Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Predictions Thread: 2008 Season

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
There are so many predictions in the Schedule thread, so lets just put this one up. My predictions:

1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. L - In Pittsburgh, and is their home opener. Don't like our chances.

2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m. W - A Ravens team with a new coach, shaky QB, and the only team to give Miami a win last season.

3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - The hell with Vince Young.

4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. W - We own them. No reason to lose to them this game, as long as we are healthy.

5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. W - This is finally a win. AJ and company stay healthy.

6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. W - The Dolphins? We better not lose this one is what I say.

7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. W - Detroit still searching for an identity. These guys are pretenders and our D can contain Kitna and their RB's.

8 Oct. 26 Bye W - I'm sure we can win this one.

9 Nov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. W - Peterson is a beast, but here is to hoping Amobi eats him for lunch this game. Their don't have a strong receiver core, and D-Rob will probably be back for this game (especially after a bye). I call a win on this one.

10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. W - Not the same Cincy from even two years ago. They have been on the decline, and I don't see that changing this season.

11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. L - Peyton will want revenge.

12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. L - I hate Cleveland.

13 Dec. 1 Jacksonville Jaguars (Mon.) 8:30 p.m. W - Our boys always get hyped up for primetime, and once again we own the Jags. This is a win.

14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. L - The cold is too much.

15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - Hey Vince, you aren't coming to Houston to win either.

16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. W - DA RAIDAAAS!

17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. L - Season closer and we rev up for the playoffs. Bears win this one as we just mostly play our backups and rest our starters.

Record: 11-5

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Well, I always said I'd predict 8-8 every year until they did it.

Now my prediction goes to Wild Card playoff berth......every year until they do it. Hopefully that doesn't take as long as my 8-8 prediction did.

DiehardChris

You betcha!
Geez, we can't even wait to do this until after the draft?

Fine - 9-7 is my pre-draft prediction. Our schedule is just SO brutal.

DiehardChris

You betcha!
Fair enough... It's not like the draft is going to make us several games better anyway. I hope I'm wrong... I really want that Wild Card.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
all ready said if we win are divison games we will make the playoffs simple has that we can get 10 wins for sure

but what no one talks about what if the worst case scerino happens and right out the gate we go

0-4

Pitts
Ravens
Titans
jags

its possible we coulkd lose all thoes games

i said it once and ill say it agian every team in the NFL is a tough team lets just go week bye week

ANd iam sure we can compete with Pitts so its possible we can win are first 2 agian

Silver Oak

All Pro
With the exception of the titans, our division has not got any weaker IMO.

Pre draft prediction of 9-7, and an exciting season to the end.

Yankee_In_TX

Dance Lindsay!
Stealing GB's text (I got 8-8 last year, but was wrong on HOW we got there...)

1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. L - Road, first game, young team

2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m. W - Of course I'll be wrong on all of these, but how can we not win at home against a new coach and bad team?

3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. L - Lost faith in this series.

4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. W - Despite their team getting better every year, so are we.

5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. W - I alway pick more South games than we win. We HAVE to grab one of these this year.

6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. W - The Dolphins? We better not lose this one is what I say. ---agree with GB

7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. W - HA! Miami Part II, unless they come out of the gate like last year.

8 Oct. 26 Bye

9 Nov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. L - Away, CT and AP. Nuff said.

10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. W - Losing players, locker room problems, just shut down their passing game, I think we can. We'll see if Rudi and Kenny and Kenny are healthy.

11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. L - We're not winning both

12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. L - Whereas I would have said "win" before, if Anderson can keep his magic going....

13 Dec. 1 Jacksonville Jaguars (Mon.) 8:30 p.m. W - Our boys always get hyped up for primetime, and once again we own the Jags. This is a win. ---agree with GB

14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. W - Young QB v. Texans + cold - his inexperience is wrose than ours

15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. L - I just don't believe.....

16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. W - DA RAIDAAAS! --- agree with GB

17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. W - Bear? Ha. Get a QB, some WR's and fix your aging/injured/uninspired "legendary" D.

