Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Houston Texans @ Kansas City Chiefs. 10/20. 3:25. CBS. **Official Gameday Thread**

Just in Case you forgot...

xo02kl.jpg

The most opportunistic defense in the NFL and strong special teams have allowed the Kansas City Chiefs to overcome a mediocre offense for the second-best start in team history.

The Houston Texans haven't been quite as fortunate, with a glaring turnover problem weighing down its league-best defense and otherwise quality offense.

Kansas City (6-0) will look to capitalize on those issues Sunday when it hosts Houston, which will have third-stringer Case Keenum at quarterback over injured starter Matt Schaub as it looks to avoid its first five-game losing streak in nearly eight years.

Defense and special teams have accounted for 46.1 percent of the Chiefs' points, including five touchdowns. The 2003 Chiefs had seven TDs from the defense and special teams in their first six wins during a 9-0 start, the only one in team history better than this year's.

Husain Abdullah's 44-yard interception return for a score with 1:35 left helped seal a 24-7 home victory over Oakland on Sunday.

"It's something we talked about from Day 1, the scoring. There's equal opportunity in all three phases," coach Andy Reid said. "We wanted everybody to have their chance to score a touchdown."

Houston (2-4) isn't nearly as upbeat despite allowing 252.8 yards per game, easily the best mark in the NFL. The Texans' offense is averaging 395.7 yards, seventh most in the league, but they're scoring 17.7 points per game - the seventh-lowest mark.

A minus-12 turnover differential has been a big reason for that, as only the winless New York Giants at minus-16 are worse.

The Texans have committed 12 turnovers during their four-game slide. They haven't lost five in a row since a six-game skid Nov. 6-Dec. 11, 2005.

"Turnovers get you beat in this league and they're getting us beat on a consistent basis," said coach Gary Kubiak, who won division titles the last two years but may be on the hot seat with a 4-8 record since an 11-1 start last season.

2jenqyv.jpg

ano8pe.jpg

23k9qud.jpg

What I want to see:

Easy throws for Keenum early; let him get a rhythm

Last thing we need is to go "run, run, pass..punt" out there and hide him. Let Case get his feet wet with some screen passes, some short throws to Graham, Dre and Dre II, and of course, some easy tosses in the play action game. The offense will be able to go deep plenty, as we'll expect to see a lot of 8, maybe even 9 in the box.

Stuff the run and keep an eye on Charles all day in the pass game

He's one of the best backs in the league, and KC has made sure to get him the ball a ton thus far. Not only is he lethal in the run game, but is a legit weapon in the pass game out of the backfield. I think we need our boys to get Cush's best game, folks, to limit him.

Heavy dose of Foster and sprinkle in a little Tate

Have to make them respect the run. In order to take pressure off of #7, running the ball is one way to do so. Offensive line...GET TO WORK, FELLAS.
(O-Line, you gotta protect Case today, too! Newton and Brown..be on your best behavior)

Eliminate the miscellaneous TDs

Pick 6s, special teams TDs, fumble returns, etc. KC lives for these. I won't say the DBOK need to be PERFECT, but catastrophic mistakes have to be at a minimum.

Time to put an end to all this bs. No more losing streak, no more pick 6s, no more none of this garbage that we've all had to watch and endure the last 4 weeks. 1-0 this week is the goal, simple as that. This is a "we ain't dead yet" W if we get it...so let's get it! LET'S MUTHA****IN' GO, TEXANS!!

I'm optimistic too. I have no idea what case will look like tomorrow, but I at least I don't have a sinking feeling about our qb right now.

This optimism and feel good stuff can change really quick, but u do think case will do well.

I genuinely don't give a crap who is playing QB. I will support said player, praise them when they do well, and call them out when they don't. This is about the TEAM not the local boy.

I'm optimistic about this game also. I don't even care so much that they win as I do about how Case plays and the team plays around him. Hopefully this team has a pulse today. If there are signs of hope today then with the bye week the Texans could come out fresh and ready to do some damage in the 2nd half of the season. If not then we can start a draft thread and a who's available head coach thread. :bguitar:

Our run game and defense have to dominate. The special team can't give the game away either. Case Keenum will not turn the ball over like Schaub and Yates did. I also feel optimistic. I wish the game started at 12 noontime though. Waiting until 3:25 PM makes me feel more anxious.

Some interesting "thoughts."

Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
Keenum: I try to play and prove everyone right that believed in me more than trying to prove wrong those who doubt me. #Texans

Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
Kubiak says he doesn't know what he'll do (with a smile) when asked if he'll decide to kick if #Texans win coin toss.

Much has been said about Arrowhead Stadium being the loudest outdoor sports stadium in the world, reaching 137.5 decibels in last week’s win over Oakland. The Texans need to take the home crowd out of the game early.

“I think we’ve practiced all week with the noise,” Keenum said. “Doing that and working with silent cadence I think is going to be big. We’ve really worked a lot on the operation. I think operation, being able to get us in the right play, calling plays in the huddle, getting us out of the huddle with the right personnel, snap count, and all of that stuff reduces penalties and kind of creates fluidity in the offense. So I think that’s going to be huge this week.”

We'll probably be seeing lots of the silent cadence today. To be successful, it requires discipline and coordination of the entire OL.........hopefully, something that we will see more of this week than we have seen in the past.

