Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB (Yates named #2)

legacy_gt

Rookie
http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...kup-qb-race-with-university-of-houston-moxie/

by Chris Baldwin

As the media horde swarms around Ed Reed, waiting on the first training camp words of the grizzled Hall of Famer to be, Case Keenum throws passes to undrafted free agent wide receiver Andy Cruse on another field.

In one sequence, Keenum tells Cruse - who is more of a longshot, wide-eyed dreamer than even Keenum himself ever was - when to cut on a certain route, playing it forward even as Reed talks about being thought of as the Houston Texans new wise "uncle."

This extra time on the field after practice is anything but a charity situation to Keenum though. If he didn't having willing wide receivers, you get the idea he'd call over his wife Kimberly, who is waiting patiently on the sideline after this packed open practice, and send her on a go route.

It's training camp now, the first preseason game is only 10 days away and Keenum's only gaining on Yates.

Keenum knows he needs to grab every chance. He'll squeeze in extra reps whenever - and however - he can.

"It's important," Keenum says of the post-practice work. "You want to feel good about what you're doing and end on a good note. It's a chance to work on things.

"If you had a bad rep in practice, you want to work on that and do it right. Make that play a good rep."

So Keenum gets in as many reps as he can. The former University of Houston quarterback star keeps pushing himself, almost willing himself into an NFL ready quarterback throw after throw . . . after throw. This is the Case Keenum way. He always wanted to know how many passes he threw and completed in each practice at UH and his old coach Kevin Sumlin made sure the hard data was available.

This analytical drive is starting to be recognized on the pro level as well. Texans coach Gary Kubiak is talking about just how hard Keenum is pushing T.J. Yates for the No. 2 quarterback job again. Kubiak said much of the same thing during OTAs (essentially offseason practices in shorts), but some Houston media voices refused to accept that truth. Some like 610 AM's Nick Wright downright mocked the idea.

Only it's training camp now, the first preseason game is only 10 days away and Keenum's only gaining on Yates.

"He’s having a really good camp," Kubiak says of Keenum. "I’ll be interested to see - he’s going to play a lot in the preseason. I’ve got to play him and T.J. a great deal."

Kubiak also notes how Yates is having some issues. "I think T.J. can throw the ball a little better than he’s throwing it," the coach says. "His arm is a little tired right now. They’re all tired. He missed a few this morning, but he made some plays.

"He’s in a very competitive situation right now with Case and that will work itself out throughout the course of the preseason."

Last edited by a moderator:
From culturemap

by Chris Baldwin
Only it's training camp now, the first preseason game is only 10 days away and Keenum's only gaining on Yates.

"He’s having a really good camp," Kubiak says of Keenum. "I’ll be interested to see — he’s going to play a lot in the preseason. I’ve got to play him and T.J. a great deal."

Kubiak also notes how Yates is having some issues. "I think T.J. can throw the ball a little better than he’s throwing it," the coach says. "His arm is a little tired right now. They’re all tired. He missed a few this morning, but he made some plays.

"He’s in a very competitive situation right now with Case and that will work itself out throughout the course of the preseason."

If this was a more manipulative coach, a coach who didn't care about his players the way Kubiak does, one might argue that this simply could be a well-played ploy. A kick in the butt to a quarterback with some proven NFL experience (Yates).

Toying with his guys' emotions isn't really the Gary Kubiak way though. This isn't Rex Ryan. Kubiak doesn't just say things for effect.

No False Houston Texans Hope

Keenum has at least a shot at the No. 2 job.

There.

If the race for QB2 is neck and neck at the end of the preseason, I'd give the nod to Keenum. I'd rather have the guy who fought and gained ground vs the one who was caught from behind.

If the race for QB2 is neck and neck at the end of the preseason, I'd give the nod to Keenum. I'd rather have the guy who fought and gained ground vs the one who was caught from behind.

