Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2023 Draft thoughts thread.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Texans need help across their roster including WR.
This draft is once again seeded with excellent wideouts all with great skillsets.
Some are on the small side but it looks like the first 10 guys are all worth drafting along with others throughout the top 200 or so.
With that thought in mind, I would hold off on taking one in the first round.
Three of the top 5 on most boards are Dlinemen, so barring a trade (which the odds of happening are small), it is a great opportunity to take one with the first. I am leaning Anderson as I think he has the potential to be a future perennial pro-bowler. He continually rates as the best player in the draft.
With the second pick, if any of the top three QBs are there, you take one.
This draft also has depth along the Oline so waiting for round 2 or 3 gives Texans a chance to take the pick of the best remaining Wideouts with their 3rd pick.
Drafting this way will give Texans excellent potential for a home run on both sides of the ball and a shot at a possible franchise QB (with their first 3 picks ). A good haul I would think.
I'll open it up for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Found another mock draft machine.
You get plenty of trade offers in this one.
Looks like you can only share your draft on Twitter or Instagram or Google.
My first four picks with no trades:-
Bryce Young
Will Anderson
Jamyhr Gibbs
Andrew Vorhees.
Yep, got Young and Anderson.
Apparently, Anderson fell.

I wanted to put a test to a thought regarding the drafting of Hooker. I did use the PFN and will try to land similar results with the “99 Yards” Texansphan just mentioned.

MOCK:

Trade with the Lions. Lions get 001. Texans get 006, 021, 052, 061, and 2024 RD1.

Trade with the Patriots. Patriots get 100 and 210. Texans get 105 and 170.

006: WR- Quentin Johnston (TCU)
012: OT- Peter Skoronski (Northwestern)
021: DE- Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech)

032: QB- Hendon Hooker (Tennessee)
052: OC- John Michael-Schmitz (Minnesota)
061: WR- Jalin Hyatt (Tennessee)

064: SS- Brandon Joseph (Notre Dame)
073: LB- Jack Campbell (Iowa)

105: RG- Andrew Vorhees (USC)

132: OT- Cody Mauch (North Dakota State)

164: DL- Mike Morris (Michigan)
170: DB- Jaylon Carlies (Missouri)
175: RB- Roschon Johnson (Texas)
186: TE- Benjamin Yurosek (Stanford)
190: DL- Habakkuk Baldonado (Pittsburgh)
193: CB- Riley Moss (Iowa)

As those who know me know, I am bullish on the run game.
Texans currently have one good one in Pierce, but I would love to see another young bull brought in to give us a serious 1-2 punch out of the backfield.
This serves two purposes -
1) it gives us a punishing run game taking pressure off the QB
2) if either gets injured, you still have one available.
I have a list of guys I really like:-
Bijan Robinson R1 (pipe dream)Dual threat elite
Jamyhr Gibbs R2 Dt cf Alvin Kamara
Blake Corum R2-3 Dt cf MJD
Tank Bigsby R4 Dt
Devon Achane R2-3 Dt
Zach Carbonnet R3-4 Dt
Sean Tucker R6 Dt fast
Roshon Johnson R6
Keaton Mitchell R6 fast
Keandre Miller R6-free a.

These are in order of my personal preference - the round is where I think we can get them.

Last edited:
Texans currently have one good one in Pierce, but I would love to see another young bull brought in to give us a serious 1-2 punch out of the backfield.
Tank Bigsby R4 Dt
Devon Achane R2-3 Dt
Zach Carbonnet R3-4 Dt
Sean Tucker R6 Dt fast
Roshon Johnson R6
Keaton Mitchell R6 fast

These are in order of my personal preference - the round is where I think we can get them.
No Deuce Vaughn?

Reactions: JB
Tank Bigsby R4 Dt
Devon Achane R2-3 Dt
Zach Carbonnet R3-4 Dt
Sean Tucker R6 Dt fast
Roshon Johnson R6
Keaton Mitchell R6 fast

I'm really liking A chance at 2-32..

Thunder and lightning with Pierce. Plus I think you can use him some as a receiver too, if they pick Young I hope the Texans draft goes like this so that Young has threats to score anytime they touch the ball.

1. Young
1. Johnston
2. Achane
3. Stromberg
3. Best DL available.

Almost every draft seems like a pivotal one and this one is no exception.
This draft is especially important with two high firsts and a chance to get at least three quality prospects and of course with likely the first pick they get first bite of the cherry to upgrade the all important QB position.
Having two high picks is a bonus and makes it imperative we take a quality prospect QB.
Texans have a chance to get the best:-
QB (Bryce Young)
WR (Quentin Johnson)
C (Schmidt)
This would be an exciting proposition for our offense.
If we miss out on Johnson, we can take a quality DLineman.
There is a myriad of possibilities in this one because of those three picks in the top 33.

