Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Time for Martyball or CowherPower. We need a tough blue collar attitude

TexansFight

Veteran
Seriously, if I was Bob McNair I would have been on the phone immediately after yesterday's embarrassment with BOTH of these guys to see who is interested into coming in and fixing this mess. I know this, both Cowher and Marty would hold our players accountable and wastes of space like Faggins and Ron Dayne would not see the field. You think Cowher would tolerate a team that does NOTHING when their QB gets nearly decapitated on a cheap shot.

Marty has a great track record in turning around programs and fielding playoff caliber teams. Yes his teams have choked and folded in the playoffs. At this point, I WOULD love to have a team in the playoffs finally. I wax nostalgic for the R&S Oilers since that is the last time I rooted for a winning Houston NFL team.

The Texans are a cash cow. McNair needs to pony up whatever it will cost to get winners in here to turn this mess around. This is a blue collar town that craves a hard hitting, hard working team that is a winner. We have a team that plays like gutless pansies. We need to burn this thing to the ground and start from the ground up with a guy like Cowher or Marty.

Kubes will be here at least another 2 seasons regardless of the result. However, it's WAY too early to start coming down on Kubiak.

Kubes will be here at least another 2 seasons regardless of the result. However, it's WAY too early to start coming down on Kubiak.
I donno about that. This Texans team isn't even competitive. They have not looked like a NFL team the last 3 weeks giving up 108 points between the Jags, Chargers and Titans. This team has been outcoached and plays soft. Not a good combination.

Frankly I just think we need someone like that on defense. A defensive coordinator with a take no prisoners, hit them in the mouth attitude. I think the offense will be OK

Kubes gets to be the goat. Let him go to A&M and find someone better.

Garrett
Martz
Saunders
Rivera
Pees (NE D-Coordinator)

All would be a good fit

No matter how much money McNair has, who wants to come to Houston?

If you are a respected coach, you want to go to a great situation. Houston situation is uh, not the bestest.

We have a greater likelihood to be able to get quality assistants than head coaches. McNair is not afraid to pay assistants.

Marty and Cowher are available right now. Both would be a serious upgrade in coaching. Kubiak is not head coaching material. I think he knew that himself and that is why he never went after a HC gig while married to the hip with Shanahan. From everything that I read, Shanahan was the brains behind the Denver offense and still had tremendous amount of control over offensive playcalling.

Kubiak's coaching has been awful. The team is unprepared, the schemes suck, and there is no fire. Repeat with me BURN THIS MOTHERF&$&* DOWN. Start from scratch. I can't take Capers-Kubiak coaching and teams anymore.

No matter how much money McNair has, who wants to come to Houston?

If you are a respected coach, you want to go to a great situation. Houston situation is uh, not the bestest.

We have a greater likelihood to be able to get quality assistants than head coaches. McNair is not afraid to pay assistants.

Yeah I would think that Cowher and Marty would like to go to situations with a established team. We are more likely to get coaches who are still trying to prove themselves, not a superbowl champion like Cowher unless he feels has plenty of years left in him to help build the team.

I was hoping Cowher would get the Giants job (the rumor is he was too), however unless they follow the pattern of the last couple of seasons and fall apart in the second half of the season I don't see Coughlin getting axed.

You can have Marty, I went through enough build up followed by playoff chokes with the Oilers.

I was hoping Cowher would get the Giants job (the rumor is he was too), however unless they follow the pattern of the last couple of seasons and fall apart in the second half of the season I don't see Coughlin getting axed.

You can have Marty, I went through enough build up followed by playoff chokes with the Oilers.
One certain thing about Marty was that his teams were always tough to play, inspired, and most of all...winners. Dude has the same knock that lots of great coaches had not being able to win the big one...but that's better than not being able to build a winning franchise.

We oughtta get a blue-collar defensive mind like that guy in Miami. Word has it that he's one of the best Defensive Coordinators around. :joker:

I would rather be heartbroken in January than bitter by the end of October, year after year, after year, after year, after year, after year......(if anyone's counting that's 6 seasons. :gun: )

As a long-suffereing Texans fan, I would welcome the problem of having a coach who can't win in the playoffs, though has little trouble getting his teams into the palyoffs.
And in particular, I'm a big fan of Marty-Ball.

