Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Draft Talk

is Pittsburgh interested in wilson?

Most teams should be interested. And he is the type of player who teams will want to see in person because of his medical history. They want their team doctors to sign off on the player.

Here are five trades the Texans could explore:

Trade 1 with Philadelphia Eagles
Texans receive
: No. 50, No. 53, No. 172

Eagles receive: No. 42 and No. 59

Analysis: This isn’t as sexy as moving up. But given the Texans’ needs and where some of their potential targets are valued, it makes sense to trade back and get better value. In this scenario, the Texans move back eight spots with their first second-round pick and move up six spots for their second one. They then get an extra sixth-round pick that they can use to make other trades.

Of course, the Eagles would have to have their eye set on a particular player, but keep in mind Caserio has a history of making trades with Philadelphia GM Howie Roseman. Last year, the two made three draft-day trades.

Trade 2 with the Pittsburgh Steelers
Texans receive
: No. 51, No. 84, No. 98, No. 195

Steelers receive: No. 42, No. 86, No. 127

Analysis: Here the Texans move down nine spots in the second round, move up two spots in the third, and exchange a fourth-round pick for the Steelers’ late third-round pick, moving up 30 spots.

This deal gets them better value at No. 51 for one of the remaining defensive tackles or cornerbacks while also allowing them to acquire an extra player/potential starter in the third round.

Remember, Caserio has a history of hitting on third-round picks. Jonathan Greenard (2020), Nico Collins (2021), Harris (2022), and Dell (2023) were all third-rounders.

Trade 3 with Los Angeles Rams
Texans receive
: No. 52, No. 83, No. 99, No. 155

Rams receive: No. 42, No. 86

Analysis: In this scenario, the Texans move down 10 spots in the second round, move up three spots in the third, and pick up an extra late third-round pick and a fifth-round pick.

Again, the Rams would really have to have their eyes set on a player who fell in the draft, and the Texans would have to be OK moving back that far.
It’s a fair trade, according to the Jimmy Johnson chart, but a lot of compensation for the Rams to give up.

This trade would leave the Texans with two second-round picks, two third-round picks, those two fourth-round picks, a fifth-rounder and two seventh-round picks.

Caserio made two draft-day trades with Rams general manager Les Snead last year. So the relationship is there.

Trade 4 with Washington Commanders
Texans receive
: No. 40 and No. 152

Commanders receive: No. 42 and No. 123

Analysis: The Commanders have seemed intent this offseason on finding their franchise quarterback and adding draft capital. This trade could make sense for Washington, since it means moving back only two spots before moving up 29 spots from the fifth to the fourth round.

The Texans would do this only if they felt Green Bay at No. 41 was going to go after one of the players they target.

Trade 5 with Arizona Cardinals
Texans receive
: No. 27

Cardinals receive: No. 42 and No. 86, No. 127

Analysis: No one can forget last year's phone call between Cardinals general manager Monti Ossenfort and Caserio, which landed the Texans the No. 3 pick and allowed them to draft Anderson.

Ossenfort and Caserio have a history, having worked together in New England for 14 years.

The Texans made a somewhat similar trade two years ago when they moved up 24 spots from the third round to the second to get Metchie. Houston surrendered one third-round pick and two fourth-round picks to move up for that second-round pick.

This first-rounder is the pick the Texans traded in the Anderson deal last year.

The Texans should do this only if they have their eyes set on Illinois defensive tackle Jer’Zan Newton, who many believe to be the second-best defensive tackle in this draft.

I don't see a remote chance of anything like these happening. Trades 1, 2, 3 has the Texans picking up extra late round picks. Caserio will trade to move some late round picks, not acquire more. Some might make sense if the Texans are getting future picks back. Trade 4 is so hypothetical. Who is this mystery player both the Packers and Texans covet? Trade 5 may be the dumbest. The Texans lose 2 draft picks after already trading out of the 1st round. The Cardinals already have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, 11 picks overall.

It is always dicey when we get too specific about this trade will or will not happen. All of those proposal are silly to me at this point. The general idea that Caserio will move all around the board in both directions is accurate especially if we follow last year. And if you are going to buy, what Nick is selling in interviews, he has NOT ruled out trading up even back into the first round. Just because we wouldn't doesn't mean Nick won't.

