Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Houston Texans. 11/24. Noon. CBS. **Official Game Thread**

:toropalm:

2ld7hwo.jpg

For the past two seasons, the Houston Texans sat atop the AFC South while the Jacksonville Jaguars were near or at the bottom.

Mired in a franchise-worst eight-game skid, the Texans hope to avoid sharing a spot in the division basement with the visiting Jaguars by recording a sixth consecutive victory in the series Sunday.

Houston (2-8) went 22-10 the last two seasons and set its sights on a third straight division title before a 30-9 loss at Baltimore in Week 3 began what's been one of the most frustrating stretches in team history.

While trying to overcome the loss of stars Brian Cushing and Arian Foster to season-ending injuries, the Texans emotionally dealt with the mini-stroke suffered by coach Gary Kubiak earlier this month.

However, Kubiak is entertaining questions about his job security after Sunday's 28-23 home loss to Oakland generated more concern. Kubiak benched quarterback Case Keenum, Matt Schaub and receiver Andre Johnson argued on the sideline after a late failed fourth-down pass attempt and running back Ben Tate called out some fans on a radio show for booing during the game.

"I could feel a lot better. I know that," said Kubiak, who hopes to coach from the sideline and not the press box Sunday. ''I'm just one of many people. Every player, every coach, it has been very difficult.

"It's tough on the organization, everybody, our fans. I feel a lot like everybody else, but I'm the guy that has got to get in there and figure out a way for us to work through it and that's what I'm trying to do."

Kubiak insists he's not lost his team.

"I don't see anybody fraying," he said. "I'm honest with them with where we're at and what we do every day. We're in there working our tails off, just trying to work our way out of this."

Keenum will be back under center for a fifth straight start. He threw for 170 yards with a touchdown and his first interception but was pulled after Houston punted on its first three drives of the second half.

s1u4ax.jpg

msi2k4.jpg

2q89ft4.jpg

What I want to see:

Case getting reps ALL game

No, no, no Kubiak...do not take him out!

Protection of Keenum/run blocking being crucial

Not only should they protect 7, but opening holes up for Mr. Tate, opening up the obvious play action

Hey defense, how bout a stop?

Simple enough, right? I'm talking about the BIG stop.

Fundamentals

Holding on to the ball, penalties, tackling. You name it; it needs to be fixed.

No speeches, no pep talk; nothing. Just act like you have a damned pulse. Easy enough, fellas. Fans may not care, but show that YOU do, guys on the field. If you want to win...THEN GO DO IT!

Correction in the OP

If they lose against the Jags, they won't share the bottom of the division, they'll have sole ownership of it due to head to head tie breakers.

I know, it's sad to even fathom that. :kubepalm: :wadepalm:

Correction in the OP

If they lose against the Jags, they won't share the bottom of the division, they'll have sole ownership of it due to head to head tie breakers.

I know, it's sad to even fathom that. :kubepalm: :wadepalm:

They'll have gone from #1 power ranking (which they were all so keen to celebrate) to #32 in less than a year.

At this point every win postpones success. Lose admirably Texans.
I hate to say it but you may be right. I'm ready to clean house and I feel very excited about the 2014 NFL Draft. I know there are six games left starting today, but my mind is already focused on both the off-season and the 2014 season as a Texans fan. If losing to those little kitty cats twice in the next three games can help us turn things around quicker next season then so be it.

We can manage man. The sooner the 2013 season comes to an end the better.

I know dude, a lot has been made of the waste of talent over the past couple of years but I still believe it is just a change of coaching philosophy required.

Sure we've lost a lot of mid-level talent and role players, but we still have all the elite level talent required to be successful.

A strong draft under a new philosophy can replace a lot of those guys like dreessen, casey, Quin, brisel, winston, and the like who are necessary components to a successful team, but are replaceable with half decent drafting and player development, that's how we got them in the first place after all, and it was the right decision not to overpay for most of those cases, it is in the breakdown of talent identification and player development coaching that we have failed to remain on top. A 2006 style draft from a new regime could add back in all those mid level type talents and add an extra elite piece or two with our top pick and a gem unearthed in the mid rounds.

