Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Charles Spencer doubtful to play this season

rollinstone18

let it bleed
Kubiak just said "it doesn't look good" as far as Spencer playing this year. He sounded confident he would play in the future though.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Basically what we've expected for some time now, so no surprise.
But Kubiak did still seem confidant of his longer-term return, next year in
2008 in other words.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
I think we need to draft a new LT for the future. Putting our hands in a guy who missed almost all of 2006 and probably going to miss the entire 2007 season just doesn't sound too promising.

gtexan02

Working?
Just once I wish the Texan FO would tell us the TRUTH about an injury, rather than getting our hopes up and then letting us down
At the rate theyve been going, i fully expect his injury to be career ending

Scooter

Funky
i was having such a good day. :crying: :thud:

i had such high hopes for spencer and possibly unrealistic expectations from the short time we got to see him. i truely believe that if spencer is able to play, he's going to be one of the best linemen in football. it still may happen, but at this rate he's lost 2 full years of training and conditioning, and there's no telling if he'll ever be fully healed even his does play again.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
I fully expect his injury to be career ending
That's the way I see it, Kubiak's comments about 'next season' not withstanding. I love him as a coach, but I don't trust his predictions regarding players' future health not one bit.

If Spencer does come back next year to be a halfway servicable lineman, I'll tremendously surprised.

But I don't see it turning out that way.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I agree. So do we go LT or RB first?
The Texans are in great need of a RB, LT, safety and corner, and we don't have a 2nd round pick next year. Probably whoever is the best at the position we draft at. Green has shown the line can block good enough to put up a semi-decent running game if we have someone who is capable of running the ball.

I'd draft a RB in the first, and take pot luck with the rest of the draft. It's always possible we might pick up a decent enough safety or corner in FA.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
The Texans are in great need of a RB, LT, safety and corner, and we don't have a 2nd round pick next year. Probably whoever is the best at the position we draft at. Green has shown the line can block good enough to put up a semi-decent running game if we have someone who is capable of running the ball.

I'd draft a RB in the first, and take pot luck with the rest of the draft. It's always possible we might pick up a decent enough safety or corner in FA.
I think we should go after Michael Turner as our RB. Chris Taylor will be healthy and we should still have Green. Then spend all of our earlier picks on DB's, OL, and a mid to late round LB or BPA.

Tailgate

Fall of Hame

Found this link for 2008 free agents. Dont know much about this guy.... but sounds decent for a #2 and a good option while Bennett learns the ropes:

CB Drayton Florence, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Florence has held onto his starting spot over Antonio Cromartie when it was thought that Cromartie would win the job early. However, the veteran showed his resolve and stepped up his play since having his position challenged. Florence is not a shutdown type of player, but he does make plays when he needs to most of the time and he had three interceptions in 2006. The Chargers can probably afford to let him hit the market, and the best bet is that Florence will find a starting position somewhere else come next season.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsDB.html

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
I think we should go after Michael Turner as our RB. Chris Taylor will be healthy and we should still have Green. Then spend all of our earlier picks on DB's, OL, and a mid to late round LB or BPA.
I just want them to revisit the theory of "It's the system: any RB, and late round o-lineman will work".

Then they can investigate how well the Denver and Green Bay pedigree thing is working out.

drewmar74

disgruntled
I'm hoping we'll get a good run-stopping defensive end and maybe a solid mike linebacker.... Draft those in rounds 1 and 3 then go bargain shopping in 4-7 for a couple of WR's, RB, C, and LT. :gun:

Actually, I think in rounds 1 and 3 we should take RB, C, or LT - BPA. Rounds 4-7 go after depth at the other positions including whichever of the three above didn't get selected.

Of course, I'm not a general manager and my ineptitude at personnel decisions is demonstrated weekly in fantasy football.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Outside of QBs & WRs, Smith-Kubiak seem to stick with their roots and therfor have an aversion to drafting offensive players in the top round. And we are set at those positions. So unless we get a DB(s) in FA, I'd kinda expect us to go that in the Draft. But they might surprise and got OT, since this coming Draft is so strong at that poisition.

rollinstone18

let it bleed
I'm hoping we'll get a good run-stopping defensive end and maybe a solid mike linebacker.... Draft those in rounds 1 and 3 then go bargain shopping in 4-7 for a couple of WR's, RB, C, and LT. :gun:

Actually, I think in rounds 1 and 3 we should take RB, C, or LT - BPA. Rounds 4-7 go after depth at the other positions including whichever of the three above didn't get selected.

Of course, I'm not a general manager and my ineptitude at personnel decisions is demonstrated weekly in fantasy football.
The coaches like Chris White, a 24 yr old center. He may just earn starting time this season. So you can probably mark center off as a poistion of need.

