Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sounds like Cedric Benson is coming to Houston

ATXan

Practice Squad
I know I never post here but I have some info I think some people would like to know. Cedric Benson is a client at a place were I work and he was just in today. He was talking about the teams that he is talking with and the one that is closest to reaching a deal is Houston Texans. So what do you think.:thisbig:

I will believe it when I see it. If it does go down... I have all the trust in the world in Rick Smith and our negotiators. We do have 2 running backs in Ahman Green and Chris Brown who haven't been able to stay on the field recently. I guess if the price is right (see Rick Smith comment above), it couldnt hurt to have him for insurance. But again, probably wont happen.

lets just suppose it is true, how does he fit under the cap? would that be the end of Green? Benson, Brown & Slayton none of which has played a down as a Texan, would Rick & Kubiak shake things up that much? :thisbig:

I know I never post here but I have some info I think some people would like to know. Cedric Benson is a client at a place were I work and he was just in today. He was talking about the teams that he is talking with and the one that is closest to reaching a deal is Houston Texans. So what do you think.:thisbig:

Hmmm.

On one hand, the Texans don't like * for brains. Especially ones who have rumors about them about being a bighead that doesn't work hard.

On the other hand, the Texans

coaches are friends with people on the UT staff so can talk about him some,

the current Texans running back group doesn't blow your doors off,

Smith has said that he likes good character guys but is also willing to give people second chances.

Smith likes to throw players at positions of weakness and see if they can become positions of strength.

Benson I am guessing would like to be in some more familiar environs.

Interesting rumor.

Heck, if the Texans sign him they should let him get drunk before the games. He can't run worth a damn sober. Maybe he can hit the holes faster after a few beers!

Yeah, I'm sure that a guy with two recent alcohol-related arrests, who is proven to be lazy, and doesn't have the kind of burst that fits the ZBS is about to sign with the Houston Texans. Sorry, but I have to call BS here.

I think it sucks. I'd rather go to camp with the retreads that we have now than add Benson.

He's never impressed me. So said, here are some snippets from an nice piece regarding Benson that I found yesterday on the Fox Sports website.

http://chi.scout.com/2/764573.html

Benson made the offense way too predictable most of last season
Cedric Benson was always a poor blocker in pass protection and an even worse receiver out of the backfield, which forced offensive coordinator Ron Turner to use Adrian Peterson in obvious passing situations. As a result, enemy defenses knew exactly what to expect based on the personnel in the Chicago backfield. If Benson was in the game, more often that not he was going to get the ball; if Peterson was in the game, more often than not it was going to be a pass.

:mcnugget:

Don't care for that. I think that we're finally at a point where the ZBS will help mitigate our opponents abilities to read what we're doing. Last thing we need is something that will show our hand.

Fellow first-round flop Michael Haynes was asked about Benson recently by the Chicago Sun-Times, and he did not pull many punches on the subject. Haynes said that Benson was lazy with his workout regimen, not a hard worker in practice, and used to being coddled by his coaches, which instantly put him at odds with the majority of his teammates in the locker room – the 36-day contract holdout that caused him to miss all of training camp his rookie year didn't help either. In hindsight, trading Thomas Jones to the Jets, fresh off back-to-back 1,200-yard seasons on the ground, seems ludicrous since Benson did almost nothing to earn the starting job.

Ummmmmm...... sounds great. :sarcasm:

Most of the players have said all the right things when asked about Benson both before and after he was waived by the organization. But if you take a minute to read between the lines, it's not hard to figure out that he was never very popular amongst his teammates and did little to endear himself to the Windy City community. Whether he was boasting about how fast he would leapfrog Jones on the depth chart, leaving the sideline early during a preseason game, or getting arrested back in Texas on two alcohol-related charges

So, we might sign an underperforming, lazy RB who lacks motivation and can't start his car without blowing into a breathalyzer first? Hard for me to get fired up about that.

does this mean there goona bring in VY also, can't help but wonder how good he would have at texas with out VY. i hope this isn't true. hell, the cowboys haven't even signed him.

Yeah, I'm sure that a guy with two recent alcohol-related arrests, who is proven to be lazy, and doesn't have the kind of burst that fits the ZBS is about to sign with the Houston Texans. Sorry, but I have to call BS here.