Don't listen to reporters. Jedi mind tricks work extremely well on the weak minded. Notice nowhere in that whole report that was quoted, but not quoted, did Gary Kubiak ever state that Keenum is the #2, that Keenum has surpassed Tj, or that Keenum will even make the team.

You've never seen anything like that on any of the other threads dedicated to the Texans preseason & thanks to the wonderful guys & gals we have here, if there is news about the Texans it's here.

The whole report that was quoted, but not, is just some reporters wishes & desires presented as fact, a sort of, "If I say it it must be true." Kind of thing. You're smarter than that.

The only edge out there, is in Kubiak's mind & he's not saying one way or the other.

Written by the same idiot who called JJ Watt a pizza boy on draft night while promoting the idea that the Texans would rue the day they chose him over Nick Fairley.

Yeah I'm not so sure his analysis skills are worth anything when it comes to football.

I'm not going to lie, I want Keenum to win the backup job. I like some things Yates did, and I still don't think we fans have given the guy a fair shot, but I just think Keenum has an abundance of the sort of determination, drive, and work ethic that can lead a team a long way.

I just think Keenum has an abundance of the sort of determination, drive, and work ethic that can lead a team a long way.

Well, hopefully Kubiak does the right thing & make the better of the two the back up. But I think he's going to go with Yates because he's been here longer. Thinking we'll probably see both of them in the regular season.

Matt is probably going to miss some time & one of those two are going to have to step up & be the man. Whoever Kubiak puts in I hope he trusts him enough to let him be a QB & not put everything on Foster's plate like last time.

Well, hopefully Kubiak does the right thing & make the better of the two the back up. But I think he's going to go with Yates because he's been here longer. Thinking we'll probably see both of them in the regular season.

Matt is probably going to miss some time & one of those two are going to have to step up & be the man. Whoever Kubiak puts in I hope he trusts him enough to let him be a QB & not put everything on Foster's plate like last time.

regardless, keenum making a run at the 2nd spot makes everyone better. if the guy is working his tail off, everyone wins. I want a lot of competition with our 2nd and 3rd QB's against schaub. if he is even the 3rd qb (close with 2nd), Keenum will have moved up from last year.

Don't listen to reporters. Jedi mind tricks work extremely well on the weak minded. Notice nowhere in that whole report that was quoted, but not quoted, did Gary Kubiak ever state that Keenum is the #2, that Keenum has surpassed Tj, or that Keenum will even make the team.

You've never seen anything like that on any of the other threads dedicated to the Texans preseason & thanks to the wonderful guys & gals we have here, if there is news about the Texans it's here.

The whole report that was quoted, but not, is just some reporters wishes & desires presented as fact, a sort of, "If I say it it must be true." Kind of thing. You're smarter than that.

The only edge out there, is in Kubiak's mind & he's not saying one way or the other.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not buying anything being sold by anyone right now.
I'm just saying that I would give the nod to Keenum if he and Yates are neck and neck at the end of the preseason. If they are that close when the regular season kicks off, that means Keenum has improved a ton, or Yates has regressed a ton, so I give the edge to the ascending player.

I never thought Keenum would even sniff the regular season roster, and really still don't.

By all accounts Keenum has made great strides. And I think he has a little bit of an "it" factor that TJ lacks in my view. He might even have more upside - TBD.

Having said that, he has to pass not one, but two guys with real NFL game experience, one of whom has playoff experience.

In my mind, Case has to not play even, or play a little better. He has to be clearly head and shoulders above TJ to be named #2. It has to be so obvious that Kubes has no choice.

To put it another way. it's a big game and the playoffs are on the line. Schaub just got sacked. It's 17 for the opponent, 10 for the Texans. There is 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Plenty of time. Looks like Schaub might be out the rest of the game, as he's limping to the sideline. Time to bring in your backup.

Now, do you want a guy there that's never taken a single NFL snap, or do you want the guy that led the team to the playoffs and was the starting QB in a playoff game?

If you answered the guy with no experience, then...

Fetus-Facepalm.jpg

By all accounts Keenum has made great strides. And I think he has a little bit of an "it" factor that TJ lacks in my view. He might even have more upside - TBD.

