Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt Appreciation

He's a great man with a huge heart. Much respect to JJ and so glad he's on my team. We've been lucky with some classy individuals in Houston sports.

That's because the team cares about the quality of the people they bring on board, unlike what some would suggest they do.

If you say so.

Give me a few Lombardi's or lets quit keeping score and give participation trophies.

After all a Participation Trophy and a Lombardi Trophy are both trophies, so it really doesn't matter.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1004028970457812992

Good news for the #Texans: Stars Deshaun Watson (ACL) and JJ Watt (tibial plateau fracture) are progressing so well that, at this point, neither are expected to start training camp on the PUP list, I’m told. After a rough 2017 injury-wise, Houston will begin 2018 healthy.

10:55 AM - Jun 5, 2018

I really hope they keep JJ on limited reps. Similar to how Tim Duncan played limited minutes in his last championship season.

Scott Bair

✔@BairNBCS

Per oddsmakers at Bovada, Khalil Mack is 11/2 to win defensive player of the year (that would be his second in three years). JJ Watt is the favorite at 5/1....

Joey Bosa, Aaron Donald and Mack just below that.

8:44 AM - Aug 8, 2018
Watt has 5/1 odds on this ? If you are smart you will short that bet, but I hope he has just a healthy and respectably productive year as an NFL defensive lineman.

PFF:
DEFENSIVE LINE RANKING, WEEK 3: 8TH
Texans star edge defender Jadeveon Clowney missed Week 2 with back and elbow injuries, and even when he has taken the field, he has left little to no impact as a pass-rusher. Clowney has just one total pressure across 70 pass-rush snaps this season. As such, J.J. Watt has had to do a majority of the heavy lifting to keep Houston’s defensive line afloat, and he’s delivered, posting the seventh-ranked pass-rush productivity (9.2) among qualifying edge defenders. Watt also ranks fourth in average depth of tackle (-0.5) and tied for first in stops (eight) in run defense, carrying Houston’s defensive line to 29 run stops (T-No. 1) through Week 3.

And further to PFF: He's ranked #2 among all Edge Rushers, only slightly behind Khalil Mack after 3 weeks.

By companion, the rest of the 0-3 Texans:

JD Clowney after 2 really solid years is #47 amongst Edge Defenders. (Please don't sign him to a long term deal!)

Our CBs are at #78 (Colvin) and #79 (JJo - who is now looking old)
Our Safeties are at #22 (KJax) and #24 (Mathieu) are more than respectable.
Our best LB is McKinney at #30. The rest are much lower ranked.

Our OTs are ranked at the very bottom: Davenport at #63 and Rankin at #66.
Our OGs are bad too. Fulton is the best of the lot at #39.
At C, Martin is rated #24. Not great out of 32 starters.

At WR, Fuller and Hopkins are #9 and #11.
At QB, Watson is #11.
At HB, Lamar Miller is #45.

So let's appreciate JJ...and hope he can stay healthy!
We've got a lot more work to do with this roster in the offseason....

J.J. Watt is back and here to stay
BY QUENTIN BLOUNT • HOUSTON TEXANS J.J. WATT • OCT 2, 2018
USATSI_11354552_168384674_lowres.jpg

It should come as no surprise to those around the NFL that through four weeks of the 2018 season, Houston Texans edge defender J.J. Watt is back to his dominant ways.

J.J.-1024x578.png

After two injury-riddled seasons in 2016 and 2017, there were plenty of critics who questioned whether Watt would ever play football again – let alone come back and be his old, dominant self. Well, through four weeks of the 2018 NFL season, it appears Watt has answered those critics. Among all edge defenders in the league, Watt is the second-highest graded player at the position with a mark of 90.9. He is currently tied for first in sacks (6) among edge defenders and is fifth in total pressures (19) through the first four games.

Despite his overall success, Watt got off to a slow start to the season, logging just five total pressures in Weeks 1 and 2. Of course, he has since turned things around, as Watt recorded nine pressures (six hurries, three hits) and five sacks in just the past two weeks. He now ranks ninth in pass-rush productivity (8.6) largely because of his recent efforts.