I think at this point, we are supposed to talk about beggars and choosers.

Signed,
Ron Dayne, Sam Gado, that ex-Raider RB whose name I forget how to spell

It would be a minor surprise to me, but not a major one if it happened.

Smith said some interesting things during the draft process about character and wanting to find out the real situations with players. Ankle bracelet guys are typically not who Smith targets, but you never know what sort of looksee Smith might want to take for a position where you hope that Alex Gibbs can fix through what he does on the line.

He's not my choice, but then again, the Chicago situation with their offense was a bit of a cluster. Hard to say exactly what you are getting with Benson.

I have a hard time believing this could be true. I will just take the believe it when I see it approach.

I don't like the character issues he has stacking up for sure, and we know the FO doesn't dig it, so Cedric has got some 'splaining to do to sell this one.

don't buy it, sorry

Did Toro get fired?

There are some who believe that the Benson-Bears fit was bad from the start. That they started off wrong and it was a bad situation. There's some who believe that not only that he was immature, but he was also homesick.

See e.g.:

Cedric Benson, Bears never a good fit

Cornwell and Benson's agent, Eugene Parker, now have the task of finding employment for a running back coming off ankle surgery, two alcohol-related arrests and enough baggage to need a valet. Somebody will sign Benson, whether it's the familiar Houston Texans or the halfway home for troubled millionaires known as the Dallas Cowboys. First-round draft picks always get second, and sometimes third chances in the NFL.

He simply ran out of chances in Chicago, and the Bears ran out of patience.

They will miss him like a migraine headache. Even before the arrests, Benson was no lock to make the roster. His failure forced the team to draft another running back, Matt Forte, in the second round to replace him. Adrian Peterson can provide a serviceable effort as Forte's backup. Garrett Wolfe needs to progress.

If the Bears find a suitable veteran off an NFL scrap heap and want to take a look, great. If not, it's not like a backup running back is going to make a difference between 7-9 and 5-11.

In the end, that's all Benson was: a backup running back. He wasn't built like one or paid like one, but he ran like one.

That makes him arguably the biggest draft bust in Bears history, a Texas-sized miscalculation bigger than any other the franchise has made.

The Texans would be a good place for Benson to get a new start. Familiar, no dominant running back, a nice offensive system, QB is not an issue, Kubiak is good at getting well paid guys into become more team guys, to prepare like professionals.

Whether the Texans think he has anything to offer and is worth the project, is a different question.

Bring him into camp on an incentive laden deal. Evaluate his attitude and work ethic etc. for yourself. We have two fragile every down backs (does that make them every other down backs that combine to an every down back?) and two 3rd down backs.

Don't give him a chance but make him earn it. He's still a kid and may have been humbled. So long as the contract is performance based, cut him the minute he starts pulling stupid ****. If we had a ground game we could count on this is a much different team. I'm not saying hes a franchise back. I'm not saying he's not. I'm saying sometimes talent is burried under layers and layers of ego. You don't bring a guy like him in on his terms, you do it on yours. I think it would be worth a shot as long as he has come to the realization that he's not the man here.

Mike

Signed,

Smith said some interesting things during the draft process about character and wanting to find out the real situations with players. Ankle bracelet guys are typically not who Smith targets, but you never know what sort of looksee Smith might want to take for a position where you hope that Alex Gibbs can fix through what he does on the line.

He's not my choice, but then again, the Chicago situation with their offense was a bit of a cluster. Hard to say exactly what you are getting with Benson.

I don't think we're beggars so much anymore... and there are guys out there who are better fits, have better character, and who aren't lazy. If we wanted one of them, we'd sign him.

I think its 100% fake, and that you just fabricated the story.

I doubt many people will believe, one, because you didn't give enough info.

Two, because ESPN, Rotoworld, PFT, and the Chron haven't even reported that we've been in talks with Benson.

And three, I mostly don't believe the post because of that childish, immature looking smiley at the end of your post. It totally made your words reek of fakeness.

There are some who believe that the Benson-Bears fit was bad from the start. That they started off wrong and it was a bad situation. There's some who believe that not only that he was immature, but he was also homesick.

