Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ed Reed released

The thought was taking a flyer. Sometimes those work out and sometimes they don't.

It really is that simple. You don't find out if works or not until you have the benefit of hindsight. That's why it's a wonderful thing.

"I know I'm held to higher standards because of what I've done in the past, but that was the past," he said. "I'm a totally different player now!"

Per the Chronicle, that is what he revealed in his post-game interview.

Really Ed? I'm sure you made that known before you signed that contract, right? And you wonder why you got cut.

The guy couldn't perform and ran his mouth. It is really that simple. But I get it. For the purpose of conducting dialogue and carrying out conversation, it's necessary to take something simple and make it complicated. That's how it works.

It really is that simple. You don't find out if works or not until you have the benefit of hindsight. That's why it's a wonderful thing.

"I know I'm held to higher standards because of what I've done in the past, but that was the past," he said. "I'm a totally different player now!"

Really Ed? I'm sure you made that known before you signed that contract, right? And you wonder why you got cut.

The guy couldn't perform and ran his mouth. It is really that simple. But I get it. For the purpose of conducting dialogue and carrying out conversation, it's necessary to take something simple and make it complicated. That's how it works.

I guess.

If you are an NFL player nursing an injury and a team does their due diligence on you and still wants to sign you, what are you going to say? "Hey, um, you know I am not sure if I am going to be coming back from this thing at 100%. I may be a **** player when all is said and done.....so let's talk figures."

I was optimistic when they signed him. Mainly just by choice because I wanted to hope this season was going to be the exact opposite of what it turned out to be.

I think some teams - or should I say coaching staffs - have a pretty good track record for signing aging vets. Most that are successful at it seem to be good talent evaluators, and most of the time they never overpay.

Unfortunately, the Texans track record seems to be the opposite. The Texans have done pretty good with drafting players, but spotty on the free agent market, especially when it comes to older veterans.

In hindsight, it looks kind of desperate. And not sure how reliable McClain is considering his history with the team, but his admission that Wade was never big on Reed for his system is intriguing.

I hadn't heard that, but if true...that's very intriguing on multiple levels.

Who forced him on wade? (McNair?)

If wade didn't want him, did he really give him the best shot to succeed? Maybe they had been clashing and wade had simply tuned him out?

Lots of questions...and well....it's kind of sad that this season has turned into a soap opera. I feel like I'm watching the young and the restless or something. ****ed up twists at every turn.

And Keenum will look like the answer this year and the day after the Super Bowl he falls down the stairs trying to eat cereal and walk at the same time and blows out his throwing shoulder, ending his career.

And the saga of the 2013 Houston Texans will be complete.

nah, he'll wait for it untill after the draft, so we don't draft a rookie QB in the 1st round

ND Kalu said this morning on his radio show that Reed's agent had requested a release from Rick Smith, and Reed opening his mouth was a way to tweak Smith into making it happen.

If so, my perception that the franchise has been played like a fiddle twice this year by Reed appears to be true.

Kalu also echoed my sentiment in this thread. You hire a leader who is known to be vocal in the past, so do not be surprised if said leader is vocal in bad times, as well. That's what leaders are often about, brutal honesty. And that's never been the "Texans way".

Now just speculation, Kalu and Koch were talking to Keenan McCardell about the effects of this on the locker room during a losing season. They all agreed it puts a chill on players and lets them know that their opinions are neither invited nor valued by the front office and coaching staff.

Keenan McCardell also confirmed there is a "Texans way" and every player is advised about it when they join the franchise. McCardell played for Kubiak's Texans in off-season 2007, so he does have some experience to reflect on, fwiw. (btw, he's not bitter and likes Kubiak, so it was more analysis than criticism. For instance, New England also has the "Patriots way", like many other teams.)

Thin skin not an issue for Buddy Ryan's boy.

It is an interesting contrast, because you know the same words spoken by Reed in the Jets locker room would get a chuckle from Ryan at a press conference and he'd probably agree and move on. Ryan has a teflon coating about these things. Obviously you have to with the New York media scrutiny.

Very unlike the stern bitter beer face of Kubiak and the sort of quasi-denial of "we just wanted Reed to get a chance somewhere else because we respect him so much".

That said, I don't want Kubiak or Ryan as head coach of the Texans.

ND Kalu said this morning on his radio show that Reed's agent had requested a release from Rick Smith, and Reed opening his mouth was a way to tweak Smith into making it happen...

That makes more sense to me, and changes my opinion.

Perhaps Reed will improve playing more snaps, but he leaves the Texans rated 72nd/82 Safeties (>25% team snaps, PFF) with a league worst opposing QB rating of 158.3 when targeted.

