Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Bidding for 2012 Super Bowl

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=0900...mp;confirm=true

The major point cited in Dallas' advantage for the 2011 game over Indianapolis was that its new stadium could hold up to 100,000 for the Super Bowl. The new $700 million Lucas Oil Stadium scheduled for completion in August in Indianapolis has a potential capacity of about 70,000. Miles said that Phoenix, Houston and New Orleans were among the cities that might also submit bids for the 2012 game.
Damn, I hope we get it...

They have a chance, but not as much as they would have five years ago. That Superdome man... I think with Houston's great performance in 2004, plus Mayor White trying to get a 1,000+ room hotel in Downtown (again), Houston has a really good chance. AND, those light rail lines will be finished.

Although it's been done twice (SB 2 & 3 both in Miami, and SB 21 & 22 in California [Pasadena & San Diego]) I seriously doubt the powers that be would keep it in Texas 2 years in a row.

I'm guessing NO would get it as well.

Sorry guys, there is no way we get a superbowl in 2012. Its a know fact that the NFL does not like to pick teams that has a chance to go to the Superbowl. They like the Superbowl to stay a neutral site and the Texans will be in the middle of there multiple Superbowl runs.

Sorry guys, there is no way we get a superbowl in 2012. Its a know fact that the NFL does not like to pick teams that has a chance to go to the Superbowl. They like the Superbowl to stay a neutral site and the Texans will be in the middle of there multiple Superbowl runs.

Man I love your thinking. I hope you are correct!

LOL....
I'd rep you but, must spread around blah blah blah.....

Speaking of which, has a city that's hosting the Super Bowl ever had its home team play in the big game that season?

Speaking of which, has a city that's hosting the Super Bowl ever had its home team play in the big game that season?

Closest thing to it is Super Bowl XIV which was in the Rose Bowl.

It was the LA Rams vs the Steelers.

Score was 19-31 Steelers.

The Astrodome Redevelopers just signed a long term lease on the ol' girl... A big hotel right across the street may being us a Super Bowl.

"A group of entrepreneurs missed a Tuesday deadline for reaching a deal to turn the Dome into a convention hotel, but have negotiated a proposed long-term lease for the aging sports venue.

Astrodome Redevelopment Co. and the Harris County Sports and Convention Corp. will forward the lease proposal to the county attorney's office for review Monday, County Attorney Mike Stafford said.

The sports corporation can ask the Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo for input on the lease if the county attorney's office finds that it does not violate their rights, Stafford said.

"In reading the draft, we didn't see any problems," he said.

In summer 2006, the sports corporation and Commissioners Court gave preliminary approval to Astrodome Redevelopment's $450 million proposal to turn the Dome into a 1,300-room hotel.
"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/5497012.html

I think we saw our last superbowl in Houston for some time.

Yup.

Just because Houstonians were nice doesn't mean that they want the SB back here. We are too spread out.

If the powers that be had their way, the SB would be in Miami and NOLA and that's it. Because of the partying.

Why would you say that?

For one reason, owners of smaller revenue generating teams don't like it when the big revenue teams get to host a Super Bowl.

Second, TC touched on the city being spread out, although they used to have Super Bowls in Pasadena Ca., so go figure there.

Also agree with TC about NOLA and Miami - traditional 'Party Cities'.

On the bright side, we have hosted 2 Super Bowls which is more than a lot of cities can say....

But on the other hand, I fully expect Dallas (being spread out all over the place) to land alot of superbowls for time to come. They have the ability to make that stadium seat (I believe) around 90,000 if needed.
More revenue to the NFL, more superbowls.

It also didn't help Houston that we had bad weather leading up until the game (mid 40'-50s, raining).

Isn't the world supposed to end in December 2012? Perhaps we should hold the SB at some Mayan pyramid. This looks like a good location...

templewarriors2.jpg

Isn't the world supposed to end in December 2012?

yeah, the year the Texans finally make it to the Super Bowl. But we never get to see the game because the world ends. Figures.

I doubt Houston will host a SB for a long while, too. It will surprise me if we ever see it again, to be honest.

Old stuff on Houston:

Bill Simmons (ESPN) is voicing his displeasure with another trip to Houston:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060220

Bill Simmons Superbowl blog:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/blog/040201

it was just like New Orleans. Of course, with much, much crummier weather. And if you extended it by 50 miles, then put a total of 20 cabs in the entire city. And if the traffic was reprehensible and caused you to re-evaluate your will to live. Then it was just like the Big Easy.

Bill Simmons.... Just another BSPN jerk-off. Whatever..

Point being, for every negative comment, there were plenty of positives including Tagliabue...

Also, at least Kid Rock, Nelly and Diddy like H-town:
They all had positive comments about the host city.

"I love Houston. I've been here plenty of times," Nelly said.

"I've always had a strong relationship with Houston. One of my managers is from here. We've come down here from day one and played for 500 people. Now we're lucky enough to build that up and play for 15 to 20,000," Kid Rock said.

"I've been coming here a lot lately over the last two years. It always looks clean and beautiful to me. It looks good. I love it," P. Diddy said.

Yup.

Just because Houstonians were nice doesn't mean that they want the SB back here. We are too spread out.

If the powers that be had their way, the SB would be in Miami and NOLA and that's it. Because of the partying.

How are we too spread out? Everything is close together and by 2012, four new light rail lines will connect the inner city.

