Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Spread Offense

Yankee_In_TX

Dance Lindsay!
So, it seemed 4-5 guys wide worked for us. Also helped open the run for Dayne/Walker.

So, does that mean we'll never do it again?

Or has Kubiak given up HAVING to run FIRST to "ESTABLISH" the pass?

The sooner we get rid of that Bronco rubbish, the better! (the thinking, not the coach!)

C

Ckw

Good question. All this does it get me slightly worried about Schaub. It sure seems like we have been holding back these last few games and really brought out the guns against Tampa.

I don't know if it was just the right timing or if Sage just did a better job running the offense. He looked composed out there and just did everything he needed to do.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
In the WCO that we run, a short pass to the RB, FB, or TE/WRs (from time to time) is pretty much an extention of the run, IMO.

So far, our TEs have already caught more passes than last year, while the backs are on the same pace.

On the other hand, the speed of our WRs has allowed us to go deep more often.

The Broncos, you'd think, have better DBs than ours.
But they still allow 37 passes of 20+ yds (372 attempts).
Our D allows 42 (428 attempts), which is about the same, percentage-wise.
However, we allowed only 5 passes longer than 40 yds as opposed to 7 by the Broncos.

A quick glance at the teams' schedules show that they play about the same number of passing-oriented teams.

But they are involved in more losses where the other team is far ahead, and thus, runs the ball more.

Except for those games in which we missed A.J., I believe the Texans have consistently spread the field since the opener against KC.
I mentioned that there was even that one play I noticed that we had two TEs lining up to the outside, each on each sideline, and the receivers in the slots. :cool:

Yankee_In_TX

Dance Lindsay!
I said Sunday when we went 5 wide, only good things happen. Usually the opponent calls a time out and we bring the boys back in.

Opposing coach: 5 wide, WTH?
Opposing asst: Errr, that wasn't in our game film?
Opposing coach: Really?
Opposing asst: Yeah, errr, I think they've only done it a few times this year
Opposing coach: time out damnit! time out!!

Goldensilence

hipster elite
I think it's a misnomer to catergorize the Denver as a comeplete running team. They have always used the run to set up the pass and it makes for a very eifficient attack. Back when Elway was at the helm they were lighting people up pretty good in the passing game. Remember McCaffery and Rod Smith were the first duo to both have 100 catch seasons respectively.

Keep ranting about Sage and the job he's done(which has been Solid not AWESOME). I think it's more of a realization that injuries are REALLY piling up on us and if we want to win we'd better be able to adapt to a different game plan every sunday. That's just what good teams do and that's what also happens when coaches and players trust each other on gameplaning. This team does have good thingsto grow into i believe though.

DerekLee1

Veteran
In all seriousness, though, I think it has to do with Sherman having less of a stronghold on the offense now that he's dealing with his hire at A&M. Methinks either Kyle is running the show now (or a big part of it), or Kubes is calling everything himself.

edo783

Hall of Fame
Oh crud, you just made me realize they have Champ Bailey...
Yup, I expect that they might keep him singled up on AJ most of the night. That will be interesting to watch. Sage will have to watch his throws to AJ because Champ will jump it in a heartbeat.