Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

3rd hand Texans rumor

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=5644

Hey guys, I just called into Sirius NFL Radio and I spoke to pat Kirwan and another guy. This was at 1:20pm Sunday. I was calling to get their thoughts on the RB position and Cornerback and what we should do. They went on to say, "well RUMOR has it the Texans just aquired a Veteran Running back." They would not say who, or what team, because it wasn't official. I am still listening to my Siruis Radio waiting to hear. He said he was about to get back on his cell phone and confirm. Well see.......

Brian

If true it would have to be somebody who's been cut or they made a trade.

Any thoughts?

And, yes I know that there is a way better then zero chance that this is all BS.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

Veteran RB help, I hope that doesn't mean we are taking somebody's old castoffs ala Ahman Green.

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=5644

If true it would have to be somebody who's been cut or they made a trade.

Any thoughts?
Scout.com's Adam Caplan is reporting the Texans have interest in Michael Turner.

One thing to remember is that even though the free agency doesn't start until the 29th, verbal deals are being made now.

UPDATE 12:50 PM EST

League sources indicate free agent RB Michael Turner could find interest from the Houston Texans. Houston got inconsistent production from Green in 2007 and he also missed 10 games due to knee problems. Green, who turned 31 recently, is a candidate to be released. He's due $12.9 million over the final three years of his contract.

Scouts believe Turner fits Houston's zone blocking scheme well which asks a back to make one cut and get down hill.
That link may not work due to subscriber content.

Hey just passing by but noticed earlier on footballsfuture.com an article predicting Texans 08 taking Ward article by Greg Davis. Just an article though of RB free agents and which teams will take what...although predictions.

Hey just passing by but noticed earlier on footballsfuture.com an article predicting Texans 08 taking Ward article by Greg Davis. Just an article though of RB free agents and which teams will take what...although predictions.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsRB.html

Derrick Ward, RFA, New York Giants

Ward filled in admirably for Brandon Jacobs this season. He was able to run for 80 yards or more during five different efforts this year, including a 154-yard effort against the Bears in week thirteen. Disappointingly, Ward was also knocked out for the season near the end of that game. He managed to find the endzone on three occasions during the season, and he was just shy of 800 total offensive yards. It’s hard to see Ward changing teams given his RFA status, but there could be a few teams looking to try and acquire him if the price isn’t too steep, and the Giants have the depth to let him go.

Predicted 2008 Team: Texans – He’ll be able to compete for a split of the carries.

Kirwin talked about it a couple of different times, but wouldn't give names or teams, except to say that it was a trade with Texans and a RB involved in the deal.

He indicated he was trying to track it down to confirm before floating the story.

I was listening intently to see if they actually came through with the goods, or if any new information had come out, but hadn't heard anything when I turned Sirius off.

Go Texans

Unless they get him cheap, I'd rather draft a RB. Let's use our available cap space to go get one or more of Justin Smith (DE), Bryant Johnson (WR), Landon Johnson (OLB), Demorrio Williams (OLB), Randall Gay (CB), or some other obscure player.

By the way, what about Deshaun Foster? After all, he's a free agent as we speak.

Wasn't there a rumor awhile back about the Texans possibly trading for Cadillac Williams?

Nevermind, I doubt it. Forgot how bad his knee injury was.

Alright, so the suspense on this is killing me.

What I wanted: A RB out of the draft.

What I would be happy with: Trading for an RB that doesn't have a million miles on him and that has been more than just "serviceable." I could live with Ike Turner here as long as he doesn't cost us what Schaub did in terms of draft picks.

What I don't want: Pulling a bonehead move and trading for someone who is "just a guy" at RB. I don't want a Julius Jones, Marcel Shipp, or someone like that under center, especially if they cost us talent or picks.

What would make me throw up: Signing a FA "JAG" and calling RB done for next season. See: Foster, DeShaun or Dayne, Ron.

And don't get me wrong on that Ron Dayne comment. I like what the Dayne Train did for us the past two years. I just want someone more explosive - is that soooo wrong?