Cohwer would be my first choice because I think this team is soft. You can't be soft and last on a Cohwer team. Marty would be choice 2. The question is does one of them have so much of an ego that he wants to be the one to be seen as the savior, to show the world how great of a coach he is? Otherwise, they will end up with much better, ready to contend right away teams.

I'm not ready to bail on Kubes at this point UNLESS one of these two is available. Otherwise, he gets at least one more yr from me....of course pending the rest of the season as a caveat. This team needs to show a pulse, and soon.

There probably is very little chance of ever getting a big name coach here and for two reasons:

1. As everyone has said earlier, team is too much in disarray and would require too much work and effort.

2. Bob McNair puts too many requirements on coaches so they can't do their job effectively. A good coach is not going to be told what to do when it comes to winning. One good example, the Carr extension.

The biggest problem the Texans have when it comes to winning is Bob McNair. You can't run an NFL football team by selecting coaches and players according to white-collar corporate standards.

Cohwer would be my first choice because I think this team is soft. You can't be soft and last on a Cohwer team. Marty would be choice 2. The question is does one of them have so much of an ego that he wants to be the one to be seen as the savior, to show the world how great of a coach he is? Otherwise, they will end up with much better, ready to contend right away teams.

I'm not ready to bail on Kubes at this point UNLESS one of these two is available. Otherwise, he gets at least one more yr from me....of course pending the rest of the season as a caveat. This team needs to show a pulse, and soon.

I want Richard Smith gone. He has shown nothing. He has no track record. His defense is rated like crap with both offense and defense. And he comes across as a out of touch buffoon.

I see at least some life on the offensive side of the ball, even if it is put together like some sort of McGuyver thingy of duct tape, chewing gum, and random practice squad players.

The team likes Kubiak generally. I can't say the same thing about Smith.

I want Richard Smith gone. He has shown nothing. He has no track record. His defense is rated like crap with both offense and defense. And he comes across as a out of touch buffoon.

I see at least some life on the offensive side of the ball, even if it is put together like some sort of McGuyver thingy of duct tape, chewing gum, and random practice squad players.

I also want a new DB coach, I think Hoke gets too much credit for Dunta's rookie season and Glenn on the oppisite side. This secondary never forces any TOs and is continually among the bottom of the league in just about every catagory. I think a new voice would be good for our secondary.

There probably is very little chance of ever getting a big name coach here and for two reasons:

1. As everyone has said earlier, team is too much in disarray and would require too much work and effort.

2. Bob McNair puts too many requirements on coaches so they can't do their job effectively. A good coach is not going to be told what to do when it comes to winning. One good example, the Carr extension.

The biggest problem the Texans have when it comes to winning is Bob McNair. You can't run an NFL football team by selecting coaches and players according to white-collar corporate standards.
It would be interesting to see just how a really capable NFL coach would do with this talent. Is it yesterday bad, or actually closer to what we saw in Charlotte ?
The price to land a big name coach, if its possible, clearly would be the whole package - GM/HC package. I dunno if McNair would pay that price, but by now he has to be awfully desperate for success no matter what the price.

First things first, Mike Sherman and his gang of Gbay cast offs need to go. I like the idea of having Sherman on board as a sounding board for Kubes but time to go. His input on players he brought is horrible. Second, Smith the D coach should hold Sherman's belt loop so he too can make it out the door without the door slapping his fanny.

The angriest I got was the series after our QB got assassinated by #29 and no one went after Rivers. I don't care if it cost 15yds or a TD but TJ or someone should have leveled their QB. "You don't do that to my QB!" is what ever defensive guy should have been screaming the next 4 downs.

I did not expect a win but I expected the team to look like they knew they were in a football game. That is a coaching issue.