Record: 10-6 - good improvement, may not be playoff good.

Week spot - picking 2 wins against Jax
Guaranteed wins: Miami, Oakland

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
This team's mantra heading into the season should be, win the AFC South. That is the goal, everything after that is gravy.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. W i like our chances... their o-line is ppretty poor, parker is coming off a broken leg and their D is decent

2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m. W New coach, shaky offence... schaubo throws us to victory

3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W this is the year we finally sink the titans

4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. L too good... after 3 tough weeks we take our first loss

5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. L as long as peyton is there, its should be an L

6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. W better performance than last year

7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. W This is a soft team that have lost quite a bit so far... a comprehensive win going into the bye

8 Oct. 26 Bye

9 Nov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. W if they upgrade on tavaris, id probably change this.... they have a better team, we have a better qb

10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. W another soft team

11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. L sorry

12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. W revenge...count me as somebody who's pretty down on DA... he was terrible the last few games (teams figured him out?)

13 Dec. 1 Jacksonville Jaguars (Mon.) 8:30 p.m. W -Primetime, reliant will be rocking... we'll win a close one

14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. W - GB minus favre doesnt really scare me too much

15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - sweep the tacks this yr

16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. W a tentative victory although this could be like last yrs falcs game

17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. W bears have a great D but they have nobody at qb,rb,wr and their o-line is terrible

Record: a totally unrealistic 13-3... sorry

more realistically we'll lose 1 to the tacks, browns and maybe vikes

barrett

All Pro
This team's mantra heading into the season should be, win the AFC South. That is the goal, everything after that is gravy.
agreed. or even just winning the majority of our divisional games. that puts us a leg up on all our divisional competition. I would be elated to go 4-2 in the AFC South!

I mentioned in another thread, I was reading about Kubiak saying that their goals this year are "get it" for the defense and "keep it" for the offense. The ball that is.

If they can accomplish that, increase turnovers on defense and decrease them on offense and win the majority of the the divisional games I'd bet the rest of the season will turn out really positive.

eriadoc

Texan-American
1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. W - In Pittsburgh, but they'll overlook us. Our guys go in fired up and toss yellow towels out of the stadium.

2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m. W - Our home opener. The fans will be excited, the Ravens QB is not good, and their D isn't what it used to be.

3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - Their QB sucks, and this is the year that our domination begins.

4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. W - We always play the Jags tough. Their run game is good, but our run D will show up and we eke one out.

5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. W - Our best chance to beat the Colts. Mario gets to Manning twice.

6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. W - The Dolphins will improve to 5 wins this year. We won't give up one of those.

7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. W - We should win this one at home.

8 Oct. 26 Bye W - Close call ;)

9 Nov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. W - The Vikings have a helluva run game and nothing else. Road win for the good guys.

10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. W - They'll have both WRs back on the field by then, but team chemistry is shot. Their defense won't contain AJ and Schaub, and we roll.

11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. W - Peyton will want revenge, but will find out that the Texans are for real. Peyton really begins to dislike that Mario pick right about now.

12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. W - Derek Anderson gets off to a slow start, and there's a full-fledged QB controversy by now. Our secondary actually has a great game and we win one at the Dawg Pound.

13 Dec. 1 Jacksonville Jaguars (Mon.) 8:30 p.m. W - By now, the media frenzy is full on, and for a change, people actually tune in for a MNF game. As usual, the good guys are geared up for a prime time matchup, and the world sees that the Texans are for real.

14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. W - It's too early to be truly frigid yet, and Rodgers != Favre. Road win again.

15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - VY already hates the Mario pick. A large number of orange-clad fans are heard booing VY at the end of the game.

16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. W - A nice break for the team, gearing up for the playoffs. Kubiak keeps 'em focused, though.

17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. W - The Bears have no QB, no running game, no WRs, and their D has lost Mike Brown for the 10th season in a row or whatever it is. Kubiak wisely avoids kicking to Hester and we win to duplicate the Pats' feat.

Record: 16-0!!!!

