Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans v Falcons review - odds and ends

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
I have reviewed the game twice after watching once and am only commenting on our defense in blitz and third down situations.

1st Quarter

Texans Defense
1st Falcons Possession
Falcons 3rd and 3 Texans force the 3 and out

2nd Possession
3rd and 3 Texans blitz sending 6 (Clark and Ryans) Jenkins goes for 28. Very soft middle that is accentuated by CC Brown not recognizing Jenkins dragging or the softness in the middle from 15 yards back.

3rd and 4 Clark unloads on Crumpler for incomplete pass, FG

3rd Possession
1st and 10 Texans blitz sending 6 (Brown and Ryans) on a run. Brown guesses wrong on the hole to penetrate.

3rd and 1 Run for 1st down by Pinner

3rd & 4 on the the 5 yard line pass to Jenkins for TD

Texans Offense
I accounted for five runs to the right and one to the left. Outside of Dayne's one nice run on a cutback that had Flanagan providing a nice seal, there was no beast in Leach and no feel for running the ball from Dayne. Dayne is awful as a featured back, in case anyone forgot, outside of Madison that is.

Schaub managed the game, the offensive line held its ground. Davis makes a great catch to answer the Falcons FG to put us up.

Special Teams
Our first Punt Return we have a block in the back. On our first punt we are called for holding.

It was an ugly first quarter, 10-7 Falcons. The demise of Flanagan was not evident. The lack of feel from CC Brown and the fact that Dayne looked like Augustus Goop running in lederhosen did not help our cause.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
2nd Quarter

Texans Defense
1st Falcons Possession
1st and 10 CC Brown on delayed Blitz, Falcons run the ball for minimal gain

Blitz (did not note the down and distance but shortly thereafter) with 6 players on the line, Harrington audibles to what apears to be a pitch but holds onto the ball to what appears to be a busted play and is sacked. Hold is called on TJ.

On the next play we show 6 on the line again and Brown and Ryans blitz for loss behind the LOS, this was a running play.

3rd and 10 Mario gets pressure from the outside forcing Harrington to vacate the pocket and Amobi cleans up.

2nd Possession
First snap we show a 3 man front and Harrington makes a pass which results in Faggins getting a flag for illegal contact.

3rd and 2 Roll out to the right Harrington finds Jenkins who brushes off Fletcher (I think it was his breath or may be there was a draft in the end zone that took Fletcher out of the play)

3rd Possession
2nd and 2 Texans show blitz, Harrington audibles (to a run), Ryans and Greenwood come in and the Falcons make the line to gain.

1st and 10 Texans come on a delayed, and slow, blitz from Clark and Greenwood. Faggins called for the PI in the EZ.

3rd and Goal Texans blitz, Dunta disrupts the pass and goes off gingerly.

Texans hold to a FG.

Texans Offense
I accounted for two runs to the right, one to the left and Cook on a draw up the gut.

Leach's fumble was a killer. Our FB's are killing us in our passing game and we carry four TE's - at this point something has got to give to release someone as we are getting zero return at these positions in the passing game outside of Daniels. In the running game I only see Leach being effective. 6 roster spots are to many for this feeble productivity in my opinion when we have glaring needs or lack of depth elsewhere.

3rd and 1 we run right with Dayne and get stuffed. Looked like the wrong play call by us and the right one by the Falcons.

Next play 4th and 2, we may have made the right play call, but Schaub passes, when he may have had another second, to Leach who is behind the line to gain and is stopped short.

Next possession (2:00 minute drill) 2nd and 2 Schaub passes to Cook in bounds and short of the line to gain. Bad decision by Schaub. Texans exhaust last TO.

:23 2nd and 10 - Draw play to Cook coming off clock stoppage. Why we did not call two passing plays in the huddle to take a shot and/or get inch closer with an out is beyond me. Instead we spike it and send out the Brown.

20-10 Falcons at half. The demise of Flanagan was not evident. I'll post the rest tomorrow.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Kaiser is big on rewatching games.

I am big on replacing CC Brown and Petey Faggins.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and I've brought this up before, but I don't think Leach has been the monster all season that he was before he got his money. I'm sorry, but last year, even on TV, I could see him dashing in there and busting heads with somebody. Now, I don't even notice him. I just see no hole and he sort of dissappears from the picture right before Dayne falls on his linemen--who didn't give him a hole....or it closed up before he got his slow butt to it. Something like that. :gun:

maddogmrb

Rookie
Thanks Kaiser.

3 things are evident to me:

1) The blitz was effective at times and we need to strategically use it EVERY game.

2) With more talent at OLB and S and CB (OLB speed in particular) our blitz packages could be awesome.

3) Leach is not producing as he did last year. He was one of the highlights of this team last year ......... so far this year, a lowlight.:d:

quicksilver

Overweight
Thanks Kaiser.

1) The blitz was effective at times and we need to strategically use it EVERY game.

2) With more talent at OLB and S and CB (OLB speed in particular) our blitz packages could be awesome.

3) Leach is not producing as he did last year. He was one of the highlights of this team last year ......... so far this year, a lowlight.:d:

Recall last season--in the Texans' first three games Kubiak wanted to get pressure with just the front four so our back seven could cover. The rest of the season he eased up the restrictions on Richard Smith, allowing the D to blitz, and we were a top 10 D.

