Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Stupidly Early '19 Mock Draft

Mari-OWNED!

Bucco Bruce
Was bored using https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/ this morning, and these were my results...

1.28 - Greg Little: OT, Mississippi
2.52 - Bryce Love: RB, Stanford
2.60 - Cody Ford: OT, Oklahoma
3.91 - Trevon Diggs: CB, Alabama
5.167 - Hunter Renfrow: WR, Clemson
6.202 - Blace Brown: CB, Troy
7.221 - Clayton Thorson: QB, Northwestern

Decided to address the obvious with two picks addressing the o-line and at corner. Also really love the idea of giving Watson two more weapons to work with on offense. (Reunite him with Renfrow) Lastly decided to get a developmental QB to sit behind Watson, making Weeden and/or Webb expendable.

I realize a lot of these guys likely won't be available where I got them once the real draft comes along, but it's fun regardless. Anyways comments/criticism is welcome, and also it'd be cool for anyone else to post their results here as well.

OK I played, used Draftteck Big Board, user picks and difficult mode.

1st #28 - OT Trey Adams Washington, 6-7 316, True LT. Rare movement skills with ideal size.

2nd #52 - OT/G Dalton Risner Kansas State, 6-5 310 Fundamentally sound smart football player who can kick in or outside as needed. Immediate upgrade at RT.

2nd #60 - RB/Returner Miles Sanders Penn State, 5-11 215 Potential to mold into feature back and take over return duties.

3rd #91 - 3-4 DE Terry Beckner Jr. Missouri, 6-4 290 Good pass rushing skills, competes through whistle. Concerned about Watt's health and Clowney contract extension.

5th #167 - CB Bryce Hall Virginia, 6-1 200 Considered among best analytical cornerbacks coming out and has flashed both athleticism and plus speed.

6th #202 - CB Iman Marshall USC, 6-1 205 Another big corner, less analytical and more physical. Good hands, has WR well as safety experience.

7th #221 - 3-4 DT Julian Rochester Georgia, 6-5 304 Quality DT who could crack 53 man roster and develop into a nice player for Texans this late in draft.

OK I played, used Draftteck Big Board, user picks and difficult mode.

1st #28 - OT Trey Adams Washington, 6-7 316, True LT. Rare movement skills with ideal size.
Coming off back surgery, Adams had his first start of the season last night in the PAC12 championship game vs. Utah. Adams looked like a guy coming off back surgery, stiff with no lateral agility, and unable to generate leverage. Still has that great LT frame, though. He has a decision to make in regards to asking the NCAA for a 5th year. I think he would get it. But, Adams has a month to get ready for the Rose Bowl. If he makes significant progress, he could go forward to the draft. But, I can't see Adams getting through the combines, the workouts, or the physicals with anything close to a 1st round grade.

Coming off back surgery, Adams had his first start of the season last night in the PAC12 championship game vs. Utah. Adams looked like a guy coming off back surgery, stiff with no lateral agility, and unable to generate leverage. Still has that great LT frame, though. He has a decision to make in regards to asking the NCAA for a 5th year. I think he would get it. But, Adams has a month to get ready for the Rose Bowl. If he makes significant progress, he could go forward to the draft. But, I can't see Adams getting through the combines, the workouts, or the physicals with anything close to a 1st round grade.

Risk reward. If health returns (will be poked and prodded) top LT prospect in draft. End of first round plus value @ huge need. Much higher ceiling than Little, who was way off board when Texans select, at least in this live mode.

Risner is insurance pick. Much safer, lower ceiling but extremely valuable, improving OL talent and depth. Also less pressure to throw Adams in lineup before ready so in couple years when Watson gets his multi million dollar franchise contract he has beat possible OL.

Last edited:
Let’s see if Adams can get through the Rose Bowl and combine before slapping a 1st round grade on him. He’s not playing at a 7th round grade, now.

And if we are going to do mocks, at least mention the current status of the player. Coming off back surgery, after an ACL in 2017, is something draft followers might want to know. A pre-injury Adams was a slam dunk top 10 pick. The current version is a complete unknown.

Let’s see if Adams can get through the Rose Bowl and combine before slapping a 1st round grade on him. He’s not playing at a 7th round grade, now.

And if we are going to do mocks, at least mention the current status of the player. Coming off back surgery, after an ACL in 2017, is something draft followers might want to know. A pre-injury Adams was a slam dunk top 10 pick. The current version is a complete unknown.

The guy sounds like he should be in a MASH unit rather than on a football field. Why are we always looking at guys that have multiple injury. Doesn't anyone get through college without needing a trauma unit?