Another good post TC. I pretty much feel the same, but at some point, the buck has to stop here (meaning with Kubes). Exactly how much rope we the fans give him is uncertain, but my patience is beginning to wear thin. He needs to step up, because on game days lately, he is getting his ass handed to him by the opposing coach every week. Wouldn't it have been nice to steal Fisher from Bud? :specnatz:

The angriest I got was the series after our QB got assassinated by #29 and no one went after Rivers. I don't care if it cost 15yds or a TD but TJ or someone should have leveled their QB. "You don't do that to my QB!" is what ever defensive guy should have been screaming the next 4 downs.

Exactly, they do it in baseball. That was a blatant cheap shot.

I donno about that. This Texans team isn't even competitive. They have not looked like a NFL team the last 3 weeks giving up 108 points between the Jags, Chargers and Titans. This team has been outcoached and plays soft. Not a good combination.

both NO and the giants looked the same early on and managed to turn it around

Another good post TC. I pretty much feel the same, but at some point, the buck has to stop here (meaning with Kubes).
I don't disagree on any one point here, but would like to point out that this defense showed great promise at the end of last year. It would have been hard to go in and make a bunch of changes to the defensive coaching staff that looked like it was on the right track. Personally, I didn't think Smith was a good choice when we hired him, but I was on the bandwagon during the training camp and the first two games this season. Lets face it, the defense was flying to the ball early this year.

Also, you have to remember, the defense has been on the field a lot this season (particularly in Jacksonville and Tennesse games). The defense has to be feeling the pain right now. Don't be suprised if there aren't any or at least only minimal changes to the defensive coaching staff this off season.

Can someone please explain to me what has been so terrible about Kubiak? His clock management will get better, and he will learn to stop throwing stupid challenges. Some of his play calling has been suspect, but the first three weeks of the season he looked like a genius. He was throwing the ball down field, and we were running the ball pretty damn well. Now, we can't do any of that. Why? Well we lost the leader of our OL (McKinney), our star RB is broken down and never should have been counted on, and our best WR is out. Yes, Kubiak has looked bad for 5 weeks now. But when we had the pieces, he looked great. Where real coaches show up is what they do when their stars go down. That's when the depth chart comes into play and well guess what: our depth chart sucks!!

Assistants being fired I'm all for. But I'm sorry, Kubiak is not the problem. Why not start calling for Schaub's head after what could have been a 4 INT game if he hadn't been taken out by that cheap shot? But hey it's got to be the Ag's fault right?

I don't think either of these are true.

1.) The ground work is laid, the talent is there. Cowher would have his Blue Collar guys working hard in Schaub, Johnson, and Walter. Cowher knows how to build a dominant Oline and a dominant defense. If you can coach in Pittsburgh you can coach anywhere. I also believe you have coach's out there like Cowher that would love a crack at coaching Williams.

The only draw back, and hold on for this one, we go back to the 34 defense. But at least this guy knows how to run it.

2.) I believe after the Carr and Bush thing has gone down McNair has let Rick Smith run with it bringing in good Talent.

Don't be suprised if there aren't any or at least only minimal changes to the defensive coaching staff this off season.

I really hope you are wrong. I mean can we start a petition for Frank Bush? And get rid of Sherman! I really believe one of the biggest problems Kubiak and our offense are having is they are being pulled in too many different directions with Kubiak's scheme and Sherman's scheme. A team can't have two head coaches!

Can someone please explain to me what has been so terrible about Kubiak?

Have you seen the team play?

Fisher has less talent to work with and year in and year out has his team be competitive, work hard, and win games b/c he understands how to play within his team.

There is no way with the amount of talent Fisher has on the Titans should they in anyway be going to the playoffs and they are. It turns my stomach to even think about it.

Fisher has less talent to work with and year in and year out has his team be competitive, work hard, and win games b/c he understands how to play within his team.

There is no way with the amount of talent Fisher has on the Titans should they in anyway be going to the playoffs and they are. It turns my stomach to even think about it.

Yes I've watched. I've seen an offensive line provide zero pass protection. I've seen my quarterback scared out of his mind. I've seen us have no running game until the slight one we saw yesterday.