Trades are player specific so there's no real point in hypothesizing about them until we know which players are available where and who covets whom

It is always dicey when we get too specific about this trade will or will not happen. All of those proposal are silly to me at this point. The general idea that Caserio will move all around the board in both directions is accurate especially if we follow last year. And if you are going to buy, what Nick is selling in interviews, he has NOT ruled out trading up even back into the first round. Just because we wouldn't doesn't mean Nick won't.
I would give up a future 1st and 2-59 for Newton and draft P. Wilson at 2-42.

Difference makers.

ere is the Chronicle’s final seven-round mock draft, starting with a trade:

Texans send pick No. 42 and No. 59 to the Eagles for picks No. 50, No. 53 and No. 161.

Second round (No. 50): CB T.J. Tampa, Iowa State

Analysis: I considered picking Ohio State defensive tackle Michael Hall Jr., who I heard the Texans are high on, at No. 50, but the Rams at No. 52 needed a cornerback, too, and I didn’t want to risk them picking him.

The Texans had an official visit with Tampa during the combine. At 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds, he has ideal size for a cornerback. He had two interceptions, seven pass breakups and 44 tackles during his senior season with the Cyclones.

Three of those tackles were for loss, so he can play in run support. And he fills a need opposite of Derek Stingley Jr.

Second round (No. 53): DT Michael Hall Jr., Ohio State

Analysis: There are two things I’ve heard: One, the Texans don’t want to leave the draft without getting a defensive tackle.

Two, they like Michael Hall Jr., the 6-2, 280-pound defensive tackle, who is a little undersized but hasn’t let that stop him from having success.

Both DeMeco Ryans and Nick Caserio love players who play for Power 5 programs.

You can see it in how they draft. They’ve never drafted a player that didn’t go to a Power 5 school. Hall fits that bill. He had 4½ sacks in 2022 and 1½ sacks last year and was third-team All-Big Ten. The hope would be that he could develop into a Day 1 starter. Defensive tackle is one of the Texans' few holes.

Trade: Texans send pick No. 86 and No. 161 to the Rams for No. 83 and a 2025 fifth-round pick.

Third round (No. 83): OT Roger Rosengarten, Washington

Analysis: Rosengarten played for the nation’s top offensive line last season, which also made it to the national championship game. He started all 15 games at right tackle and would be a good depth piece for the Texans, who are thin at the position.

The Texans hosted Rosengarten on a top-30 visit. At 6-5, 308 pounds, he ran a 4.92 in the 40-yard dash at the combine. He could also potentially play guard.

Fourth round (No. 123): TE Cade Stover, Ohio State
Fifth round (No. 127): RB Ray Davis, Kentucky
Sixth round (No. 188): OLB Jalyx Hunt, Houston Christian
Sixth round (No. 189): WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice
Seventh round (No. 238): QB Joe Milton, Tennessee
Seventh round (No. 247): LB Jamal Hill, Oregon

Analysis: Hill told the Chronicle he’s met with the Texans multiple times over Zoom. They told him they see him in the same mold as Christian Harris, who plays weakside linebacker.

https://theathletic.com/5438772/2024/04/24/nfl-beat-writer-mock-draft-trades-2024/

42. Houston Texans: Darius Robinson, DT, Missouri

Having addressed their need at wide receiver with the Stefon Diggs trade, the Texans look to fortify the interior of their defensive line with Robinson, who last season recorded 42 quarterback pressures, 43 tackles (14 for loss) and 8 1/2 sacks. — Mike Jones

https://theathletic.com/5440564/2024/04/24/nfl-draft-rumors-news-latest/

• The Texans aren’t on the clock until the second round, but I wouldn’t put it past Nick Caserio to trade into the first round Thursday night. I’m expecting Houston to at least try, just based on Caserio’s history. He traded eight times last year and seven times in 2022. We’ll see if he starts calling Thursday.

https://theathletic.com/5438772/2024/04/24/nfl-beat-writer-mock-draft-trades-2024/

Having addressed their need at wide receiver with the Stefon Diggs trade, the Texans look to fortify the interior of their defensive line with Robinson, who last season recorded 42 quarterback pressures, 43 tackles (14 for loss) and 8 1/2 sacks. — Mike Jones

• The Texans aren’t on the clock until the second round, but I wouldn’t put it past Nick Caserio to trade into the first round Thursday night. I’m expecting Houston to at least try, just based on Caserio’s history. He traded eight times last year and seven times in 2022. We’ll see if he starts calling Thursday.
Really like Robinson.
There are a bunch of guys available a #42 I really like - it makes it so difficult to choose.
Even a small move up opens up a bunch more.