I could live with Ike Turner here as long as he doesn't cost us what Schaub did in terms of draft picks.
Michael Turner wouldn't cost any draft picks, as he is an unrestricted free agent. Just the $$$ to sign him.

I do not doubt Turner can run the football. I just do not recall him catching a ball out of the backfield, nor did I ever watch to see him block. He may be able to do both, but it is a concern without seeing it on the field in three years.

Wow! A third hand rumor, for all we know it could be the triumphant return of James Allen aka Mersilis!:highfive:

I'd reserve judgment until I saw the price, but I'd much prefer to see us look for a RB in FA or the draft. This is one of the deeper drafts in recent years at RB, and there are several intriguing FA's available. I especially don't want to see us give up any picks, we're still a building franchise and we need all the help we can get.

Joe Smith from the CFL? He re-signed with the BC Lions.

I know........that's why I said repackage. He essentially turned us down because of no guarantee to not being cut prior to the season. He would be a heck of a fit in our system. Maybe, the Texans rethought their stance after they were turned down. Smith and the Lions might be willing to show some creativity..........just speculating.

Maybe, the Texans rethought their stance after they were turned down. Smith and the Lions might be willing to show some creativity..........just speculating.
No, I think the Texans had a window to sign Smith (or any other option year CFLer), and missed it.

CFL players heading into their option years are eligible to sign in the NFL after every season. And Buono historically has made no attempt to extend the contracts of those with a window of opportunity to head south, saying the Lions are not in a position to make an offer that could match even the minimum rookie salary of $295,000 per season in the four-down league.

It's simply the timing of the workout that will keep the Lions on edge today. Option-year players have until 1 p.m. today to sign in the NFL before their rights revert to their CFL team. It means Houston basically would have to offer and negotiate a deal for Smith on the spot.

The option-year signing period opened last month, when Smith's agent was quoted as saying his client had drawn interest from the New York Jets and Chicago Bears.
I believe the NFL has an agreement with the CFL to honor their player contracts. There's actually a rule in the collective bargaining agreement that forbids NFL teams from signing CFL players after their season in Canada is over.

Apparently dratfdaddy.com is reporting in its Rumors that the Bears are shopping Cedric Benson. Not even talking as a fan, from a Front Office standpoint, this makes ABSOLUTELY no sense whatsoever. His stock has never been lower, his cap # is very average next year, and he has nowhere to go but up. And this AFTER we took the burden of last year, alot of his contract, and traded away Thomas Jones so that there's no one behind him?

It would be ridicolously stupid to move Benson now. And for what? A 4th or 5th rounder? He wouldnt bring in much, nothing that could help us right away. Its create another hole because instead of partially having something at the RB spot we'd have to completly start over...again. I really hope this isnt true. Say what you want about the guy, but I think its hard to argue against the implications. What are your thoughts?

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/thread/891072.aspx

i just read on the espn boards that it could be Cedric Benson

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=5644&page=8

:hmmm:

edit: forgot links.

It better not be Cedric Benson.

Well the only thing I can think of is they want to lock down the RB hole befor the draft. I don't agree with it whether it is Benson or the burner. I have my doubts too up there. My last images of Turner the burner I have was of him being stuffed in a play off game with a much better line than we have.

Maybe they have two or three guys targeted and don't have the heart to wait and see what will fall to them in the third and forth rounds.

NFNn is reporting a deal in the works for Deshawn Foster to Tampa. Aparently, Cadillac's injured knee is very serious. Career threatening wasn't said...but hinted at.

The NFL phsycal year is fixing to flip. A lot of these moves will straighten themselves out in the next ten days or so. Can't give the same guy two contracts in the same year. Guys like Micheal Strahan and Flozzel Adams will get redone at the first of March.

Please don't waste money on Turner! He is an upgrade over what we have, but will not be near the money he is making.

He's a product of Lorenzo Neal, The Chargers O-Line, and the fact that defenses relax a bit when LT is off the field (same with Felix Jones at Ark)

I'd figure Fragile Matty and Sage would show the fans about overrated back up players

If it's Benson or Foster, then I conclude that someone put voodoo dolls in the walls of the GMs office when the stadium was being built ...