However, while Donald narrowly edges out Watt for our best overall single-season defensive interior grade, when you compare the best four-year stretch of their careers (Watt 2012-2015; Donald 2014-2017), the case can be made that not only has Watt been more dominant than Donald when healthy, he has been way more dominant – which is hard to believe. During those four-year stretches, Watt produced 372 quarterback pressures to Aaron Donald’s 295 (in other words, almost a full season’s worth of pressures).

JJ-1024x576.jpg

Since we have already compared two of the most dominant defensive players of this generation, we may as well continue the trend. In another telling statistic, Watt was named the top player in our PFF Top 101 series in three consecutive years – 2012-14 (the only player to ever do so), while Donald has been named the top player twice (2015, 2017) – not bad in his own right.

Watt in his prime completely redefined what we believed possible at the position. And while, of course, it will be extremely difficult to replicate the kind of game-breaking numbers he has put up in seasons past, should he stay healthy, he will likely leave us shaking our heads in wonder yet again. The scary part is that Watt – despite all he’s already accomplished – is still improving and building upon his already ludicrous numbers.

At his best, Watt is arguably the most destructive interior defender in all of football, and while we may not see him play at the same level he once did, he’s still a wonder to behold when he’s near his best. Let’s all cherish the time that he remains on a football field – it won’t be long before we’re talking about Watt as one of the greatest players the game has ever seen.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-jj-watt-is-back-and-here-to-stay

Agree with both TexansBull and SteelB's comments above - but we know from experience (I'm looking at you Aaron frickin Rodgers) that QB's are the darlings of league awards Luck will win comeback player of the year.

It's pretty simple: Luck will win comeback player of the year because a) he's having a better season than JJ Watt is, and b) he came back from a much more severe injury. 2018 NFL comeback player of the year is as obvious as it's ever been.

If you think JJ Watt should win comeback player of the year over Andrew Luck, you are the homerist of all homers.

It's pretty simple: Luck will win comeback player of the year because a) he's having a better season than JJ Watt is, and b) he came back from a much more severe injury. 2018 NFL comeback player of the year is as obvious as it's ever been.

If you think JJ Watt should win comeback player of the year over Andrew Luck, you are the homerist of all homers.

lol even though QB has to think more with DE position you have work 100x harder to get back to shape. Also you have to move more and push and pull 300+ pounds oline. just because you impact overall game more as qb doesn't mean he deserves it. that award goes to JJ no question. luck can go cry in the corner.

Says you?

Umm.. no you're not. That's just some stupid crap that you believe.

First of all, Watt's injuries were just as severe if not more severe than Luck's. Nobody expected this out of Watt and he's having just as good of a season as Luck.

This is one of those years..and the league has done it before so it's not unprecedented where there should be Co-award winners. Like McNair and Manning were. Everybody thought both of these guys were done.

Last edited:
but who is the GM going to keep tho JJ or CLowney ..????

tbo I always wanted some way some how to have all the Watts play on the same team in Houston LOL

6 forced funbles. There are DLmen who have whole careers with 6 ff. 15 sacks, god knows how many hits & rushes oh and 17 tackles for a loss. Despite the refs allowing people to maul him. Yeah, he's done.

He and Aaron Donald are HoF in the making.

Umm.. no you're not. That's just some stupid crap that you believe.

First of all, Watt's injuries were just as severe if not more severe than Luck's. Nobody expected this out of Watt and he's having just as good of a season as Luck.

This is one of those years..and the league has done it before so it's not unprecedented where there should be Co-award winners. Like McNair and Manning were. Everybody thought both of these guys were done.

I made a post, and there were others, that said JJ was finished as a Star Player. I am so glad to see I was wrong. He is still among the Best.

Not even in the making. JJ Watt is a HOF in waiting. If he walked off the field tomorrow, I don't even think it's a question as to first ballot.