There are several guys, who if they fall, I'd give up the 25 first rounder to trade up to get. Newton is on that list,

Robinson reminds me so much of Taco Charlton it's scary

If you look at this BB, picks from #35 - #60, there are only a handfull of guys you would confidently eliminate from Texans pov.
Makes it difficult, yet very interesting as to what the Texans do in this area.
I think this is the sweet spot in this draft for us.
I wouldn't be surprised if Texans move back up into this area for a third bite of the cherry.

Last edited:
Really like Robinson.
There are a bunch of guys available a #42 I really like - it makes it so difficult to choose.
Even a small move up opens up a bunch more.

Mathematically, a move up only opens up the number of slots (players) moved up.

I would rather take Brandon dorlus round 3 and not trade up losing pics.
25 tackles 6.5 for loss with 5 sacks but 9 passes defended!
One of the guys I hope Nick considers if he trades into round three.

View attachment 14053
@steelbtexan So you are saying there’s a chance…
I could argue either way. I can see the side that says that Nick will extend Stefon Diggs after he has another great season eliminating the need for another wide receiver in day two of draft. On the other hand, I could argue that Diggs could be extended or Collins but not the other one therefore requiring another wide receiver.
As good as I think Legette will be, hard not to grab him either way.
No apparent need for cap space & I can see using TC to decide if Metchie can replace Woods. One if not both could be gone. Hutchinson and Noah Brown should have solid seasons.
I am leaning towards no wide receiver in the draft day two.
I am also hoping that at the end of the season we are debating whether to give Noah Brown a significant extension.

I am not certain who they would trade with to get one of those quarterbacks as I think both JJ McCarthy and Bo Nicks will fall to Minnesota and Denver.

I could see Chicago thinking Odunze not falling to 9 trading up but then probably not to 3.

Pats will either keep and get their QB or reap a huge basket of goodies hoping they can succeed with what would be higher risk QB

Random question: Does anyone know how to get alerted (via cell) if the Texans trade up? I'll have a hard time watching the full first round tomorrow, but would hate to miss the pick if the Texans make a trade.

Last year there was a wild trade at #42 that involved the Jets, Browns, the Packers, Elijah Moore, Aaron Rodgers, seven 2023 draft picks in total, and a conditional 2024 pick (a first-round pick had Rodgers took 65% of the snaps in 2023, which he didn't). The Packers ended up selecting Luke Musgrave at #42. I don't expect that much activity this year at that slot. But you never know. #42 pick in 2022 involved the Commanders, Colts, and the Vikings, Carson Wentz, nine 2022 picks in total, and a conditional 2023 pick. The Vikings selected CB Andrew Booth

Last year there was a wild trade at #42 that involved the Jets, Browns, the Packers, Elijah Moore, Aaron Rodgers, seven 2023 draft picks in total, and a conditional 2024 pick (a first-round pick had Rodgers took 65% of the snaps in 2023, which he didn't). The Packers ended up selecting Luke Musgrave at #42. I don't expect that much activity this year at that slot. But you never know. #42 pick in 2022 involved the Commanders, Colts, and the Vikings, Carson Wentz, nine 2022 picks in total, and a conditional 2023 pick. The Vikings selected CB Andrew Booth
I think it was one of the numbers from LOST. So, there's that too!

Random question: Does anyone know how to get alerted (via cell) if the Texans trade up? I'll have a hard time watching the full first round tomorrow, but would hate to miss the pick if the Texans make a trade.
I will be working tomorrow night so I will likely miss the entire first round myself. I'm off Friday so I'm kind of hoping our picks will be happening then.

Drafttek, one of my favorite draft sites over the years has the Texans taking Fiske and CB Kamari Lassiter in the second round. I think both of those guys would be good fits for DR's defense.

