Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Calen Bullock

People are overreacting with the Pitre tackling stuff. For 1, This guy was a breakout stud and had over 100 tackles as a safety in his rookie year..which was tops amongst safeties let alone rookies. 2, He like the rest of the defense were all learning a new scheme…3, He got a bruised lung 1st game of the season last year..missed the jags game and came back for our 3rd game. I personally don’t think he was really quite right health wise until the latter part of the season when the secondary and defense as a whole turned the corner and started playing better.

He’s gonna be fine and I expect a return to form from him this year with the addition of Bullock. he’ll now be free to play his game & play it faster vs all the moving around, role-changing and learning he had to do last year.
Those rookie tackles were misleading. I didn't think he played well, buy chalked it up to rookie. He missed alot of tackles, alot. He was in position and would drop his head before contact or throw his body like Kevin Johnson. Either way, it didn't work. We've seen small guys be good tacklers.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Agree with Lee. A lot of tackles for a safety isn’t necessarily indicative of a great player. I thought he showed good potential, and certainly made some plays in 22. I’m not dogging his rookie season - it was a pretty good rookie year, but he wasn’t Hamilton in Baltimore.

Then last year, he sucked donkey balls, I was shocked when Nick said he wanted 52 more Pitre’s. Really? This guy was terrible last year. He missed making plays time after time…missed tackles time after time. Out of position, bit on every fake in the book, etc. I’m not PFF, but just anecdotally, he had to be in the bottom 20% of starting safeties in the league.

He has a very very long ways to go to just get to average. His job should not be secure. If he doesn’t pick it up in a major way this year, I’m drafting his replacement next year or signing a FA vet.

Agree with Lee. A lot of tackles for a safety isn’t necessarily indicative of a great player. I thought he showed good potential, and certainly made some plays in 22. I’m not dogging his rookie season - it was a pretty good rookie year, but he wasn’t Hamilton in Baltimore.

Then last year, he sucked donkey balls, I was shocked when Nick said he wanted 52 more Pitre’s. Really? This guy was terrible last year. He missed making plays time after time…missed tackles time after time. Out of position, bit on every fake in the book, etc. I’m not PFF, but just anecdotally, he had to be in the bottom 20% of starting safeties in the league.

He has a very very long ways to go to just get to average. His job should not be secure. If he doesn’t pick it up in a major way this year, I’m drafting his replacement next year or signing a FA vet.

It’s not indicative of a good player, but it’s also not indicative of a bad player either. The defensive personnel hasn’t been great around him and he’s been 1 of the few playmakers on the defense. When that gets better, he’ll get & be better…& u saw that as the season progressed.

It’s not indicative of a good player, but it’s also not indicative of a bad player either. The defensive personnel hasn’t been great around him and he’s been 1 of the few playmakers on the defense. When that gets better, he’ll get & be better…& u saw that as the season progressed.
He was a disappointment last year.

The personnel around him wasn't bad last year. Hopefully he can get back to where he was last year. He needs to learn to play more under control.

He was a disappointment last year.

The personnel around him wasn't bad last year. Hopefully he can get back to where he was last year. He needs to learn to play more under control.

Secondary was 26th against the pass last year. He was a contributor to that, but Sting and Ward both collectively missing 6-8 games each…and having in their places guys like Shaq Griffin, MJ Stewart and Tavierre Thomas getting significant snaps…. And everyone’s favorite whipping boy in Steven Nelson being the #1…a guy whose currently not even with the team…none of that helped him either.

So yeah, the talent he played with for a large chunk of the season was bad. & it was only when you saw sting come back…Thomas get put on IR and King came in as a competent nickel…and Deandre Carson came in so as to stabilize the backside and play that rangey FS tole that HE needs to compliment him and his play….that we saw improvement.

He does to need to play a little more in control, but I’m fairly confident that he’ll be better next year if those guys around him stay healthy and we get some improvement from the rookies. He’s not a FS, he is and has always played like a SS.

Secondary was 26th against the pass last year. He was a contributor to that, but Sting and Ward both collectively missing 6-8 games each…and having in their places guys like Shaq Griffin, MJ Stewart and Tavierre Thomas getting significant snaps…. And everyone’s favorite whipping boy in Steven Nelson being the #1…a guy whose currently not even with the team…none of that helped him either.

So yeah, the talent he played with for a large chunk of the season was bad. & it was only when you saw sting come back…Thomas get put on IR and King came in as a competent nickel…and Deandre Carson came in so as to stabilize the backside and play that rangey FS tole that HE needs to compliment him and his play….that we saw improvement.

He does to need to play a little more in control, but I’m fairly confident that he’ll be better next year if those guys around him stay healthy and we get some improvement from the rookies. He’s not a FS, he is and has always played like a SS.
Agreed, it was surprising that the secondary played as well as it did last year considering all of the injuries. I thought it was a mistake to let Griffin go.

When they picked Lassiter and traded up for Bullock that tells us what they thought of the secondary and the S position was really bad last year. Particularly against the Colts and Ravens. Now there's an upgrade in talent and depth access the secondary. Now Ryans can run his defense the way he wants to run it.

Agreed, it was surprising that the secondary played as well as it did last year considering all of the injuries. I thought it was a mistake to let Griffin go.

When they picked Lassiter and traded up for Bullock that tells us what they thought of the secondary and the S position was really bad last year. Particularly against the Colts and Ravens. Now there's an upgrade in talent and depth access the secondary. Now Ryans can run his defense the way he wants to run it.
Jamal Hill was a Safety and only recently was tried as a LB. He's reportedly a sound tackler and can cover man to man. Any chance he'll be tried at Nickle and how effectively?

ummm you do know that the front hogs couldn’t get consistent pressure either right. And when you can’t do that, I don’t care who you have in the secondary, you will not stop the great passing attack from the likes of KC and several other teams we played last season. Not only that but our LB were terrible in coverage.
That’s why we addressed the D line and LB position in free agency. It wasn’t just the secondary like you mentioned. It was the entire defense.

Last edited:
ummm you do know that the front hogs couldn’t get consistent pressure either right. And when you can’t do that, I don’t care who you have in the secondary, you will not stop the great passing attack from the likes of KC and several other teams we played last season. Not only that but our LB were terrible in coverage.
That’s why we addressed the D line and LB position in free agency. It wasn’t just the secondary like you mentioned. It was the entire defense.
They addressed the pass rush/DT position in FA. They addressed the secondary in the draft. The LB position is weak and has no depth. A couple injuries there and Watt/Ryans both may be coming out off retirement.

Back