Regarding 2), after the '06 draft, Kubiak said it could take four drafts like that to make this team complete. I think we're pretty much all satisfied with the '06 and '07 drafts, but, as Kubes said, we haven't been able to fill all the holes. Next offseason we quite clearly have to address FS and CB#2. In the meantime, this coaching staff needs to get better at minimizing the damage done by our weaknesses at these positions.

alphajoker

Veteran
1st Quarter
2nd Possession
3rd and 3 Texans blitz sending 6 (Clark and Ryans) Jenkins goes for 28. Very soft middle that is accentuated by CC Brown not recognizing Jenkins dragging or the softness in the middle from 15 yards back.
I haven't had a chance to review the whole game, but I do remember this play distinctly, and I think that the fault should have been on Greenwood. He followed the WR coming from the right, and as a result, Jenkins came underneath to where Greenwood should have been and he was wide open. I think even the announcers were surprised that he was untouched, because if Greenwood would have been there, Weaver would have gotten the sack, if I recall.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
2nd Quarter

Texans Defense
1st Falcons Possession
1st and 10 CC Brown on delayed Blitz, Falcons run the ball for minimal gain

Blitz (did not note the down and distance but shortly thereafter) with 6 players on the line, Harrington audibles to what apears to be a pitch but holds onto the ball to what appears to be a busted play and is sacked. Hold is called on TJ.

On the next play we show 6 on the line again and Brown and Ryans blitz for loss behind the LOS, this was a running play.

3rd and 10 Mario gets pressure from the outside forcing Harrington to vacate the pocket and Amobi cleans up.

2nd Possession
First snap we show a 3 man front and Harrington makes a pass which results in Faggins getting a flag for illegal contact.

3rd and 2 Roll out to the right Harrington finds Jenkins who brushes off Fletcher (I think it was his breath or may be there was a draft in the end zone that took Fletcher out of the play)

3rd Possession
2nd and 2 Texans show blitz, Harrington audibles (to a run), Ryans and Greenwood come in and the Falcons make the line to gain.

1st and 10 Texans come on a delayed, and slow, blitz from Clark and Greenwood. Faggins called for the PI in the EZ.

3rd and Goal Texans blitz, Dunta disrupts the pass and goes off gingerly.

Texans hold to a FG.

Texans Offense
I accounted for two runs to the right, one to the left and Cook on a draw up the gut.

Leach's fumble was a killer. Our FB's are killing us in our passing game and we carry four TE's - at this point something has got to give to release someone as we are getting zero return at these positions in the passing game outside of Daniels. In the running game I only see Leach being effective. 6 roster spots are to many for this feeble productivity in my opinion when we have glaring needs or lack of depth elsewhere.

3rd and 1 we run right with Dayne and get stuffed. Looked like the wrong play call by us and the right one by the Falcons.

Next play 4th and 2, we may have made the right play call, but Schaub passes, when he may have had another second, to Leach who is behind the line to gain and is stopped short.

Next possession (2:00 minute drill) 2nd and 2 Schaub passes to Cook in bounds and short of the line to gain. Bad decision by Schaub. Texans exhaust last TO.

:23 2nd and 10 - Draw play to Cook coming off clock stoppage. Why we did not call two passing plays in the huddle to take a shot and/or get inch closer with an out is beyond me. Instead we spike it and send out the Brown.

20-10 Falcons at half. The demise of Flanagan was not evident. I'll post the rest tomorrow.
I did not see Flanagan as far as any obvious, blatant mistake.
Winston probably had the best performance.
Pitts can do better, but he was the pulling guard for a better part of this game, he had more responsibilties.
Weary was weak at times.
They should have given Salaam more help, especially toward the end.
(Was my thought going into the game).
Abraham came off the snap as quickly as any player ever could, I would swear he was this close"" to being offside.
I give Salaam a lot of credit, but we did need some help toward the end.

Rex King

Waterboy
Thanks Kaiser.

I think strategically is the key. Here's a quote from Kubiak:
“We blitzed plenty last week. We came 27 times. A lot of it was in the run game..."
That's maybe every two or three plays they were blitzing. But the blitz to success ratio when it came to presuring the QB was pretty bad in my estimation. They didn't blitz much the first two games and were able to get more pressure. Is the Falcons' o-line and offense better than the Panthers'? I think no. 2 is the problem. Aside from DeMeco and Dunta (not counting guys like Charlie Anderson and Shante Orr), none of the back seven have shown themselves to be very good at rushing the passer.

Last year they also did a lot of zone blitzing, rushing Shante or someone else and dropping Mario or Weaver back in coverage. I haven't seen them do this, something they mentioned on 610.

Thanks for the review KT.

R

real

C.C is a good SS....

But people are going to see what they want to see.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Ahem...

C.C is a good SS....

He may, but he was not so good last Sunday in the first half. I am not saying a half makes a player, but there is room for improvement from that half.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
C.C is a good SS....

Brown is an average to below average starter in the NFL imo....but he is a good reserve SS ....so I don't consider him a quality starter. It's not what I want to see either....I'd rather see one hell of a SS. He makes a few big hits but he takes poor angles at times and isn't as intuitive as the better SS players in the NFL.