Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Not very happy with the pick, but at least they picked up some other picks and got him.

Alex Gibbs is definitely going to be either hated or loved.

swtbound07

Jackass of Day!
we reached massively, and passed on cason and phillips. this WILL haunt us. Screw Gibbs.We reached for the 8th freaking tackle. I hate this.

drewmar74

disgruntled
Here's a little information on him... per NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/duane-brown?id=808

Regarded as the best athlete on the team, Duane Brown started three seasons at offensive tackle after converting from tight end.

After lining up on the right side as a sophomore and junior, Brown was shifted to left tackle as a senior. The offense struggled throughout the 2007 season, as the front wall allowed 54 quarterback sacks after giving up only 29 in 2006.

Brown lettered twice as a tight end and defensive end at Hermitage High School. He was rated the 13th-best prospect in Virginia by the Roanoke Times and Super Prep, ranked 49th among the nation's tight ends by Rivals100.com, and rated 37th on Tom Lemming's All-Mid Atlantic team.

He played in the Panthers' first three games his senior year before suffering a broken leg, but returned for the Central Region semifinal game, catching seven passes for just under 100 yards in his limited playing time. He also recorded 15 tackles, along with a pair of sacks to earn second-team All-District honors.

As a junior, Brown registered 10 catches for 115 yards and two scores, while contributing six sacks on defense. He also lettered in basketball, averaging 15 points and 12 rebounds a game. In track, he finished fourth in the Group AAA outdoor shot put competition.

Brown enrolled at Virginia Tech, red-shirting as a tight end on the scout team in 2003. He appeared in 13 games as a reserve tight end in 2004, catching three passes for 64 yards (21.3-yard average) and one touchdown. He participated on 157 offensive snaps and 150 more on special teams.

Brown was listed second on the depth chart at tight end during fall drills, but prior to the season opener, he moved to right offensive tackle, starting all thirteen games. In 673 offensive snaps, he collected fifteen knockdown blocks. He also appeared in 148 special team plays.

As a junior, Brown continued to excel at right tackle. He registered 22 knockdowns in a total of 806 snaps. He also performed on special teams, recording two tackles while blocking a field goal. He earned second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference recognition and was voted state Offensive Lineman/End of the Year by the Richmond Touchdown Club.

In 2007, Brown garnered second-team All-ACC honors. He switched to left offensive tackle, totaling 34 knockdowns, but he also allowed 8.5 of the 54 sacks given up by the front wall. He blocked a pair of kicks and registered four tackles. He also became a two-time state Offensive Lineman/End of the Year pick by the Richmond Touchdown Club.

Career Notes
Brown registered 71 knockdown blocks in his three seasons as an offensive tackle...Also recorded six tackles 94 solo) and blocked three kicks on special teams...On offense, he caught three passes for 64 yards (21.3-yard average) and one touchdown, adding three yards on a rushing attempt.

swtbound07

Jackass of Day!
this pick will haunt us. mark my words....we messed up bad. We traded back ignorantly, and for what??? really? im curious...espn hasn't covered the trade. What did we get for passing on mendenhall

Ryan

THIS YEAR
this pick will haunt us. mark my words....we messed up bad. We traded back ignorantly, and for what??? really? im curious...espn hasn't covered the trade. What did we get for passing on mendenhall
the ravens 3rd round pick(89th overall) and 6th round pick(173rd overall).

BSofA04

Veteran
F-ing stupid. Not a good selection at all....what a f-ing reach. Not liking this pick at all...just about all the peeps we wanted have gone to other teams.

Worst. draft. ever. I can't believe I waiting this long for this guy.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
A 3rd and 6th. I was at least hoping for Mike Jenkins. Damnit Texans!

swtbound07

Jackass of Day!
he's not a sexy name that everyone targeted for 3 months and built up into this giant fantasy, so folks are now pissed off.
yes...im pissed that we took the EIGHTH BEST TACKLE over Cason and phillips. Im pissed mendenhall fell to us by some miracle and we threw him away for a 3rd and a 6th...and then BLEW a first round pick. Screw this. Screw Gibbs. This is a pathetic reach.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
I'm seeing the logic here now.

