Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sage Rosenfels...3 starts...3 wins.

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
Okay, earlier this season I posted the Sage Rosenfels for President thread and you guys for the most part shouted me down. Against the Broncos, the man looked like a leader out there. Sage can take a hit and can get the ball to people other than André Johnson. I'm just saying is all... Now then gents, this is the part where you guys tell me I'm wrong so go ahead.
:doot:

So..obviously tonights performance..and his previous performances, and his 3-0 record this season...means that Sage is now a contender for the starting spot.

How do we make this decision? The "easy" choice is to just keep them both...it would be nice knowing that another guy can come in and we wont be at a disadvantage..but then there is the possibility of making a profit, getting some more picks, if we trade one of them.

The problem is..how do you decide? Schaub's weakness is his weakness..he is fragile. He has made mistakes but he is young, and new to starting.. and even though he screwed up at times, he also showed that he could be a really good QB for us.

But then Sage comes along and just plays superbly.. But can we give up on Schaub already? For a guy who has been in the league for 7 years as a backup and is pushing 30 years of age? Am I mistaken when I say that Sage has shown flashes in the past but never lived up to his potential when he was given the responsibility? I REALLY like how Sage has played..but I dont like the circumstances.. I feel like putting the franchise in his hands would be a HUGE risk.

My initial feeling is that we keep them both..Start Schaub and keep Sage ready..same as this year.

My risk-taking side says to use Sage as trade bait to get us a seasoned (but not too old) Olineman that can make an immediate improvement for us.

No part of me feels that keeping Sage and trading Schaub is a good idea.

That is my stance on our current QB controversy. I have a feeling this subject is gonna get old REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY quick once the offseason officially starts.

I'm sure there are some pseudo-logical reserved people on this board that are going to call me an ***** for this, but I'm going to say it anyway. There is a competition for the QB position in Houston, and Schaub is losing it.

Sage: 3-0
Schaub: 4-7

Okay, earlier this season I posted the Sage Rosenfels for President thread and you guys for the most part shouted me down. Against the Broncos, the man looked like a leader out there. Sage can take a hit and can get the ball to people other than André Johnson. I'm just saying is all... Now then gents, this is the part where you guys tell me I'm wrong so go ahead.
:doot:

mmmmmm.... I got nothing. Sage has been playing pretty well of late and (even if Schaub could come back this season) I'd leave Sage in. He's got the hot hand, Schaub is dinged, so let Sage roll.

I tell you what, if we manage to keep Sage on the roster, its going to be an interesting summer watching he and Schaub duke it out.

There is no controversy. Schaub is hurt and Sage is playing great in relief. I also think that calling Schaub fragile is like calling Adrian Peterson fragile. He got a concussion on a cheap shot and dislocated his shoulder on an odd fall.

Here's the thing, however. With the lack of good QBs in the league and Sage's desire to play, do you honestly think he is going to settle for 2nd string after proving he is the real deal? He isn't getting any younger, I think he is done with the bench.

As of right now, though...I would sooner trade Schaub and see what Sage can do with a full set of starters.

So far Rosenfels has been playing amazing the last few games, and has EARNED the right to compete with Schaub for the starting role next season in Training Camp. If he has another great game, I'm really going to start thinking that Rosenfels has a great shot at winning the starter position.

HOWEVER. I think it's unnecessary that you've been bashing people who haven't quite believed in Rosenfels yet. He's UNPROVEN, and been in the league for a while, and in that time, hasn't shown much at ALL. So forgive our hesitance in jumping on the bandwagon as quickly as you have. It'll still take a while for him to get recongnition from the fans, just like it took Mario to get his love. We'll see how the season pans out, but as it stands, Rosenfels really has proved that he deserves a shot at starting for us next season, but as I said...we'll see.

Been worried about the exact same thing. Really it's a luxury problem, but still. I hope we'll keep both of them and let the best pre-season qb start. I want to see a full season before I dare to make the choice between the two.

