Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

East-West Shirners Game

I am going to predict right here and now that on the list of two teams worth of all stars you will find the Texans 7th round draft pick.

My early favorite is Bryan Kehl Lb from BYU. Subject to change. :thinking:

I will be meeting all the players today. They have to spend some time with the Shriner patients. I will try to take some pictures and post them. I will report back later.:texflag:

I will be meeting all the players today. They have to spend some time with the Shriner patients. I will try to take some pictures and post them. I will report back later.:texflag:

If you can, try to meet Curtis Johnson, LB, from Clark Atlanta. His stock has gone up alot.

Well let us know bout the light wieght lineman....whether they have the personlity and they can move.

Couple of QBs we can stash away on the PS for rainy day...'09. Project guys just in case. I watched the Delaware guy, Palko one afternoon. He's a good project player. I wouldn't mind a FA contrct or late day two pick on Dennis Dixon. Let the staff work with him for a couple of off seasons. See if the arm and mind develope.

Well let us know bout the light wieght lineman....whether they have the personlity and they can move.

Couple of QBs we can stash away on the PS for rainy day...'09. Project guys just in case. I watched the Delaware guy, Palko one afternoon. He's a good project player. I wouldn't mind a FA contrct or late day two pick on Dennis Dixon. Let the staff work with him for a couple of off seasons. See if the arm and mind develope.
I can't wait to see these guys preform and see some new prospects for the 2008 NFL draft.

Project guys just in case. I watched the Delaware guy, Palko one afternoon. He's a good project player.

The Delaware guy is Flacco. Palko played for Pitt last year. Flacco is huge, and has a cannon. He has a shot to go in the second, but more than likely he will go in the 3rd.

I like Dennis Dixon as well. His injury might cause him to fall to where he might be had for a late rounder

I had a great time with the players yesterday at the Shrine Hospital. I have some good pics but I am trying to figure out how to get them on the board(that should take me about two years)Dick Vermeil and Mike White came over to talk with me. I spoke with Matt Flynn and he was very nice but seemed quiet. JD from Clark,Atlanta was also very nice. Actually,they were all great. Sam Keller,the QB from Nebraska was a riot. His dad lives in my mom's hometown so they spent a lot of time talking about where they went when they were younger. He stayed with me for a few hours. The defensive coordinator from the Bills was there. I told him that the Texans need Marshawn Lynch. He laughed and told me that if I liked Marshawn(sp) I should become a Bills fan. I told him no. All the guys but the one from Texas said they don't care what team from the NFL would pick them. One said any team but the Cowboys while the player from UT wants to be a Cowboy and beat the Steelers a--.

Pedro Sosa, LT from Rutgers, about 6'4-6'5, 290-295 lbs

I'm still not sure whether he can handle the really quick guys in the NFL.

The nfldraftscouts.com reports that he did well in practice today:

"Sosa rarely got beat today, using his nice footwork and extending his long arms to keep (defensive) ends at bay. His anchor is pretty solid as well. "

The Delaware guy is Flacco. Palko played for Pitt last year. Flacco is huge, and has a cannon. He has a shot to go in the second, but more than likely he will go in the 3rd.

Flacco looked good in the playoffs for 1-AA but had a bad game against app state and I do like Wendell also

Hey all if your going to the game look us up, We will be out there and serving the infamous Catfish that we could not cook fast enough this year. Com on out and enjoy. we will get there between 8 and noon

8 to noon, that's real specific there Joe!
icon10.gif

I should be able to make it this time.
I need to leave before 4:00 P.M.

Hey all if your going to the game look us up, We will be out there and serving the infamous Catfish that we could not cook fast enough this year. Com on out and enjoy. we will get there between 8 and noon

Dante' might have some of his "catfish" wedding cake left over that would complement your entree very nicely!!!

Have fun and keep an eye on that pesky Gary and crew!!!

I was able to get to practice today.
Talk to a couple of guys from the Texans (at least one is a scout as I know).
Another guy from Denver who says he's not a scout, but only taking notes for the one who's busy preparing for the Senior Bowl.

There's only so much one can observe, and such little time is not enough for anything concrete. But this whatever I can get out of it:

Both teams seem to like Jamie Silva and Dight Lowery, so do I.
The Denver guy likes Athiya Rubin, but says Okam seems a bit lazy (?)
When I ask the other Texan guy about Alridge's chance, all he says is that size does not matter, only the heart.
Both teams seem like Josh Johnson. I really like him. Will get more into that when I have more time.
Denver guy says Todd Blythe could be a surprise for some team. I like him.
He also likes the WR from Hawaii Jason Rivers (?) He looks pretty good to me.

Nothing on Lionel Dotson, except I talk to his father, and he seems to be a really nice guy, looks like a good family.