I know this is a while back but JJ still reminds me of Bob Lilly. Evil around here, the original Cowboy. The swim move is identical.

They're both gangly.

Trivia, the only person to win SB MVP from a losing team? Chuck Howley. The Bears thought he was a bust and then he became a perennial all pro for Dallas. Went like 225 lbs. That's a safety now. But he was LB. Landry played people where effective. Randy White was 255 lbs. Best DT around. The Manster. He was just mean. Drafted to be a LB then moved to DT. That just doesn't happen.

Landry disliked Dorsett at 1st. Wouldn't run the designed play. And then he realized TD was going to be TD. Told the OL, just hit someone and TD will go. Also below average size at 190 lbs. Prettiest runner. I know that is strange but he was a long striding pretty.

And I've worn out my welcome as a Cowboys fan.

Don't know about the Oilers. The Cowboys played rough. You had the Manster. Cliff Harris was Captain Crash. Dude lived to hit. Both teams seam like they play paddycake now. JJ, Kjo and JJo are the only ones hitting. Cliff Harris ran thru people. It was ugly. Charlie Waters said half his INTs came off people being scared of Cliff.

The Doomsday Defense against The Steel Curtain. Beautiful to watch.

I know this is a while back but JJ still reminds me of Bob Lilly. Evil around here, the original Cowboy. The swim move is identical.

They're both gangly.

Trivia, the only person to win SB MVP from a losing team? Chuck Howley. The Bears thought he was a bust and then he became a perennial all pro for Dallas. Went like 225 lbs. That's a safety now. But he was LB. Landry played people where effective. Randy White was 255 lbs. Best DT around. The Manster. He was just mean. Drafted to be a LB then moved to DT. That just doesn't happen.

Landry disliked Dorsett at 1st. Wouldn't run the designed play. And then he realized TD was going to be TD. Told the OL, just hit someone and TD will go. Also below average size at 190 lbs. Prettiest runner. I know that is strange but he was a long striding pretty.

I was always a big fan of Bob Lilly....class act.

Don't know about the Oilers. The Cowboys played rough. You had the Manster. Cliff Harris was Captain Crash. Dude lived to hit. Both teams seam like they play paddycake now. JJ, Kjo and JJo are the only ones hitting. Cliff Harris ran thru people. It was ugly. Charlie Waters said half his INTs came off people being scared of Cliff.

The Doomsday Defense against The Steel Curtain. Beautiful to watch.

Earl the Pearl says 'hi' .. Dr. Doom says 'hi' .. Elvin Bethea was a bad man on the field .. Ray Childress says 'howdy' .. Sean Jones had a mean streak .. Al Smith was tough .. Obviously Munch and Bruce were nasty .. Chuck Cecil was a maniac, but he only played here for final year 95? .. Lorenzo White had the biggest damn legs ive ever seen on a football player and he was an asshole. I dont have much recollection of 60-70s Oiler football to compare smallish football players between the teams. Maybe someone else could chime in.

Earl the Pearl says 'hi' .. Dr. Doom says 'hi' .. Elvin Bethea was a bad man on the field .. Ray Childress says 'howdy' .. Sean Jones had a mean streak .. Al Smith was tough .. Obviously Munch and Bruce were nasty .. Chuck Cecil was a maniac, but he only played here for final year 95? .. Lorenzo White had the biggest damn legs ive ever seen on a football player and he was an asshole. I dont have much recollection of 60-70s Oiler football to compare smallish football players between the teams. Maybe someone else could chime in.

Not exactly smallish, but Curley Culp, Kenny Burrough also say hi

As I said, I rooted for the Oilers but didn't follow.

Robert Newhouse had the biggest thighs. Even Earl would go "damn." Back in the day when 3rd & 3 was a run.

I'm sure there are great Oilers. I grew up Cowboy. And then I turned Texan.

I cant believe I forgot about Pastorini .. Dan the Man! .. dude was tough as nails considering the abuse he took .. guy had to wear a flak jacket to some games due to all the injuries and the abusive defensive style that was advocated in those days.