Having said that, he has to pass not one, but two guys with real NFL game experience, one of whom has playoff experience.

In my mind, Case has to not play even, or play a little better. He has to be clearly head and shoulders above TJ to be named #2. It has to be so obvious that Kubes has no choice.

To put it another way. it's a big game and the playoffs are on the line. Schaub just got sacked. It's 17 for the opponent, 10 for the Texans. There is 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Plenty of time. Looks like Schaub might be out the rest of the game, as he's limping to the sideline. Time to bring in your backup.

Now, do you want a guy there that's never taken a single NFL snap, or do you want the guy that led the team to the playoffs and was the starting QB in a playoff game?

Fetus-Facepalm.jpg

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but Yates didn't have a single NFL snap when he was called on, so obviously it is possible for an inexperienced QB to come in and have success.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but Yates didn't have a single NFL snap when he was called on, so obviously it is possible for an inexperienced QB to come in and have success.

Actually, every QB that's ever played in the NFL had no NFL experience when they were first called upon. It's amazing we have any QBs at all!

Right I get that, but let's examine the apples to oranges comparison you are making.

Yates was the #3 that season. The reason he played at all wasn't because Kubes put him ahead of Leinart on the depth chart, it was because both #1 and #2 got injured. In short, Kubiak had no other reasonable course of action. It was Yates or bust.

And Case will play if both Schaub and Yates go down this year too. No difference.

And yes, I understand all QB's are inexperienced - until they are not. But Case was a UDFA. Maybe it shouldn't matter where you start, but if you don't believe that, I think you are very naive. There is a difference between being a #1 pick and being a UDFA. There just is. And yes, I realize Yates wasn't a #1 - I'm simply pointing out that where you start does make a difference in how quickly you get the chance to overtake the person above you.

What do these QBs have in common: Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, Warren Moon, and Kurt Warner?

None of them were drafted.

What about Doug Flutie?
Well, he was drafted in the 11th round (285th overall),
so basically, he was also an UDFA.

Those are pretty good names there, would'nt you say?

And yes, I understand all QB's are inexperienced - until they are not. But Case was a UDFA. Maybe it shouldn't matter where you start, but if you don't believe that, I think you are very naive. There is a difference between being a #1 pick and being a UDFA. There just is. And yes, I realize Yates wasn't a #1 - I'm simply pointing out that where you start does make a difference in how quickly you get the chance to overtake the person above you.

In the first off-season, yes. After that it basically means zilch unless the disparity is much greater.

There have been several more QBs that were undrafted and became starter in the NFL, most notably Jim Zorn, Jake Delhome, Dave Krieg, Jim Hart, and John Kitna.

So, no, I can't agree that Keenum has no shot at all.

Written by the same idiot who called JJ Watt a pizza boy on draft night while promoting the idea that the Texans would rue the day they chose him over Nick Fairley.

Yeah I'm not so sure his analysis skills are worth anything when it comes to football.

And that's all I need to read. Thanks b0ng!

The one thing I like is Kubiak mentioning how Keenum always has four or five plays per day that "can't be teached".

With the running back play and defense play, in 2011, Yates was not really called upon to generate his own come from behinds......nor did he look like he could......he simply tried not to have games get out of hand by his own hand. That impression was not changed by last year's performance in the preseason or the times he came into 3 games for limited playing time, where he had 1 int, 1 sack and 0 TDs (won't rag on him for no TD).......in "garbage" time with an average passer rating of 35. Yates has never looked to me like he was capable of coming back from a significant deficit or putting up quick numbers on his own. Just my opinion that with the type of QB Keenum is, he has a better chance of developing into such weapon.

There have been several more QBs that were undrafted and became starter in the NFL, most notably Jim Zorn, Jake Delhome, Dave Krieg, Jim Hart, and John Kitna.

So, no, I can't agree that Keenum has no shot at all.

