Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Free Agency

They certainly could. However, I don't think they Nick works that way, and I don't think that is the plan. It seems clear to me that he and Demeco agreed on a plan that that involved building up the front 7 in free agency, with a specific plan for the draft (I believe they decided to come out of the draft with a dynamic receiving threat to add to last season's group). So, I would be shocked if they stuck at 23 and grabbed someone and stuck at 59 and grabbed someone. I think we will see movement at both spots, frankly, to go and get the guys they have identified.

Yeah, it seems like these guys are "get the guys we want" guys. And I love that, tbh.

I certainly only want to pay attention to those who have been right every time. Please tell me who those are so I can stop wasting my time with the rest of them. Thanks.

I mean i see your point.........but lets be real, its not a big deal that he missed...they all do...its just most of the time those misses are usually in the other direction..A guy who is projected to be a stud & as it turns out, he stinks. Its a bit rarer to miss the other way...a guy whose projected to be good & you as a supposed draft guru project that he's just gonna be a JAG..Then he comes in and lights it up like everyone else thought he would...You lose far more cred in that instance if you say that about a prospect at the top of the draft and he turns out to be a stud.

Now, I didn't hear or read anything about CJ from LZ during the draft, i'm only going on what Banned1976 says.....but if he did say that about CJ....Well, his draft takes should go in the bushes along with John McClain's "insider" info from here on out.

The same way they gave up 0 sacks with backups vs the vaunted Steelers defense. When you have an elite qb/processor he will manage the oline unless they're straight turnstiles. Do you know who plays right tackle for KC or even LT? They can and have a highly paid RT on the mend.
Unlike Texans, I don't keep up with other teams oline. Nor do i care.

As if Armstead is a pass rusher
He gets pressure on the QB. This should set things up well for WA/Hunter. I think unless Armstead is willing to come to Kirby at Caserio's price he wont be a Texan.

I bet they bring in a guy like Settle and draft a guy like D. Robinson in the 1st or Dorlus in the 2nd.

If you think LZ is among the worst at reporting/predicting the draft...you don't follow enough people who report on the draft.
He did get the Stingley/Green picks right 2 yrs ago.

Last yr he heard that WA was going to be the pick at 1-2. He got that partially right, he was always Ryans pick and Caserio traded up to pick him at 1-3. So no he isn't terrible at this like you think he is.

Last yr he heard that WA was going to be the pick at 1-2. He got that partially right, he was always Ryans pick and Caserio traded up to pick him at 1-3. So no he isn't terrible at this like you think he is.

I like Lance, but it isn't because of his rate of correct predictions... Anyone that knows football, studies it seriously, and communicates their perspective clearly is someone I am interested in listening to. After all, I am too stubborn to simply follow what someone else says. I will be forming my own opinion and just want guys that can put the time in the research that i can not. He does that well, IMO

Love Mr. Reader, but isn't he injured? The pickings are getting thin on the interior dline.

They swung and missed on Rankins. They were only 1 million apart on a new deal.

They compounded that mistake by selling off Collins for a box of instant mashed potatoes. Unless you've got a deal or near deal in principle with Armstead, that deal makes zero sense. Mr. Collins is under contract through 25. And now we hear that although they are in on Armstead, he's visiting other teams, which means the offer isn't good enough. You don't make that deal with the 9ers without a compensatory move already lined up. In the absence of that - it's completely nonsensical.

They swung and (likely) missed on Armstead, so now they are trying to settle with Settle. Who isn't even as good as Collins, and most definitely not as good as Rankins. Maybe Aric is giving them another shot or two to up the ante. He's now got them bent over the proverbial barrel with his switch out.

Nick is now in reverse mode and is back to a free fall. He bailed himself out once with the Mixon trade, but removing your two interior starters for lower-level guys is going to come back to bite them in the ass if Nick doesn't pull another rabbit out of his hat and sign Armstead or make a trade for a good interior DL.

Love Mr. Reader, but isn't he injured? The pickings are getting thin on the interior dline.

They compounded that mistake by selling off Collins for a box of instant mashed potatoes. Unless you've got a deal or near deal in principle with Armstead, that deal makes zero sense. Mr. Collins is under contract through 25. And now we hear that although they are in on Armstead, he's visiting other teams, which means the offer isn't good enough. You don't make that deal with the 9ers without a compensatory move already lined up. In the absence of that - it's completely nonsensical.

