Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Awtysst's Stupidly Early Draft Thoughts

awtysst

Draft Guru
Here are some VERY PRELIMINARY thoughts on the draft. Don’t hold me to any of these names, but think more along the lines of types of players and positions. As always, depending on what juniors jump into the draft, this could completely change everything, but as of now, this should be a fun one to look at.

In the off season we make one move: sign DT Tank Johnson. We need someone with a little fire, a little nastiness, on our Dline. Mario and Okoye are too nice. They are people you can take home and show your grandmother as an example of an upstanding citizen. Johnson is the exact opposite> I wouldn't want him anywhere neart my neighborhood, but we need someone like him on the D-line.

I don’t know where the Texans finish, but I am having them pick between 5-10 per round. In addition, I have them trading down in the first round and picking up an extra 2nd and 4th.

1. James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
I am not an Ohio State fan but JL is legit. He is a football player in every sense of the word. He is one of those guys that always seems to be around the football. With this pick, we could move Meco to Greenwood’s spot and get rid of him. This would be a great pick because it would allow us to have 3 very good LBs on the field at all times. Suddenly all those screen passes that seem to go for 30 yards thanks to Mr. Greenwood become a thing of the past with Meco patrolling.

2(A) Maurice Evans, Penn State- DE
I need to read more about him, but I think he could be that elusive passrusher we have been searching wanting from the Weaver position. This move allows us to get rid of Weaver and utilize Bulman off the bench. I think Bulman would be great as a situational rusher and allow Evans to get a breather. Our D-line problem has been 2 fold: 1) not enough talent and 2 not enough depth. This pick addresses both.

2(B) Captain Munnerlyn-CB South Carolina
I need to think a little more about this pick and watch him some more, but he is a First Team All SEC player and with a name like Captain, you know he is an on field leader! Plus he went to South Carolina, just like another CB named DR…

3(76) Antoine Caldwell, Alabama-C
What has been the biggest problem so far with our Oline? Brown has been progressing and aside from an iffy game, Winston has been solid. So its not the tackles. Pitts has been fine so its not LG. A case could be made for Center or RG. I personally think its Center (followed by RG). There have been so many times when I have seen Myers getting pushed backwards into the QB and RB. It seems that he is unable to hold the point of attack effectively. One question we SHOULD have been asking last year when we traded for him was why would Denver a ZBS team trade a young center for a 4th rounder. I think we now know. I say get the second best center on the board and watch him move the LOS forward.

4. Rashad Jennings, Liberty-RB
He transferred from Pitt to Liberty because of family issues and has single-handedly carried Liberty. He is 6’1 232 and has 4.5 speed. I say we grab him and pair him with Slaton. We suddenly have our own version of Thunder and Lightening. How many times have we seen our drives fail on a 3rd and short. Put this guy in and he will get those short distance objectives and goal line tds that our team simply cannot seem to get.

4. Ray Feinga, BYU-OG
He has good feet and is quick for a big guard(6’5 329). He is the kind of guy that is not pushed around. He along with Caldwell will be placed together and will push the line of scrimmage forward, not backward.

5. Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State-QB
What on earth is AWTYSST thinking?! Well for one it’s a super early mock, secondly, why not? He looked pretty good as a Red shirt Freshman at Oklahoma. Only reason he is no longer there is because he took $ not that he lacks in skills. I think he could be the QB we have been wanting for awhile. If we take him, I would start Schaub and let Bomar sit and learn. Plus let our new Olineman gel with the ones we have for a season. Then let him start the year after.

6. Selvish Capers, West Virginia-OT
With a name like Capers, you know he has to be good. I mean think of all the other people in the NFL named Cap…oh wait, nm. Anyway, he is the perfect size for the ZBS and could be a solid backup/swing tackle.

7. Tyronne Green, Auburn-OG
He was an SEC o lineman of the week once in 2007. He could be a solid backup or even potential starter.

I like it. Not a huge fan of your first pick, but everything else seems pretty good. I doubt Bomar will be there in the 4th though.

I like it. Not a huge fan of your first pick, but everything else seems pretty good. I doubt Bomar will be there in the 4th though.

Laurinaitis is a very productive run stopper & could be aquired after trading down thus adding an extra 2nd (I'm assuming thats how you attained two 2nd pics?)

Laurinaitis is a very productive run stopper & could be aquired after trading down thus adding an extra 2nd (I'm assuming thats how you attained two 2nd pics?)

I dont know about him being available in the second round .... the few mocks I've seen thus far have him going top 10. GBN has him @ #7 while Draft Countdown has him @ # 10 .... the first ILB taken in either mock.

Yes, exactly. Everyone has been talking about Rey Maualuga as the top ILB, but I really think the best one is JL. This is a draft that we could drop down grab an extra 2nd and really shore up some spots.

I dont know about him being available in the second round .... the few mocks I've seen thus far have him going top 10. GBN has him @ #7 while Draft Countdown has him @ # 10 .... the first ILB taken in either mock.

Some people think his stock could drop going towards the draft, sorta like Dan Conner from last year.

If we were to take a LB, I would rather it be Rey Magulua. This is the kind of player that our defense is missing, a guy like Bob Sanders. He could improve our mentality on defense immensely, and if we had a chance to draft him we should. If you want nasty then look no further.

A close second would be Aaron Curry. The guy is a friggin' arsehole on the football field... exactly what I want from a defensive player.

I want this off-season to not only be dedicated to getting talent on the defensive side of the ball, but to also change the mentality of the players. We need some Ron Artest on this team. Look at how much TMac's and Yao Ming's demeanor has changed since adding Artest.

Also, for the offensive side of the ball, you guys should watch out for Ball St. QB, Nate Davis. Rumors going around that he is likely to declare for this draft, for the reason to get money to help support in raising his kid.

This guy is going to be an absolute stud in the NFL, and can be had in the 2nd round(probably 1st after combines). Someone on another board made a comment, saying that he could put up MVP numbers in the NFL, in a WCO. So imagine him as a Texans, with Kubiak as his coach. oh my gawd.

JL has pretty much been garbage without Vernon Gholston occupying blockers and film time this year.

Spikes and Maualuga are light years ahead of JL

Detroit owns Dallas #1 pick #20 right now. they could draft Andre Smith #1 overall then move up to aquire a QB like Bradford, Stafford or Tebow if thats who they really want & he is still on the board when the Texans are on the clock. late teens early 20's seems about right for Laurinaitis, I think he does slip a little from where they have him going now.

I am a little worried about Rey, but JL comes across like a football player to me.

JL is a very smart football player. He comes across to me as a less athletic Brian Urlacher.

I don't know how well Big Rey's game translates to the pros. He doesn't seem to really play to his responsibilities. He just runs around at full speed and hurts people. Not sayin that's a bad thing as this defense could certainly use that kind of attitude.

JL is a very smart football player. He comes across to me as a less athletic Brian Urlacher.

I don't know how well Big Rey's game translates to the pros. He doesn't seem to really play to his responsibilities. He just runs around at full speed and hurts people. Not sayin that's a bad thing as this defense could certainly use that kind of attitude.

To me, Rey would do best at the FS spot rather than Mike. He likes to run around and lay the wood on anyone that comes near him. I think he could be a great FS. I am not sure how his skills translate at Mike though.

Back