I did a NFL draft simulator where I gave up our second round #42 pick this year and a top 4 round pick for 2025 and I moved up to the first round # 27 to draft iowa cb Cooper DeJean with our first pick. I really think the kid is going to be a difference maker. What do y'all think?!

I would be happy with those picks.
understand addressing need, but hopefully Texans go bpa instead. just being honest and realistic.

Brugler's final rankings: Bold in play, IMO

36. Kris Jenkins, DT

37. Keon Coleman, WR
38. Cooper Beebe, G/OC
39. Jaden Hicks, LB
40. Kingsley Suamataia, OT
41. Roman Wilson, WR
42. Junior Colson, LB
43. Mike Sainristill, CB
44. Bo Nix, QB
45. Rickly Pearsall, WR
46. Edgeerrin Cooper
47. Christian Haynes, OG
48. Jonathon Brooks, RB
49. Ennis Rakestraw, CB
50. Xavier Worthy, WR
51. Ruke Orhorhoro, DT
52. Michael Penix Jr., QB
54. Javon Bullard, S
54. Malachi Corley, WR
55. T.J. Tampa, CB
56. Dominick Puni, OG
57. Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE
58. Troy Franklin, WR
59. Patrick Paul, OT
60. Mike Hall Jr., DT
61. Andru Phillips, CB
62. Kamari Lassiter, CB
63. Max Melton, CB
64. Mason Smith, DT

I did a NFL draft simulator where I gave up our second round #42 pick this year and a top 4 round pick for 2025 and I moved up to the first round # 27 to draft iowa cb Cooper DeJean with our first pick. I really think the kid is going to be a difference maker. What do y'all think?!
They might move back into the first, but it just doesn't feel right.
The sweet spot is the second round where Nick and Demeco have already hinted.

understand addressing need, but hopefully Texans go bpa instead. just being honest and realistic.

Brugler's final rankings: Bold in play, IMO

36. Kris Jenkins, DT

37. Keon Coleman, WR
38. Cooper Beebe, G/OC
39. Jaden Hicks, LB
40. Kingsley Suamataia, OT
41. Roman Wilson, WR
42. Junior Colson, LB
43. Mike Sainristill, CB
44. Bo Nix, QB
45. Rickly Pearsall, WR
46. Edgeerrin Cooper
47. Christian Haynes, OG
48. Jonathon Brooks, RB
49. Ennis Rakestraw, CB
50. Xavier Worthy, WR
51. Ruke Orhorhoro, DT
52. Michael Penix Jr., QB
54. Javon Bullard, S
54. Malachi Corley, WR
55. T.J. Tampa, CB
56. Dominick Puni, OG
57. Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE
58. Troy Franklin, WR
59. Patrick Paul, OT
60. Mike Hall Jr., DT
61. Andru Phillips, CB
62. Kamari Lassiter, CB
63. Max Melton, CB
64. Mason Smith, DT
I thought Lassiter had a 2nd round value.

Yes, amongst many others, it’s difficult to separate them, that’s why included such a wide swath of players to choose from. Only pure, plug and play, immediate impact corner to me in this range is Mike Sainristil. Then rest are developmental with exception of Jonathan Brooks, but he’s coming off injury. Take Mike, address CB early then drill down on DT. Seth Payne described Jenkins, Hall, Orhorhoro and Fiske play styles, and just can’t get there (of course if Texans select one then I’m fine to see them fit). Now late in process, down to the wire I’m more interested in Maason Smith, LSU 6-5 306 only 21 years old. By comparison Fiske is already 25 w/short, short arm length 31”by comparison Masson has elite arm length 35”.

#62 would land in the 2nd Round.

I hate being the wet blanket guy. But, Lassiter is not a 2nd round talent. 4.64 speed (at his pro day). One career INT. There has only been 6 CBs since 2002 that ran 4.6+ in the 40 and went in the 2nd round. The last time was in 2019, when a team with a personnel director you know took Joejuan Williams (4.64 speed) with pick 2.45. Williams has started one game with zero career picks.

