Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ali4Real's Mock Draft 2009 v.2

A

Ali4Real

Hey guys, I'm back after watching a week of bowl games and grilling...here's my new mock draft with the reasons why the Texans should pick the players listed...

Round One - Taylor Mays, S

We need help in our secondary and we need a guy who can hit lights-out and disrupt the passing game. I believe with a bit of coaching, Mays will be NFL-ready if he isn't as of now. At 230-Lbs, he has the size of a OLB but he is fast and from one source he ran an unofficial 4.3 40-yard dash. Having him along with Bennett and Robinson in the backfield will improve our secondary and improbve our defense as a whole.

Round Two - Max Unger, C

I don't know if he will last this long but for now I'm putting him at second round level. Unger plays with a nasty streak and is powerfull at the point of attack. I personally like Myers (on our roster) but we need a big guy like Unger to start against the big boys like Haynesworth and Ngata.

Round Three - Matt Shaughnessy, DE

Has decent size for a DE. Finished his Badger career with 172 tackles, 41.5 tackles-for-losses, and 18.5 sacks. Can do very well across from Mario Williams with a bit of coaching and by hitting the weight room (he's listed @ 253-lbs which is rather light IMO)

Round Four - Rashad Jennings, RB

A 230-lb runningback from Liberty Univ. He can provide the "thunder" for Slaton's "lighting". Has the power, size, and speed need and ran a 4.50 40-yard dash.

Round Five - Tyrone McKenzie, OLB

At 235-lbs, he's another Adibi for the Texans but I like his athleticism and skills set. One of the most productive linebackers in college football and recorded 250 tackles over the last two seasons.

Round Six - Dominique Johnson, CB

6'2" 200-lb cornerback who previously played for Missouri and transfered to Jackson State. A project at best with great upside who has a chance to start or at least be productive on special teams.

Round Seven - Dorell Scott, DT

At 6'3" 320-lbs I feel he is a better prospect then my prvious choice in Samie Lee Hill since Scott played for Clemson, a D1 school. Can develop into a starter alongside Amobi Okoye but more of a project for Kubiak and the d-line staff. Great upside.

~ From Clemson Univ.: Second among active Tigers in career sacks (8)...#16 defensive tackle in the nation by Phil Steele...first-team preseason All-ACC by Athlon...third-strongest player on the team in terms of total weight lifted (1,650)...has the fourth-best bench press (425)...fifth in 225 reps (28) and third in the hang clean (370)...named most improved among defensive linemen by the coaches for the 2008 spring practice...has started 26 consecutive games in two years and played 35 of a possible 38 games overall; he missed the first three games of 2005...had 54 tackles in 13 games in 2006 and 50 tackles in 13 games in 2007...has played three bowl games...started in the 2006 Music City Bowl against Kentucky and had a career-high nine tackles and one sack.

I like the players selected but not the rounds chosen. I don't think Taylor Mays will fall to us, he get picked by Denver. Rashad Jennings will probably go in the 3rd round and Tyronne McKenzie will go in the 2nd or 3rd round. Dorrell Scott will also go earlier, probably the 4th or 5th round.

Back