Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

We don't have good coaching (getting outcoached again)

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I don't know if I am ready to break out the "Fire Kubes" soap bar yet, however consistently sucking in the 3rd QTR week in and week out is a sign of bad coaching. Teams are adjusting to us at halftime and we are not returing the favor. Just look at the 3rd QTR stats in most of our games.

There are a lot of telltale signs of bad coaching.

1. We play the same "scheme" against every opponent. We don't ever seem to gameplan to our opponent

2. If we run the ball in one game, the next week we give up on it early. Then the next week, we'll run the ball 30 times irrespective of the score or effectiveness

Its very frustrating

Don't you dare.

Don't you question the coach.

According to 98% of the posters here, this is just your typical "growing pains" season. You need five years to evaluate, right?

Oh, wait. That's for quarterbacks. My bad.

How hard will it be for Rick Smith to fire Kubiak? IMO, Smith has been a good hire. Kubiak? Well, I'm doubting he's going to make it.

I guess this means I'm not a real fan anymore. Dang it. :gun:

I don't know if I am ready to break out the "Fire Kubes" soap bar yet, however consistently sucking in the 3rd QTR week in and week out is a sign of bad coaching. Teams are adjusting to us at halftime and we are not returing the favor. Just look at the 3rd QTR stats in most of our games.

gimme a break...it wasn't Kubiak that fumbled the punt or got called for holding on the fumble recovery.

I don't know about firing Kubiak just yet. We'll see how he does with a new set of assistant coaches (Sherman is going to A&M and I'm pretty sure that Richard Smith is a goner at the end of this season). If we look this bad next year, I think it would be an adequate time to pull the plug on the Kubiak project.

In all my years of watching football I have yet to understand the concept behind dropping 9 into coverage. Rushing 3 people is understandable but only rushing 2 is just inviting quarterbacks to let their play develope.

Its hard to coach a team that is physically getting whipped at the point of attack.

It wasn't bad coaching that led to Boulware costing us a takeaway. Nor was it bad coaching that made Jacoby fumble a punt.

Not to mention Weary, White and Schaub all going down with injuries. This is not a game I'm going to put on Kubiak.

Or how about the fact that our linebackers, aside from DeMeco, can't tackle?

The team doesn't look very well coached but at this point you have to coach a perfect game for these players to win. They mess it up at every opportunity. The major mistakes made in this game were on the players 90%.

Or how about the fact that our linebackers, aside from DeMeco, can't tackle?

The team doesn't look very well coached but at this point you have to coach a perfect game for these players to win. They mess it up at every opportunity. The major mistakes made in this game were on the players 90%.

I'm not making a judgement but some would day bad tackling is part of coaching. I'm not sure where I stand on the team. Rigth now I'm slipping to indifference again.

The major mistakes made in this game were on the players 90%.

I'm stunned. No, I am shocked to the core. Somebody help me, I'm thinking I'm having a heart attack.

Someone (besides me) is actually thinking that the players were the most responsible for losing this game??

:perfect10:

I'm not making a judgement but some would day bad tackling is part of coaching. I'm not sure where I stand on the team. Rigth now I'm slipping to indifference again.

That's the other 10%. Those mistakes and bad tackling can be coached but you can only coach so far.

I'm not making a judgement but some would day bad tackling is part of coaching.

And I would make a judgement that those people are ignorant. I never have understood the mentality of those that want to shift the blame to coaches in order to make their favorite players look good.

You can only teach someone to tackle, can't tackle for them.

You can only tell someone how to react in a situation, can't react for them.

Time the players took responsibility for their own actions. Coaches call play, players execute them.

Since Sherman is going to be in the NCAA this time next year I say replace him with a lovable koala to see if it does a better job than he did. If it does than we'll know he TRULY SUCKED! Or course with the Texans' luck the Koala would do a kick-@ss job and become The Raiders head coach the following season.:user:

This is pretty simple: turn the ball over at an inoportune moment. Drop balls on third down. Miss tackles. These are all mental errors. Guess what, we are a young, injured team with a bunch of people in situations they are not comfortable in. Mistakes are made, and we just dont have the talent, particularly on the offensive line, to recover by throwin the ball a bunch of times. We had this game in our grasp when we scored and forced a three and out. An individual error cost us, its that simple.

Honestly, I don't think we got outcoached today. Earlier in the season I would say that we did do a p*ss poor job of managing the clock and looked like crap, but today the players shot themselves in the foot. We had momentum, but the fumbled punt hurt us.

I see these posts that say we were out-coached. I think we were out-manned.