We're likely to have a chance at a bona fide 1st round talent with our second round pick just as we got with demeco as well.

People who want us to lose are pathetic losers.

Beat the **** out of Jacksoffville, please.
Nobody wants the Texans to lose. They are just intelligent enough to realize the bigger picture. We may have to clean house in the off-season and bring in an entirely new coaching staff. Much less worry about who we're going to draft with our first-round pick. These problems run much deeper than you or anybody thinking we can win today's game realize.

I will not accept going into a game wanting to lose. I just will not do that. The Texans have NOT reached the futility level of the Oilers. Frankly, I'm not sure they can in my eyes.

Beat the crap out of Jacksonville. I want to see Keenum throw for 6 TDs while we beat the frigging kittens by 40 points or more.

GO TEXANS

:texan:

I will not accept going into a game wanting to lose. I just will not do that. The Texans have NOT reached the futility level of the Oilers. Frankly, I'm not sure they can in my eyes.

Beat the crap out of Jacksonville. I want to see Keenum throw for 6 TDs while we beat the frigging kittens by 40 points or more.

GO TEXANS

:texan:

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are still bad enough and will lose enough games to get a high draft pick. We sure as hell do not want to lose to the Jags.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are still bad enough and will lose enough games to get a high draft pick. We sure as hell do not want to lose to the Jags.

Yes. My thoughts exactly. We are still drafting in the top ten. I want to see us end this losing streak today. I'm tired of looking at the pictures of a dejected Watts, players fighting amongst themselves and I want Keenum to get his first win under his belt.

The losing ends today.

12-CBS-V2.png

San Diego @ Kansas City (red) -- Jim Nantz, Phil Simms [AK, HI]
NY Jets @ Baltimore (blue) -- Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland (barney) -- Kevin Harlan, Solomon Wilcots
Jacksonville @ Houston (aqua) -- Bill Macatee, Steve Tasker, Steve Beuerlein
Indianapolis @ Arizona (green - LATE) -- Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts
Tennessee @ Oakland (yellow - LATE) -- Marv Albert, Rich Gannon

Officiating crew: Mike Carey

Game Release

Andre Johnson needs 10 catches to get to 900. If he gets them today he will tie Marvin Harrison for fastest ever.

Last edited:
12-CBS-V2.png

San Diego @ Kansas City (red) -- Jim Nantz, Phil Simms [AK, HI]
NY Jets @ Baltimore (purple) -- Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland (barney) -- Kevin Harlan, Solomon Wilcots
Jacksonville @ Houston (aqua) -- Bill Macatee, Steve Tasker, Steve Beuerlein
Indianapolis @ Arizona (green - LATE) -- Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts
Tennessee @ Oakland (yellow - LATE) -- Marv Albert, Rich Gannon

Officiating crew: Mike Carey

Game Release

Andre Johnson needs 10 catches to get to 900. If he gets them today he will tie Marvin Harrison for fastest ever.

Tasker has never been kind to the Texans. I'm am looking to be "dressed down" throughout the game........Lord help us if we lose.......he will be unmerciful. :gun:

Beat the **** out of Jacksoffville, please.

Exactly!!!

Just win, that's all I care about. We're already at a low this season, but losing to the Jags at home will be an all time franchise history low.

If you want a sure fire way unattract free agents, and encourage current Texans to leave, then yes... continue to lose. SMH!

Release the anger. There is no loss. Care not about draft position. All that remains today is the love of the game (and a vicodin cocktail). Go Texans!

Yes. My thoughts exactly. We are still drafting in the top ten. I want to see us end this losing streak today. I'm tired of looking at the pictures of a dejected Watts, players fighting amongst themselves and I want Keenum to get his first win under his belt.

The losing ends today.

^^^^
This

Losing attitude begats more losing.

I want to see Case play well in the 2nd half, despite Gary's lack of adjustments and show further progression in his game.

Go Texans

Funny stuff from the Jags forum.

- First 70,000 fans will receive a free Deep Steel Blue pom pom from Hyundai.
- Olympic gold medalist and Houstonian Mary Lou Retton will lead the team onto the field

Mary Lou Retton could probably start for the Jags at a couple of positions. *Even at her age.