That's one rumor that can't be true.

It better not be Cedric Benson.

Cedric Benson and the Bears were a nightmare waiting to happen. IIRC he was taken fourth overall, held out during training camp, Watched Jones run like a mad man, and never got a fair opportunity to show the Bears organization what he can do.

I think there are a lot of guys in that locker room who would rather have Jones as there RB and got upset when he was traded. I believe that Benson was never given a fair chance in Chicago from day one. I believe that there are guys in that locker room who would go to great links to make sure that Benson's career in Chicago is over. He was a great runner in Texas, there was a reason he was taken first five.

A change of scenery is exactly what Benson needs. Who knows, maybe coming back home to Texas could save his career. B/C the state of Texas does have natural healing powers.:music:

I may have found a claim to this rumor.....it could be a mistake by the NFL Network.

Sorry if this has been already posted.

34dmxj7.jpg

If this rumor is true and we do pick up a RB via trade I don't think that necessarily keeps us from drafting one as well. I think with the number of injuries we saw last year and the uncertainty we have experienced at RB over the two seasons Kubiak has been here, he and Rick Smith are going to do everything in their power to have several starting capable backs on the roster. Kubiak has stated in many of his pressers that in the NFL today you not only need 2 starting capable RBs but a third as well.

Ahman Green would be one of those guys, whether we keep him or not remains to be seen. But from all indications from Smith and Kubiak, he is here to stay. Ron Dayne would be another one, but he is an UFA and LZ has said that he doesn't think Dayne fits Gibbs' system and wouldn't be suprised if Dayne wasn't re-signed. Then you have the Chris Taylor and Darius Walker types who are more insurance than someone you would go into a season with and expect to give you starter quality time.

So, say we do give a 5th rounder for a Cedric Benson-esque player, who's to say that keeps us from drafting another RB in the first three rounds as well? While it might hurt to use two of our 6 draft picks on one position it would give you a lot more to be confident about at the position going into next season (ie. Ahman Green, Ray Rice, Cedric Benson vs. Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker.) There is also the possibility of trading back a number of spots to pick up extra picks.

And this is all assuming it would be some mid-level guy and not more of a blockbuster trade. Would Miami be opposed to letting Ronnie Brown, who's coming off an injury, go for an extra pick(s) with the chance to draft McFadden at #1? Also, with Mendenhall and McFadden both measuring well at the combine and rising up the draft board would teams in the mid-early first round be willing to let their starting RB go for an extra pick(s) with the certainty of McFadden or Mendenhall being there? KC and Larry Johnson, NE and Lawrence Maroney, Baltimore and Willis McGahee? Would you take Willis McGahee and the #38 pick for our #18? Would Baltimore?

I may have found a claim to this rumor.....it could be a mistake by the NFL Network.

Sorry if this has been already posted.

34dmxj7.jpg

I would have to say that is an error on someones part. They also have Green Bay picking 30th. The Packers don't have anyone on there team that is worth the 18th pick, unless they are trying to get rid or Barnett or Hawk.

LJ was called out early in career. Maybe Benson can take his diaper off and start running like a man as well? Then again, I'm anti lets bring in this guy because played at UT.

That was just a sloppy mistake by the NFL Networks graphic department. They also had the Vikings with pick #21 (which belongs to Washington). Both mistakes were corrected on the scroll graphic during their 6pm CST Total Access show.

LJ was called out early in career. Maybe Benson can take his diaper off and start running like a man as well? Then again, I'm anti lets bring in this guy because played at UT.
LJ was on the bench though...Benson has been on the field and hasn't looked like a top5 back. One thing I will say though is that the Bears got rid of another guy who was a late bloomer in the NFL > Thomas Jones. Jones was looked at as a bust his first few years in the league. I'm not so sure Benson is a late bloomer as much as he benefited from Vince Young opening up his running lanes and helping his draft stock soar. Right now he doesn't look like he has the speed and quickness to ever be a big time back in the NFL.