- Their O-line is better than our ability to bring pressure - especially since Richard Smith refuses to blitz.
- Their D-line is better than our O-line, especially after Weary went down. That means their suspect secondary only has to cover 2-3 seconds, unlike ours that has to cover up to 4 seconds - 5 if the QB scrambles a bit.
- Our WR corps, who stepped up when AJ was out, seems to have stepped back down.
- They have 2-3 healthy, productive RBs, we have one. When LenDale White get's done banging you in the first half they bring in Chris Brown's fresh legs in the second half. We have Ron Dayne. And I think their RB productivity is also a reflection of their better O-line as much as talent at the RB position.

We're out manned. And, looking at our schedule, we will continue to be for the rest of the year. If we stay in any of the remaining games it'll be a surprise.

And I would make a judgement that those people are ignorant. I never have understood the mentality of those that want to shift the blame to coaches in order to make their favorite players look good.

Then they never should have gotten rid of Capers, huh? :)

Maybe the coaches actually do have some effect on the team, and the players have some too. Moving Mario around his rookie year when he wasn't ready for that may have been a coaching mistake. Mario not picking up on things too quickly, or not giving his all on every play may be a player problem. Drafting Mario after giving a big bonus to Weaver when they should play the same position may be a front office problem.

These just sum up to one example. When a team is as consistently bad as the Texans and seems to make the same mistakes game after game, year after year - then there are a lot of problems all working together.

Then again, maybe I'm just ignorant too - but I know that is too far fetched to be true. :shades:

- Our WR corps, who stepped up when AJ was out, seems to have stepped back down.

We're out manned. And, looking at our schedule, we will continue to be for the rest of the year. If we stay in any of the remaining games it'll be a surprise.

Interesting observation, which I agree with. With AJ out, the ball got spread around to Walter, Davis, and the tight ends. Now, there is an AJ myopia with the QBs.

In my view, AJ should be given a finite number of plays during a game, for a variety of reasons.

This is pretty simple: turn the ball over at an inoportune moment. Drop balls on third down. Miss tackles. These are all mental errors. Guess what, we are a young, injured team with a bunch of people in situations they are not comfortable in. Mistakes are made, and we just dont have the talent, particularly on the offensive line, to recover by throwin the ball a bunch of times. We had this game in our grasp when we scored and forced a three and out. An individual error cost us, its that simple.

QFT, i'll add to that weather conditions sometimes dictate what you feel comfortable calling but all in all, what you stated above are the main reasons we lost & continue to lose. However there are some things i think kubes needs to get better at.

For example, when you've got a d-line full of speed rushers as Tenn has, you might want to move your Qb's pocket a bit more so your QB isn't a sitting duck & those ends hold for a second. He had schaub doing this on the 1st drive & then he just stopped calling them. Schaub also needs to change his count up to force the d-line to hold back like Sage was doing.

2, have your Qb spreading the ball around a little more. Walter didn't get the ball until the 4th quarter & i believe Daniels had 1 catch on the first drive & wasn't heard from again. He's got to do a better job of giving other guys chances to make plays; give the defense something else to worry about You can't always bank on your QB being able to make it to his 2nd & 3rd reads all the time; some plays need to be called looking for Daniels/Walter/Davis 1st read & then AJ second.

I don't know if he's doing that & the Qb's are bypassing these guys looking straight for AJ every pass play, but.........

Outcoached? I don't think so.

We lose our starting QB and our starting RG and we end the game with a 3rd string RG. Dayne is a serviceable RB but he wouldn't be starting anywhere else. He's a good #2 back. We've already lost 3 DB's. Demps wasn't even in camp and Hutchins is a safety starting at CB.

We lost this game due to injuries and a rookie mistake.

Kubiak did a great job considering what he had to work with. This board however is full of former NFL coaches that can do his job better.

I'm willing to give Kubiak some time. I am done with Richard Smith. No one went down on defense today, his schemes have sucked for the vast majority of the season. Our defense makes everyone look like elite players, even subpar players like Vince Young can come into our house and look like a million dollars. Yes, our defense is lacking in personnel. However, the schemes have looked worse than the players have. I'm curious to see how Kubiak does next season with a new OC and DC (Sherman is going to A&M and I'm almost certain that Smith will be history after this season).

Interesting observation, which I agree with. With AJ out, the ball got spread around to Walter, Davis, and the tight ends. Now, there is an AJ myopia with the QBs.

In my view, AJ should be given a finite number of plays during a game, for a variety of reasons.

That's an interesting question: Are the QBs "myopic"? Do the QBs always look to AJ or is our illustrious O/C calling plays primarily for AJ?

One would think that given that the opposition usually sets out to double AJ, someone else should be open.

I wonder how often we call set plays where AJ is intentionally a decoy and Walter or Davis is the primary target....?

growing pains everybody.. i dont know why everybody thought they'd be nice..

we're a young team and our young guys are hurting us right now as they get experience: OD, JJ, schaub (somewhat), winston, amobi (somewhat also).. bennett's done grand so far but he'll prob mess up once or twice before seasons end

we're a young team and our young guys are hurting us right now as they get experience: OD, JJ, schaub (somewhat), winston, amobi (somewhat also).. bennett's done grand so far but he'll prob mess up once or twice before seasons end

Hey, what is the voice of sanity doing on a message board?? Someone ban this guy!