I cant believe I forgot about Pastorini .. Dan the Man! .. dude was tough as nails considering the abuse he took .. guy had to wear a flak jacket to some games due to all the injuries and the abusive defensive style that was advocated in those days.

They invented the football version of 'flak jacket' for him when he had busted ribs but was going to play anyhow

Lorenzo White had the biggest damn legs ive ever seen on a football player

Robert Newhouse had the biggest thighs. Even Earl would go "damn."
I met Earl in Austin in the early 90's. Dude had ham hocks for hands, just engulfed mine. And I'm not little. He was wearing a suit. Dude's tailor needed a remedial for the pants....good Lord his thighs were tree trunks. Just huge! Nice guy, although it was hard to understand him with half a can of skoal in his bottom lip.

I grew up watching the Cowboys as well as the Oilers. Was always an Oiler fan first, because ... wel, when your first exposure to football is watching Earl Campbell bust people's asses, that just pumps you up like nothing else. The nergy around those LYB teams was like nothing I've experienced since. But I definitely had an appreciation for the Cowboys teams of the late '70s through the '80s. I liked a lot of their players. It wasn't until I grew older that I began to dislike Dallas (not necessarily the Cowboys) and it wasn't until the '90s Cowboys were snorting the hashmarks and dicing each other up with scissors that I really started disliking the Cowboys.

But yeah, I liked a lot of the players back then. Everson Walls was an amazing CB, in my book. Liked Butch Johnson, mostly for his corny TD celebration LOL. Liked TD and Pearson and Hill, of course, and I will occasionally be baited into an argument where I defend Danny White. And that defense was just suffocating. The '80s was a really strong era for the NFC. In a lot of ways, those Danny White led teams were like the LYB era Oilers - just kept running up against the wrong teams at the wrong times. For the Oilers, it was the Steelers and Raiders, for the Cowboys, it was the 49ers and Redskins, and to a lesser extent, the Giants.

I grew up watching the Cowboys as well as the Oilers. Was always an Oiler fan first, because ... wel, when your first exposure to football is watching Earl Campbell bust people's asses, that just pumps you up like nothing else. The nergy around those LYB teams was like nothing I've experienced since. But I definitely had an appreciation for the Cowboys teams of the late '70s through the '80s. I liked a lot of their players. It wasn't until I grew older that I began to dislike Dallas (not necessarily the Cowboys) and it wasn't until the '90s Cowboys were snorting the hashmarks and dicing each other up with scissors that I really started disliking the Cowboys.

But yeah, I liked a lot of the players back then. Everson Walls was an amazing CB, in my book. Liked Butch Johnson, mostly for his corny TD celebration LOL. Liked TD and Pearson and Hill, of course, and I will occasionally be baited into an argument where I defend Danny White. And that defense was just suffocating. The '80s was a really strong era for the NFC. In a lot of ways, those Danny White led teams were like the LYB era Oilers - just kept running up against the wrong teams at the wrong times. For the Oilers, it was the Steelers and Raiders, for the Cowboys, it was the 49ers and Redskins, and to a lesser extent, the Giants.

Everson went to my HS. Little dude killled. Most athletic around. He'd jump. It was crazy.

My mom taught him. As a senior he was sick. Homecoming game he just ate. Something stupid like 6 INTs. He's one handed catching. Mom is all "that's my boy." Lol.

I have always thought the way Pastorini was introduced to the Flak Jacket was imaginative. Pastorini was in the hospital with broken ribs and two guys sneak into his room......Well here. https://books.google.com/books?id=0...=dan pastorini, hospital, flak jacket&f=false

JJ Watt finished with 16 sacks. Second in league. Tied first with forced fumbles.

What an amazing comeback.

What did Andrew Luck do? Throw a ball at a position you can’t be tackled any more without getting a flag.

**** Andrew Luck. And **** the Colts.

Go Texans. Go JJ. Ball out this Saturday.

Back