I'm not sure if that was directed at a particular individual. But I'll answer anyway. I never said he had no chance. But I don't think it's a high chance for sure. By all accounts he is light years ahead of last year, so that's good.

I still feel in the final analysis that Kubes is partially "highlighting" or playing up Keenum's progress in media reports and interviews as much or more because of what Keenum is doing, then what TJ is not. I think he's pushing Yates and trying his best to light a fire under TJ.

Competition typically makes one better, especially people that are natural competitors. I know I don't seem like it, but I am highly competitive. I won't let a 2 yr old win a game of tiddly winks. It's in my DNA that when faced with an adversary, I'm driven to be at my best. And I think most football players are the same. And Kubes knows that. He's no dummy.

So, my final analysis here is that I disagree with this author. I actually do think Kubes is quite capable of playing psychological mind games with his players. It's not like we haven't seen it before. One example - Mario Williams. :mariopalm:

Fetus-Facepalm.jpg

i'll take kubs decision regardless. not some observation from people on the threads.

I'm not sure if that was directed at a particular individual. But I'll answer anyway. I never said he had no chance. But I don't think it's a high chance for sure. By all accounts he is light years ahead of last year, so that's good.

I still feel in the final analysis that Kubes is partially "highlighting" or playing up Keenum's progress in media reports and interviews as much or more because of what Keenum is doing, then what TJ is not. I think he's pushing Yates and trying his best to light a fire under TJ.

Competition typically makes one better, especially people that are natural competitors. I know I don't seem like it, but I am highly competitive. I won't let a 2 yr old win a game of tiddly winks. It's in my DNA that when faced with an adversary, I'm driven to be at my best. And I think most football players are the same. And Kubes knows that. He's no dummy.

So, my final analysis here is that I disagree with this author. I actually do think Kubes is quite capable of playing psychological mind games with his players. It's not like we haven't seen it before. One example - Mario Williams. :mariopalm:

keenum def has a high chance at being 3rd. yates was 3rd and played in the playoffs.

Amen.

Yates, by most observers at training camp, is being caught from behind by someone that the NFL didn't even think was draft worthy. That Yates has had "playoff experience" is a matter of record. But I don't get the sense that he's stepping up, progressing enough, to legitimately challenge Schaub for the #1 spot. Don't you guys think that, in his third year, if Yates was "all that", that he should have Schaub looking nervously over his shoulder?

Fetus-Facepalm.jpg

At one point every QB in the NFL had never taken a single NFL snap. If that's the primary criteria that you base that decision on then by all means, play the guy. If for some reason you feel like the better choice is the rookie then you're by no means automatically failing. Someone should abort your fetus because he's a friggin idiot.

True, it can happen. When your choice is the guy who pretended to be a QB for the last 3 months or the guy who's been taken snaps at TE for the last three months...... you go with what you got. Roll the dice, see what happens.

Now, the situation is different. You've got a good idea how Tj will handle the huddle, & how the team will respond when Tj is in there. You've seen Tj under "live fire" & he pulled a game or two out of his butt for ya.

Kubiak does have the benefit of seeing Keenum in practice & maybe there is something there that would give Kubiak enough confidence in how Keenum would handle the huddle, the game, the "real" pressure... if he's got the short term memory that a QB needs.

But like Porky said, I think Keenum would have to show a lot for Kubiak to switch. A lot more than what he showed to not get himself drafted.

But... then again it makes no sense at all that he didn't get drafted.
Casey Austin "Case" Keenum (born February 17, 1988) is an American football quarterback who is currently on the Houston Texans practice squad. Keenum is the NCAA's all-time leader in total passing yards, touchdowns, and completions. On October 22, 2011, Keenum became the Football Bowl Subdivision's all-time leader in total offense. On October 27, 2011, Keenum became the all-time leader in total touchdown passes by an FBS quarterback. During that game he threw for nine touchdowns and 534 yards.
In the 2008 college football season, Keenum ranked first nationally in total offense and second in total passing yards.[1][2] As a result of his on-field contributions to Houston's success, Keenum was named to several All-American lists. He is the only quarterback in Division I FBS football history to have passed for more than 5,000 yards in each of three seasons.

