Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Here's to you, Reggie Bush!

Well folks, it's time for my mea culpa. In the immortal words of Arthur Fonzerali, I was wr. I was wro. I'll get it out. I was wron. Ok screw it. Here goes. I was wrong. Ahh, that feels better. I thought the worst case for Bush was a Westbrook type player. Frankly, Westbrook is far superior to him at this point. Things can change, but if he was going to be a superstar on the field, we would have seen some indication of that by now. He is closer to a bust than a superstar.

Here is some of the text from the PFT article, already linked by another poster above:

The fact that Bush is widely regarded as a superstar is actually causing folks in the league to take a dimmer view of him than they would if he was a third-down back taken on the second day of the draft.

As one league source told us on Wednesday, an "amazing number of people" in the league think Bush is overrated. And more and more folks are concluding that the Texans knew what they were doing when passing on Bush with the No. 1 selection. (Not drafting Vince Young, however, is quite another story.)

It's not going to get any better for Bush. Though many assume that he'll get a chance to become an every-down back (and potentially blossom) now that Deuce McAllister is out for the season, don't be surprised if backup Aaron Stecker ends up inheriting most of the touches that would have gone to McAllister.

And Bush's sinking star could have a negative impact on the draft stock of WVU running back Steve Slaton, who has already drawn comparisons to the 2005 Heisman winner. The problem, as we see it, is that guys like Bush and Slaton have the speed to run around, and away from, college defenses that, at most, have one or two guys with the skills to even have a chance at stopping them. But when some 120 major NCAA programs funnel the best of the best into the NFL, most teams have more than enough guys to neutralize the speed and elusiveness that guys like Bush demonstrated before playing with the big boys.

Well folks, it's time for my mea culpa. In the immortal words of Arthur Fonzerali, I was wr. I was wro. I'll get it out. I was wron. Ok screw it. Here goes. I was wrong. Ahh, that feels better. I thought the worst case for Bush was a Westbrook type player. Frankly, Westbrook is far superior to him at this point. Things can change, but if he was going to be a superstar on the field, we would have seen some indication of that by now. He is closer to a bust than a superstar.

Here is some of the text from the PFT article, already linked by another poster above:

The fact that Bush is widely regarded as a superstar is actually causing folks in the league to take a dimmer view of him than they would if he was a third-down back taken on the second day of the draft.

As one league source told us on Wednesday, an "amazing number of people" in the league think Bush is overrated. And more and more folks are concluding that the Texans knew what they were doing when passing on Bush with the No. 1 selection. (Not drafting Vince Young, however, is quite another story.)

It's not going to get any better for Bush. Though many assume that he'll get a chance to become an every-down back (and potentially blossom) now that Deuce McAllister is out for the season, don't be surprised if backup Aaron Stecker ends up inheriting most of the touches that would have gone to McAllister.

And Bush's sinking star could have a negative impact on the draft stock of WVU running back Steve Slaton, who has already drawn comparisons to the 2005 Heisman winner. The problem, as we see it, is that guys like Bush and Slaton have the speed to run around, and away from, college defenses that, at most, have one or two guys with the skills to even have a chance at stopping them. But when some 120 major NCAA programs funnel the best of the best into the NFL, most teams have more than enough guys to neutralize the speed and elusiveness that guys like Bush demonstrated before playing with the big boys.

It's okay, friend. We've all called some bad shots. I called Bush accurately from Day 1 and it appears that Mario steadily on his way to vindicating my defense of his pick.

BUT--Vince Young, unimaginably, continues to succeed despite an even lousier supporting cast, though now that the VY=BestPlayerEverOMG hype has died down and people are more apt to view him as merely a very good player, this is an easier pill to swallow.

Who knows what will happen as the season progresses--maybe Bush will develop the vision he needs to run the ball successfully. Maybe Mario will develop another move or two and maybe VY will tank.

I was wrong.

... and I was right. Don't worry Porky, for some reason you were in the majority over here. I still am waiting for an apology for all the "UT homer" crap that was heaped on me when I was telling everyone that Bush would be an Eric Metcalf at best in the NFL. For the life of me, I can't see how anyone that watched that Rose Bowl couldn't see the writing on the wall for Bush then. Texas had quite a few pro prospects on defense so that was the closest thing to a pro defense Bush would see and we all know what happened there. Pete Carroll obviously knew something also. That is why Bush was a spectator during most of the 4th Qtr and on the crucial 4th down play.

However, I had "burnt orange colored glasses on", etc, etc. As much as I tried to explain that I am a bigger NFL fan than college fan, and UT has no impact on whom I want the Texans to draft, etc it made no difference. It got so bad I even had to change my username. The funny thing was once I did my opinions were actually taken seriously.

Oh and you mentioned VY. Don't even get me started there.