Since it's too early for predictions, and way too early for pessimism, I just figured I'd have fun with it. Go Texans!!

:fans:

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
Sorry to be the guy that pisses in the board's Cheerios here, but my prediction (to quote B.A. Barackus) is "pain."

I hate to say it, but I think that Schaub will go out in the Pittsburgh game. Their defense has a knack for getting to a QB. Our offensive line will be learning a new scheme and their defense will take advantage of it. I also think that the word's out among Defensive Coordinators that if you slam Schaub to the ground enough times, then he'll go out pretty quick.

Seems to me like the only way to keep this from happening is to draft an LT that's a quick study. Looks like our new center has the right attitude.

I'm dreading this game.

On the bright side, I think that things will get better for us after that game and we'll finish 9-7.

drewmar74

disgruntled
1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. Win. Yeah, I know. On the road, yada yada yada. For some reason, the Steelers under Tomlin just don't scare me like the did under Cowher. I'm thinking that we can sneak one in kinda like we did against Carolina last year.

2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m. Win - Ummmm, win. I guess. The Ravens D is still solid but I'm not sold on their offense. Even with a new head coach.

3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. Loss - Ever get the feeling someone has our number?

4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. Loss - I'm still not sold on our ability to shut down their running game.

5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. Loss - I still don't think we have the horses to stick with these guys.

6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. Win - Ronnie Brown is the only thing I'm concerned about here. I wouldn't want to play these guys in the second year of the Parcell's rebuilding project, though.

7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. Win - Wow. They suck. I don't see that changing this year.

8 Oct. 26 Bye

9 Nov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. Loss - See my comments from the Jaguar game. They'll run at us and wear us down. Sage will also be out to prove that we traded the wrong guy.:stirpot:

10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. Loss - Unless we make some radical improvements in our secondary, I don't like the idea of their passing game against our D.

11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. Loss - Nope.

12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. Loss - Maybe a W if we actually have a running game. I still think that November plus open air in Cleveland is a tough gig. We better be able to run or its not going to happen.

13 Dec. 1 Jacksonville Jaguars (Mon.) 8:30 p.m. Win - Prime time? At home? Maybe its a little homer coming out in me, but I'm calling it a win.

14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. Loss - good solid defense and Aaron Rodgers played well in relief against Dallas. If he can stay healthy and especially if Old Man Winter has arrived, well, I just don't like our chances here.

15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. Win - Ummmm, its not really your house, Vince. Yours is in Possum Holler.

16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. Win- I'm thinking that Russell ends up being a bust and that the DeAngelo Hall actually causes the team to implode.

17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. Win. - I don't think that C. Benson and Grossman are enough to carry this team. I would think that by this late in the season they're out of it and we might even be facing Kyle Orton.

Record: 8-8

Hagar

Drink up yall, its the Texans!
at Pittsburgh Steelers W Pitts was not the same team at the end of the season last season

Baltimore Ravens W No QB, Aging D

at Tennessee Titans L Curse of VY
at Jacksonville Jaguars L This one may be ugly. We glotted a little too much on the win last year that didn't mean anything.

Indianapolis Colts W This maybe wishful thinking. Indy is still very dangerous.

Miami Dolphins W Miami will still be rebuilding

Detroit Lions W Na, its Detroit

at Minnesota Vikings L This is a very winnable game.

Cincinnati Bengals W Once a dominating team, now in taters

at Indianapolis Colts L Its the Colts in Indy

at Cleveland Browns L Also a winnable game. I really like the direction this team is going.

Jacksonville Jaguars L Jacksonville will be in the hunt for the playoffs. This could be another really ugly loss.

at Green Bay Packers L This is a good young team. Also very winnable.

Tennessee Titans W Hoping for a break in the VY curse.

at Oakland Raiders W Its the Raiders, we better win.

Chicago Bears W No QB, now no WR.

A lot will depend on the draft but until we fix the OL and get a running game, I still think we're 8 - 8.

Ryan

THIS YEAR
1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m-L I think this could go either way. But i'm going with a loss because their defense scares me and it's in Pittsburgh.