Absolutely the same. Feels just like it but compared to Ed's beat up ass Marshall still had a couple of Pro Bowl seasons left in him. At least Wilbur still had tires.

But yeah, same thing. Scary. Bob ain't Bud but he's got more similarities than many of us would like to admit. I guess it's just an NFL owner kind of thing.

Yep

And BoB considered Bud a friend and mentor. You have to wonder about a person who would befriend Bud.

Bottom line for me is Rick/Texans medical staff got played by Reed. This is not the 1st time this has happened under this regime. But it should be the last. You swing and miss too many times and you get fired. Atleast that's how it works in the real world. Not that the Texans have ever lived in the real world. Gig'em

ND Kalu said this morning on his radio show that Reed's agent had requested a release from Rick Smith, and Reed opening his mouth was a way to tweak Smith into making it happen.

If so, my perception that the franchise has been played like a fiddle twice this year by Reed appears to be true.

Kalu also echoed my sentiment in this thread. You hire a leader who is known to be vocal in the past, so do not be surprised if said leader is vocal in bad times, as well. That's what leaders are often about, brutal honesty. And that's never been the "Texans way".

Now just speculation, Kalu and Koch were talking to Keenan McCardell about the effects of this on the locker room during a losing season. They all agreed it puts a chill on players and lets them know that their opinions are neither invited nor valued by the front office and coaching staff.

Keenan McCardell also confirmed there is a "Texans way" and every player is advised about it when they join the franchise. McCardell played for Kubiak's Texans in off-season 2007, so he does have some experience to reflect on, fwiw. (btw, he's not bitter and likes Kubiak, so it was more analysis than criticism. For instance, New England also has the "Patriots way", like many other teams.)
After the Dunta Robinson episode and simple observation of Rick Smith and his stealthy, reactionary leadership for many years, I think many of us can see this kind of corporate sanitation that may work well for accounting firms or administration of Cogeneration systems but it doesn't work for performance art. You gotta have talent to be in the talent business, and you have to let your talent have creative space. In the NFL you gotta have talented Players, Coaches and Administrators.

That said, there are two problems with our current situation. The first one is that Rick Smith isn't leading this organization because he is way too much of a figurehead. Too many people telling him what to do. Gary hired him and he is handcuffed by his deal with the devil to get this job. Rick took the job with understanding that Kubiak is going to have a ton of power. No job otherwise I'm sure. McNair tells Smith to court Reed, even pulls out the corporate jet. Rick Smith doesn't own his nuts. One is in Kubiak's hands and the other is in the Owner's grip or at least micromanaged and sanitized into being a caricature of itself.

Problem two: Running with ND Kalu's insight and Keenan McCardell's confirmation the Texans have a league wide reputation/perception problem and not just a locker room problem. You can get players to play ball without micromanaging everything. A relaxed atmosphere is hard to obtain when you have too many handlers. The Texans need a top down organization that has thicker skin. You can go about this in many ways, but the current configuration isn't a winning formula unless you consider passive-aggressive, figure head GM's with no real power a good model for a NFL franchise.

Jets are 5-4 and could still make the playoffs...

And that's why he's gone. He saw the S.S. Texans was a sinking ship and forced his way out to play some meaningful ball -- if he can play on that walker we gave him. At his age, can't blame him I guess.

He's going back to a system he knows and that will create turnovers. Wade's defense just doesn't create interceptions.

ints are hard to come by when your dbs never look for the ball

DBs are always man to man and in a trail technique. No opportunities to jump routes.

When was the last time a Texan DB or LB was able to jump a route or trick an opposing QB by lurking in a zone? It sure happens a bunch against the Texans.

Is it wrong that I hope Ed Reed plays awesome thus making our FO and coaching staff look even worse than they already do?

Yes.

He's going back to a system he knows and that will create turnovers. Wade's defense just doesn't create interceptions.

Interceptions:

2013 - Texans 29th, Packers 32nd
2012 - Texans 14th, Packers 8th
2011 - Texans 13th, Packers 1st

Systems stay the same and get very different results.

Last edited:
Is it wrong that I hope Ed Reed plays awesome thus making our FO and coaching staff look even worse than they already do?

i hope we win out, the jets lose out and reed goes 0-14 this season. hiding medical issues, playing bad enough to get benched for shiloh keo, and infecting the locker room ... i'd like to see reed knocked down a peg.

Travis Johnson just said on 610 that Ed and wade didn't get along. He said that Ed didn't feel he was being used correctly and that wade's defensive play calling was suspect/too basic. TJ said wade only calls around 3 defensive plays all game.

Which is plausible since we play so much man.