Props to Rosenfels tonight, but the entire team played their guts out. I'm very proud of their accomplishment tonight :)

Here's the thing, however. With the lack of good QBs in the league and Sage's desire to play, do you honestly think he is going to settle for 2nd string after proving he is the real deal? He isn't getting any younger, I think he is done with the bench.

As of right now, though...I would sooner trade Schaub and see what Sage can do with a full set of starters.

How many games has Schaub played without Andre? If we are trading anyone, it is going to be Sage.

I don't think we'll trade Sage. Kubiak probably would like to have two reliable QBs on his roster and Schaub and Sage provide that.

There is no controversy. Schaub is hurt and Sage is playing great in relief. I also think that calling Schaub fragile is like calling Adrian Peterson fragile. He got a concussion on a cheap shot and dislocated his shoulder on an odd fall.

This is true Tulexan..but it doesnt prove that Schaub isnt fragile. For example, look at the hit that Charlie Anderson laid on Cutler to knock him out of bounds tonight. I have my doubts that Schaub would have jumped up and ran back to the huddle the way that Cutler did.

Its true that Schaub got hit with a cheap shot, and had an awkward landing.. but i am not convinced that a "less fragile" QB wouldnt have been able to jump up from those hits and keep going without an issue.

I think that comment right there is why you have to keep Schaub. He was Pro-Bowl-esq with AJ and Green/Dayne in the lineup. Right now, Schaub is still the guy, in my opinion. Get a better LT and some more depth along the O-line, and hope to either resign Sage or get some draft picks for him.

Dear Lord people. Enjoy a TEAM win with Mario breaking out on national TV. Schaub played excellent in some losses this year without weapons and did well for us. Sage has done well also and won the last 3. Considering his background in the league I'm not jumping on any controversies. Sage did a good job tonight but wasn't the ONE who won the game for us. Schaub has done the same. Enjoy the win without the b.s. The making mountains out of molehills gets old quick.

How many games has Schaub played without Andre? If we are trading anyone, it is going to be Sage.

To give Schaub a free pass on a lot of questionable decisions and questionable arm strength because one wide receiver has been absent seems a little silly to me. I would like a QB who is capable of performing and doing his job adequately regardless of who is on the field.

Rosenfels did not dazzle. Sorry but how can you guys say that? He barely completed 50% of his passes good for 200 yards tonight with an interception blemish. That's just a sub-par game anyway you look at it. How can you guys neglect our run game going on fire as a major factor to why Sage is winning. It's also easy to neglect Mario's performance as well as our secondary and contribute that to Sage's wins. We only turned the ball over once. Schaub couldn't stop Andre Davis from fumbling that ball in the Colts game. Schaub couldn't pave the way for Ron Dayne. Our line had to do that and it took time for them to start to REALLY come together. Schaub may not have been sacked too often but the guy was pretty much always on the run. He's awesome at getting rid of the ball quickly.

I love Sage Rosenfels but he's no Matt Schaub. I'm just really really happy to have Sage Rosenfels as our backup. Really am! I'd sleep a little easier if Schaub had the reins though. My heart goes into my throat everytime Rosenfels just hurls one downtown. You just don't know where the ball is going to land. Our receivers rock. Totally. They make Schaub AND Rosenfels look good!

To give Schaub a free pass on a lot of questionable decisions and questionable arm strength because one wide receiver has been absent seems a little silly to me. I would like a QB who is capable of performing and doing his job adequately regardless of who is on the field.

I thought Schaub did that when we were missing AJ. Walter, Daniels, and Andre Davis played well with Schaub in there and AJ hurt. It's nice to have this problem though. Not many teams can say they have two good QBs on their roster...

Sage is doing all of this one year too late. If Carr got hurt last year like Schaub did this year he probably would've been the starter going into this year.

We aren't getting rid of Schaub just like the Bengals didn't try to trade Carson Palmer when John Kitna had a great season while Carson sat and learned.