We'll all be seeing him in action soon enough. Then we'll have a better idea. I hope like hell Keenum does well, but if he doesn't the damn world ain't coming to an end. LOL

We'll all be seeing him in action soon enough. Then we'll have a better idea. I hope like hell Keenum does well, but if he doesn't the damn world ain't coming to an end. LOL

What's important to remember, is that it's the preseason. He'll be playing with guys who weren't good enough to make the starting team. Sometimes they'll catch the ball, sometimes they won't.

So even if he ends up with gaudy stats, if I'm the coach I'm judging Keenum (& Tj for that matter) based on how he executed the play, more than I'm judging him on the outcome of the play. Is he making good reads, is he rushing his feet, is the ball coming out on time (very important for what we do). If he holds the ball, then runs for a first down.... was that the best decision? If he could have thrown the ball like the play was designed, I'd have rathered he threw the ball. If his 3-4 receivers are all covered & he makes something out of nothing, that's totally different.

How is he getting in & out of the huddle, how is he at the line, does he see what I see... & if not, why not?

It's more about why he does what he does, than what he does.

Amen.

Yates, by most observers at training camp, is being caught from behind by someone that the NFL didn't even think was draft worthy. That Yates has had "playoff experience" is a matter of record. But I don't get the sense that he's stepping up, progressing enough, to legitimately challenge Schaub for the #1 spot. Don't you guys think that, in his third year, if Yates was "all that", that he should have Schaub looking nervously over his shoulder?

Good post, Obs. MSR.

On 610 earlier today john mcclain basically guaranteed that keenum would be our starter a couple of years down the road. To me that means keenum has no shot at all. Case closed (pun intended.)

Fetus-Facepalm.jpg

If you had witnessed the numerous come from behind victories that Keenum led at UH there would be no discussion.

Good to know that Case doing well and stepping up. I hope this isn't due to TJ not stepping up. If both are playing better than the last year, it is all good for us as our quality depth at QB has been improved.

Go Texans!!!

With the running back play and defense play, in 2011, Yates was not really called upon to generate his own come from behinds......nor did he look like he could......he simply tried not to have games get out of hand by his own hand. That impression was not changed by last year's performance in the preseason or the times he came into 3 games for limited playing time, where he had 1 int, 1 sack and 0 TDs (won't rag on him for no TD).......in "garbage" time with an average passer rating of 35. Yates has never looked to me like he was capable of coming back from a significant deficit or putting up quick numbers on his own. Just my opinion that with the type of QB Keenum is, he has a better chance of developing into such weapon.
I see Yates as a QB that you hope holds onto the game. I see Keenum as a creator that can take over a game. He keeps getting better and I'm not sure if Yates has topped out. I want the best 2 and the other traded. I see Schaub gone after 2014 with Yates or Keenum starting and a draft pick like Fales waiting and learning in the wings. Keenum and Fales are in my crystal ball. Trading Schaub and Yates for players/picks would be perfect scenario for me.

Amen.

No.

Schaub may not be well liked by the fans, but Kubiak loves the guy. Schaub's job is safe & will be safe. After 2014 if Schaub wanted to sign an extension with the Texans I'm sure the Texans would do it paying him at least what he's getting paid now.

Our next starting QB is going to earn the job on the field, not in camp, not in FA.

If Schaub struggles this year he's going to get pulled.

I think either Chase or Tj will get a chance to show they should be starters, but more so because Schaub is going to get hurt.

Schaub won't struggle, history is against that.

No.

Schaub may not be well liked by the fans, but Kubiak loves the guy. Schaub's job is safe & will be safe. After 2014 if Schaub wanted to sign an extension with the Texans I'm sure the Texans would do it paying him at least what he's getting paid now.

Our next starting QB is going to earn the job on the field, not in camp, not in FA.
FYI, Matt is under contract thru 2016.

Back