Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

I know we have Matt Ammendola but shouldn't we give him some competition? Do any of y'all know much about free agent fg kickers available? I don't know much about fg kickers and all the free agent fg kickers available but there is one kicker I have in mind who did well in the USFL. He didn't do well in the NFL but he seemed to find his college greatness while in the USFL, and I think he did well enough that he should be brought into some NFL team needing a kicker and get a fair chance to compete. Our Texans should bring him to try out. What could it hurt? If anything the competition would be good for Matt Ammendola and any other fg kickers coming to compete. I would love to see former Pitt Panther record holder Chris Blewitt get a chance. He couldn't make three NFL teams back in 2019 but he seems to have rediscovered his talent while with the Pittsburgh Maulers of the USFL last season. Check out his story on Youtube?

Believe they waived him Monday (clears waivers then back on practice squad) to make room for Derek Barnett released by Eagles. Sure would hope they bring someone else in to kick the tires like former 49er Robbie Gould? He made 87.5 percent of his field-goal attempts (161 of 184) during his time with the 49ers. He is eighth in NFL history with an 86.46 percent accuracy on field-goal attempts, also eighth with 447 made field goals and 10th with 1,961 points.

Last edited:
They will be bringing Amendola back. The release was procedural only - moving chess pieces around. As I understand it, there is near zero chance they are bringing in a kicker to kick one week. Fairbairn likely coming back for the Jets, so it's just one more week.

They will be bringing Amendola back. The release was procedural only - moving chess pieces around. As I understand it, there is near zero chance they are bringing in a kicker to kick one week. Fairbairn likely coming back for the Jets, so it's just one more week.
If Amendola is coming back for the Broncos, then his leg better be sore from practicing 50+ yard field goals all week.

If Amendola is coming back for the Broncos, then his leg better be sore from practicing 50+ yard field goals all week.
Relaize they're not going to throw him under the bus, easier to throw everyone else under the bus to drive accountability but he is accountable for missing short FG attempt, on his home field, in a dome, perfect snap and hold. The 50+ should have been for the win and gravy on top, minimal it goes to OT and I like Texans chances much more if not for that flub. Just remember, how comfortable will you feel, against a red hot Bronco team where every point counts, that he doesn't cost Texans, its second consecutive loss.

In regards to Fairbairn - How effective will he be coming off injury? Makes me nervous. Plus he has built a rather extensive injury track record as a Texan. Heck I would prefer Dare Ogunbowale, dude is a complete football player and inspiration. Fairbairn also went on IR in 2021 with leg injury. Would hate to spend another pick on kicker as opposed to signing a proven free agent to finish season strong and not piss away all the hard work the players and coaches have put into 2023 season.

Relaize they're not going to throw him under the bus, easier to throw everyone else under the bus to drive accountability but he is accountable for missing short FG attempt, on his home field, in a dome, perfect snap and hold. The 50+ should have been for the win and gravy on top, minimal it goes to OT and I like Texans chances much more if not for that flub. Just remember, how comfortable will you feel, against a red hot Bronco team where every point counts, that he doesn't cost Texans, its second consecutive loss.

In regards to Fairbairn - How effective will he be coming off injury? Makes me nervous. Plus he has built a rather extensive injury track record as a Texan. Heck I would prefer Dare Ogunbowale, dude is a complete football player and inspiration. Fairbairn also went on IR in 2021 with leg injury. Would hate to spend another pick on kicker as opposed to signing a proven free agent to finish season strong and not piss away all the hard work the players and coaches have put into 2023 season.
I've never been comfortable with Amendola. I would be a lot more comfortable with Robbie Gould or Matthew Wright.

BTW, what do you think about Irving as a Texan? Is the Ducks TE a Sr., I like that guy, not Herbert's brother.

I don't know much about fg kickers but based on USFL results I think Chris Blewitt deserves another shot at the NFL. I know spring league players are not among everybody's top choice but we are talking about fg kickers and they should be able to translate their skill to the NFL better than any other position in football outside of maybe punters.

Chris Blewitt deserves a chance with some team in the NFL if not us. He set a new and old USFL record for fg's made in one game. One was a 59 yarder that would have been good from 60+. Look up Chris Blewitt and find "How this Kicker Left Announcers SPEECHLESS". I know it is one game but this young man has the talent.

Amendola went to waivers and then practice squad to allow Derek Barnett. Who gets cut by Sunday to bring Amendola to the 53 so he can play? Any chance it's Barnett?

After thinking about this, I would let Schultz, Greenard etc... walk. Bring back Cashman and Rankins. Sign Hunter and Wilkins in FA and draft a developmental edge like Jalyx Hunt. Keep this guy at home. Depending on what Barnett has left I would try to keep him too. In other words there's not an edge I would keep on this team next yr other than WA unless Barnett plays well.

I'm thinking this draft.

Rd.1 DeJohn
Rd.2 Benson
Rd.3 Stover or the best WR that falls in the draft if he's really good. Somebody like your Ducks WR.
Rd.4 Jahiem Bell
Rd.4 Jalyx Hunt

I would also bring Griffin back on the cheap, and sign a cheap vet FA safety along with LB Burks from the 49ers.

But I'm signing the 2 big guys in FA regardless if I lose everybody but Cashman in FA. Improve the DL and pass rush, get a stud RB and this team will look like a contender with better OL health. Thoughts?

Sorry mods I didn't realize this wasn't in the draft section. Please move.
Isn't there a more appropriate place to talk about draft picks and free agents
that we need for the team? This was supposed to be about field goal kickers.

Isn't there a more appropriate place to talk about draft picks and free agents
that we need for the team? This was supposed to be about field goal kickers.
Just 2 draftniks talking. I didn't realize we weren't in the draft section. Mods please move.

So if he misses and costs Texans a win? Amendola proved himself last Sunday.
Really? Dude was in a deer stand a month ago. Fairbairn is about as reliable as there is. Provided he's fully healthy that is. 75% (15-20) from 50+, 92.5% inside of 50 the last 4 years. Ammendola is 85.7% inside 50 as a Texan, and 0-5 from 50+ in his career.

Back