How are we too spread out? Everything is close together any by 2012, four new light rail lines will connect the inner city.

Agreed..

Besides is Houston anymore spread out than SoCal?? .. Dallas (when including Arlington and Fort Worth)?? How about Jacksonville Florida, which is the largest city in the country?? I understand that they brought cruise ships down the St. John's river, but that wasn't nearly enough to concentrate all of the visitors in and around the Landing...

Here is a new article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5499657.html

And more on the spread out part, all of the large hotels are in Downtown or Uptown. Both will be connected by rail by 2012. Both have huge developments going on (or soon will be going on), that can really impress the NFL (include a 66-story Ritz Hotel, a 37-story W Hotel, and a TON more). The Astrodome redevelopment into a 1500 room hotel will help, too, and the NFL could have their headquarters there.

Also, at least Kid Rock, Nelly and Diddy like H-town:

Oooh, we got to go do Diddy's party. :D My favorite line of the night (in response to Diddy showing up with his entourage and blocking us from taking Dhani Jones to Jillian's):

Dhani Jones: "Ugh. *******ing P. Diddy."

[/name dropping]

Closest thing to it is Super Bowl XIV which was in the Rose Bowl.

It was the LA Rams vs the Steelers.

Score was 19-31 Steelers.

There's also SB XIX, 49ers and Dolphins at Stanford Stadium about 25 miles from Candlestick Park.

Old stuff on Houston:

Bill Simmons (ESPN) is voicing his displeasure with another trip to Houston:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060220

Bill Simmons Superbowl blog:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/blog/040201

I don't mean to sound like a jerk...

But he can burn in hell for all I care. I love my city and I don't give a rat's behind if he wants to visit it or not. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to come 4 times in 4 years. He's not welcome back next major sporting event, imo.

I didn't even bother to read the 2nd one.

I guess it is our fault for being friendly to such an ass in the first place. :/

The majority of athletes and press liked Houston, both the city and he game venue.

If y'all think back, some of the bigger folks in the media wrote some very nasty stuff that in my mind, is how L.A. is, not Houston.

McClain said (and I actually think he knows what he is talking about here) that the league office and other important people, for whatever reason don't like Houston/Texas and would rather be in CA or FL.

He also said Dallas has a leg up for Texas SB's because of their new stadiums seating capacity....

reliant-stadium-2a.jpg

First it was Indianapolis, now you can add Houston to the list of cities looking to host the 2012 Super Bowl. On Wednesday, Houston Texans owner Robert McNair said that support for the idea from local leaders convinced him to go ahead with the proposal; if successful, the game would be played at the home of the Texans, Reliant Stadium.

Houston last hosted the Super Bowl in 2004, when the New England Patriots played the Carolina Panthers - a game won by the Patriots, 32-29. The Super Bowl, after this year, will be hosted by Tampa in 2009, Miami in 2010 and Arlington, TX in 2011.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2008/01/30/houston-to-bid-for-2012-super-bowl/

I am all for an extra home game :fans:

reliant-stadium-2a.jpg

Where the heck is everyone??? We keep showing up later and later and later!!!

I know, the yellow coats have us backed up checking our tickets AFTER we already gave them the little stubs... :gun:

John McLain said that it's very doubtfull that Dallas (2011) and Houston (2012) get the superbowl on consecutive years.

Yup.

Wait, wait! We got the best Gentlemen's clubs and I know for a fact that Warren Moon and Dante Pastorini will volunteer to show the owners around if someone will front some $1 bills.

Isn't the world supposed to end in December 2012? Perhaps we should hold the SB at some Mayan pyramid. This looks like a good location...

templewarriors2.jpg
Bud Adams helped write that prediction knowing Houston might have a shot.

John McLain said that it's very doubtfull that Dallas (2011) and Houston (2012) get the superbowl on consecutive years.

Just because McLain said it? I don't know. There is a strong possibility. If not 2012, then 2013 (which I think would be a better year).

I have to say the city did a great job cleaning up and getting ready for the big game. Also with all the events IMO.

Tampa and Miami host it back to back. And Miami will have had 41 and then 44. I don't know why they would automatically rule out two Super Bowls in Texas back to back.

I don't see us getting 2012, but I bet we get one soon after.

the texans have carried themselves as a first class organization and should be treated as one by the NFL. Super Bowl 2012 awarded to Houston Texans. enough said.

:fans:

Tampa and Miami host it back to back. And Miami will have had 41 and then 44. I don't know why they would automatically rule out two Super Bowls in Texas back to back.

I don't see us getting 2012, but I bet we get one soon after.

2013 is the one that I really see, but I would love to have the 2012 Super Bowl in Houston.

I have to say the city did a great job cleaning up and getting ready for the big game. Also with all the events IMO.

Most of us think so. Most of the stars thought so. But for some reason the NFL and important people in the media hated Houston. Then, I think for some reason they hated us before they came.

Also, in their minds FL or CA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TX

Why would you say that?

Maybe the NFL doesn't want Bob Mcnair to get to big to fast. They have to be looking at the fact that as soon as the superbowl is over that Relaint stadium has about 24 days of straight sellouts with the rodeo. Mr mcnair is rolling in dough. If given a choice to have the livestock show or the superbowl...thats a no brainer from a money standpoint.

i don't think any team has pulled that off. Dallas thinks they will but I'm hoping that the Texans get to play in the superbowl in dallas new stadium...that would shut those cowboys fans up for a longtime..lol

Back