:sarcasm:

Just want to add to the sentiment that I think Kubes is a good coach, but we can do better with our coordinators. My faith in him is starting to waver a bit this season, but I want him to have a third season to prove himself. He played half the season without his best offensive player, and the other half without his best defensive player. We needed to be better than we have been this year, but I still think he's part of the solution, not the problem.

He messed up in this very game. On the touchdown catch, by Gage I beleive it was, he should have knocked that ball down. It was a simple jump ball pass that VY threw a little too far into the inside. Gage still managed to snag it.

I see good things out of Bennett. He is a ballhawk for sure. If you errantly throw the ball his way he will pick you off. He has good hands, he doesn't drop the easy ones. He has made some good plays on short passes and running plays by coming up and making good tackles. However he is having his rookie mistakes and showing that he is still a bit raw. There are times that he makes some really nice plays. I think it's just about learning and experiencing the game more.

I agree with you there are growing pains, but another problem is that most of our role playing veterans on defense aren't doing anything for us. Weaver has been a bad fit with this defense thus far. Our outside linebackers are also playing poor to average on a consistant basis. Boulware has been a non-factor, however Demps has contributed well, considering his situation at the beginning of the season with the elbow, at a position of serious need.

Was the Boulware-Babin trade worth it? I thought it was an interesting and exciting trade at first but I haven't seen it pay off thus far.

hopefully Bennett can continue to learn but so close
capt.f26fc74fd17749bb922035e9bd71c9e8.texans_titans_football_tnmh111.jpg

Tennessee Titans wide receiver Justin Gage, top, catches an 11-yard touchdown pass over the reach of Houston Texans cornerback Fred Bennett (32) in the third quarter of an NFL football game in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Dec. 2, 2007.

I've been on the "Richard Smith must go" wagon since early in the year. Since TexansChick kinda pointed us in that direction about week two (maybe three). She's been saying all year that his defense does not dictate but is constantly in react mode.

Agreed. I was just saying that is what some people say. Once you coach it up, you can only do so much,

More than anything, it has been rare that this team has looked ready to play this season. After the first handful of scripted plays, things turn to poo. That is coaching. I totally expect Kubiak to come tomorrow with his press conference and pinpoint what he did that cost the team the game. It happens after every loss. You hit the nail on the head though. There are no adjustments. Remember the Titans game at Reliant this season? Coach K said he had no clue that the Titans would blitz that much and he maybe should have adjusted in the 2nd half. But he didn't.

I am not saying fire Kubiak, but when the team is as talent-strapped as this team is we don't need the coaching staff to make mistakes as well. for the most part, Kubiak is about has experienced as Schaub in his position, so in reality he should be given more time. But it is hard to keep paying for what results to school.

Yeah, let's question the coaching...... Someone tell me how you coach the guys to hang on to the ball, and when we continue to turn it over, don't let the other team score. We turn the ball over more than any other team in the league, and then give up the most points off turn overs..... That's got to keep Kubes pacing the floors all night long.....

That's the one thing that has disapponited me the most this year.:wild:

The picture doesn't exactly do it justice. Bennett barely left his feet. Edit: I should say he didn't locate it quick enough. Watch this video. I think its at about 1:30.

watched the video and tough play for bennet on an underthrown ball (possibly on purpose)

i was kinda suprised no mario clips (at least one) ..if it was ESPiN, I'd understand but NFLN, was kinda suprised

He messed up in this very game. On the touchdown catch, by Gage I beleive it was, he should have knocked that ball down. It was a simple jump ball pass that VY threw a little too far into the inside. Gage still managed to snag it.

I see good things out of Bennett. He is a ballhawk for sure. If you errantly throw the ball his way he will pick you off. He has good hands, he doesn't drop the easy ones. He has made some good plays on short passes and running plays by coming up and making good tackles. However he is having his rookie mistakes and showing that he is still a bit raw. There are times that he makes some really nice plays. I think it's just about learning and experiencing the game more.

I agree with you there are growing pains, but another problem is that most of our role playing veterans on defense aren't doing anything for us. Weaver has been a bad fit with this defense thus far. Our outside linebackers are also playing poor to average on a consistant basis. Boulware has been a non-factor, however Demps has contributed well, considering his situation at the beginning of the season with the elbow, at a position of serious need.

Was the Boulware-Babin trade worth it? I thought it was an interesting and exciting trade at first but I haven't seen it pay off thus far.

Yeah, Bennet could have picked off the second TD pass if he just got his head around. He wasnt playing the ball and had an easy play if he sees it coming. He also could have picked off a similar pass later. But hey, he is a rookie and one of the few bright spots in our secondary this year, so Im ok with it.

Back