• Braden Fiske DT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marshawn Kneeland Ed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Now the picture has changed somewhat, I thought it might be interesting to take the board's temperature regarding our first pick.
Now it's the second round and we are close to the top, there are multiple scenarios but just pick who you think the Texans take.
I'm taking Rakestraw as the CB class will thin out quicker than the DTs.
Rakestraw was also a T30 visit.
Should only take a small move up to get him.
Edit - The list is ESPN's top ten remaining.
If your guy is not there, post him up.

Last edited:
Now the picture has changed somewhat, I thought it might be interesting to take the board's temperature regarding our first pick.
Now it's the second round and we are close to the top, there are multiple scenarios but just pick who you think the Texans take.
I'm taking Rakestraw as the CB class will thin out quicker than the DTs.
Rakestraw was also a T30 visit.
Should only take a small move up to get him.
Edit - The list is ESPN's top ten remaining.
If your guy is not there, post him up.
If you want to move up, might as well get some Kool Aid. Oh yeah!

Drafting a depth OT in the second round with holes all over the defense makes zero sense. That's a Bill O'Brien pick. That's a smartest-man-in-the-room special. I wouldn't like that pick is the main theme of what I'm trying to say.
Might want to take a peek at the Texans depth chart. A depth OT could be a starter on opening day.

You can get the same quality depth of an OT in the 4th or 5th round. It's a very deep draft at OT this year.
IMO, the Texans brought in a lot of late 1st/early 2nd OTs for a reason. But it may be a moot point if Kingsley Saumaala or Paul are off the board at 2.42.

I'll go off the board with Kingsley Suamataia OT BYU. Had a Top 30 visit and is more likely to be there than Kool Aid.
I get it, but who is your #1 CB if Stingley gets hurt?
Sure, your rookie probably won't be as good as Stingley, but could possibly be better than who is left on the roster.
I reckon you can get an upgrade on the OL further down the list.

I get it, but who is your #1 CB if Stingley gets hurt?
I posted in another thread that Kool Aid and DeJean would be at the top of my list. Don't see either being available. But neither of those guys are going to replace the things Sting can do.

I posted in another thread that Kool Aid and DeJean would be at the top of my list. Don't see either being available. But neither of those guys are going to replace the things Sting can do.
It all depends on if any of these CBs left on the board suit what they're trying to do.

It all depends on if any of these CBs left on the board suit what they're trying to do.
I think McKinstry is an excellent fit for what the Texans do. He can play against big receivers in man. Has 23 passes defensed over the past two seasons. The negative is Kool Aid doesn't get his smallish hands on the ball enough. If that improves, he could be a star.

DeJean may be more of a zone cover, now. His ball skills are as good as any DB in this draft. DeJean has more top end speed than McKinstry. But is not as twitchy. That's why I have Kool Aid a notch above.

I think McKinstry is an excellent fit for what the Texans do. He can play against big receivers in man. Has 23 passes defensed over the past two seasons. The negative is Kool Aid doesn't get his smallish hands on the ball enough. If that improves, he could be a star.

DeJean may be more of a zone cover, now. His ball skills are as good as any DB in this draft. DeJean has more top end speed than McKinstry. But is not as twitchy. That's why I have Kool Aid a notch above.
Yeah I see pundits saying Kool is not the fastest DB in the draft but all his other skills are top notch.
Was there some injury or character issues with him?

I want Kool-Aid, but have no idea who it will be. I can see the logic behind taking a CB, an OT more than a DT or an ILB. I feel S is more likely with the 2nd pick in the 2nd or 3rd if certain players fall that far

I want Kool-Aid, but have no idea who it will be. I can see the logic behind taking a CB, an OT more than a DT or an ILB. I feel S is more likely with the 2nd pick in the 2nd or 3rd if certain players fall that far
If they can get a starting CB here, that would be golden.
Either Okudah or Henderson can slide over to Safety.
I do like Tyler Nubin though.

The Texans may have to select from the next tier of OTs. But I would trust the coaching staff to get Kingsley or Paul ready. They have superior tools to the remaining OTs.
Give me Newton/DeJean/P. Wilson and Caserio can draft a developmental type OT like Gonsalves later in the draft. If that doesn't work Caserio can trade/FA like he did last yr.

BPA

The two players I want are Kool-aid and Johnny Newton. I voted Kool-aid in the poll but we might have to trade up to get him.