The problem, as we see it, is that guys like Bush and Slaton have the speed to run around, and away from, college defenses that, at most, have one or two guys with the skills to even have a chance at stopping them. But when some 120 major NCAA programs funnel the best of the best into the NFL, most teams have more than enough guys to neutralize the speed and elusiveness that guys like Bush demonstrated before playing with the big boys.

These media guys are just now starting to figure this out? Jeez.

As I have pointed out to everyone who engages me on the topic, there was a substantial percentage of the fan population that wanted nothing to do with Bush to begin with. Personally, I wanted Ferguson, Mario, Hawk, Anyone But Bush, VY, then someone else, then maybe Bush. VY doesn't really enter into the argument for me, because no one in the media had VY as the #1 overall pick, and I don't remember too many having him as the top QB off the board. So for the media to say we should have taken VY is ludicrous, and entirely based on hindsight.

I'm perfectly happy with Mario, whom I would not trade for Bush. I am also perfectly happy with Schaub, whom I would not trade for VY. I like VY (other than the fact that he plays for those guys), but I like Schaub better in our system.

These media guys are just now starting to figure this out? Jeez.

As I have pointed out to everyone who engages me on the topic, there was a substantial percentage of the fan population that wanted nothing to do with Bush to begin with. Personally, I wanted Ferguson, Mario, Hawk, Anyone But Bush, VY, then someone else, then maybe Bush. VY doesn't really enter into the argument for me, because no one in the media had VY as the #1 overall pick, and I don't remember too many having him as the top QB off the board. So for the media to say we should have taken VY is ludicrous, and entirely based on hindsight.

I'm perfectly happy with Mario, whom I would not trade for Bush. I am also perfectly happy with Schaub, whom I would not trade for VY. I like VY (other than the fact that he plays for those guys), but I like Schaub better in our system.

QFT!!!!!!!!!

VY would have been SICK in our system...

But I like Schaub as a QB more.

I was wrong also. I wanted Reggie. With that being said, let me say this, as soon as we picked Mario I was fine with the Mario pick. Then Reggie started wearing gold cleats,wanting to keep #5,all the ESPN hype. He also sounded like he just wanted to be the #1 overall pick not to be a "Houston Texan". Don't forget about the NCAA rules violation.

"We passed on Michael Jordan and drafted Sam Bowie"

That needs to be thrown out the window.

... and I was right. Don't worry Porky, for some reason you were in the majority over here. I still am waiting for an apology for all the "UT homer" crap that was heaped on me when I was telling everyone that Bush would be an Eric Metcalf at best in the NFL. For the life of me, I can't see how anyone that watched that Rose Bowl couldn't see the writing on the wall for Bush then. Texas had quite a few pro prospects on defense so that was the closest thing to a pro defense Bush would see and we all know what happened there. Pete Carroll obviously knew something also. That is why Bush was a spectator during most of the 4th Qtr and on the crucial 4th down play.

However, I had "burnt orange colored glasses on", etc, etc. As much as I tried to explain that I am a bigger NFL fan than college fan, and UT has no impact on whom I want the Texans to draft, etc it made no difference. It got so bad I even had to change my username. The funny thing was once I did my opinions were actually taken seriously.

Oh and you mentioned VY. Don't even get me started there.

Ok dangit, I figured I was in the clear, and you didn't hate me anymore....so I'll say it, I was WRONG for making that statement...you're football knowledge far surpasses my Texan Homerism...there, can we be friends now? :)

As for VY, we have Schaub now. I am going to wait until he plays all 16 games, but he is looking like a special player minus the redzone INTs which hopefully he'll learn his lesson to not force a play down there.

Ok dangit, I figured I was in the clear, and you didn't hate me anymore....so I'll say it, I was WRONG for making that statement...you're football knowledge far surpasses my Texan Homerism...there, can we be friends now? :)

I'm a Texans homer also, however I want to win. If someone in the organization is preventing that then I will call them out no matter what uniform they wear or who is signing their checks.

It's funny to go back and look at all my negative feedback I received during the 2006 offseason leading up to the draft.

I got negative feedback for comments like this ...

In reply to someone posting that Carr was staying

"The bigger problem is Casserly is staying. That loser shouldn't even be here making any decisions."

In reply to someone posting that Carr is getting a big pay day extension

"Man, I ought to get in line. I can do absolutely nothing for this franchise too."

In reply to someone asking which holes the Texans should fill after the 05 season.

"Quarterback would be a good start."

In another Carr thread

"Carr should be a backup. It will probably take Carr 4 more years to learn the NFL game if ever"

Yeah, well, in my case hindsight is 20/20, I've learned that you can be a Homer, but you also gotta be realistic. Listen to other opinions, and maybe you learn something. So contrary to popular belief, you can teach an old dog new tricks :)

Back