Why are we always looking at guys that have multiple injury.
I blame Charley Casserly. He would draft injured guys like Glenn Earl, Tony Hollings, and Milford Brown and tell us what a great move it was. Because they would never be available at that point if they were healthy. Value, ya see, it's about the value.

This was a mock exercise and stupidly early. Guess you missed that part. Did Texans run back to the draft or free agency when Watson tore his acl? How does he look now? Little is known of what transpired with his (Adams) back, that's something I'm not going to speculate on, although I'm sure information about will come out @ the Combine in three months. Good freaking grief! Far as your Casserly takes, none were premier positional players, one in fact, Hollings was changing positions, just sheer nonsense. Positions I pay special attention to are in order, Franchise QB followed by his blindside protector, Pass rusher and shutdown corner.

I’ve heard multiple reports say that he wants to return to school. It also might be the best option to help get back to his top game.

This was a mock exercise and stupidly early. Guess you missed that part. Did Texans run back to the draft or free agency when Watson tore his acl? How does he look now? Little is known of what transpired with his (Adams) back, that's something I'm not going to speculate on, although I'm sure information about will come out @ the Combine in three months. Good freaking grief! Far as your Casserly takes, none were premier positional players, one in fact, Hollings was changing positions, just sheer nonsense. Positions I pay special attention to are in order, Franchise QB followed by his blindside protector, Pass rusher and shutdown corner.

If I was Adams and I've already had back surgery I'm coming out and getting paid. Never know when that back will go out again.

Ok, I went on both NFL Draft simulators, First Pick & Fanspeak. First Pick will allow trades and Fanspeak doesn't. I made a reasonable trade (Arizona) as I have spoken about regarding the Texans trading back as long as the (my) targets were still in play. Here are the results for both drafts:

First Pick
Your score is: 22504 (GRADE: C)

Your Picks:

Round 2 Pick 2 (ARI): Risner, Dalton, C, Kansas State (B+) **I could've flipped this pick with Mullen and still get the same results**

Round 2 Pick 19: Mullen, Trayvon, CB, Clemson (A-)
**Mullen could be gone in RD1**

Round 2 Pick 27: Hyatt, Mitch, OT, Clemson (B+)

Round 3 Pick 2 (ARI): Ridley, Riley, WR, Georgia (B+)

Round 3 Pick 26: Winovich, Chase, DE, Michigan (A+)

Round 5 Pick 27: Johnson, Isaiah, CB, Houston (A)

Round 6 Pick 26: Kaufusi, Corbin, DE, Brigham Young (A+)

Round 7 Pick 27: Johnson, Chris, FS, North Alabama (A)

Fanspeak
28: R1P28

OC DALTON RISNER / KANSAS STATE

52: R2P20

CB KENDALL SHEFFIELD / OHIO STATE

60: R2P28

OT MITCH HYATT / CLEMSON

91: R3P27

WR RILEY RIDLEY / GEORGIA

167: R5P28

EDGE CORBIN KAUFUSI / BYU

202: R6P27

CB ISAIAH JOHNSON / HOUSTON

221: R7P5

FS CHRIS JOHNSON / NORTH ALABAMA

**I lost Chase Winovich, Michigan without the trade**

Overall, I liked the results.

Just out of curiosity where did Trey Adams go in both simulators?

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to follow the simulated picks. I had my board, and was trying to make sure I got my players of interest. I cross referencing the possibility of getting the same players on both simulators. I got pretty close.

Ok, I went on both NFL Draft simulators, First Pick & Fanspeak. First Pick will allow trades and Fanspeak doesn't. I made a reasonable trade (Arizona) as I have spoken about regarding the Texans trading back as long as the (my) targets were still in play. Here are the results for both drafts:

First Pick
Your score is: 22504 (GRADE: C)

Your Picks:

Round 2 Pick 2 (ARI): Risner, Dalton, C, Kansas State (B+) **I could've flipped this pick with Mullen and still get the same results**

Round 2 Pick 19: Mullen, Trayvon, CB, Clemson (A-)
**Mullen could be gone in RD1**

Round 3 Pick 2 (ARI): Ridley, Riley, WR, Georgia (B+)

Round 3 Pick 26: Winovich, Chase, DE, Michigan (A+)

Round 5 Pick 27: Johnson, Isaiah, CB, Houston (A)

Round 6 Pick 26: Kaufusi, Corbin, DE, Brigham Young (A+)

Round 7 Pick 27: Johnson, Chris, FS, North Alabama (A)

Fanspeak
28: R1P28

OC DALTON RISNER / KANSAS STATE

52: R2P20

CB KENDALL SHEFFIELD / OHIO STATE

60: R2P28

OT MITCH HYATT / CLEMSON

91: R3P27

WR RILEY RIDLEY / GEORGIA

167: R5P28

EDGE CORBIN KAUFUSI / BYU

202: R6P27

CB ISAIAH JOHNSON / HOUSTON

221: R7P5

FS CHRIS JOHNSON / NORTH ALABAMA

**I lost Chase Winovich, Michigan without the trade**

Overall, I liked the results.