I think it's unnecessary that you've been bashing people who haven't quite believed in Rosenfels yet. He's UNPROVEN, and been in the league for a while, and in that time, hasn't shown much at ALL. So forgive our hesitance in jumping on the bandwagon as quickly as you have. It'll still take a while for him to get recongnition from the fans, just like it took Mario to get his love. We'll see how the season pans out, but as it stands, Rosenfels really has proved that he deserves a shot at starting for us next season, but as I said...we'll see.

"Bashing?" When did I "bash" anyone? I merely stated my opinion. Let's look at the fact that Sage was a career backup just as our boy Schaub was a backup to a guy named Michael Vick for the bulk of his career. Schaub wasn't a starter until THIS season. For the record many of us had love for Mario and were saying "give him a chance" back when the "fair-weather" and "Bandwagon" fans were calling him a bust.

That one absent wide receiver opens the entire offense up. Schaub's questionable arm strength has also led to several long touchdown passes this year.

Sage is doing all of this one year too late. If Carr got hurt last year like Schaub did this year he probably would've been the starter going into this year.

We aren't getting rid of Schaub just like the Bengals didn't try to trade Carson Palmer when John Kitna had a great season while Carson sat and learned.

To compare Matt Schaub to Carson Palmer is a little much isn't it? Matt Schaub has a lot of problems to get worked out before he is going to be a fantastic NFL QB. Not to say that he'll never be great, but I simply believe that Rosenfels has done more for this team than Schaub has and I think it would be a shame to see Sage go (because he definitely deserves to be starting somewhere) because some bonehead in the FO doesn't want to accept the fact that we probably invested too much into Schaub.

Reactions: GP
Dear Lord people. Enjoy a TEAM win with Mario breaking out on national TV. Schaub played excellent in some losses this year without weapons and did well for us. Sage has done well also and won the last 3. Considering his background in the league I'm not jumping on any controversies. Sage did a good job tonight but wasn't the ONE who won the game for us. Schaub has done the same. Enjoy the win without the b.s. The making mountains out of molehills gets old quick.

Typical of someone who's on the losing end of the argument.

Nice try.

"Look over there! An eagle!"

"Bashing?" When did I "bash" anyone? I merely stated my opinion. Let's look at the fact that Sage was a career backup just as our boy Schaub was a backup to a guy named Michael Vick for the bulk of his career. Schaub wasn't a starter until THIS season. For the record many of us had love for Mario and were saying "give him a chance" back when the "fair-weather" and "Bandwagon" fans were calling him a bust.

What is bandwagon is calling out fans week in and week out for not thinking YOUR way instead of being happy that we have depth and a win. I've never seen a fan base so obsessed with being "right." Many of us called for Carr's head for 3 years and got called "haters." We were right but it doesn't make us not like Sage or Schaub. I'm glad to have both and both have played well this year. I take success with a grain of salt. Its fleeting in this league and we have seen players and the team have some serious rollercoaster moments. What is bad is every week having to come here and not be happy for wins but to hear people say "I told you so" in every thread and then disappear when therir predictions fail.

Typical of someone who's on the losing end of the argument.

Nice try.

"Look over there! An eagle!"

How am I losing?My team just won a huge game. I'm a huge supporter of Sage and Schaub and glad we have them both. I'm not a supporter of fans like you that make every win or loss about your own agenda. You sound like a moron. Alot of us love Sage and wanted him playing last year. The difference is I have followed football for 30 years and don't root for players over a team. I'm happy for both. Its like me saying I think Beurlein should have been the QB when he won all those games when Aikman was hurt and they won a SB with Aikman.

To compare Matt Schaub to Carson Palmer is a little much isn't it? Matt Schaub has a lot of problems to get worked out before he is going to be a fantastic NFL QB. Not to say that he'll never be great, but I simply believe that Rosenfels has done more for this team than Schaub has and I think it would be a shame to see Sage go (because he definitely deserves to be starting somewhere) because some bonehead in the FO doesn't want to accept the fact that we probably invested too much into Schaub.

From a money standpoint and the picks we gave up, no it's not much of a stretch to compare the two.

It's a good thing to have quality depth, ain't it?

Uhhh...where have you been?

Sage is NOT going to stick around and play second fiddle next year.