So who does everyone think it is and or who would you like for it to be? Turner got a lot of hype this year correct? I saw him run a few times and thought he looked really promising. That's just my initial thoughts though, I really don't know much about him. I do think that someone will pay him big money, maybe us or maybe someone else. As long as he can produce for us on the field like L.T. does for San Diego, I'd pay for it in a heart beat. I think a great running game would improve our record by 3-4 wins a season. That puts us in the playoffs. I liked the way we ran the ball later in the season, but we need to be consistent from day 1 of week 1 and have the explosive payer with break-away speed.

LJ was on the bench though...Benson has been on the field and hasn't looked like a top5 back. One thing I will say though is that the Bears got rid of another guy who was a late bloomer in the NFL > Thomas Jones. Jones was looked at as a bust his first few years in the league. I'm not so sure Benson is a late bloomer as much as he benefited from Vince Young opening up his running lanes and helping his draft stock soar. Right now he doesn't look like he has the speed and quickness to ever be a big time back in the NFL.

Agree with the second part. I know its hard with a lot of UT fans here sometimes but Benson didn't play very long with Vince. Two years prior Benson came to UT heralded as a freshman. Was doing very well and only in 2004, his last year, Vince became a fulltime starter.

Not everything UT revolves around Vince unlike some want to imagine(not saying you personally). Benson also played behind some damn good O-lines at UT as well. IMO I think the Bears/Benson relationship was doomed from the start. I think it'd be good for both to part ways.

If this rumor is true and we do pick up a RB via trade I don't think that necessarily keeps us from drafting one as well. I think with the number of injuries we saw last year and the uncertainty we have experienced at RB over the two seasons Kubiak has been here, he and Rick Smith are going to do everything in their power to have several starting capable backs on the roster. Kubiak has stated in many of his pressers that in the NFL today you not only need 2 starting capable RBs but a third as well.

Ahman Green would be one of those guys, whether we keep him or not remains to be seen. But from all indications from Smith and Kubiak, he is here to stay. Ron Dayne would be another one, but he is an UFA and LZ has said that he doesn't think Dayne fits Gibbs' system and wouldn't be suprised if Dayne wasn't re-signed. Then you have the Chris Taylor and Darius Walker types who are more insurance than someone you would go into a season with and expect to give you starter quality time.

So, say we do give a 5th rounder for a Cedric Benson-esque player, who's to say that keeps us from drafting another RB in the first three rounds as well? While it might hurt to use two of our 6 draft picks on one position it would give you a lot more to be confident about at the position going into next season (ie. Ahman Green, Ray Rice, Cedric Benson vs. Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker.) There is also the possibility of trading back a number of spots to pick up extra picks.

And this is all assuming it would be some mid-level guy and not more of a blockbuster trade. Would Miami be opposed to letting Ronnie Brown, who's coming off an injury, go for an extra pick(s) with the chance to draft McFadden at #1? Also, with Mendenhall and McFadden both measuring well at the combine and rising up the draft board would teams in the mid-early first round be willing to let their starting RB go for an extra pick(s) with the certainty of McFadden or Mendenhall being there? KC and Larry Johnson, NE and Lawrence Maroney, Baltimore and Willis McGahee? Would you take Willis McGahee and the #38 pick for our #18? Would Baltimore?
I think the texans will draft a speed back but they want a power back who is young and not over the hill like Ron Dayne and Ahman Green. I think the Texans are probably targeting Ray Rice or Steve Slaton in the 3rd round and I think that's where Cedric benson or Ronnie Brown may come into play because the Dolphins have been in discussions with Dallas about trading for there 2 1st rounders and Marion Barber for Darren Mcfadden plus they resigned Ricky Williams as well so Ronnie Brown could be the odd man out and that takes salary cap of the Dolphins books.

I think Justin Blalock & Kasey Studdard were a big part of Benson's success at UT.

Not to mention a handful of other guys like Jonathan Scott, etc....

Back