Nothing says Texas like Hyundai.

Mary Lou leads out Texans
Gabby leads out Jags.
Identical scenario.
Both play with Pom poms
Both wear tights.
Both are cute.
Both are retired.

Release the anger. There is no loss. Care not about draft position. All that remains today is the love of the game (and a vicodin cocktail). Go Texans!
The Texans are still mathematically alive in the wild-card race. Something like a 2 % chance I believe it was. They would have to win out and finish 8-8 and receive a lot of help. If only they had secured some of those halftime leads against the Cardinals, Colts and Seahawks, we'd be right there in the hunt with three more wins right about now.

At any rate, the sting of eight losses in a row, along with all of the injuries to key players like Brian Cushing and Arian Foster to name a few, it just feels hopeless to even expect this team to beat the Jaguars at home today. I'm not going to have a positive attitude for the rest of the 2013 season. The coaching staff doesn't breed any confidence into me anymore. I applaud the players for playing hard but there is not a lot to cheer for with six games left and our 2013 season, one that was once filled with Super Bowl aspirations, already on the edge of that underachieving cliff.

Somebody mentioned last week (may have been Rey), but why should we as Texans fans care if the team obviously doesn't?

I'm just ready to see Case and AJ light it up.
The Texans offense will get theirs today. At least they should. That's not going to dictate whether we win or lose. It's going to come down to the defense not being embarrassed by a team with little offensive weapons like they were last week against the Raiders.

At least Justin Blackmon is suspended and can't have a huge game against us like he did last year in Houston. The problem is our secondary is so bad right now, not to mention the inability of our safeties and inside linebackers to successfully cover a pass especially on third downs, that their receivers and tight ends will still make some big plays down the field. There will be a lot of gaping holes in the middle of that field.

The Jaguars offense can likely take advantage of that whether they run or pass. I expect Maurice Jones-Drew to have his best game of the season today. Chad Henne is probably licking his chops and salivating over this matchup.

Statistically, the Texans should win this game. But like I've been saying all year long. If you went by the stats the Texans would be 8-2 and not 2-8. The Texans are 1st in defense and 8th in offense (yardage wise). In fact, I think it's the first time in NFL history a team is 2-8 ranked that highly on both offense and defense.

Nobody plays the game based on useless stats. The Jaguars have a chance if they play as well as I saw them for most of that Arizona game last week (led 14-7 at one point) and a few weeks ago when they beat the Titans.

Isn't this where the Texans go on a meaningless win streak to prove they haven't quit on Kubiak and still are "on the right track"?

I don't see a reason to worry about draft position. The Texans will get a high draft choice and there's no clear cut #1 pick, ala Andrew Luck, in this draft. I know the losing has to be wearing on AJ and JJ. I hope they get this ludicrous streak snapped. But to be clear, there's nothing Kubiak can do the rest of the way to keep his job, IMHO.

Statistically, the Texans should win this game. But like I've been saying all year long. If you went by the stats the Texans would be 8-2 and not 2-8.
That is correct. The Texans have outgained their opponents in every game except KC and Arizona. Finding ways to lose is what the 2013 Texans do best.

That is correct. The Texans have outgained their opponents in every game except KC and Arizona. Finding ways to lose is what the 2013 Texans do best.

And to me that comes down to coaching.. because when games are so close, a lot of that comes down to situational football which comes down to coaching. Like taking chip shot field goals and taking the points instead of going for it on 4th and short, getting stopped, and then end up losing the game by 3 points. :vincepalm:

Our how about staying in man coverage and blitzing on nearly every defensive play even though the other team is just carving you up running screens or attacking your all out blitzes with their running game (Cardinals game)

When you come out of halftime and can't adjust to what the other team is doing, that's also coaching. This coaching staff has always had a problem with adjustments, It seems like Kubiak goes into a game with a game plan and then when the other team counters and shuts down what he's trying to do, he goes into the crapper and can't adjust. They've also had a problem with getting this team ready to play against the top teams in the league.. reason for Kubiak's abysmal record vs teams with a winning record.

I'm just ready to see this coaching staff leave. They've been the definition of mediocrity.