He will get the nod from the Texans, or he will bolt for another team. He's been doing this gig long enough that he KNOWS he deserves more than being called "great depth."

LOL.

Sage is out of here. Texans management will let him walk, and we'll have The Human Ice Sculpture for our QB again. Bank on it.

I don't think he was picking a side on the argument...I think you're trying to spin it

Go read the game thread, and a few others, and come back and tell me I am spinning it.

He's been riding me and TexnRed pretty hard about it. Do your research.

Go read the game thread, and a few others, and come back and tell me I am spinning it.

He's been riding me and TexnRed pretty hard about it. Do your research.

What are you talking about?I've been a supporter of Sage for 2 years now and because I think Schaub is quality I'm "riding" you?If you concentrated on us winning and not on your own agenda to be "right" you'd actually understand being a real fan. Is it your goal tonight to look totally like an bad fan?I made a comment in the Schaub thread because professional analyst see what alot of us see. It doesn't mean we don't appreciate Sage. Both guys are players and both guys have alot of work to do. Its a good problem to have. You don't have to make up stuff to belittle another player in order to be a fan of another.

There is absolutely no way the Texans would pick Sage over Schaub. Sage can either accept his role as being a backup or can demand to be traded. I'm sure there will be teams that will bite, but the Texans have their man with Schaub.

What is bandwagon is calling out fans week in and week out for not thinking YOUR way instead of being happy that we have depth and a win. I've never seen a fan base so obsessed with being "right." Many of us called for Carr's head for 3 years and got called "haters." We were right but it doesn't make it us not like Sage or Schaub. I'm glad to have both and both have played well this year. I take success with a gain of salt. Its fleeting in this league and we have seen players and the team have some srious rollercoaster moments. What is bad is every week having to come here an dnot be happy for wins but to hear people say "I told you so" in every thread and then disappear when therir predictions fail.

How am I losing?My team just won a huge game. I'm a huge supporter of Sage and Schaub and glad we have them both. I'm not a supporter of fans like you that make every win or loss about your own agenda. You sound like a moron. Alot of us love Sage and wanted him playing last year. The difference is I have followed football for 30 years and don't root for players over a team. I'm happy for both. Its like me saying I think Beurlein should have been the QB when he won all those games when Aikman was hurt and they won a SB with Aikman.

Hold on, hold on. As an admirer of the Great Henry "Fat Bank Hank" Kissenger I think I should clarify that I wasn't "attacking" anyone. I merely was attempting to bring up a point for discussion. I don't think that everyone should share my opinion because I'll be the first to admit that I've been wrong on quite a few occasions and if you don't believe me I can introduce you to a couple of my ex girlfriends who'll illustrate my point.
I'm happy the team is functioning as a unit. ALL I said was I thought Sage was better at taking a hit, AND looked like a real leader out there. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. Chill out brougham...

The difference is I have followed football for 30 years and don't root for players over a team.

No, you're dishing out the sarcastic little one-liners and pointless gibberish that you call "a post" on this topic.

I see you know where the "sarcasm" smiley is at, because you use it liberally to deride those who say that Matt Schaub should not be this team's starter.

You remind me of me, a long time ago when I propped up David Carr and shouted down the few posters around here who were saying what I am saying now: "The starter who was crowned, in this case Schaub, has not lived up to the expectation." I rode the Carr train all the way to the end, and then it was like I woke up from my stupor..."Wow. He wasn't that good. Oops. I was wrong."

In my posts, I go on to state WHY Matt Schaub is not a quality starter (see my THREE POINTS comments in the myriad of other posts on this topic) and you don't reply to those comments. You just shout it down with your "bandwagon fan" or any other of your endless list of pathetic character assassination hits on me, in order to avoid the arena of ideas.

Congratulations, you've been following football for 30 years. I've been following it for 25. And I still say that Matt Schaub needs no more snaps for me to know that he's not the answer here.

Uhhh...where have you been?

Sage is NOT going to stick around and play second fiddle next year.

I've been here. And he stuck around Miami for 4 years as 2nd fiddle.