They swung and (likely) missed on Armstead, so now they are trying to settle with Settle. Who isn't even as good as Collins, and most definitely not as good as Rankins. Maybe Aric is giving them another shot or two to up the ante. He's now got them bent over the proverbial barrel with his switch out.

Nick is now in reverse mode and is back to a free fall. He bailed himself out once with the Mixon trade, but removing your two interior starters for lower-level guys is going to come back to bite them in the ass if Nick doesn't pull another rabbit out of his hat and sign Armstead or make a trade for a good interior DL.
I'm not worried. If they have moved on from Armstead, it is because they have another plan... Maybe we seem them target CB/S or OT now in FA with a plan to address DT in the draft. I'm not sure, but we will know soon enough. This isn't Rick Smith- they aren't going to simply forget/decide not to address a position group because someone turned them down in FA.

Also, unlike times in the past, we aren't fighting to get FAs to want to be here... nor are we up against the cap in a way that would discourage them from doing more work pre-draft.

the point of free agency is to fill holes not create them. Not sure why M. Collins became unusable but the Texans are now starting Foley with Davis at DT (Autry is not best used as a run-down DT)

I'm starting to wonder if some of this is for salary cap considerations, both this year and next. I can't help but wonder if getting Nico extended early before the WR market starts to reset wouldn't be wise.

the point of free agency is to fill holes not create them. Not sure why M. Collins became unusable but the Texans are now starting Foley with Davis at DT (Autry is not best used as a run-down DT)

They clearly believe the team will be better without Collins. I am confident they plan to acquire more DTs.

I'm guessing that Armstead is asking for more than the Texans are willing, or capable of, paying. His previous contract for the 49ers was an average of about $17M per year. According to Overthecap, the Texans have an effective cap space of $17.6M. So we'll see, if he signs with the Jags, what he's signing for.

The loss of Collin’s is a big nothing burger for me. He had 2 years here to convince the org he was indispensable. He failed to do so I’m not tripping. The “hole” created by trading him can be easily filled imo with a draft pick or solid steady vet. Remember, there are still lots of roster cuts coming as well as the draft. & Between WAJ and the additions of Hunter and Shaair…..all of whom are good against the run, we should be ok.

Right, but the Texans will be in nickel over 60% of the snaps. Plenty of snaps for Autry and all of the other D-linemen.

True enough on the nickel. I am just recalling that the DL coach was the only one who was not retained that along with the Collins thing means Demeco/Nick did not like something going on there.

They certainly could. However, I don't think they Nick works that way, and I don't think that is the plan. It seems clear to me that he and Demeco agreed on a plan that that involved building up the front 7 in free agency, with a specific plan for the draft (I believe they decided to come out of the draft with a dynamic receiving threat to add to last season's group). So, I would be shocked if they stuck at 23 and grabbed someone and stuck at 59 and grabbed someone. I think we will see movement at both spots, frankly, to go and get the guys they have identified.
If we dont get another DT in FA after trading away Collins then a DT is def still in the cards at #23. It will be interesting to see how the rest plays out...do we get Armstead or not...it will be interesting and play a huge part on what we do moving forward.

The loss of Collin’s is a big nothing burger for me. He had 2 years here to convince the org he was indispensable. He failed to do so I’m not tripping. The “hole” created by trading him can be easily filled imo with a draft pick or solid steady vet. Remember, there are still lots of roster cuts coming as well as the draft. & Between WAJ and the additions of Hunter and Shaair…..all of whom are good against the run, we should be ok.
This is where Nick may sit back and wait and have all the nervous Nellies on Texans talk boards chewing their nails down to the quicks.

again regurgitating what other people say. His evaluations of players is seriously below sub par and if you follow enough people online you see that his thoughts are never his own.

It's like you guys can find an excuse for anything. Nick's done some damn fine work the last couple of days...but this was a miserable fail. We've gone backwards at DT - by a LOT.