See e.g.:

Cedric Benson, Bears never a good fit

The Texans would be a good place for Benson to get a new start. Familiar, no dominant running back, a nice offensive system, QB is not an issue, Kubiak is good at getting well paid guys into become more team guys, to prepare like professionals.

Whether the Texans think he has anything to offer and is worth the project, is a different question.

If he was homesick - that's not the kind of guy I want on my team. I don't want babies who need to be close to mommy. I want football players who don't let stuff like affect their play.

I think its 100% fake, and that you just fabricated the story.

I doubt many people will believe, one, because you didn't give enough info.

Two, because ESPN, Rotoworld, PFT, and the Chron haven't even reported that we've been in talks with Benson.

And three, I mostly don't believe the post because of that childish, immature looking smiley at the end of your post. It totally made your words reek of fakeness.

To be fair, the Texans tend to keep things pretty quiet until they don't want them to be quiet. They are very good at doing that, especially now that Casserly is gone.

Yeah, the last poster who I accused of making up a post was the guy who told us that Jacoby Jones was arrested for DUI several hours before it was official. Heh, you never know. TC's right, it's not like they would be advertising this.

But it would be a HUGE diversion from their character policy... and I get that they could give him a second chance - but it's not that Benson had two alcohol-related issues - it's that he had two within the span of a month. That's an important distinction, IMO. It shows that he's irresponsible, immature, and really, really stupid.

If he was homesick - that's not the kind of guy I want on my team. I don't want babies who need to be close to mommy. I want football players who don't let stuff like affect their play.

Eh, if there are reports that the defense tried to intentionally hurt Benson his rookie year (disputed reports), I could see why he might miss the environs of home.

Hell, I can't leave Texas for more than a week, or I start losing it because I miss Tex Mex so much.

Signed,

I dunno, TC. The bolded sentence sounds an awful lot like Carolina fans last year and Giants fans now spinning the acquisition of David Carr.

Still, I'll keep an open mind since our current stable of runners is hardly imposing. If we do sign him, I assume it will be for minimal bonus/guarantee money and that it will be forcefully explained to Benson that he's going to have to earn a roster spot if he expects to get paid.

I could see this happening. Buy low and sell high. He would get very little money and just about nothing guaranteed as he has already passed waivers with his existing contract, thus ending it.

at face value it sounds like a bad idea but once you realize how little the Texans would risk, and how its the best fit for Benson, it may just work out for everyone.

Here's the most complete statement that Smith has given regarding his attitudes towards character:

Smith will rule out some prospects who got into trouble in college, but he doesn't rule out every prospect because of his off-the-field behavior. Last year, Okoye was one of several prospects who admitted in combine interviews they had smoked marijuana.

"We do exhaustive research because we realize the investment we're going to make," Smith said. "We gather as much information as we can on background and character. We realize that young people make mistakes. The key is do they learn from their mistakes.

"We believe in second chances if we think they're worthy of second chances."

Smith won't comment on specific players and revelations about them and allegations against them, but he's been around long enough to know that if the Texans ruled out every player with some kind of transgression in his background, then he could cut his draft board in half.

"As the general manager, I have to keep the big picture in mind," he said. "I have to build the roster and put the team together. Our goal is to build the best possible team we can with the best possible players we can get."

Ced Benson aside, who here feels totally comfortable with the running back roster as is? It wouldn't surprise me if this is something they are exploring.

So, it is question of $$$ and whether they think he is worth a fresh start in Houston. It would make total sense for Benson as the Texans are being set up as a good place to be a RB now that Gibbs is here. The question is whether the Texans think it makes sense for them.

We don't need him. We have enough RB's already going into training camp, but I still wouldn't mind bringing him into camp. See what he does.

I could see this happening. Buy low and sell high. He would get very little money and just about nothing guaranteed as he has already passed waivers with his existing contract, thus ending it.

at face value it sounds like a bad idea but once you realize how little the Texans would risk, and how its the best fit for Benson, it may just work out for everyone.