Not saying he should or shouldn't be backup - but is there a possible reason he has been for the 6 years he's been in the nfl?

Hold on, hold on. As an admirer of the Great Henry "Fat Bank Hank" Kissenger I think I should clarify that I wasn't "attacking" anyone. I merely was attempting to bring up a point for discussion. I don't think that everyone should share my opinion because I'll be the first to admit that I've been wrong on quite a few occasions and if you don't believe me I can introduce you to a couple of my ex girlfriends who'll illustrate my point.
I'm happy the team is functioning as a unit. ALL I said was I thought Sage was better at taking a hit, AND looked like a real leader out there. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. Chill out brougham...

And I like your opinion and agree. Nice words. What I don't agree with is GP and others who have run around for two weeks degrading Schaub and talking like Sage is the second coming. Aren't we happy to have wins without the b.s after dealing with Carr for 5 years?Why is everything about individuals. If you look at the stats both guys are playing the same and yet people can't be happy about a season going well.

What are you talking about?I've been a supporter of Sage for 2 years now and because I think Schaub is quality I'm "riding" you?If you concentrated on us winning and not on your own agenda to be "right" you'd actually understand being a real fan. Is it your goal tonight to look totally like an bad fan?I made a comment in the Schaub thread because professional analyst see what alot of us see. It doesn't mean we don't appreciate Sage. Both guys are players and both guys have alot of work to do. Its a good problem to have. You don't have to make up stuff to belittle another player in order to be a fan of another.

No, no, no, no, no.

I AM concentrating on winning...which is exactly why I am quick to assess that Matt Schaub is a smarter, but vastly more fragile, version of David Carr. Where Schaub ends, Sage begins.

Had David Carr been out more, and Sage forced to start the same amount of games he's been starting lately, I wonder if we make the Schaub deal at all. Think on THAT one.

I love to win. And it's why I enjoy rooting for Sage Rosenfels--Because he is winning ballgames. In fact, he's almost willing us to win ballgames even when we seem to be out of them.

I had every belief that Sage would do what he did tonight. But when I watched Schaub earlier this season, I actually began to look for the blitzer (before the snap) and I actually was seeing Schaub getting pounded before it happened. I just knew he was dead meat.

Like I have said: Sage is running rings around Matt Schaub.

But, like it's been said: "Schaub is the starter..."

(Sigh)

No, no, no, no, no.

I AM concentrating on winning...which is exactly why I am quick to assess that Matt Schaub is a smarter, but vastly more fragile, version of David Carr. Where Schaub ends, Sage begins.

Had David Carr been out more, and Sage forced to start the same amount of games he's been starting lately, I wonder if we make the Schaub deal at all. Think on THAT one.

I love to win. And it's why I enjoy rooting for Sage Rosenfels--Because he is winning ballgames. In fact, he's almost willing us to win ballgames even when we seem to be out of them.

I had every belief that Sage would do what he did tonight. But when I watched Schaub earlier this season, I actually began to look for the blitzer (before the snap) and I actually was seeing Schaub getting pounded before it happened. I just knew he was dead meat.

(Sigh)

The only comparison between Schaub and Carr is that they are both #8 for the Texans. That is where it ends.

I've been here. And he stuck around Miami for 4 years as 2nd fiddle.

Not saying he should or shouldn't be backup - but is there a possible reason he has been for the 6 years he's been in the nfl?

Derek Anderson would like to talk about this topic.

He was up-and-down in Cleveland. There was Tim Couch, then there was Charlie Frye, then there was Derek, then it was back to Tim, and then it was Derek, and then it was Frye, and over and over and over.

And I guess Derek Anderson just somehow found a way one day.

Kind of like Sage is doing, IMO.

But you go ahead and keep your thumb down on Sage. As I have said, the same old cliches are at work here: "Sage is nothing more than a backup..."

He's a backup who has started three games and has won three games.

And this TEAM that everyone says I don't support...well, they sure seem to click with Sage at the wheel.