Why can't you guys just admit it. There is no plan. The plan, such as it was...failed. There is no reasonable reason not to close the million-dollar gap/year to sign Rankins and then turn right around and dump Collins for a loaf of day-old bread. That is 100% non-sensical. And what happened to DeMeco telling us they had to get better upfront and they would be pouring resources into the line. They are dumping salary, not adding. They are worse inside by a lot...not better. And relying on a rookie, is absolute trash for a team that is positioning itself for a run. These are the moves also-rans make.

Now they will scramble and sign a JAG or worse...or a true journeyman and be forced to take a DT very high instead of building from strength and letting the draft come to them.

At the very least, they need to turn their attention to safety and make a major upgrade. Simmons would be an awesome consolation prize. But I don't get this series of moves at all. On the interior D-Line, Nick's grade is a flat F.

Ya, they could have come up with the 3/51 if they wanted to. Nick and his 1 and 2 year deals is killing this team. So much turnover, no stability.

Worst of all, they are letting guys get away that are then going to the Texans direct competition. And you all think it's a nothing burger? Crazy!

It's like you guys can find an excuse for anything. Nick's done some damn fine work the last couple of days...but this was a miserable fail. We've gone backwards at DT - by a LOT.

Why can't you guys just admit it. There is no plan. The plan, such as it was...failed. There is no reasonable reason not to close the million-dollar gap/year to sign Rankins and then turn right around and dump Collins for a loaf of day-old break. That is 100% non-sensical. And what happened to DeMeco telling us they had to get better upfront and they would be pouring resources into the line. They are dumping salary, not adding. They are worse inside by a lot...not better. And relying on a rookie, is absolute trash for a team that is positioning itself for a run. These are the moves also-rans make.

Now they will scramble and sign a JAG or worse...or a true journeyman and be forced to take a DT very high instead of building from strength and letting the draft come to them.

At the very least, they need to turn their attention to safety and make a major upgrade. Simmons would be an awesome consolation prize. But I don't get this series of moves at all. On the interior D-Line, Nick's grade is a flat F.
If we make it to the playoffs, the rookies will have up to 17 games under their belts.

LZ reported pre-draft last year that CJ would be an average NFL quarterback. I don't listen to him anymore.

Then you shouldn't listen to anybody because nobody gets it right all the time. The thing with LZ though is that he's not just regurgitating some blow hard opinion that he heard somebody else say. He actually watches the tape. And tape is all you can really go by. No one knows how college players will translate to the NFL game, whether they're going to commit to the mental work it takes to succeed in the league or not. Talent alone doesn't get you very far in the NFL. You've got do the mental part of it. That's why there are so many busts in the draft. You just don't know. No one does. But I'll take an educated opinion from someone who actually sits down and watches tape over some blowhard that hasn't got a clue and is just talking to be heard.

I’m still hoping for some type of breaking news from the Texans. I was positive we’d get something by 4-4:30pm but with Arik signing with the Jags, I’m afraid there won’t be any breaking news of note. I hope they shift their attention to Safety now or we’re about to get steam rolled in 2024!

I’m still hoping for some type of breaking news from the Texans. I was positive we’d get something by 4-4:30pm but with Arik signing with the Jags, I’m afraid there won’t be any breaking news of note. I hope they shift their attention to Safety now or we’re about to get steam rolled in 2024!

2 minutes early

Why can't you guys just admit it. There is no plan. The plan, such as it was...failed. There is no reasonable reason not to close the million-dollar gap/year to sign Rankins and then turn right around and dump Collins for a loaf of day-old bread. That is 100% non-sensical. And what happened to DeMeco telling us they had to get better upfront and they would be pouring resources into the line. They are dumping salary, not adding. They are worse inside by a lot...not better. And relying on a rookie, is absolute trash for a team that is positioning itself for a run. These are the moves also-rans make.

Did I miss where Collins and Rankins were all-Pros? They wouldn't even be all-conference or all-division. Let them walk for that money.

And as for the 2-year deals. When the average NFL career is 3 years, it makes all the sense in the world. I'd rather they sign guys to 2-year deals than even approach cap hell

Last edited:
I'll settle for Settle as depth, keeps us flexible for the draft. He's predominantly a 1 tech run stuffer, but looks like he's been trying to develop into a 3 technique. Maybe a change if coaching will provide the boost he needs, git the physical tools by the looks of things.

Back