He had a 2nd round grade, but we didn't have a 2nd round pick.

So we reached.

Hagar

Drink up yall, its the Texans!
Football Futures write-up

Duane Brown OT 6’5 308 Virginia Tech
By: Robert Davis
Brown signed on with the Hokies as a tight end. He redshirted his first year in the program, then caught three passes for 64 yards and a touchdown in his first season on the field. He was moved to offensive tackle before the 2005 season, and moved into the starting lineup at right tackle. He’s been a starter at tackle since.

Brown is a very good athlete, and has a lot of upside because of his natural ability. He was a tight end just two years ago, so he has the natural athleticism, quickness, and lateral agility to be a quality pass protector in the NFL. Brown has been a solid performer on the field, but it is the upside that entices teams.

This is just his third season on the offensive line, so he is definitely a work in progress. He is relying on his talent and intensity right now because of his inexperience. He lacks consistency on the field, and may need time to develop before he steps on to the field. Brown will also need to continue to get stronger in the NFL to develop a more well rounded game.

Duane Brown has a lot of upside, and that may cause him to be taken earlier than his on field performance has shown to date. The natural gifts he has project very well to the left side in the NFL, and everyone is looking for a left tackle that can keep the quarterback standing.

New_Texans

Rookie
^^^

Reminds me of the Spencer pick w/o the "big nasty" quality to it.

We've been bitching for 6 years about a LT and we get one and everybody starts crying.
seriously, no one even knows anything about him but they complain. I mean, Spencer wasn't expected to do much but he was fine until he got injured. We just won't know until he plays. Look forward to Matt Forte in the 3rd unless we trade to get a pick in the second.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
It's all about if this guy can come in and produce. If he can be an efficient LT of the future I am ok with the pick, if not I am mad that we passed on Mendenhall.

We may be able to get a good RB like Matt Forte in the 3rd round. Either way, we need a corner in our next 2 or 3 picks.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Aw for Christs sakes. What happened to the old We Trust Rick Smith ****? Maybe this guy has something we aren’t looking at.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
This is probably one of those "Athletic quick fast" linemen. So basically I'm happy with it, because I wanted a lineman. It's not the name that I want, but all of you guys who are crying remember that the '06 and '07 drafts were awesome.

In Kubes we trust.

kastofsna

Hall of Fame
texans needed an OT, they traded down and picked up some picks and picked the best one available at 26. don't see a lot of downside there.

bah007

Hall of Fame
texans needed an OT, they traded down and picked up some picks and picked the best one available at 26. don't see a lot of downside there.
I'm just down cuz we landed in perfect position for Cason & didn't grab him.

Brown fills a need, but I thought CB was a more dire position of need in the 1st.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
lol at the bitching..

we took the highest rated OT.. just because the scouting sites underestimated the OT class as a whole, the whiners are crying

Fox

Rookie
I really wanted a tackle in the first round, can't say I ever expected this one though. Not too stoked he gave up 8.5 sacks last year, but I'll reserve judgment as always until I see what our coaches do with him and how he performs on the field.

swtbound07

Jackass of Day!
what a waste. pathetic. pathetic. I hate this pick... I'm even more disturbed that porky likes it. Now i know we crapped out.

Hagar

Drink up yall, its the Texans!
seriously, no one even knows anything about him but they complain. I mean, Spencer wasn't expected to do much but he was fine until he got injured. We just won't know until he plays. Look forward to Matt Forte in the 3rd unless we trade to get a pick in the second.
Big difference, Spencer was taken in the third round. The same place were this guy should have been taken.

We could have gotten Dan Connor or Travarious Gooden at OLB and still gotten this dude in the third round.

Andrew6

All Pro
I'm kind of confused, why did we trade down 8 spots and only get a 3rd and a 6th for this? shouldn't we have atleast gotten a decent second and traded first places?