No, you're dishing out the sarcastic little one-liners and pointless gibberish that you call "a post" on this topic.

I see you know where the "sarcasm" smiley is at, because you use it liberally to deride those who say that Matt Schaub should not be this team's starter.

You remind me of me, a long time ago when I propped up David Carr and shouted down the few posters around here who were saying what I am saying now: "The starter who was crowned, in this case Schaub, has not lived up to the expectation." I rode the Carr train all the way to the end, and then it was like I woke up from my stupor..."Wow. He wasn't that good. Oops. I was wrong."

In my posts, I go on to state WHY Matt Schaub is not a quality starter (see my THREE POINTS comments in the myriad of other posts on this topic) and you don't reply to those comments. You just shout it down with your "bandwagon fan" or any other of your endless list of pathetic character assassination hits on me, in order to avoid the arena of ideas.

Congratulations, you've been following football for 30 years. I've been following it for 25. And I still say that Matt Schaub needs no more snaps for me to know that he's not the answer here.

What are you talking about?Seriously. I can see that you were probably one of the people yelling at me when I told you Carr was no good for 3 years. Wouldn't it make more sense that since I was right about him that I may be right about Schaub and being happy with two guys who can win for us?So you screamed for 5 years about Carr, were wrong and now you are screaming about Schaub being bad and a 6 year guy who has never started being "the man" and you think all of a sudden you are right?

I've gone through all of the two guys stats with TexanRed and even went game by game with him thorugh Schaub's starts. Go look it up. They both have similar stats and both have had turnover problems. Schaub impressed me and again, he has impressed many who have watched him. I, unlike you though, don't care much for arguing over guys who are good while we are winning. Maybe Sage is your new Carr. If that is the case watch out. You just admitted you went off on people for years doing the same thing you are doing now. Does that make sense?

(Sigh)

Then how did our sack totals go down this year if Schaub was so bad in the pocket and was getting hit? Let me quaote something from the ESPN article today

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3142771

Pocket awareness separates Schaub from most quarterbacks. His predecessor, David Carr, took 41sacks in 16 starts for Houston last season. Schaub took 16 in his first 11 starts this season.

"Get a running game with him and he's going to be tough," the NFC scout said.

Through all of this you keep missing the point. Sage is good and I like him. I just think Schaub will be our starter and has more upside. Overall it is great to have both. You are barking around the board starting fights over a problem we don't have.

You're like that former smoker who quit and now spends all his time running around getting in other peoples faces about it. Frankly I find it kind of obnoxious. Every thread you're in here banging that drum like you discovered Rosenfels and are hoping to manage him. The guy has won three starts and looked mostly pretty good doing it. He's a gamer and a classic under-appreciated quarterback. Great, good for him. Schaub has played less than a season and mostly looked pretty good doing it. That this year didn't go according to plan is an understatement to say the least and with zero running game through most of the Schaub starts thanks to Ahman Green and his amazing "Now you see it - Now you don't" knee bruise I don't just think you don't have enough information to go on. I know it.

Gary Kubiak will play Rosenfels till the end of the year in all likelyhood. Sage will have a chance to beat the Colts and Jaguars and he'll probably have an opportunity to compete for the starting job in camp. If he wins it I'll be fine with that. If he doesn't I'll be fine with that but I fully expect to see you banging that drum again at the first incomplete pass of the 2008 season. After the last two years of "Texans History" I recognize a zealot when I see one.

The only comparison between Schaub and Carr is that they are both #8 for the Texans. That is where it ends.

Well, I think they are similar yet different:

Carr: Durable and tough; Looks like a QB; Practices well; Cannot read a defense

Schaub: Fragile; Looks like a QB; Practices well; Can read a defense

And then there's Sage: Seems to be durable; Looks like an accountant and doesn't have a QB-sounding name or presence about him; Has been holding a clipboard for a long time; Can read a defense.

I really don't like bragging. Seriously, I don't. But I cannot stand it when I see some posters INTENTIONALLY ignoring things and acting like it's no big deal. Winning is everything, and Sage is winning. So if a fan is all about winning, I'd suggest sitting back for a second and re-evaluating the Matt Schaub situation.