Almost every draft seems like a pivotal one and this one is no exception.
This draft is especially important with two high firsts and a chance to get at least three quality prospects and of course with likely the first pick they get first bite of the cherry to upgrade the all important QB position.
Having two high picks is a bonus and makes it imperative we take a quality prospect QB.
QB (Bryce Young)
WR (Quentin Johnson)
C (Schmidt)
There is a myriad of possibilities in this one because of those three picks in the top 33.

I'm hoping that if a QB has to be picked the draft goes like this.

Rd.1 Young
Rd.1 Johnston
Rd. 2 Mazi Smith
Rd. 3 best C/OG prospect

QB (Bryce Young)
WR (Quentin Johnson)
C (Schmidt)
The best TE (Michael Mayer) may be available with the Browns 1st round pick.

I’d be surprised if Hyatt is a day 1 starter.

I’d also be surprised if Smith was taken in the second. A hell of an athlete, and yeah, he wasn’t asked to be a huge producer, but you have to wonder why he couldn’t produce just a bit more despite his physical gifts. Plus there is the weapons charge.

Don’t get me wrong, Smith is definitely on my list. I just think a second- and burning assets to move into the second- is a bit much.

I would be down with this if Johnston is gone

Imagine a draft like this.

Young
Mayer
Hyatt
Trade up into the 2nd for Mazi Smith
Avila or Stromberg

That's 5 quality immediate starters.
Hyatt may be gone by #32, but Rashee Rice SMU or Kayson Boutte LSU should be there. All 3 can fly.

Reactions: JB
Hyatt may be gone by #32, but Rashee Rice SMU or Kayson Boutte LSU should be there. All 3 can fly.
All 3 would be good picks.

If Boute's head's screwed on straight, he's the best WR in this draft. IMHO

He and Kelly didn't ever see eye to eye, even though I read a positive article about them

I’d be surprised if Hyatt is a day 1 starter.

I’d also be surprised if Smith was taken in the second. A hell of an athlete, and yeah, he wasn’t asked to be a huge producer, but you have to wonder why he couldn’t produce just a bit more despite his physical gifts. Plus there is the weapons charge.

Don’t get me wrong, Smith is definitely on my list. I just think a second- and burning assets to move into the second- is a bit much.
Smith is a quality run stuffer at worst. That's the Texans biggest weakness on defense. With his insane athletic ability he's got Wilfork upside. Definitely worth a 2nd rd pick. IMHO

Young
Mayer
Hyatt
Avila or Stromberg

I would be on board with a trade with the Browns pick but only if we can get an extra pick in this draft - if not two firsts in this one, an additional 2 seconds in this one if available as there is still a wealth of talent in the second - 3 second rounders would be sweet.

He would be nice to have fer sure and should be almost NFL ready. He is big enough to be an OL and is an excellent receiver.
A great safety valve for a rookie QB.
I think Mayer is ready to produce in the NFL. As a receiver and blocker. It's pretty rare to see a true Y TE produce at the level Mayer has. He has a lot of Mark Andrews in his game.

Young
Mayer
Hyatt
Avila or Stromberg

I haven't seen much of Center Wypler but he consistently comes up as one of the top ones in the draft. Thoughts?

I haven't seen much of Center Wypler but he consistently comes up as one of the top ones in the draft. Thoughts?
He's really good.

Gonna have to pick him at 2-32 if you want him. That's too high for me, but I don't think he will last until 3-65

Just need to get this off my chest. I've read several recent articles saying how Houston winning against the Colts could drop them several slots in the draft. They have 2.5 wins. The only team with fewer than 4 wins is the Bears.

Found another mock draft machine.
You get plenty of trade offers in this one.
Looks like you can only share your draft on Twitter or Instagram or Google.
My first four picks with no trades:-
Bryce Young
Will Anderson
Jamyhr Gibbs
Andrew Vorhees.
Yep, got Young and Anderson.
Apparently, Anderson fell.

