Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Shaun Rogers

I just saw on the bottomline on ESPN news that the Lions are looking to release/trade Shaun Rogers. I obviously don't think we're in a position to trade for him, but I think if we added him to our line through free agency (assuming he'd stay away from the juice and want to play) that we'd have a top 5 d-line. Plus, he's a hometown boy, LPHS! Any thoughts?

La Porte then UT

From CBSSportline forum:

December 12, 2007 5:28 pm
After watching Shaun Rogers performance in a huge late season big game with the Dallas Cowboys this past Sunday got me thinking about him. I have always been a huge fan of Rogers even during his college days as a Texas Longhorn. My problem with him has been stamina and dedication to staying in shape for an entire season as for many other Detroit Lions Fans.

Here we are in week 13 (6-6) going against the #1 team in the NFC (Cowboys) in our house leading in the 4th Qt and what is going with Rogers he's gasping for air. Coming in and out of the 4th Qt gasping for air and water looked like an out of shape man unable to keep up with a high pace offense that Tony Romo was running. This has to be a huge problem for the coaches, management and the fans. The Lions made Rogers a very high paid DT a short time ago and this is how he repays the Lions and it's fans? No excuse this is why the Lions paid Shaun all that money not just to be a first half stud and disappear as the season goes on. In his past five games dating back to the Arizona Cardinals game Rogers has a total of 7 tackles 3 of them are solos and zero tackels for losses. Impressive? Not even close! This is a huge reason why the Lions have lost 5 in a row. They are getting no support from their so called best player on the team. Against the Giants Rogers did not even register a tackle or pass break up.

I think it's time for Rod Marinelli and Matt Millen to sit down with Shaun Rogers and his agent and discuss what's next. Do they keep him or trade him away? Or do you begin to fine him over his weight and staying in shape? Time is running out on Shaun here in Detroit the guy has all the ability to be a regualr Pro Bowl DT if he would stay and shape and play with a hunger. When Rogers want's to play he is the most dominte DT in the NFL to bad it's only for only eight games a year. Looks like another talent going to waste but at least it's not the Lions fault this time this one is on the player.

I'd be ok with a LATE round pick on him. I wouldn't be all that happy in Detroit myself.IF he does get released I'm pretty sure there be a large amount of interest in him. Just get me is Grady Jackson was available last year and could've been had if we were interested in this type of DT he could've been a LARGE help in a playoff push.

I think it's been said before maybe we aren't interested in the space eating DT or maybe Smith really somewhere has a clue what we want to do defensively.

yes, it was La Porte Highschool, that's where I went. His little brother was on the basketball team and he came in there, BIG DUDE. Anyways, yeah, I'm obviously not up to giving up anything considerable for him, but should he be released, I could picture him wanting to "come home", or maybe that's wishful thinking. But just imagine teaming him with Mario and Amobi!

yes, it was La Porte Highschool, that's where I went. His little brother was on the basketball team and he came in there, BIG DUDE. Anyways, yeah, I'm obviously not up to giving up anything considerable for him, but should he be released, I could picture him wanting to "come home", or maybe that's wishful thinking. But just imagine teaming him with Mario and Amobi!

What class are you? I would have been 87. I went there until we moved to New York. I spent all of gradeschool (LPE) and most of junior high (Baker) there. My Grandmother is class of 39, my mom is class of 61?, my sister is class of 81.

I still keep up with a few friends I went to school with there.

I would have no problem giving up a 6th Round pick for him but his current contract is big $$. It may be smarter to not give up anything, wait for him to be released, and then structure a pay-for-play deal similar to what Jerry Jones did for Owens. If he makes the team and plays well, he makes top dollar. Everybody happy. If he can't make the team or isn't playing well, he is released with little risk to the Texans.

Look at Moss. People said he was done and he had nothing left in the tank, but it was just that he was languishing in Oakland and once he went somewhere where he was happy, he blew up.

I dunno, next year will be his 8th season and he is not always in the best shape. Plus, TJ actually stepped up his game this year, though he has only 1 sack throughout his career.

If he becomes available we should at least take a look at him. I'd like to see Jethro get a hold of him.

Rogers in now a Bengal

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Michael Smith of ESPN.com is reporting that the Detroit Lions have traded defensive tackle Shaun Rogers to the Cincinnati Bengals.

No word is out yet on what the Lions got for Rogers, who had been on the trade block for several weeks and had been rumored to be heading to the Jaguars, Jets and Broncos, among other teams.

For the Bengals, acquiring Rogers gives them just the kind of big defensive tackle head coach Marvin Lewis has always employed in his defense. The 340-pound Rogers is in the mold of Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa, the huge defensive tackles who played for the Super Bowl-winning Ravens team on which Lewis served as defensive coordinator.

Looks like he went for a 3rd and 5th. Per KFFL:

Lions | Team trades Rogers for two draft picks
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:20:02 -0800

WTVD in Raleigh-Durham, N.C., reports the Detroit Lions traded DL Shaun Rogers to the Cincinnati Bengals for a third-round and a fifth-round draft pick Friday, Feb. 29.

Rogers now a Brown.

ROGERS TO BROWNS A DONE DEAL

According to Hondo Carpenter of SpartanNation.com, who as we understand it is very well plugged in as to the goings on in Motown, the Lions have finalized a trade of defensive tackle Shaun Rogers to the Browns.

In return, the Lions reportedly will get cornerback Leigh Bodden and a third-round draft choice.

Carpenter says that the league office rejected a trade that would have sent Rogers to the Bengals for a third-round and a fifth-round pick.

per:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

So, the Browns have traded their 2nd round pick to GB for DT Corey Williams and their 3rd and Bodden DT Shaun Rogers. Doesn't look like they'll need to do much draft scouting, considering they also gave up this year's 1st to pick Brady Quinn last year. Although if these two live up to their billing that would be a pretty formidable line.

Back