Don't get me started on Fisher. Offensive line on a bad day is better than our's at our best. He actually has a running back and has had one for a few years in Chris Brown. Not to mention Chris Henry, Lendale White, Ahmad Hall, etc. Keep trying to find ways to blame Kubiak but don't come back here jumping up and down saying "I told you so!" if Kubiak does something for this team. In my opinion, none of you guys already bashing Kubiak should be a part of it.

We've been exposed. As about the only sane person in here, KJ, said we are only two seasons removed from 2-14. All you guys expecting a miracle season after all of our injuries are obviously on something. But hey, on with the bashing!

Fisher is a very good coach that had 10 draft picks and a ton of money last off season. The team basically set on it's hands during free agency. Their team talent is their own problem.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/teams/titans.html

Fischer consistently gets more out of less than just about any coach in the league.

Oh and our piss poor offense that Kubiak is having such a horrible effect on. Well it's 10th in the league in scoring per game and 9th in yardage per game. Man our play calling sucks! :sarcasm:

Yes I've watched. I've seen an offensive line provide zero pass protection. I've seen my quarterback scared out of his mind. I've seen us have no running game until the slight one we saw yesterday.

We have spent the last six seasons picking high round draft picks and you are telling me that this team still has no talent?

Don't get me started on Fisher. Offensive line on a bad day is better than our's at our best. He actually has a running back and has had one for a few years in Chris Brown. Not to mention Chris Henry, Lendale White, Ahmad Hall, etc. Keep trying to find ways to blame Kubiak but don't come back here jumping up and down saying "I told you so!" if Kubiak does something for this team. In my opinion, none of you guys already bashing Kubiak should be a part of it.
You know why Fisher has all those things? B/C he makes them so. None of those players, not one, could go onto another team and do what they do. You don't lose two hall of fame lineman in five years and keep plugging away like nothing happens unless you are a fantastic caoch.

The Browns! We have more talent than the Browns and they are playing better.

I don't even get that last statement. So what you are saying is that you are hanging with Kubiak so you can say "I told you so" instead of giving an honest evaluation of the team. How many times is Kubiak going to come out to each of his pressers and all but say "I suck as a head coach" before we start to listen?

"Its my fault, I put this loss on us as coach's, we didn't come out prepared, and so on and so on.

We've been exposed. As about the only sane person in here, KJ, said we are only two seasons removed from 2-14. All you guys expecting a miracle season after all of our injuries are obviously on something. But hey, on with the bashing!

2005 was the 2-14 season. Its now 2007 and still playing like 2005.

This is a fluff schedule and we are getting hammered each week.

Kubiak is not the guy. Don't fall in love with players or coach's. Look at the state of your team and give an honest evaluation and admit to yourself what needs to be done so we are not the Cardinals of the AFC.

Oh and our piss poor offense that Kubiak is having such a horrible effect on. Well it's 10th in the league in scoring per game and 9th in yardage per game. Man our play calling sucks! :sarcasm:

You still have to get it into that thing called an End Zone.

Your explosive offensive weapon is not supposed to be your kicker.

I don't think they should get rid of Kubiak, but I definitely think we need to get a new defenisve staff. However, something were to happen and we did get rid of Kubiak, I would want Cohwer because I feel is a better coach than Schottenheimer and he has won in the playoffs.

gotta love what garbage time can do for your stats. I haven't seen a team coached this bad since Hugh Campbell was coaching the Oilers and looking confused the entire time. It's really MUCH worse on the defensive side of the ball...but the offense doesn't look like they are ready to deal with NFL defenses at all lately. I think Hugh always looked at his feet during pressers too.

We have spent the last six seasons picking high round draft picks and you are telling me that this team still has no talent?

Sadly, yes. In the all of our drafts we have come out with a pretty short list of good picks: AJ, DROB, Demeco, OD, and maybe a few others.

