like the thought of Spencer - Pitts - Studdard - Weary - Winston.

Wolf

100% Texan
? i would say kubiak/smith are 2/2 on drafting tackles....how can you ask for more than that? it's not anybody's fault except ron dayne that we're hurting for a lt.
I agree with that.. that is why I put the Jinx thing in... LT has been a jinx for us...injuries, drafting etc

Studdard impressed me last night. But then again, he impressed me during the Rose Bowl, and he continued to impress me last year. He has the tenacity of Zach Thomas, and I think he will make an excellent lineman. For a sixth-rounder, Studdard seems to have a good chance of making the 53-man roster cut. And the Texans are finally going to start winning now that they have a Longhorn on the bench. :)

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Hey, who would be upset at Pitts at LT and Studdard at LG? IMO, Pitts showed the chops to play LT and would would hold the position down nicely til Spencer is healthy. This, at least, isn't as radical as an earlier thread of mine about moving Faggins to FS. I STILL kinda like that idea, but we have other options there, now.

According to the depth chart a week or so ago, Studdard was number 2 behind Pitts. So Pitts having gone down, you'd think Studdard would play. Instead, McKinney did. Fine. Weary goes down. Now maybe Studdard plays? Nope. Brisiel(spelling?). So Studdard is pretty low on the totem pole. If Winston was a project last year and only brought in as a last-ditch effort on the right side, I can't help but think at least the same for Studdard. As much as I like him, he needs time to develop, so if he is on the starting line-up, you will know the o-line has been hit with the injury bug.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Studdard was a beast yesterday...

I too saw the play where he picked up the blitzing defender and knocked him into another defender basically destroying anything the defense had going on the interior of the line...

I saw him make some awesome blocks down field too...
I can't think of who it was right now, but there was another lineman that I saw some pretty awesome blocks for....

The whole second and third units played pretty well collectively too...

If you go back and look and pay attention to the line you will see some great clocks out of those groups...
It might have been Brisiel. IMO, he came in when Weary went down and played well. It appears that he's made alot of progress since last season.:cool:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one who was watching this guy yesterday ?

This guy CAN PLAY !!!!!

He was busting open holes for Lundy and Gado.

He was pulling and blowing out 2 guys at a time.

He was (and this was most suprprising) impressive in pass protection - on one play in particular - he got beat on an outside stunt but had the mobility to recover an make a saving block for Sage. He also made some great decisions on blitz pick up.

On one play where his man made the tackle it was after he punched his man back a few yards and the tackle was made after a 5 yard pick up on the ground.

This guy is going to push Chester !!!!

Cosign, i usually don't watch the O-line play, but i was rather impressed with his play.