2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m.-W- This will be the only easy game for a while, their offense is mediocre and their defense is not much better.

3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m.-W- Always a tough game when we play them but the tides are gonna change this year. People have figured out VY and i believe if we get the right help in the draft, we can be able to tame the two-headed monster Haynesworth and Vanden-Bosch.

4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. L-although fred taylor isn't getting any younger, he and MJD will team up and take down our rush defense once again. We will put up a much better fight than our game in Jax last year.

5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. W-pull out a close win for our second win against these guys.

6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. Win - will be better, but we're still way better than they are.

7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. Win - just not good enough for anything.

8 Oct. 26 Bye

9 Nov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. Win-you never know if adrian peterson will be healthy, but either way, they can still run the ball well. But i think we win this one because we have a better QB and defense.

10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. Win-a few weeks ago i would have said loss just because we would lose in a shootout. But Chad Johnson wants out, and they have enough problems as it is.

11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. Loss - They end our 5 game winning streak.

12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. Loss-You never know what product the browns wil put on the field, but this will be a tough road game.

13 Dec. 1 Jacksonville Jaguars (Mon.) 8:30 p.m. Win - We will be rowdy for this one and we are gonna feed on the Jaguars on National television.

14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. Loss - it will be cold, and it is hard enough winning at Lambeau. Favre or no Favre, they will win this one.

15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. Loss-tough, hard fought, emotional game. But Tennessee gets revenge in our house.

16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. Win- It's the Raiders.

17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. Win- unless the get some offensive help, they won't be much of a factor with Grossman/Orton at the helm and injury prone and underperforming Benson.

final record 10-6! First ever playoff berth for the Texans!:fans:

edo783

Hall of Fame
Based on schedule....8-8 is most likely.....9-7 is possible.....10-6 at the outside if we stay real healthy.

mattschaub#8

hi im matt jk
resons to be the best =]

1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. W- TEXANS RIOT TO WIN OPENER MATTS HEALTHY AND AHMAN....(OUT ON LEAM) HEALTH AND RUNS LIKE HELL...MABY

2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m. W - NEW COUCH COME ON!!!!!!

3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - VINCE OUT WITH TORN TINDON IN LEG BYE MARRIO WILLAMS WILL MISS THE REST OF SEASON =]:texflag:

4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. W - GARNERD THOS NOT LIVE UP TO LAST YEARS SACKED 3 TIMES

5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. W - THERE WILL BE NO RUN GAME PANTON HAS TO MUCH PRESHUR ON HIM AND LOST TO FILD GOAL

6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. W - THE DOLPHINS?

7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. W - DETRROIT STINKS PERIOD...

8 Oct. 26 Bye WONT COUNT

1 p.mN ov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m W - peterson will do the oppiosite of marrio willaims and do like regie did last year

10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. W - Not the same Cincy from even two years ago. They have been on the decline, and I don't see that changing this season.

11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. w - Peyton will want revenge. and will get sacked even more =]

12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. w- suks

13 Dec. 1 Jacksonville Jaguars (Mon.) 8:30 p.m. W - Our boys always get hyped up for primetime, and once again we own the Jags. This is a win.

14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. L - cold is a blessing bye the texans tired of the warmth i say win.

15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W - Hey Vince, you aren't coming to Houston to win either.

16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. W - DA RAIDAAAS! like why how when canthey win he he

17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. w- suky qbs

16-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I’m not going to attempt to make a prediction on the individual games, but I’m going to make two predictions here on an if-this-happens scenario. Of course, after the draft, we may all want to change our predictions, and I might do that also.

In any case, the Texans averaged 99 yards a game rushing last season. That ranks us in 22nd place. Given we now have Gibbs and will probably draft a rusher in the 3rd or 4th round, I say we should improve to 115 to 120 yards a game rushing. If this happens, we go 9-7 or 10-6 because we still haven’t plugged all the holes in our defense yet. And probably won’t until we complete another off-season. Houston finished last year ranked 11th in passing, if we can improve from 22nd to someplace in the upper half of the league in rushing, we’ll be competitive.