On fanspeak which board and whose team needs did you use?

2019 does not appear to be a good year for filling a need at LT. I don't see anyone being available at #28 for the left side that's worth a 1st round pick. I'm hoping things change with the Bowl games, postseason workouts, and Combine etc... This does seem to be a very good draft to fix any defensive needs we might have and to add depth.

Williams and Little are probably gone by the time we pick (maybe we can plant some weed on one of them to drop to us), and Adams probably goes back to school. Edwards is more of a RT in the NFL and everyone else is a reach.

Here's my picks from First-Pick.com:

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 27: Murphy, Byron, CB, Washington (A-)
Round 2 Pick 25: Benzschawel, Beau, OG, Wisconsin (A)
Round 3 Pick 26: Okwuegbunam, Albert, TE, Missouri (A+)
Round 5 Pick 27: Moss, Zack, RB, Utah (A+)
Round 6 Pick 26: Sagapolu, Olive, DT, Wisconsin (A+)
Round 7 Pick 27: Johnson Jr, Lonnie, CB, Kentucky (A+)

On fanspeak which board and whose team needs did you use?

I used the most updated which I believe was Fanspeak and I used the Texans. I never follow the needs listed since I don't agree with all of them, this is probably why I always wind up with a score of 22K to 27K. I believe this time around its been OT, OG, CB, SS, EDGE, DL.

My latest from First-Pick.com, I took a couple trade down offers thus the extra picks:

Your score is: 28405 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 2 (OAK): Murphy, Byron, CB, Washington (A)
Round 2 Pick 25: Okwuegbunam, Albert, TE, Missouri (A)
Round 2 Pick 27: Prince, Isaiah, OT, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 2 (OAK): Gardner-Johnson, Chauncey, FS/SS, Florida (A)
Round 3 Pick 5 (N.E.): Risner, Dalton, C, Kansas State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26: Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)
Round 4 Pick 10 (G.B.): Jenkins, Elgton, C, Mississippi State (A)
Round 5 Pick 10 (G.B.): Sagapolu, Olive, DT, Wisconsin (A+)
Round 5 Pick 27: Hollins, Justin, OLB, Oregon (A+)
Round 6 Pick 26: Renfrow, Hunter, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 7 Pick 27: Mone, Bryan, DT, Michigan (A+)

Nothing is set in stone, once deadline passes January 14th I believe, then it will be. Rose Bowl pits Huskies vs Buckeyes. Match-up against possible #1 overall DE prospect Nick Bosa worth price of admission, but Bosa is afraid, afraid of injury pre-draft. Lol, had to edit because of Nick Bosa decision to walkaway from his team and not play in their bowl game to protect his future, thought that is why you take out insurance policy? Anyway, Trey is gonna give it a go, coming off injury, that says a lot about his priorities and applaud him for coming back to College, for his team, despite HIS future draft aspirations.

Last edited:
Lol, had to edit because of Nick Bosa decision to walkaway from his team and not play in their bowl game to protect his future...
It's not just Bosa, but a lot of prospects. Unless you are in the playoffs, the bowl games are meaningless. No reason to risk injury.

Then don't fake any school spirit or pride while in school or ever more. It's one game and they made a commitment.
I don't believe the schools are that concerned, to be honest. They get paid the same for playing in the bowl game, win or lose. They would prefer to see the player drafted high, because it helps recruiting. The NFL has plenty of tape on the players, and are more concerned at this point with medical examinations, athletic testing, and interviews. It's pretty much a non-issue, now. Except for fans who want to see their team win what amounts to an exhibition game.

It's pretty much a non-issue, now. Except for fans who want to see their team win what amounts to an exhibition game.

Haven't they always been an exhibition game? An exhibition of teams going up against possibly their best competition of the season. It becomes a meaningless exhibition if the best players drop out.

One of the best football games I've ever attended was the 1986 Cotton Bowl with A&M against Bo Jackson led Auburn. May have been only an exhibition, but it was a damn good one.