I dunno if I can handle four hours of pre game any more. I mentionned to my wife that I'd like to go last night so she bought tickets on the sly. so I guess I'll be in the ghetto freezing my buns off with ya. Hope the vehicle is still there after the game. I don't think I've been to a game in Robertson since the oilers played there.

If you park in the main lot around Robertson or in the lot across Cullen from Cougar Field by the Moores School of Music you will have no problem. I'm guessing there will be plenty of room to park at the stadium lot. There are Wal Mart parking lots in the burbs that are no more secure than the UH campus lots. I always liked the UH campus. Earned about 100 semester hours there - all at night.

The game is tonight. The small school players to watch are:
East
WR Dexter Jackson
WR Jerome Simpson
WR Samuel Giguere
FB Jerome Felton
DE/OLB Curtis Johnson
DE Kendall Langford

West
QB Josh Johnson

East has alot more. All these guys have been on my lists for the entire season, except Samuel Giguere, he was added two months ago.

F362576.jpg

If you park in the main lot around Robertson or in the lot across Cullen from Cougar Field by the Moores School of Music you will have no problem. I'm guessing there will be plenty of room to park at the stadium lot. There are Wal Mart parking lots in the burbs that are no more secure than the UH campus lots. I always liked the UH campus. Earned about 100 semester hours there - all at night.

I attended UH and worked for UH system between 76-85, never had any problem even as 11 P.M.-midnight was quite the norm for me to leave campus. And also, back then, computer time was a premium. We pulled many all-nighters, never had any problem with car in the parking lot.

I don't know about later, but with campus expanding, I imagine it to be safer nowadays (??)

The Texans scout was looking at both Rutgers linemen.
Jeremy Zuttah at RT, and projects Pedro Sosa at Guard.
Not that the Texans will draft either one of them.

He also said that the Texans are hoping that Spencer will be back.
Weary is a question mark being a FA as well as the status of his injury.

Also, between the Denver guy and the two texans personnels (I can't remember which one says what):
Positive on Josh Barrett DB from Az. St.
Joe Jon Finley TE from OU
Dantrell Savage RB from Okl.St.
Ryan Wendell OL from Fresno St.
Duane Brown OL from VT
Caleb Campbell DB from Army
Trae Williams DB from S. Fla

On another note, I think Matt Flynn may pull out.
Lemme check and confirm before any rumor is spread.

Anthony Alridge just scored for the Coogs....um....the West. The West is up 17-3 with 5:48 left in the 3rd.

If that was any sort of long run, you can almost hear the cash registers now.

I think Aldridge ends up creeping into the 3rd or 4th round.

It was only a 4 yarder. But it did include a small deek that was nice. He got a lot of facetime after it.

I read one report saying that Aldridge and QB Josh Johnson were probably the best players on the field for the Shriner game. Said that Johnson looked like a slightly more accurate Tavaris Jackson.

I like Josh Johnson and I think he will have a better combine then some of the so called first round QB's but will still get stuck with the small school stigma. This was probably the best he has played under pressure with scouts watching

Josh is Marshawn Lynch's cousin. He was at the Shrine practice. He came over and spoke to me and told me he taught Josh everything he knows about football.

wow, that about sums up Josh Johnsons NFL potential. I can see the Tavaris Jackson comparison. lacks same size but also reminds me of David Garrard, has that ability to run in space & still make the accurate throw with touch.

Last night at the game I got AP's autograph from the Vikings. Also Hall Of Famer Carl Ellerson.

Anybody see any good OLine prospects or corners in the game ?
And what a lousy turnout, was there even 2500 people at the game ?

wow, that about sums up Josh Johnsons NFL potential. I can see the Tavaris Jackson comparison. lacks same size but also reminds me of David Garrard, has that ability to run in space & still make the accurate throw with touch.
I felt that Ware & McShay overstated Johnson's potential at the NFL level. He has a popgun arm (as evidenced on his 1st pass that was underthrown to Alridge. That should have been an easy TD). And he's not that accurate. Ware was complaining about Johnson's passes being dropped, but one was behind the receiver at his shins, and another was tipped before it got there. Johnson's probably a mid-late round pick for a WCO team. But if the game had gone any longer, Ware & McShay would have him in the top 10.

Anybody see any good OLine prospects or corners in the game ?

I liked some of the interior linemen as mid round picks. Fresno's Wendell is small, but he seemed to hold up against the bigger linemen. Cal's Mike Gibson looked good. Maryland's Andrew Crummey showed the kind of movement you looked for in a ZBS lineman, but was injured during the game.

Most of the CBs fared well. CB is probably the deepest position in this draft, and it would be wise for the Texans to come away with a couple. Mid round corners like Marcus Walker from OU and Arizona State's Justin Tryon could come in and compete for the nickel CB job right away.

Anyone know who I'm talking about? I did see some solid Left T. but none deeply impressive.

Back