However, if the rushing game does not improve, we go 7-9 or 8-8. We have a tougher schedule this year than last, so an only slightly improved Texan team may simply just tread water this year as far as the schedule goes.

maddogmrb

Rookie
I agree with eriadoc, 16-0, totally realistic just as:

Schaub will not miss a down. Throws 4000+ yards, 41 tds, 0 ints, Pro Bowl.

Dayne will lead the league in rushing with 2300 yds, and 16 tds.

Mark Bruener will become the premier pass catching in the league with 20 tds.

Entire Texans oline goes to the Pro Bowl.

Mario gets 32 sacks, Omobi gets 16, and Anthony Weaver comes out of nowhere to get 20 sacks, all are Pro Bowlers.

Our 3 LBs combine for 600 tackles, 44 sacks, and 12 ints - all Pro Bowlers, of course.

Petey Faggins replaces Dunta and nobody catches a ball on him all year. He has 32 ints & becomes an emergency HOF inductee before the 1st playoff game! Dunta is traded at mid-season.

Texans beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl 63-0 as Matt Schaub completes 100% of his passes and is never touched by the Cowboy defense.

Texans cheerleaders spend a week at my place celebrating!

:texflag:

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Sorry to be the guy that pisses in the board's Cheerios here, but my prediction (to quote B.A. Barackus) is "pain."

I hate to say it, but I think that Schaub will go out in the Pittsburgh game. Their defense has a knack for getting to a QB. Our offensive line will be learning a new scheme and their defense will take advantage of it. I also think that the word's out among Defensive Coordinators that if you slam Schaub to the ground enough times, then he'll go out pretty quick.

Seems to me like the only way to keep this from happening is to draft an LT that's a quick study. Looks like our new center has the right attitude.

I'm dreading this game.

On the bright side, I think that things will get better for us after that game and we'll finish 9-7.
Houston has made you a hater. Come back to Austin and get your flow back. :specnatz:

Revolution

Rookie
I agree with eriadoc, 16-0, totally realistic just as:

Schaub will not miss a down. Throws 4000+ yards, 41 tds, 0 ints, Pro Bowl.

Dayne will lead the league in rushing with 2300 yds, and 16 tds.

Mark Bruener will become the premier pass catching in the league with 20 tds.

Entire Texans oline goes to the Pro Bowl.

Mario gets 32 sacks, Omobi gets 16, and Anthony Weaver comes out of nowhere to get 20 sacks, all are Pro Bowlers.

Our 3 LBs combine for 600 tackles, 44 sacks, and 12 ints - all Pro Bowlers, of course.

Petey Faggins replaces Dunta and nobody catches a ball on him all year. He has 32 ints & becomes an emergency HOF inductee before the 1st playoff game! Dunta is traded at mid-season.

Texans beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl 63-0 as Matt Schaub completes 100% of his passes and is never touched by the Cowboy defense.

Texans cheerleaders spend a week at my place celebrating!

All of this comes true except the girls go 0-16 and we beat the Giants in the Super Bowl! Oh yeah, and the cheerleaders spend a week at my house! :)

I like to wait for training camp and a few preseason games before predicting a season.

The first 6 years, I was very good in the prediction of the final record.

However, this year seems to be too tough right now to predict with a high degree certainity. Maybe after training camp, but I don't think we are really going to see anything surprising from training camp.

At this time though, I think there are strong arguements for status quo, regression, or better yet, a BREAK OUT YEAR!

I am really looking forward to this year, because there could be some really BIG SURPRISES!