One of the best football games I've ever attended was the 1986 Cotton Bowl with A&M against Bo Jackson led Auburn. May have been only an exhibition, but it was a damn good one.
That was a pre-playoff game, when writers and coaches voted to determine the "national champion". When the SWC champion was always going to be in the Cotton Bowl. Now, we have a playoff system. And 3 games determine the champion. Should there be more teams, and therefore more games, included? Maybe. And if more teams had a shot at the championship, fewer players would opt out. Until then, this is what we have. Player X may not play in the San Diego Credit Union Holiday Bowl this year. Doesn't mean it can't be a great game.

I used the most updated which I believe was Fanspeak and I used the Texans. I never follow the needs listed since I don't agree with all of them, this is probably why I always wind up with a score of 22K to 27K. I believe this time around its been OT, OG, CB, SS, EDGE, DL.

Opto, I like your order, but, are you sure about going with only one tackle ?

Opto, I like your order, but, are you sure about going with only one tackle ?

Yeah, I adjust this train of thought in another topic....I think it was "2019 Needs" or something like that. In that post I played with the following ideas:

1. Trade back in RD1 to later RD1 and pick up an additional RD3 in the process. 1 xtra pick.

2. Tag Clowney and trade him. He should bring in a solid RD2 and RD3 or RD4. 2 xtra picks.

3. Trade William Fuller III. Because of his injury history and because of his speed and production when healthy, I'd be more than happy if he returned an early RD4. 1 xtra pick.

4. Some folks started bringing up Mercilus as being replaceable. After looking at how he's essentially disappeared this season, I think it could be just as easy to replace his production but at a lot less money. Trade Mercilus for a RD3 pick. 1 xtra pick.

The crazy thing, in this process the Texans wouldn't be much different than their current identity if Clowney, Fuller and Mercilus were not on the roster. But, if those 3 trades yielded a return of 4 xtra picks, while the trade back yielded an xtra pick......hell, that's 5 xtra picks.

Texans Original Picks:
RD1 / RD2 / RD2 / RD3

Add Trades:
RD1 / RD2 / RD2 / RD2 / RD3 / RD3 / RD3 / RD4 / RD4

That would be 9 players in the first 4 rounds. With a deep draft for defensive personnel.....Texans get answers for the offense and still have plenty in the tank to take care of multiple needs on defense.

Last edited:
Yeah, I adjust this train of thought in another topic....I think it was "2019 Needs" or something like that. In that post I played with the following ideas:

1. Trade back in RD1 to later RD1 and pick up an additional RD3 in the process. 1 xtra pick.

2. Tag Clowney and trade him. He should bring in a solid RD2 and RD3 or RD4. 2 xtra picks.

3. Trade William Fuller III. Because of his injury history and because of his speed and production when healthy, I'd be more than happy if he returned an early RD4. 1 xtra pick.

4. Some folks started bringing up Mercilus as being replaceable. After looking at how he's essentially disappeared this season, I think it could be just as easy to replace his production but at a lot less money. Trade Mercilus for a RD3 pick. 1 xtra pick.

The crazy thing, in this process the Texans wouldn't be much different than their current identity if Clowney, Fuller and Mercilus are not on the roster. But, if those 3 trades yielded a return of 4 xtra picks, while the trade back yielded an additional xtra pick......hell, that's 5 xtra picks.

Texans Original Picks:
RD1 / RD2 / RD2 / RD3

Add Trades:
RD1 / RD2 / RD2 / RD2 / RD3 / RD3 / RD3 / RD4 / RD4

That would be 9 players in the first 4 rounds. With a deep draft for defensive personnel.....Texans get answers for the offense and still have plenty in the tank to take care of multiple needs on defense.

Good points, all ! Solid reasoning .... but .... do you see one of our current tackles remaining a starter next season ?

Good points, all ! Solid reasoning .... but .... do you see one of our current tackles remaining a starter next season ?

In my Mock, I'd have Dillard and Scharping to compete at the OT position. Davenport would be competing for a roster spot in my book. Lamm should be the starting RT at the start of next season. I feel very strongly that Mancz should be the RG since they've clicked pretty well when given time to take the field together. I think a full off-season with both players knowing they'd be the starters next season could really help to build consistency.

I also think Dillard could start from Day1. Henderson will be there to compete with Lamm for the RT spot.

Henderson is only signed for 2018 and will be a FA after the season.

I understand this and figure Henderson could be signed to veterans minimum deal which wouldn't be a big deal. I'd like him back since he has working knowledge of the offense and position.