You know why Fisher has all those things? B/C he makes them so. None of those players, not one, could go onto another team and do what they do. You don't lose two hall of fame lineman in five years and keep plugging away like nothing happens unless you are a fantastic caoch.

Yes he is a fantastic coach. Maybe better than Kubiak will ever be. But to compare Kubiak to one of the greatest coaches alive is asinine. But to say that Chris Brown or Lendale White wouldn't do anything on another team is questionable.

The Browns! We have more talent than the Browns and they are playing better.

Yes they are better. Joe Jurevicius, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas, Kevin Shaffer, LeCharles Bentley (when he comes back), Jamal Lewis, Orpheus Roye, Andra Davis, Kamerion Wimbley, D'Qwell Jackson, Willie McGinest, Sean Jones,etc. Yes overall, they are a better football team except they have no QB.

I don't even get that last statement. So what you are saying is that you are hanging with Kubiak so you can say "I told you so" instead of giving an honest evaluation of the team. How many times is Kubiak going to come out to each of his pressers and all but say "I suck as a head coach" before we start to listen?

No, I'm hanging with Kubiak because I believe he is a good coach and has already made strides with a terrible team. We have a serious lack of talent and have a long way to go. I really should not have even put the last statement in. It was more of just a rant. Yes, it is quite irritating to hear Kubiak continue saying "The loss is on me." I'm as sick of it as anybody. But what else is he supposed to say? "Man, the team sucked! These guys can't play worth crap." Or "These guys couldn't execute if their lives depended on it." I feel he's taking the high road.

2005 was the 2-14 season. Its now 2007 and still playing like 2005.

This is a fluff schedule and we are getting hammered each week.

Kubiak is not the guy. Don't fall in love with players or coach's. Look at the state of your team and give an honest evaluation and admit to yourself what needs to be done so we are not the Cardinals of the AFC.

When we had our players in, did we look like the 2005 Texans? When we had a center who could run block AND pass protect, did we look like the 2005 Texans?

You still have to get it into that thing called an End Zone.

Your explosive offensive weapon is not supposed to be your kicker.

I'm changing what I originally wrote because much of our scoring has been off of field goals which is ticking me off. So I agree with you here.

gotta love what garbage time can do for your stats. I haven't seen a team coached this bad since Hugh Campbell was coaching the Oilers and looking confused the entire time. It's really MUCH worse on the defensive side of the ball...but the offense doesn't look like they are ready to deal with NFL defenses at all lately. I think Hugh always looked at his feet during pressers too.

Totally agree. Lately, we have looked confused. And honestly, I'd be confused too if I was Kubiak. I'd be confused over what to do with a team with the lack of depth Kubiak is dealing with right now.

You responded too quick for me to change my response. Our red zone offense has sucked, no doubt. We have not gotten into the end zone and that is a problem. My problem with you guys is wait until we get a semblance of a team before calling for the guy's head. When we had a team, we had results. And that included getting in the red zone against some good defenses.

You responded too quick for me to change my response. Our red zone offense has sucked, no doubt. We have not gotten into the end zone and that is a problem. My problem with you guys is wait until we get a semblance of a team before calling for the guy's head. When we had a team, we had results. And that included getting in the red zone against some good defenses.
Kubiak has coached this team for 24 games now. We are no better than when we started despite having "more talent". I'm serious when I say that I haven't seen coaching this bad since we saw the overmatched Hugh Campbell look dazed and confused on the Oiler sideline.

Kubiak has coached this team for 24 games now. We are no better than when we started despite having "more talent". I'm serious when I say that I haven't seen coaching this bad since we saw the overmatched Hugh Campbell look dazed and confused on the Oiler sideline.

Well I guess everything is in the eye of the beholder, because I certainly find it a giant stretch to say we are no better. I just think what we are seeing and finally having to acknowledge is that we will never win without a line. We might be able to do it for a few games, but you can't go a full season with a patch work line. What's been the big difference between week 2 and week 8? Same coach, very different results.

We are no better than when we started despite having "more talent".