I made a couple of reasonable trades and got quite a haul:

#1 Bryce Young (QB)
#20 Michael Mayer (TE)
#32 Antonio Johnson (S)
#51 Jarrett Patterson (IOL)
#64 Rashee Rice (WR)
#73 Eli Ricks (CB)
#102 Derick Hall (EDGE)
#135 Deuce Vaughn (RB)
#155 Ricky Stromberg (IOL)
#188 Brandon Dorlus (DL)
#203 Kingsley Eguakun (IOL)
#216 Dorian Williams (LB)
#239 Isaiah Land (EDGE)
#242 Andrei Iosivas (WR)
#249 Deonte Banks (CB)
#251 Ochaun Mathis (EDGE)
#252 Jayden Reed (WR)
#255 D. J. Dale (DL)
#257 T. J. Bass (IOL)

Maybe too many IOL in retrospect, but I'm happy with this overall.

Starting lineup might look something like:

QB - Young
RB - Pierce
TE - Mayer
WR - Collins, Rice, Metchie
OL - Tunsil, Green, Patterson, Stromberg, Howard

DL - Hughes, Collins, Hinnish, Okonkwo
LB - Wallow, Harris
CB - Stingley, Ricks, King
S - Pitre, Johnson

Last edited:
I made a couple of reasonable trades and got quite a haul:

#1 Bryce Young (QB)
#20 Michael Mayer (TE)
#32 Antonio Johnson (S)
#51 Jarrett Patterson (IOL)
#64 Rashee Rice (WR)
#73 Eli Ricks (CB)
#102 Derick Hall (EDGE)
#135 Deuce Vaughn (RB)
#155 Ricky Stromberg (IOL)
#188 Brandon Dorlus (DL)
#203 Kingsley Eguakun (IOL)
#216 Dorian Williams (LB)
#239 Isaiah Land (EDGE)
#242 Andrei Iosivas (WR)
#249 Deonte Banks (CB)
#251 Ochaun Mathis (EDGE)
#252 Jayden Reed (WR)
#255 D. J. Dale (DL)
#257 T. J. Bass (IOL)

Maybe too many IOL in retrospect, but I'm happy with this overall.

Starting lineup might look something like:

QB - Young
RB - Pierce
TE - Mayer
WR - Collins, Rice, Metchie
OL - Tunsil, Green, Patterson, Stromberg, Howard

DL - Hughes, Collins, Hinnish, Okonkwo
LB - Wallow, Harris
CB - Stingley, Ricks, King
S - Pitre, Johnson
Rice is going to go before 3-64.

I would really like to see a run stuffing DT added.

I'm really liking A chance at 2-32..

Thunder and lightning with Pierce. Plus I think you can use him some as a receiver too, if they pick Young I hope the Texans draft goes like this so that Young has threats to score anytime they touch the ball.

1. Young
1. Johnston
2. Achane
3. Stromberg
3. Best DL available.

Shocking, but I like it 👍

Just a couple of my thoughts on what I’ve seen.

1. Deuce Vaughn is interesting but has no power in his game at all, seems to go down at the slightest contact. I would like him in the 4th round however

2. I don’t think there’s any chance we don’t go QB. Trading down does sound nice but I don’t think we’d get much of a picks haul. Fanbase apathy has totally set in at this point and I think off-season decisions are going to be made with that in mind. We’re guaranteed to have a chance at Stroud or Young at this point, both of whom have questions around them but also have a lot of potential.

3. WR is a big need but I think this is a light WR class at the top honestly, Addison lacks size, Johnston is great after the catch but has concerns with body catching.

1. Deuce Vaughn is interesting but has no power in his game at all, seems to go down at the slightest contact. I would like him in the 4th round however

2. I don’t think there’s any chance we don’t go QB. Trading down does sound nice but I don’t think we’d get much of a picks haul. Fanbase apathy has totally set in at this point and I think off-season decisions are going to be made with that in mind. We’re guaranteed to have a chance at Stroud or Young at this point, both of whom have questions around them but also have a lot of potential.

3. WR is a big need but I think this is a light WR class at the top honestly, Addison lacks size, Johnston is great after the catch but has concerns with body catching.
Checkout this guy

Andrei Iosivas

Tell me what you think?

If Caserio doesn't draft one of the top 5 WR's then give me this guy.

Vaughn is amazing as a receiver - has higher marks than Joe Mixon did. He is fast and elusive but with that small frame, won't make a bunch of yards after contact.

DE Jared Verse, a projected 1st-round pick, staying at FSU
Florida State defensive end Jared Verse made a pros and cons list as he weighed his future over the past two weeks, trying to determine whether to leave school and become a potential first-round NFL pick or stay for one more year and improve.
Ultimately, Verse decided he wanted another year with the Seminoles, he announced Saturday, joining quarterback Jordan Travis, leading rusher Trey Benson, leading receiver Johnny Wilson and several others who have already announced they would be back in 2023.

Back