We'll see...

brakos82

Yaters Gonna Yate.
Sep 07 at Pittsburgh 12:00 PM L 27-20 Hines Ward lights up the scoreboard with 197 yards rec. as the offensive line gives up three sacks.
Sep 14 Baltimore 3:15 PM W 34-13 Mario takes his anger out on the Ravens after hearing that VY was nominated Player of the Week after throwing 4 INT.
Sep 21 at Tennessee 12:00 PM L 31-33 He then shows VY who the real Player of the Week is. However, Kerry Collins comes in during the 3rd qtr. and sets the team up for 4 field goals.
Sep 28 at Jacksonville 12:00 PM W 25-24 Kris Brown sticks his tongue out at the Titans, and kicks six field goals to beat the Jags.
Oct 05 Indianapolis 12:00 PM L 17-27 Peyton Manning goes off to film a commercial during the first quarter, letting Houston get out to a 14-0 lead. The Colts then score 27 in a row.
Oct 12 Miami 12:00 PM W 31-17 Travis Johnson tells Miami to shove it up their ass and calls Bill Parcells “A Wicked Witch”.
Oct 19 Detroit 3:05 PM W 37-21 Matt Millen decides to steal Faggins to play him as WR. He ends up scoring 2 TD receptions, but Demeco lets Jon Kitna know that the Lions aren’t going to win 10 games this year.
Oct 26 Byetown 12:00 PM L 0-70 The defense didn’t even show up as the Byes walk right down the field to score time and time again.
Nov 02 at Minnesota 12:00 PM L 34-14 The Purple People Eaters ate Okoye’s shoe. Whatever good that did them, they took care of Houston in this one. Must be groggy from last week.
Nov 09 Cincinnati 12:00 PM W 42-31 Ocho Cinco complains, Ocho Cinco don’t play. Alien-Boy eats up Faggins even though he didn’t want to. He then gets thrown back in jail. The referee gets thrown in jail as well. Tune in next week to see why.
Nov 16 at Indianapolis 12:00 PM L 34-35 Peyton Manning got bored with commercials. Don’t worry. He’s got his own sitcom now. Unfortunately, Faggins was the joke in this one as he lets Wayne by for 4 TD. Turns out the ref was smoking something besides cigarettes.
Nov 23 at Cleveland 12:00 PM L 16-20 Faggins is traded to Detroit for a second-round pick, which strengthened the defense considerably. However, the offensive line struggled, giving Cleveland the win.
Dec 01 Jacksonville 7:30 PM W 34-27 Just the kind of game fans want to see: high-powered offenses, and the return of Dunta Robinson to boot. Schaub breaks the 4th quarter tie with a 61-yard pass to Andre Johnson.
Dec 07 at Green Bay 12:00 PM W 31-17 Schaub was busy filming commercials, so Sage became the starter this week and showed Atari 2600 who’s the boss.
Dec 14 Tennessee 12:00 PM W 31-21 Vince takes it to the house from 54 yards out. Unfortunately for him, the walk out of the field doesn’t count as Houston wins easily.
Dec 21 at Oakland 3:05 PM W 17-13 They were all prepared for the Colts, but the bus driver took them to Oakland, leading to some real confusion. However, Dunta makes the 4th qtr interception, sealing the victory.
Dec 28 Chicago 12:00 PM W 24-8 Mario and Meco said “nuh-uh.” (or however you gangsters say it) and sealed their playoff berth with a decisive win over Da Bears.
Jan 3 at San Diego 3:05 PM W 31-28 Spoiled by a 5-game winning streak, the Texans were ready to kick some California ass. LT’s season-ending injury in Week 11 allowed the Texans to squeak by in Overtime on a 52 yard field goal by Kris Brown.
Jan 10 at New England 6:05 PM L 20-31 Tom Brady threw to Randy Moss all day, making Bennett look dazed and confused out there.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I've been looking at the schedule for the past couple of days and I've come to the conclusion that the Texans have the potential to go 11-5 this year if things go the way they should (from our perspective). Barring significant injuries and assuming that we aren't the only franchise in the NFL that Alex Gibbs can't make run the football I'd say we're going 11-5 this year.

W. Pittsubrgh is not immune to early let downs in the season and this isn't Nolls or Cowhers Steelers. We can win the season opener. 1-0

W. Baltimore isn't what they used to be either. We can win that game and I see no reason not to expect a win if we manage to get by the Steelers in the previous week. 2-0 just like last season.