Even if Matt Schaub is healthy, I don't see how he just gets the job back. IMO, you always go with the hot hand. Always. Wins are hard to come by, and Sage is just playing out-of-his mind.

The media are saying "Get Schaub a running game and he'd be tough..." but I just can't shake the feeling I get when I think "Get Sage a running game and he'd be tough."

This is all for naught. Sage is leaving for starting money somewhere. So a lot of Schaub fans can have their crowned hero back next season. I just want to win games, but I see it differently: I see a backup running circles around the starter...and it frustrates me to no end that the starter is always the starter, no matter what.

To heck with that. I like winning, and Sage is winning...and he's smiling and walking upright after those wins, too. I don't have a death wish on Schaub, but it doesn;t take a rocket scientist to see that Matt Schaub is (for some reason) unable to make it through games. And Sage is. Even when healthy, it's only a matter of time before Schaub is going to get steamrolled again.

If that makes me a bad fan, then I'm a bad fan.

You're like that former smoker who quit and now spends all his time running around getting in other peoples faces about it. Frankly I find it kind of obnoxious. Every thread you're in here banging that drum like you discovered Rosenfels and are hoping to manage him. The guy has won three starts and looked mostly pretty good doing it. He's a gamer and a classic under-appreciated quarterback. Great, good for him. Schaub has played less than a season and mostly looked pretty good doing it. That this year didn't go according to plan is an understatement to say the least and with zero running game through most of the Schaub starts thanks to Ahman Green and his amazing "Now you see it - Now you don't" knee bruise I don't just think you don't have enough information to go on. I know it.

Gary Kubiak will play Rosenfels till the end of the year in all likelyhood. Sage will have a chance to beat the Colts and Jaguars and he'll probably have an opportunity to compete for the starting job in camp. If he wins it I'll be fine with that. If he doesn't I'll be fine with that but I fully expect to see you banging that drum again at the first incomplete pass of the 2008 season. After the last two years of "Texans History" I recognize a zealot when I see one.

Call me a zealot all you want.

But I have bolded a part of your comment (above) and I'd like to go ahead and say that it'd be a minor miracle if Sage makes it to camp as a Texans player.

The guy has shown that he should be the starter for the team he is on. I would think that a guy like Sage, who has been thoroughly trashed with all the "journeyman" comments and the lack of support and faith by most fans for the past few years, is going to look to cash in on the good fortune he;s enjoying this season.

In the NFL, you don't "stay put" unless you "get paid." Please tell me how I am wrong on this idea. A smart guy (like Sage) will force the situation and make Houston pony up the cash for him--no more backup, in other words--or he'll leverage his effort this year and go on to a team like the Chicago Bears who would love to have a QB like Sage on their team.

You don't think Chicago would dump those three clowns they have right now for a guy like Sage who is picking apart defenses, making Champ Bailey look like a clown?

Sage looks great. And a lot of posters continue as if Matt Schaub is set to come back and regain the form he had for HIS three games (Chiefs, Panthers, and Saints). Schaub looked awful vs. Miami...wasn't Kris Brown the one who had to win the Dolphins game for us with all his field goals?

That, coupled with the long rest before his Saints game and then the drop-off game vs. the Titans, tells me that Matt is not a distance runner. For whatever reason, he looks good for a short burst and then he tends to trickle down to a crawl.

This is amazing. I cannot believe that you guys don't see this about Matt Schaub.

Well, I think they are similar yet different:

Carr: Durable and tough; Looks like a QB; Practices well; Cannot read a defense

Schaub: Fragile; Looks like a QB; Practices well; Can read a defense

And then there's Sage: Seems to be durable; Looks like an accountant and doesn't have a QB-sounding name or presence about him; Has been holding a clipboard for a long time; Can read a defense.

I really don't like bragging. Seriously, I don't. But I cannot stand it when I see some posters INTENTIONALLY ignoring things and acting like it's no big deal. Winning is everything, and Sage is winning. So if a fan is all about winning, I'd suggest sitting back for a second and re-evaluating the Matt Schaub situation.