^^^^
This

Losing attitude begats more losing.

I want to see Case play well in the 2nd half, despite Gary's lack of adjustments and show further progression in his game.

Go Texans

“The mind is a strange thing, men.We must begin by asking it……What is losing?

Losing is a disease……as contagious as polio.

Losing is a disease……as contagious as syphilis.

Losing is a disease……as contagious as bubonic plague…… attacking one…… but infecting all.

But curable.”

I agree with everything you said. Hope Case airs it out and AJ has a monster day.

Shefter just said on espn that "a lot of people in the organization were shocked to see kubiak put Schaub in but now they plan on sticking with keenum the rest of the way..."

If that's accurate, that does indeed sound like someone sat Gary down and told him what he was going to do.

Shefter just said on espn that "a lot of people in the organization were shocked to see kubiak put Schaub in but now they plan on sticking with keenum the rest of the way..."

If that's accurate, that does indeed sound like someone sat Gary down and told him what he was going to do.

After his game in KC, they should've came out and named him the starter for the rest of the season right then. It would've took a lot of unnecessary pressure off of him to perform without him having to look over his shoulder.

But Kubes moves at a snails pace so we all got what we saw last week.. and I think that one move to put Schaub back in cemented this F.O.'s decision to **** can him at the end of the season. I think he got his hand slapped after the game too, reason why we're now hearing "he's the starter the rest of the way".

Yep. I bet that is exactly what happened. Kubiak's love for Schaub is a little disturbing and it affects his decision making. He is so blinded by it that someone had to sit him down and point it out to him. I'll bet it is causing Kubiak some great internal turmoil to be handcuffed like that. It wouldn't surprise me if his love for Schaub causes him to insert him in a game again somewhere before the season is over. He can't bear not seeing Schaub out there and living his dreams through him. Emotion may get the best of him if he doesn't heed the warnings or it may get to a point where all is lost and he no longer cares what anyone tells him.

Kubiak needs to go for the good of the organization and himself. Take Phillips, Dennison and Marciano with him. Reformat the hard drive and install a new operating system. The core hardware is good enough. Just need a few new parts to run everything at max.

Yep. I bet that is exactly what happened. Kubiak's love for Schaub is a little disturbing and it affects his decision making. He is so blinded by it that someone had to sit him down and point it out to him. I'll bet it is causing Kubiak some great internal turmoil to be handcuffed like that. It wouldn't surprise me if his love for Schaub causes him to insert him in a game again somewhere before the season is over. He can't bear not seeing Schaub out there and living his dreams through him. Emotion may get the best of him if he doesn't heed the warnings or it may get to a point where all is lost and he no longer cares what anyone tells him.

Kubiak needs to go for the good of the organization and himself. Take Phillips, Dennison and Marciano with him. Reformat the hard drive and install a new operating system. The core hardware is good enough. Just need a few new parts to run everything at max.

The problem wasn't him just reinserting Schaub.. it was how he undermined Keenum. Before the game even started and before he even put Schaub back out there, the week before he was already talking about how he had no problem pulling a QB. (like he never did with Schaub when he struggled)... Nobody believed he actually meant it and when he did it, everybody saw straight through it, the owner, the fans, and the players. He was already laying the ground work to reinsert Matt Schaub. That makes me question where else has he tried to undermine Keenum.

The problem wasn't him just reinserting Schaub.. it was how he undermined Keenum. Before the game even started and before he even put Schaub back out there, the week before he was already talking about how he had no problem pulling a QB. (like he ever did with Schaub when he struggled)... Nobody believed he actually meant it and when he did it, everybody saw straight through it, the owner, the fans, and the players. He was already laying the ground work to reinsert Matt Schaub. That makes me question where else has he tried to undermine Keenum.

I agree with you.

And by "someone" you must mean McNair. Because he's the only one who could sit Kubiak down and tell him what to do.

You know what scares me? The light coming on completely for Keenum and seeing him saving Kubiak's job.

And by "someone" you must mean McNair. Because he's the only one who could sit Kubiak down and tell him what to do.

You know what scares me? The light coming on completely for Keenum and seeing him saving Kubiak's job.

I see this as a very likely scenario.

Back