Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Best zone CBs in the draft?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
It looks like this is the coverage scheme we will be running next season. I think Talib from KU would be an excellent fit if we choose to go CB in the 1st round. I am not too in touch with the CB class right now though so who are some good candidates top to bottom? I'd love to find Fred Bennett part deaux in the 4th round again.

V Man

Pumpkinhead
It looks like this is the coverage scheme we will be running next season. I think Talib from KU would be an excellent fit if we choose to go CB in the 1st round. I am not too in touch with the CB class right now though so who are some good candidates top to bottom? I'd love to find Fred Bennett part deaux in the 4th round again.
S. Car. have any corners coming out this year. We are 2 for 2 with CB's from there. Just keep going back to the well.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
S. Car. have any corners coming out this year. We are 2 for 2 with CB's from there. Just keep going back to the well.
not S. Carolina but N. Carolina State has an interesting prospect @ FS DaJuan Morgan, 6001 205 4.54. someone if available in the 3rd the Texans might have to consider.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
What makes you think we will be running a zone defense for most of the time next year? Am I missing something?
Ray Rhodes traditionally employs zone coverage schemes and nothing that the Texans have done in the Richard Smith area can be as interpreted as man heavy bump and run Packers esque coverage.

That added to everybody saying Jacques Reeves could be a good CB in a zone scheme we're most likely running.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Cason is a complete corner who could play in any scheme. of all the cb's in the draft he may be the most polished.
I want Cason on the Texans more and more as time goes by.

Ray Rhodes traditionally employs zone coverage schemes and nothing that the Texans have done in the Richard Smith area can be as interpreted as man heavy bump and run Packers esque coverage.

That added to everybody saying Jacques Reeves could be a good CB in a zone scheme we're most likely running.
Oh, alright. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame

I think as much as anything, the reason that we've run as much zone as we have is personnel. Aside from D-Rob up until his injury, Smith has had to deal with the talent available, and that hasn't been too conducive to playing a whole bunch of man. Next year may be the same, but I don't think we can say from what's happened over two years that this is the way Richard Smith would prefer it from a philosophical standpoint.

For all you Richard Smith haters, these comments aren't defending him as a DC - I wouldn't have minded seeing a change after last year either, but I just don't know that the reason we play so much zone is because he wants it that way, and I'm not sure I see an asst. D-back coach - even if it is Ray Rhodes - changing the philosophy that would otherwise be in place.

Talib, Godfrey, The South Florida Jenkins, Cason, T. Williams from BC.

Basicly, if you are looking for zone CBs, you are looking for guys that have just slightly above average speed but a good closing 10, as well as the ability and willingness to come up to the LOS. The man CB's are the quicker ones, usually smaller. DRC is an exception to this rule. Guys like Mike Jenkins, DRC, and McKelvin are going to be the better fits for man coverage schemes. They will have a harder time adjusting to zone coverages but will do better in a bump-n-run/dessert storm type defense.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Talib, Godfrey, The South Florida Jenkins, Cason, T. Williams from BC.

Basicly, if you are looking for zone CBs, you are looking for guys that have just slightly above average speed but a good closing 10, as well as the ability and willingness to come up to the LOS. The man CB's are the quicker ones, usually smaller. DRC is an exception to this rule. Guys like Mike Jenkins, DRC, and McKelvin are going to be the better fits for man coverage schemes. They will have a harder time adjusting to zone coverages but will do better in a bump-n-run/dessert storm type defense.
Another thing I like about Cason and Mike Jenkins is that they fit more than one scheme. They both can play zone and man very well. As you've stated here (about Jenkins anyway).

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
Another thing I like about Cason and Mike Jenkins is that they fit more than one scheme. They both can play zone and man very well. As you've stated here (about Jenkins anyway).

anyone hear anything about jenkins? i haven't wanted him since reading this.. and i know you have to take pre-draft negatives with a grain of salt but there does seem to be legitimate character concerns

Downside:
Plays down to the level of competition. Has poor practice habits - finds excuses not to practice, does not understand why it's important and relies way too much on his natural talent Has been coddled throughout college and expects prima donna treatment. Takes too many plays off on the field. Tends to freelance and do his own thing, in part because of his lack of discipline. Will turn down some contact and is a very selective hitter. Only hits when he feel like it. Average ball skills. Marginal hands. Tight in the hips. Does not like to participate in special teams. Lacks mental toughness.