Draft the most athletically gifted CB/S in this draft (DeJean) and the most athletically gifted LB in this draft (P. Wilson) even if you have to trade up to get them. Also Newton should be a consideration because he's one of the most athletically gifted DT in this draft.

Not a big fan of Koolaid after seeing UT's WR's tear him up.

Looking forward to tonight.

Drafting a depth OT in the second round with holes all over the defense makes zero sense. That's a Bill O'Brien pick. That's a smartest-man-in-the-room special. I wouldn't like that pick is the main theme of what I'm trying to say.
Taking an OT in the 2nd would not be for depth, you'd expect him to beat out Heck as the starter.

Draft the most athletically gifted CB/S in this draft (DeJean) and the most athletically gifted LB in this draft (P. Wilson) even if you have to trade up to get them. Also Newton should be a consideration because he's one of the most athletically gifted DT in this draft.

Not a big fan of Koolaid after seeing UT's WR's tear him up.

Looking forward to tonight.
I wonder how much of that was based on scheme versus talent. Because later in the same season, Koolaid and Arnold both had solid games against LSU (who did a lot of their damage against the Bama safeties)

With two picks in the 2nd round, take two linemen. One offensive and one defensive. Fill out the rest of the positions (RB, LB, WR, DB) later.

I'm always for taking linemen of any flavor high in the draft. Always. :)

There have been a lot of rumors about moving around. So, I expect to see the first move happen almost immediately in the 2nd round. Someone on this board said that a great safety can make an average CB look great. That's why I think they'll make a run at DeJean to play safety. Of course, I like Nubin a lot also.

There's a lot of guys NOT on this list that could also be in play. I don't buy the thought of an OT early on day 2. In a stretch, I could see round 3. Gonclaves could be in play at that #86 area. I'm thinking day 3 myself.

Right now, I've got Fig Newton, but I am 95% sure Nick will have to trade up if he wants him. But that's my call. Nick trades up, and it's Newton.

If they sit still, I'd pick whoever is highest on my list among those left - DeJean, Saintastril, Koolaid, Rakestraw or Nubin. In short, give me a secondary guy at 42.

Lance Zierlein has us not trading up or down & taking Mike Sainristill (CB) & Michael Hall Jr (DT) in the 2nd & Calen Bullock (S) in the 3rd. I could live with that, but I still think they'll do some trading.

There have been a lot of rumors about moving around. So, I expect to see the first move happen almost immediately in the 2nd round. Someone on this board said that a great safety can make an average CB look great. That's why I think they'll make a run at DeJean to play safety. Of course, I like Nubin a lot also.
I would love to add Newton and DeJean in the 2nd. But DeJean and Nubin would fix a lot of what's wrong with the defense. If they went this way and could add a LB like Wallace or Watson the defense would be pretty darn good.

I had Newton as a top 10 pick and P.Wilson as a top 15 pick, so you can't go wrong with these guys either. Not that I thought either one of those guys would go there.

I have him slotted for the 4th round.
That's right.

Just my opinion, there are players in play at positions that need starters that can start right away in the second round.

I have no issue with drafting o-linemen for this team in both 3rd and 4th rounds. Shoot, draft three in rounds 3-5.

The fact is, the Texans didn't have a first round pick in this draft. They desperately need help on the defensive line. Stingley, while meeting expectations in year two, he's started 20 games out of 34. He has an alarming injury history. I'm not taking his health for granted. I think the odds of him missing games this year is higher than I'm comfortable with. They already need help in the secondary. Ignoring both DT and CB in the second round, or even one of them with Stingley's injury history, opting instead to draft depth o-linemen/man is borderline negligent.

Again, take your shot at an offensive lineman later in the draft. But if a quality DT or CB is staring you in the face at #42, you have to take him.

I'll be surprised and a little disappointed if the Texans go offense at #42. But I'll root for the guy whoever it is.

Lance Zierlein has us not trading up or down & taking Mike Sainristill (CB) & Michael Hall Jr (DT) in the 2nd & Calen Bullock (S) in the 3rd. I could live with that, but I still think they'll do some trading.
I definitely could see them trading up. This is an organization with a totally different draft philosophy than what we were accustomed to. They don't sit still and let other teams jump in front of them. It wouldn't surprise me, and I even expect them to trade up in the second round.

Here’s my list of guys that I’d go with at 42:

Cooper DeJean CB
Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
Mike Sainristil CB
Johnny Newton DT
Ennis Rakestraw CB
Edgerrin Cooper LB
Tyler Nubin S

Khyree Jackson would make a great safety and he should be available in round 3.

Back