I agree. Do I want him to come here, not really. Would I cry if he did, no. I am not impressed with who we have and I was happy with the Green signing when it went down. I think Benson coming here COULDwork out but I wouldn't bank on him coming here or bank on him working out if he did. To me if he came here it would only be for a good will jester and camp foder unless he actually shows up, keeps clean, keeps his mouth shut and performs.

I think that if Cedric Benson can convince the Texans that he's ready to pull his head out of his fourth point of contact and grow up then I'd want to see if his play in Chicago was the abberration and find out if he could help.

He's the same guy who was drafted fourth overall just a few years ago. Out of all the things that combined to put him in that spot the only thing that's presently absent is his reputation. That's gone and will require some serious rehab to get back. Thanks to that and his need to get his career back on track Cedric Benson could be a very inexpensive experiment. The Texans would be foolish to pass on this opportunity IF it's presented to them and they believe he really is ready to straighten out.

As I said to others on this subject, that's going to have to be one hell of a sales pitch.

I think every team in the NFL should have at least one designated law breaker. A guy that breaks enough laws and commits just enough crime to keep everyone else on the team straight. His role could be to take attention away from the team when it's not doing so good. Also, during the offseason it gives fans something to talk about. So yeah Cedric Benson could be that guy for us. He definitely has potential...Of being pulled over by the cops again.

I dunno, TC. The bolded sentence sounds an awful lot like Carolina fans last year and Giants fans now spinning the acquisition of David Carr.
Still, I'll keep an open mind since our current stable of runners is hardly imposing. If we do sign him, I assume it will be for minimal bonus/guarantee money and that it will be forcefully explained to Benson that he's going to have to earn a roster spot if he expects to get paid.

Clearly, you have to learn from your mistakes. But you also can't overlearn from them.

You would like to see a running back show more despite a crap offense. But there have also been situations where running backs produce poorly for one offense and good for other ones and vice versa.

The Texans like lots of legs for camp. Kubiak got crushed in his first year with the situation that they had at running back--he thought he would have DD, he thought his young players would produce more, and that didn't work out so well. He hoped to get more from Green last year and that didn't work out so well.

What if....

What if CB signs a one year deal laden with incentives?

What if CB wants to prove that he belongs in the league and shows up in the best shape of his life?

What if CB runs with a will all year to try to save his last chance in the NFL?

What if CB picks up the ZBS and can function in it?

What if I did my job instead of making 'pie in the sky' what if statements?

You know what - I'm good with it if it turns out to be true... because there's no way Rick and Gary would even entertain the notion unless they thought CB was ready to make a change.

And like you guys say - low risk, high reward. Let them bring him in. I'll be skeptical, but Rick and Gary are good at their jobs, and I trust them.

What if....

What if CB signs a one year deal laden with incentives?

What if CB wants to prove that he belongs in the league and shows up in the best shape of his life?

What if CB runs with a will all year to try to save his last chance in the NFL?

What if CB picks up the ZBS and can function in it?

What if I did my job instead of making 'pie in the sky' what if statements?

What if.......... if were a fifth??

We'd all be inebriated.

We don't need him. We have enough RB's already going into training camp, but I still wouldn't mind bringing him into camp. See what he does.

Signed,
Old and oft injured, oft injured, inexperienced undrafted guy who is coming off injury, and inexperienced undrafted guy.

/sorry about overusing the signed thing, but I got nuthin.

Benson question aside, that group doesn't provide much comfort.

Ced Benson aside, who here feels totally comfortable with the running back roster as is?
I wouldn't be totally comfortable with Cedric Benson on the roster. He's never proven in the NFL to be better than what the Texans already have.

I get why the Texans would take a meeting with Benson. The offensive coordinator is a former college teammate (that's how freakin' young Little Shanny is). The starting right tackle was a high school teammate. Benson has connections here. But, he's likely to be suspended for the 1st 4 games of the season, anyway. I'm sure that Smith & Kubiak will tell Benson to keep his nose and liver clean, and if something comes up during the season, he will be on speed dial.

i don't wanna see this dude here, he can't stay out of trouble & seems like he still can't get over the fact that he's not the man anymore. think about it, this dude has been catered to & pampered since he was in high school, then he gets drafted, sees he's not "the dude" anymore & then begins to engage in self-destructive behavior.