I have read others that echo these sentiments in a milder manner though but essentialy say the same thing.

eg NFLDC 'has some character questions' 'may lack toughness' http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/mikejenkins.html

Character issues are the main concern with Jenkins. Was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest without violence in March ‘07 outside of a bar. Suspended for the infraction

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
anyone hear anything about jenkins? i haven't wanted him since reading this.. and i know you have to take pre-draft negatives with a grain of salt but there does seem to be legitimate character concerns

Downside:
Plays down to the level of competition. Has poor practice habits - finds excuses not to practice, does not understand why it's important and relies way too much on his natural talent Has been coddled throughout college and expects prima donna treatment. Takes too many plays off on the field. Tends to freelance and do his own thing, in part because of his lack of discipline. Will turn down some contact and is a very selective hitter. Only hits when he feel like it. Average ball skills. Marginal hands. Tight in the hips. Does not like to participate in special teams. Lacks mental toughness.

I have read others that echo these sentiments in a milder manner though but essentialy say the same thing.

eg NFLDC 'has some character questions' 'may lack toughness' http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/mikejenkins.html
As far as I know he has been arrested one time in his life. I have not heard any other reasons for character concern other than this one arrest. This is the first I have heard of him not wanting to practice. Not sure you can listen to any draft "expert" anyway, as every year they are wrong about ALOT of players.

V Man

Pumpkinhead
Was on www.nflfans.com and found this guy.

Patrick Lee

Thought he might be a nice CB to grab in the 3rd or 4th (if he is still there)

Pros: Lee has a fairly impressive combination of size and speed. His speed alone could move him up the draft boards after the combine and pro days, if he runs well. In addition to his speed, Lee is noted for his toughness and strength. He has been lauded for his ball skills and ability to turn and run with just about any WR. Lee also has value as a talented special teams player.
Cons: Lee only has one year of starting experience. Prior to 2007, Lee played behind David Irons. To his credit, he did perform well in the time that he was a starter. Lee had some minor knee issues as a junior in 2006. The main knock on him, other than the lack of experience, is inconsistency. However, that may be more of a reflection on his lack of reps than anything else.
Like the fact that he can run with any WR.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
Man, I don't get why most scouts are so down on Cason. I've only seen him a couple times with Arizona not being that great a team and not shown in Houston much. I do remember watching him last season and being impressed.

Sounds like he could be a good fit for our team and supposedly is high character and a pretty smart guy (understands the game). I think the biggest negative on him is he speed. I think he's an all american track star at arizona- but that does NOT mean he has 'football' speed. I thought he performed well at the combine in the drills, and it seems he has the football speed to keep up with receivers. Keep in mind this is a highlight clip so it's just a limited view of him. Keeps up with Desean Jackson the whole way towards the end of the video. (is kind of annoying that they reshowed the same highlight a couple times, just diff. angles).

Anyways, sounds like he can play man and zone. a lot of the highlights showed him making plays in zone, others showed him mirroring receivers like Jackson (small and fast) and Dwayne Jarrett (big wr).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v0o1g52Cvk

RipTraxx

Free Agent

It was apparently his abitlity in press coverage (what we run) then off coverage.

Dont know how to work the quotes but this is what John McClain said.

"Reeves will play in a different system with the Texans. He'll also be used differently — in press coverage rather than off coverage. After scouting him, the Texans believe Reeves is better suited to the style they'll employ."

badboy

Hall of Fame
It was apparently his abitlity in press coverage (what we run) then off coverage.

Dont know how to work the quotes but this is what John McClain said.

"Reeves will play in a different system with the Texans. He'll also be used differently — in press coverage rather than off coverage. After scouting him, the Texans believe Reeves is better suited to the style they'll employ."
The system should be better for Reeves. Up to him what he does with this chance.

Insideop

All Pro
Man, I don't get why most scouts are so down on Cason. I've only seen him a couple times with Arizona not being that great a team and not shown in Houston much. I do remember watching him last season and being impressed.

Sounds like he could be a good fit for our team and supposedly is high character and a pretty smart guy (understands the game). I think the biggest negative on him is he speed. I think he's an all american track star at arizona- but that does NOT mean he has 'football' speed. I thought he performed well at the combine in the drills, and it seems he has the football speed to keep up with receivers. Keep in mind this is a highlight clip so it's just a limited view of him. Keeps up with Desean Jackson the whole way towards the end of the video. (is kind of annoying that they reshowed the same highlight a couple times, just diff. angles).

Anyways, sounds like he can play man and zone. a lot of the highlights showed him making plays in zone, others showed him mirroring receivers like Jackson (small and fast) and Dwayne Jarrett (big wr).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v0o1g52Cvk
I'm not sure why either OMT. Maybe it's because he only ran a 4.49 at the Combine and everyone thought he would be faster, or maybe it's such a deep draft for CB's that he is just getting "lost in the shuffle" so to speak. He still may go in the 1st and I think I would rather have him than Talib. JMHO!