W. Tennessee is a tough game as usual but I consider it winnable if we're playing them with an actual running game (which we're supposed to have this year). 3-0

L. Jacksonville is another tough game (particularly at their house) and it's likely that we drop this one. 3-1

W. Indianapolis at our place we win. We might very well have won last year if we'd had AJ and this time we'll not only have AJ but we'll have a running game. The Colts are great and can win anytime they take the field but I think we'll split with them this year and this is our win. 4-1

W. Miami is rebuilding and they're not going to be done quickly enough to win this game. We take it in much more convincing fashion than our win in 2007. 5-1

W. Detroit is Detroit. They are capable of beating other teams but that's just because of the "any given Sunday" rule. At home we should win this game and we will if we're really where we think we are in terms of improvement. 6-1

Bye Week

L. Minnesota beats us after a bye week. Young team gets the big head following a two weeks of stories about how good the Texans are. You know the story. 6-2

*****The Texans finish the first half of the season 6-2 and there is much rejoicing*****

W. Cincinnati has owned us since we entered the league but I just don't see them having a great year this year. I think this year is different and we take care of business at home. If this was in Cincinnati this would be an L but it's here so we go to 7-2

L. Indianapolis We're not going to sweep the Colts so we might as well put that thought out of our minds. If we're lucky (I think we are this year) then we split with them and hope we don't see them again in the playoffs. This is the one they win. 7-3

W. Cleveland. I hate Cleveland because they always seem to give us trouble (much like Cincinnati) and it never matters how good or bad they are. This year I think we can handle them and we go to 8-3

W. Jacksonville. We lose to them at their place and beat them at ours. Sounds about right. 9-3 with people talking playoffs.

L. Green Bay. The Packers aren't the same team without Favre (big surprise) and we can win this game but we won't. It's frustrating but we fall to 9-4

W. Tennessee we sweep with a strong win at Reliant to close them out for the year. The Texans go to 10-4

W. Oakland. How long can Oakland stay bad? At some point aren't they going to turn things around? I'm hoping this isn't the year it happens and that they're just not ready to win with Russell yet. I think this game will be closer than it should be but we'll win it to go to 11-4 on the year.

W. Chicago. At home we're still talking about a team that's got crap quarterbacking and a lousy running game. That may change between now and then but for the moment I'm predicting we close the year with a win making us 12-4

But wait! I said we'd be 11-5 this year at the start of this post didn't I? Of course I did. I meant it too even though I just finished saying we'd be 12-4 following Chicago. Knock one of these wins off and count it as stupid blind homer-fed optimism. I see those games going down like this but the games never do play out like we think they will.

11-5

maddogmrb

Rookie
Herv, what I find amusing about your post is that you wait until we beat Jacksonville in the Monday night game and go to 9-3 before "people start talking playoffs".

I guarantee you that if we beat the Steelers in the first game the playoff talk will start right then and, I'll admit, it'll be on my mind, too.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
What is brakos smoking?! That can't be just the koolade.
Where can I get some?