Furthermore, he's not a tough enough runner for me, he tries to pick his way through the line too much........

But, he's likely to be suspended for the 1st 4 games of the season, anyway.

By the time he is ready to come back will be about the time "Ah-man I'm hurt again" Green will be placed on IR. So from a timing aspect that might not be so bad.

But more importantly, I agreed with your point about not being anything that the Texans don't already have.

It would be a really stooooopid signing if the Texans went after that fool. As a UT fan I was a big fan of Benson, but he became a worse RB when he got into the NFL. It seemed like he got slower and his stumbling problem he had at UT got a lot worse. He was always a lousy blocker for the QB even in college. The fact of the matter is that he's NEVER had a good work ethic and he was able to get by in college on talent alone without having to work hard.

He's always been a major pot head and UT alums were always getting that fool out of trouble and having charges dropped against him.

I have been pretty critical of Texans management for years now, and I still am but one thing I can say about Mcnair and company is that they don't go after the Thugs, locker room cancers, or the Pre-madonnas. I can't think of one guy that signed fitting any of those categories since their existance. The only really BAD APPLE the Texans have really ever had that was an embarrasing ***** was Jerome Mathis, but he was a guy from the draft so that doesn't really count and once he had that ordeal with his wife he was sent packing.

The Texans could surely use another serviceable RB, but Benson would be a waste. He doesn't stay healthy, he doesn't work hard, and he isn't really any better than anyone that we already have. This isn't going to happen.

I think every team in the NFL should have at least one designated law breaker. A guy that breaks enough laws and commits just enough crime to keep everyone else on the team straight. His role could be to take attention away from the team when it's not doing so good. Also, during the offseason it gives fans something to talk about. So yeah Cedric Benson could be that guy for us. He definitely has potential...Of being pulled over by the cops again.

Yeah, I like that philosophy. There needs to be one guy in the locker room who has a sign over his locker reading "It may be that the sole purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others".

You know what - I'm good with it if it turns out to be true... because there's no way Rick and Gary would even entertain the notion unless they thought CB was ready to make a change.

And like you guys say - low risk, high reward. Let them bring him in. I'll be skeptical, but Rick and Gary are good at their jobs, and I trust them.

I tend to agree with this take of trusting our HC and front office.

But, the part that bugs me is what Lucky said...

I wouldn't be totally comfortable with Cedric Benson on the roster. He's never proven in the NFL to be better than what the Texans already have.

I get why the Texans would take a meeting with Benson. The offensive coordinator is a former college teammate (that's how freakin' young Little Shanny is). The starting right tackle was a high school teammate. Benson has connections here. But, he's likely to be suspended for the 1st 4 games of the season, anyway. I'm sure that Smith & Kubiak will tell Benson to keep his nose and liver clean, and if something comes up during the season, he will be on speed dial.

Beyond the 4 game suspension, which is already a quarter of the season, I'd be concerned about a potential relapse of the old CB and the distractions that creates for this team. I'm not convinced that this is a strong enough locker room with enough team leaders to prevent a problem situation with one player from infecting the team atmosphere.

i don't wanna see this dude here, he can't stay out of trouble & seems like he still can't get over the fact that he's not the man anymore. think about it, this dude has been catered to & pampered since he was in high school, then he gets drafted, sees he's not "the dude" anymore & then begins to engage in self-destructive behavior.

Furthermore, he's not a tough enough runner for me, he tries to pick his way through the line too much........

The first part is a good point. Some folks just seem incorrigible, which is obviously a perspective, but even so, it's a crap shoot to hope that this guy pulls his head out of his butt in order to save his career.

The second part got me wondering...doesn't Kubiak's system require a one-cut RB who can make the split decision of recognizing blocks almost the moment he's given the ball? I honestly don't know enough about CB's style, but if what you are saying is any indication, I'm just not sure if he'll be a good fit based on his running style in our system.

the longer i think about this, i still don't like it. however, i've learned to trust kubiak and smith. just don't think it's a good fit. better off bringing dayne back in if you ask me. just because he was a top five pick doesn't mean he's a top five talent. dude was a great college player alongside VY and that's about it.

Back