Travis Johnson just said on 610 that Ed and wade didn't get along. He said that Ed didn't feel he was being used correctly and that wade's defensive play calling was suspect/too basic. TJ said wade only calls around 3 defensive plays all game.

That explains why we get creamed in the 2nd half of games . Of course Ed said that and got canned .

I can believe that.

Which QB did we play this season that said something similar? That our defense was easy to figure out and didn't do anything to confuse them

Yes, the organization does seem to be just that ...

I can believe that.

If Wade only makes 3 calls a game then there is 32 years of tape of him doing it. It shouldn't work for one year, one game or one half.

C'mon a little common sense - base, nickel and dime are 3 calls without any variation.

Which QB did we play this season that said something similar? That our defense was easy to figure out and didn't do anything to confuse them

I believe you are thinking of a defensive player (Seahawks CB with the pick 6 iirc) talking about the offense.

If Wade only makes 3 calls a game then there is 32 years of tape of him doing it. It shouldn't work for one year, one game or one half.

C'mon a little common sense - base, nickel and dime are 3 calls without any variation.

The defense we are lined up in is considered a package. The play that you call can be called from any package.

For instance. Man to man, cover 3, cover two. That can be balled from just about every package.

Of course there are some variations, but I think the point is that wade doesn't really have any exotic looks which ought to be a staple of a 34. There is likely not much we do to actually fool offenses or make them think twice about.

And for all wades success, he has a consistent track record of a good turnaround followed by not so good seasons.

I would ask that you use some common sense as well. You have a guy coming from a very good defensive team over the years who has made a living off if making qb's think twice about throwing towards him. There are guys who have talked about how simple wades defense is.

Maybe it's not 3 plays. That wasn't what was said anyways, it was "around three plays". I think the point was obvious...wades defense is simple...Ed wanted to do more things...wade didn't budge.

I hear a lot of people knocking madden, but honestly, more people should probably play it. You can actually learn some things from playing football games these days.

I believe you are thinking of a defensive player (Seahawks CB with the pick 6 iirc) talking about the offense.

I think the "3 calls" had a hint of sarcasm. At least that's the way I read. His scheme is basic and easily beat if the pass rush doesn't get home.

Wade's stubborn and old school. Good coaches/teams figure him out, but he refuses to make significant adjustments. Patriots being a perfect example

The defense we are lined up in is considered a package. The play that you call can be called from any package.

I knew someone would go there. We play multiple personnel packages within each as well and then all sorts of variations within on who is blitzing, who drops in coverage, cover schemes within each, etc. 3 plays or anything close is an absurd exaggeration no matter how you want to parse it out.

Also, showing exotic doesn't mean more complex than attempting to hide by showing the same thing and then running it differently. eg. Zone blitz is built on concealing the pass rush by bringing it from different positions from the same formation. Most games and in fact competitive endeavors I know of it is considered smart to hide your cards (hmmm, wonder why that is an expression?).

I think the "3 calls" had a hint of sarcasm. At least that's the way I read. His scheme is basic and easily beat if the pass rush doesn't get home.

Wade's stubborn and old school. Good coaches/teams figure him out, but he refuses to make significant adjustments. Patriots being a perfect example

What scheme is not easy to beat if the pass rush is not effective?

I knew someone would go there. We play multiple personnel packages within each as well and then all sorts of variations within on who is blitzing, who drops in coverage, cover schemes within each, etc. 3 plays or anything close is an absurd exaggeration no matter how you want to parse it out. .

What the hell are you talking about? What does that have to do with the plays called in?

All you are talking about is how responsibility changes depending on the personnel that is in. Which again you seem confused and think that has anything to do with the plays that are called other than wades choice of what he wNts to call with what personnel.

You are trying to use different packages as evidence that we are making a bunch of different calls and that is false evidence.

Damn. I like Wade and I'm not going to slam his defense.

But the above news - if true - speaks volumes about some foundational problems with the coaching staff and front office.

You have one of the most respected defensive coordinators in the league. And now we are finding out that a player was basically forced on him. A player that he did not think fits his scheme. Wade will never come out and say it. He's a professional and team player.

But, it does make sense when it never looked like Reed belonged in this defense, both with limited range from his surgery and the way he was being implemented. Then read his words that go him into trouble. He was obviously not happy with being benched, but there was something else to it, like a dissatisfaction with both the coach and scheme.

Screw Reed and screw the Jets. I'm not going to root for either of them out of spite. I'm a Texans fan, regardless of the coaching staff, and I'm certainly not going to bandwagon some freakin' yankee team that I've never liked just to make some kind of statement. Screw that noise.

Back