And by more talent do you mean more depth? Because if that's what you're saying I have to disagree. When our starters are on the field and doing their jobs, yes we have more talent. Throw in the injuries and get our second stringers on the field and I see the same ole Texans.

This situation is even worse than the Hugh Campbell era Oilers (uhh thanks for bringing back those wonderful memories Vinny). Back then, we at least had MIKE HOLOVAK picking players (yes I remember Ladd was the GM but Mike was the personnel guy, if Mike is still alive and has brain activity he would be the best personnel guy the Texans could have despite being 100 years old). He used our top picks to stock a team loaded with talent and got guys in the later rounds to help as well. We didn't whiff on guys but got studs like Bruce Matthews and Mike Munchak to anchor our line for more than a decade.

We have bad coaching and bad personnel decisions. All the Oilers needed was a good coach in Glanville to turn things around. Our situation is not nearly as good.

LET THE COWHER ERA BEGIN - by wd

someone on another thread said it best when they said, and I am paraphrasing, 'kubiak wasn't ready to be a head coach 5 years ago and I am not sure he is ready even now'...i gotta agree

McNair needs to stop being skimpy on head coaches and make Cowher the highest paid HC in NFL history...just GET IT DONE. Cowher would give us proven HC experience and the ability to win with the players he is given. He managed a program that was constantly losing players and you know he would do wonders with our drafting. I also think he would be willing to work with a guy like Rick Smith who has done a pretty good job to date. Green hasn't worked out but we knew injuries were a possibility. it was a gamble that hasnt paid off and looks less likely to do so as the season progresses.

I tried to give Kubiak some time but its obvious he just gets outcoached on a weekly basis. not necessarily always him, but his coaches and himself get outcoached weekly....journeyman QBs become Unitas and losing teams look like contenders when we face us...that is Coaching. this isn't college football where recruiting matters or stuff like that. Coaching is the MOST important thing in the NFL. When you try and nickle and dime it, you get burned. Kubiak wasn't the best guy for the job when he was hired, he was just one that was willing to work with DC and had the sentimental hometown link. This isn't a popularity contest. He isn't running for mayor. Bottom line. Can he coach and does he have lots of friends who can coach that will come work for him? Cowher trumps Kubiak in that department.

oh and when you look in the camera and say that Mario is playing fine and that you are happy with his work, then you are also a bad head coach. You have to be willing to bench a guy or at least rip him a new one where you may not hear it in the media but you would hear about it in the media after the smoke clears. Mario. Greenwood. Weaver. Everyone. All MIA.

I'll do the right thing as a fan and stick by Schaub as he is just a rookie as a starter and QB is the toughest position to play especially when you have little to no running game post-McKinney and lost your #1 guy. Its not an excuse for his mental mistakes but you can't really judge him yet. richard smith was our 5th choice as DC to begin with and its obvious why that was the case...the guy just sucks. he needs to go....there is talent. it has to be used and if its not playing up to its ability, it must be benched and give hungry guys a chance and let the 'stars' get hungry.

OT - but Dunta should be in the Pro Bowl with how well he is playing this year. Yeah you could argue he cost us the game last week but that would be a bit harsh. He has shown so much heart and skill. We need to get him some freaking help back there. I absolutely love the guy and his heart.

it's obvious we may need a more fiery and demonstrative coach because with our lack of veteran leadership and winning attitude we will never get anywhere. The fact that Smith still has a job is just puzzling. We have NEVER gotten a pash rush against anyone. We have been relatively injury free on our DL as well. No excuses, other teams get a pass rush even if they have to send the kitchen sink at them, but we get no pass rush and we have sense of urgency on either side of the ball.

KUBIAK MUST GO

Best Case Scenario: A&M fires Fran and lures Kubiak from Texans. Texans then hire Cowher, he brings Dick LeBeau out of Pittsurgh, and we sign Alan Faneca, one of his former players. And don't give me this 3-4 or 4-3 garbage. We have players that can play both ways and some would say that Mario (which is where practically all of our $$ is at) may be a good fit as a 3-4 DE. Lord knows he is a crappy 4-3 DE.

Back