With the injury he had, this is a long-time coming. I don't think the Texans were hiding anything. At least, I never saw anything but this as the inevitable outcome. Everybody knew it was a knee injury, and only time would tell if he really healed from it.

Unfortunately for Big Nasty, I think his career is over. It's time for the Texans to look to the future and bring in a new left tackle.

drewmar74

disgruntled
The coaches like Chris White, a 24 yr old center. He may just earn starting time this season. So you can probably mark center off as a poistion of need.
I sincerely hope and pray that you are correct. That would be wonderful because the draft can be hit or miss (wow - newsflash, right?)

Anyone know any particular reason he's not seeing any time? Too raw? Great physical skills but still learning the position? Rehabbing from injury and not quite 100%?

Just askin'.......

What I heard is that the coaches had a hard time deciding between Flanagan and McKinney. They liked McKinney because of his ability to play anywhere, but they thought he was the better center and played him. Flanagan is now playing because he is the clear #2. I'm not sure that anyone will see more time unless somebody is injured.

rollinstone18

let it bleed
I sincerely hope and pray that you are correct. That would be wonderful because the draft can be hit or miss (wow - newsflash, right?)

Anyone know any particular reason he's not seeing any time? Too raw? Great physical skills but still learning the position? Rehabbing from injury and not quite 100%?

Just askin'.......
He may not be ready yet. That or Kubiak is just loyal to a fault.

badboy

Hall of Fame
IMO, we should shop free agency for CB and center as we have money and some good CB are avail in comparison to RB,LT or FS. We go LT, RB, FS BPA in draft.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity

With how well our run D has been this year I'm not sure that this is a concern.

As for Spencer, I've been "I hope he just gets back at all" mode since training camp so I say give him all the time he needs.

Does putting him on IR free up a roster spot?

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
With how well our run D has been this year I'm not sure that this is a concern.

As for Spencer, I've been "I hope he just gets back at all" mode since training camp so I say give him all the time he needs.

Does putting him on IR free up a roster spot?
you missed the sarcasm

he was on the pup list so he wasnt taking a roster spot.. so no no extra roster spot..

seriously what realistic person can be surpriosed by spencer not playing this season

gjmac2

Waterboy
Why does everyone assume he will never play again?

The Texans, as an organization, take their time when dealing with injuries (Andre Johnson, Ahman Green, etc.). I think it's to early to jump to conclusions about Spencer never playing again.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
seriously what realistic person can be surprised by spencer not playing this season
It's got nothing to do with being realistic. It has everything to do, for some, who haven't being paying close attention.

Wolf

100% Texan
very old news but searching around is all i could find about an update

oct 18th
• LT Charles Spencer could play in 2008. ''We don't have any doubt that he's going to be able to play football again,'' Kubiak said. ''We're looking at next year, and I think we've really been working toward that the whole time. As a matter of fact, I saw him this morning. He looks good. You would never know he has the problem he has. That was a very serious injury and for the fact that he will be back and play going into next year is good for our franchise. It's very unfortunate.''
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/10/kubiak_schaub_e.html

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I think we need to draft a new LT for the future. Putting our hands in a guy who missed almost all of 2006 and probably going to miss the entire 2007 season just doesn't sound too promising.
Not only that, but he has never really played in the NFL. And before that he barely played left tackle because he played on the defensive line before that.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
CB Drayton Florence, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Drayton Florence was the player that gave Schaub his concussion when we played the Chargers. With Bennett clearly starting next season, the uncertainty about Dunta Robinson's horrific injury leads me to believe we really need another CB. We need 3 good cb's on our team to be successful against the pass and allow our DL that extra second to pressure the QB. If Dunta comes back 100% healthy for game 1 (which I'm personally skeptical about) and Bennett playing..I still think we need 1 more solid CB. I'd be fine with getting Florence so long as he doesn't hit schaub in practice!

Not only that, but he has never really played in the NFL. And before that he barely played left tackle because he played on the defensive line before that.

That's what I've been saying as well. Spencer has played all of what? A game and a half in the NFL until he got injured? He'll be out for two whole seasons with no game experience, no practice experience etc.

Going into next season expecting Spencer to be our Franchise Left Tackle seems extremely foolish to me.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
That's what I've been saying as well. Spencer has played all of what? A game and a half in the NFL until he got injured? He'll be out for two whole seasons with no game experience, no practice experience etc.

Going into next season expecting Spencer to be our Franchise Left Tackle seems extremely foolish to me.
You forget that posters were projecting him to the Pro Bowl - during pre-season.

A tad premature.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I don't even understand why reporters even ask questions about the guy. As if he was a primetime player for us when he wasn't injured. I can't even tell you the guys number.