Even if Matt Schaub is healthy, I don't see how he just gets the job back. IMO, you always go with the hot hand. Always. Wins are hard to come by, and Sage is just playing out-of-his mind.

The media are saying "Get Schaub a running game and he'd be tough..." but I just can't shake the feeling I get when I think "Get Sage a running game and he'd be tough."

This is all for naught. Sage is leaving for starting money somewhere. So a lot of Schaub fans can have their crowned hero back next season. I just want to win games, but I see it differently: I see a backup running circles around the starter...and it frustrates me to no end that the starter is always the starter, no matter what.

To heck with that. I like winning, and Sage is winning...and he's smiling and walking upright after those wins, too. I don't have a death wish on Schaub, but it doesn;t take a rocket scientist to see that Matt Schaub is (for some reason) unable to make it through games. And Sage is. Even when healthy, it's only a matter of time before Schaub is going to get steamrolled again.

If that makes me a bad fan, then I'm a bad fan.

This is where you just get obnoxious. No one is calling Schaub a crowned hero. People like his demeanor and play. People like Sages demeanor and play. The difference between you and I is that I can see the forest through the trees and like both guys but don't think there is anything wrong with Schaub if you go back and look at his play game by game. Your goal is to discredit and be right....probably like you did with Carr. Sorry but if we are going on track records here then you are the Steven A. Smith of this place and are just screaming about guys to nobody. Sorry if I don't just trust your opinion after your admissions above.

Call me a zealot all you want.

But I have bolded a part of your comment (above) and I'd like to go ahead and say that it'd be a minor miracle if Sage makes it to camp as a Texans player.

The guy has shown that he should be the starter for the team he is on. I would think that a guy like Sage, who has been thoroughly trashed with all the "journeyman" comments and the lack of support and faith by most fans for the past few years, is going to look to cash in on the good fortune he;s enjoying this season.

In the NFL, you don't "stay put" unless you "get paid." Please tell me how I am wrong on this idea. A smart guy (like Sage) will force the situation and make Houston pony up the cash for him--no more backup, in other words--or he'll leverage his effort this year and go on to a team like the Chicago Bears who would love to have a QB like Sage on their team.

You don't think Chicago would dump those three clowns they have right now for a guy like Sage who is picking apart defenses, making Champ Bailey look like a clown?

Sage looks great. And a lot of posters continue as if Matt Schaub is set to come back and regain the form he had for HIS three games (Chiefs, Panthers, and Saints). Schaub looked awful vs. Miami...wasn't Kris Brown the one who had to win the Dolphins game for us with all his field goals?

That, coupled with the long rest before his Saints game and then the drop-off game vs. the Titans, tells me that Matt is not a distance runner. For whatever reason, he looks good for a short burst and then he tends to trickle down to a crawl.

This is amazing. I cannot believe that you guys don't see this about Matt Schaub.

How can anyone take you seriously when you completely leave out the part of of Sage coming in and basically making the Titans game almost a Titan rout with his turnovers BEFORE bringing us back. You can't have one without the other and you are selectively picking games and times without acknowledging others. I mean you just called a 16 of 27 with 200 yards and 1 TD pass and 1 int "picking apart defenses, making Champ Bailey look like a clown?" How can anyone take you seriously?Go look at Schaubs stats and that is a game line, if not better for many games. You are a walking hyperbole and I'm starting to see why talking to "Carr fan" was such an adventure.

As Mr. Wolf said on Pulp Fiction, "Let's not start sucking each others..."

You get the point.

There are couple more games to play and let's see what happens.

If there is value, maybe get value for him and he gets another chance to start?

Maybe Rosenfels is a product of the system and Kubiak's coaching?

Unloading Rosenfels may not be as a bad as everyone thinks if Kubiak is as good as a QB coach some people think.

Good opportunity to leverage value to improve the team. Kind of like when Shanahan traded Portis for Bailey. Every one thought he was crazy for doing that.

Back