I understand this and figure Henderson could be signed to veterans minimum deal which wouldn't be a big deal. I'd like him back since he has working knowledge of the offense and position.
Sure, if Henderson's ankle checks out, and he payed attention in the meeting room, I could see him coming back. He will only be 27 next year.

I am not sure I would want as many rookies as some others at this point. We only have a few seasons left before Deshaun's rookie deal expires and we have to pay him market value. I'd ideally like to use our salary cap now to address a starting LT (Donovan Smith or Trent Brown) and a corner (Darqueze Dennard or EJ Gaines) along with our own free agents. In the draft I would address our remaining issues in this way:

Round 1 Pick 27: OT David Edwards or Yodny Cajuste - I think there is a chance that Edwards makes it to our pick since he is seen as a RT only prospect. I think Williams, Little, Cajuste, and maybe Jawaan Taylor could go before Edwards pushing him down to us. I'm thinking a training camp with Watt whipping him into shape would make him ready to go as the starting RT from game 1. If Edwards is gone, Cajuste, injuries permitting, is likely available and an improvement to our oline.
Round 2 Pick 25: CB Trayvon Mullen or Michael Jackson - Mullen is a prospect I would consider with our first pick and I doubt he slips this far. Jackson is a good consolation prize if Mullen is gone. Long, athletic and unafraid of making a tackle, Jackson would be a nice fit with one of the free agents named above in our secondary with Colvin, Joseph and our trio of safeties.
Round 2 Pick 27: OLB Jalen Jelks or Oshane Ximines - JD or Mercilus is likely not too long for the Texans before salary considerations make moving on the smart move. Here, along with Ejiofor, is their replacements.
Round 3 Pick 26: WR Collin Johnson or Hakeem Butler - Either would be a hell of a red zone weapon for us to add to the mix. Either guy gives a weapon opposite Nuk if we do not bring DT back.
Round 5 Pick 27: WR/KR/PR Andy Isabella or Ryan Davis - No more shall we see Joe Webb at WR. Isabella would be amazing in our offense though he will likely be gone by this point. Davis isn't as dangerous but serves the same purpose.
Round 6 Pick 26: RB Tavien Feaster or Jacques Patrick - either back could replace Blue as our power runner.
Round 7 Pick 27: BPA - 6th and 7th rounds is where I would build special teams by selecting the best height, weight, speed guys left.

I'm very interested to see Isabella at the Senior Bowl and combine. He's had 14 100 yard games in his 3 years, including a 200 yard game against Georgia last month. Supposedly will test really well. Reminds me some of Steve Smith.

I'm very interested to see Isabella at the Senior Bowl and combine. He's had 14 100 yard games in his 3 years, including a 200 yard game against Georgia last month. Supposedly will test really well. Reminds me some of Steve Smith.
I hate to say it (and we will hear it incessantly) but I see Welker. The Senior Bowl posted something on twitter showing that Isabella beat Denzel Ward in the 100 in high school and Ward ran 4.32 at the combine last year.

I hate to say it (and we will hear it incessantly) but I see Welker. The Senior Bowl posted something on twitter showing that Isabella beat Denzel Ward in the 100 in high school and Ward ran 4.32 at the combine last year.

Not quite sure how those sentences fit together. Welker was a 4.65 40 guy. Twitch not burn.

The first sentence was in reference to Lucky's comparison to Steve Smith. The second was in reference to his statement that Isabella might test well. I agree that Isabella is a better athlete than Welker. I just see the similarity in their college production and I am acknowledging that the "experts" are going to make the comparison since they are both white guys who play WR.

I just see the similarity in their college production and I am acknowledging that the "experts" are going to make the comparison since they are both white guys who play WR.
what happened to the that's racist smilies?

Mee too,

I know he can play in the slot (Cooper Kupp only better) and maybe be able to play outside. I cant wait for the Sr. Bowl perfect time to get solid opinions on alot of guys.

Got to put it somewhere .

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 27: Edwards, David, OT, Wisconsin (A-)
Round 2 Pick 25: Mullen, Trayvon, CB, Clemson (A-)
Round 2 Pick 27: Burns, Brian, DE, Florida State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26: Anderson, Rodney, RB, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 5 Pick 27: Robinson, Rashad, CB, James Madison (A+)
Round 6 Pick 26: Rypien, Brett, QB, Boise State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 27: Copeland, Marquise, DT, Cincinnati (A+)
Now you can tell Mom & Dad you finally got straight A's.

Back