One way or the other the QB situation will be settled today. Either Case is the future, or we're gonna have to draft or find one. At least we'll know for sure.

GO KEENUM

GO TEXANS

:texan:

Think today is the day they get back on track. I also think kc is overrated. Their schedule has been weak so far. The records of the teams they have faced is 11-25.

One way or the other the QB situation will be settled today. Either Case is the future, or we're gonna have to draft or find one. At least we'll know for sure.

GO KEENUM

GO TEXANS

:texan:

One game is not going to settle it. If he plays well, it's just one game. If he plays poorly, it's also just one game, his 1st ever game, against an elite defense. One game isn't going to decide anything. At least it shouldn't.

One game is not going to settle it. If he plays well, it's just one game. If he plays poorly, it's also just one game, his 1st ever game, against an elite defense. One game isn't going to decide anything. At least it shouldn't.

Yup. I think folks are forgetting an NFL truism as well - you don't lose your job due to injury. Sure there are exceptions.

I hate late games! Waiting in line at the DMV is less painful. Then again, I'm just thankful to even get the game in Jerryland.

Here are some Case Keenum highlights to get you pumped and pass the time.

I really like this one, on the run and he finesse throws it ~44 yards. While I respect Schaub, 44 yards is about that point where he can't hit the WR in stride standing flat footed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Qqc0z6tnE

Keenum breaking a college TD record in 9TD game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlMNrHct2I

Preaseson highlights - that first TD pass to Jean is sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4LpCbVTp-g

chiefs are so cocky. it's not like they can score with their offense. yeah, they have a great specials team and defense scores but if Texans can get back to playing Texans defense, our special teams can do something, then this game will be close regardless who our QB.

as far as keenum, we'll find out. I personally think keenum will shine today regardless of a win or loss.

I'm not necessarily optimistic but I am way more excited than I have been in a long time. Here's to Case Keenum, our starting QB.

Yup. I think folks are forgetting an NFL truism as well - you don't lose your job due to injury. Sure there are exceptions.

Exception being if you're Alex smith

:trapstar:

Ironic that this game just happens to be against him.

I'm hoping Case has a good game and that the Texans win it.

chiefs are so cocky. it's not like they can score with their offense. yeah, they have a great specials team and defense scores but if Texans can get back to playing Texans defense, our special teams can do something, then this game will be close regardless who our QB.

as far as keenum, we'll find out. I personally think keenum will shine today regardless of a win or loss.

It's cocky when it's someone else's team. When your team does it, it's confidence.

Im so nervous and pumped at the same time, why does it have to be a 330 kickoff time lol.....heres to case sparking this TEAM and all of them coming together and kicking the snot out of the Chiefs!!!!!!!!!!!

Case will seize this opportunity and make the most of it unless of course Kubiak handcuffs and sabotages him in order to save Matt. If most people were just grossly wrong about keenum and he just completely craps the bed then at least we know we need to draft a QB.

If GK does run, run, pass when third in long Case will have a long day.
If Gk calls plays to keep defense off guard then the Texans may have a chance.
I think the game plan needs to be like UT had against OU a couple weeks ago.
Need to take some chances long. The only problem is the Texans have no real speed. That is one of the problems.
Just hope the receivers remember how to improvise if Case extends plays. They may have forgotten what to do since MS has been their QB.
Hoping for the best but realize there may not be a worst scenario for Case's first start ever.

I definitely have more HOPE with CK than TJ or MS.

It will take more than CK playing a good game to win. The D and special teams need to be positives not negatives.

Coaching will matter. This may be one of our biggest challenges to overcome.

GO TEXANS

It's cocky when it's someone else's team. When your team does it, it's confidence.

go read the chiefs forum. they say this is going to a slaughter and an easy win. even when the Texans were good last year, we didn't, or at least I didn't say wins were going to be easy.

it' s not like the vegas spread is huge. latest time it was 6.5.

I genuinely don't give a crap who is playing QB. I will support said player, praise them when they do well, and call them out when they don't. This is about the TEAM not the local boy.
Then you'd make a good coach.

Even though the Chiefs QB is unlikely to air it out to any distance, the thing that makes me most nervous about this game (next to our ability to stop the run up the middle) is that Ed Reed or Swearinger or Keo will be the last line of defense...........:hankpalm:

Even though the Chiefs QB is unlikely to air it out to any distance, the thing that makes me most nervous about this game (next to our ability to stop the run up the middle) is that Ed Reed or Swearinger or Keo will be the last line of defense...........:hankpalm:

Yeah that does scare me. None of these guys has given me confidence. I'm really hoping our Front 7 decides to wake up and starts playing up to their talent level. That means Antonio and Brooks Reed need to show up and Cushing needs to like he did pre-injury.

If our defense plays well, I think we have a shot. Case can play lights out, but if the ST and defense stink it up, it won't matter for a W.

Inactive:

Houston
-QB Matt Schaub
-RB Cierre Wood
-ILB Tim Dobbins
-OLB Willie Jefferson
-T Andrew Gardner
-G Cody White
-DE Sam Montgomery

I really don't like these late starts, I'm ready to see what is hopefully a much needed win. It would also be nice to Kubes to not be outcoached for a change too.

Back