In fact, there has only been one success story for 4.6 CBs drafted in the 2nd round. Sort of. Jairus Byrd was taken by the Bills with pick 2.42 in the 2009 draft after running 4.68 in the 40 at the combine. Byrd went on to lead the league in INTs as a rookie and finished 2nd to Brian Cushing for DPOY. The catch is, the Bills converted Byrd to FS immediately after drafting him.

How about moving Lassiter to FS. He's a competitive guy. But he has shown no ball skills. I'm not saying Lassiter can't play in the NFL. Maybe in the right system in the right role. But he's not the kind of CB usually taken in the 2nd round.

By comparison Fiske is already 25 w/short, short arm length 31”
Those arms are short. No doubt. But there are comps of similar sized players who have overcome shorter arms and still found success. My comp from size and play style would be Geno Atkins, former Bengals DT.

Geno - 6'1"/ Fiske - 6'3"
Geno - 293 lbs/ Fiske - 292 lbs
Geno - 32" arms/ Fiske - 31" arms
Geno - 4.75 40/ Fiske - 4.78 40
Geno - 33" vert/ Fiske - 33" vert
Geno - 9'9" broad/ Fiske - 9'9" broad
Geno - 4.43 shuttle/ Fiske - 4.37 shuttle
Geno - 34 bench/ Fiske - 26 bench

Atkins went in the 4th round, Fiske was probably looking at the 4th round. Until he absolutely blew up the combine. Atkins played next to a Samoan monster in Domata Peko. Fiske would be best served playing next to a Peko type player. But both Atkins and Fiske win by constantly challenging the gaps, exploding on counters, and non-stop motors. There have been other DTs that excelled at this size. John Randle and Dana Stubblefield, for instance. But I think Atkins is the best comp for Fiske.

Those arms are short. No doubt. But there are comps of similar sized players who have overcome shorter arms and still found success. My comp from size and play style would be Geno Atkins, former Bengals DT.

Geno - 6'1"/ Fiske - 6'3"
Geno - 293 lbs/ Fiske - 292 lbs
Geno - 32" arms/ Fiske - 31" arms
Geno - 4.75 40/ Fiske - 4.78 40
Geno - 33" vert/ Fiske - 33" vert
Geno - 9'9" broad/ Fiske - 9'9" broad
Geno - 4.43 shuttle/ Fiske - 4.37 shuttle
Geno - 34 bench/ Fiske - 26 bench

Atkins went in the 4th round, Fiske was probably looking at the 4th round. Until he absolutely blew up the combine. Atkins played next to a Samoan monster in Domata Peko. Fiske would be best served playing next to a Peko type player. But both Atkins and Fiske win by constantly challenging the gaps, exploding on counters, and non-stop motors. There have been other DTs that excelled at this size. John Randle and Dana Stubblefield, for instance. But I think Atkins is the best comp for Fiske.
So are you suggesting Fiske & Sweat 😎

Like your comp, except Atkins core strength, lower center of gravity helped him win with leverage where Fiske will struggle.

I would suggest you just have this message board open on your phone and check it when you can. The news will be here almost instantaneously after it is announced.

#62 would land in the 2nd Round.

I hate being the wet blanket guy. But, Lassiter is not a 2nd round talent. 4.64 speed (at his pro day). One career INT. There has only been 6 CBs since 2002 that ran 4.6+ in the 40 and went in the 2nd round. The last time was in 2019, when a team with a personnel director you know took Joejuan Williams (4.64 speed) with pick 2.45. Williams has started one game with zero career picks.

In fact, there has only been one success story for 4.6 CBs drafted in the 2nd round. Sort of. Jairus Byrd was taken by the Bills with pick 2.42 in the 2009 draft after running 4.68 in the 40 at the combine. Byrd went on to lead the league in INTs as a rookie and finished 2nd to Brian Cushing for DPOY. The catch is, the Bills converted Byrd to FS immediately after drafting him.

How about moving Lassiter to FS. He's a competitive guy. But he has shown no ball skills. I'm not saying Lassiter can't play in the NFL. Maybe in the right system in the right role. But he's not the kind of CB usually taken in the 2nd round.
I am not a Lassiter guy at any position. If Ryan's thinks that Mike Sainristil can play outside, he would be my guy but I think we could get him at 59.

Back