J-Russ

Veteran
Sep 07 at Pittsburgh 12:00 PM L 27-20 Hines Ward lights up the scoreboard with 197 yards rec. as the offensive line gives up three sacks.
Sep 14 Baltimore 3:15 PM W 34-13 Mario takes his anger out on the Ravens after hearing that VY was nominated Player of the Week after throwing 4 INT.
Sep 21 at Tennessee 12:00 PM L 31-33 He then shows VY who the real Player of the Week is. However, Kerry Collins comes in during the 3rd qtr. and sets the team up for 4 field goals.
Sep 28 at Jacksonville 12:00 PM W 25-24 Kris Brown sticks his tongue out at the Titans, and kicks six field goals to beat the Jags.
Oct 05 Indianapolis 12:00 PM L 17-27 Peyton Manning goes off to film a commercial during the first quarter, letting Houston get out to a 14-0 lead. The Colts then score 27 in a row.
Oct 12 Miami 12:00 PM W 31-17 Travis Johnson tells Miami to shove it up their ass and calls Bill Parcells “A Wicked Witch”.
Oct 19 Detroit 3:05 PM W 37-21 Matt Millen decides to steal Faggins to play him as WR. He ends up scoring 2 TD receptions, but Demeco lets Jon Kitna know that the Lions aren’t going to win 10 games this year.
Oct 26 Byetown 12:00 PM L 0-70 The defense didn’t even show up as the Byes walk right down the field to score time and time again.
Nov 02 at Minnesota 12:00 PM L 34-14 The Purple People Eaters ate Okoye’s shoe. Whatever good that did them, they took care of Houston in this one. Must be groggy from last week.
Nov 09 Cincinnati 12:00 PM W 42-31 Ocho Cinco complains, Ocho Cinco don’t play. Alien-Boy eats up Faggins even though he didn’t want to. He then gets thrown back in jail. The referee gets thrown in jail as well. Tune in next week to see why.
Nov 16 at Indianapolis 12:00 PM L 34-35 Peyton Manning got bored with commercials. Don’t worry. He’s got his own sitcom now. Unfortunately, Faggins was the joke in this one as he lets Wayne by for 4 TD. Turns out the ref was smoking something besides cigarettes.
Nov 23 at Cleveland 12:00 PM L 16-20 Faggins is traded to Detroit for a second-round pick, which strengthened the defense considerably. However, the offensive line struggled, giving Cleveland the win.
Dec 01 Jacksonville 7:30 PM W 34-27 Just the kind of game fans want to see: high-powered offenses, and the return of Dunta Robinson to boot. Schaub breaks the 4th quarter tie with a 61-yard pass to Andre Johnson.
Dec 07 at Green Bay 12:00 PM W 31-17 Schaub was busy filming commercials, so Sage became the starter this week and showed Atari 2600 who’s the boss.
Dec 14 Tennessee 12:00 PM W 31-21 Vince takes it to the house from 54 yards out. Unfortunately for him, the walk out of the field doesn’t count as Houston wins easily.
Dec 21 at Oakland 3:05 PM W 17-13 They were all prepared for the Colts, but the bus driver took them to Oakland, leading to some real confusion. However, Dunta makes the 4th qtr interception, sealing the victory.
Dec 28 Chicago 12:00 PM W 24-8 Mario and Meco said “nuh-uh.” (or however you gangsters say it) and sealed their playoff berth with a decisive win over Da Bears.
Jan 3 at San Diego 3:05 PM W 31-28 Spoiled by a 5-game winning streak, the Texans were ready to kick some California ass. LT’s season-ending injury in Week 11 allowed the Texans to squeak by in Overtime on a 52 yard field goal by Kris Brown.
Jan 10 at New England 6:05 PM L 20-31 Tom Brady threw to Randy Moss all day, making Bennett look dazed and confused out there.

Brakos82 has an elite reputation and well worth reading.

Trail.Blazr

Hooked up to a Kool-Aid IV
Herv, what I find amusing about your post is that you wait until we beat Jacksonville in the Monday night game and go to 9-3 before "people start talking playoffs".

I guarantee you that if we beat the Steelers in the first game the playoff talk will start right then and, I'll admit, it'll be on my mind, too.

I'm thinking playoffs is something an 8-8 team in our division should be talking going into the next season. Nothing wrong with it, even before the draft. As far as at what point in the season, I reflect back to last season, starting out 2-0 and doing it in a good way, only to get bit HARD by the injury bug at a time where we should have been shifting from 3rd to 4th gear, which bring me to my prediction....

At NO time in the season will ALL of our offensive Skill Position stars be missing playing time at the SAME time.

The latter part of the season really seemed to show definate vunerabilities in the secondary with DR out, and we get to start it off that way. I'm hoping we can at the very least address our secondary in a way that pays benefits in week 1 during this weekends draft. That and protecting the QB, something we still have yet to have success with.

Trusting that RS and Kube's have a better grasp on what is needed than I, I would suggest we can at the very least have our first WINNING SEASON.

:gotexans1