Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sounds like Cedric Benson is coming to Houston

One thing that irks me about Benson possibly coming here is, who is going to loose their training camp invite. Only 80 players can attend. How many of the invites have played by the rules and done what what was asked of them and then some. Is it going to be fair to them? This may be the NFL and a "Business" , but where do you draw the line? :hides:

i don't wanna see this dude here, he can't stay out of trouble & seems like he still can't get over the fact that he's not the man anymore. think about it, this dude has been catered to & pampered since he was in high school, then he gets drafted, sees he's not "the dude" anymore & then begins to engage in self-destructive behavior.

Furthermore, he's not a tough enough runner for me, he tries to pick his way through the line too much........

Glen earl might argue with you about this , remember last year when CB ran over Glen like a freight train ?

true DB.. I don't his style either, but I am in the "If the price is right, try it" scenario.. never know .. maybe a change of scenery can be good for him..
and only hope would be for the coaching staff to get him into gear and play at least like a #4 overall pick.. if the price is right and we don't lose anything . all I could hope for is a priest homes type of turnaroud (or similar)

One thing that irks me about Benson possibly coming here is, who is going to loose their training camp invite. Only 80 players can attend. How many of the invites have played by the rules and done what what was asked of them and then some. Is it going to be fair to them? This may be the NFL and a "Business" , but where do you draw the line? :hides:

ain't that the truth!

I think at this point, we are supposed to talk about beggars and choosers.

First of all, I don't think our situation is that bad.

Ahman Green, & Chris Brown have proven they can be very productive, when healthy. I don't believe Benson has proven that he can be as effective as Chris Taylor, or Darius Walker at this level.

Cedric Benson has done nothing at the NFL level.

That said, I do believe Kubiak had a bit of a reputation in Denver for turning zeroes into heroes at the running back position.

As a side note, I know if I were Cedric Benson, and I got cut from the Bears, and I was in the Houston area, I'd probably say that I was closest to a deal with the Texans.

If I were in Dallas, I'd say I was closest to a deal with the Cowboys.

If I were in Oakland, I'd say I was closest to a deal with the Texans... well, you know what I mean.

Clearly, you have to learn from your mistakes. But you also can't overlearn from them.

You would like to see a running back show more despite a crap offense. But there have also been situations where running backs produce poorly for one offense and good for other ones and vice versa.

The Texans like lots of legs for camp. Kubiak got crushed in his first year with the situation that they had at running back--he thought he would have DD, he thought his young players would produce more, and that didn't work out so well. He hoped to get more from Green last year and that didn't work out so well.

I have no problem giving anyone a look as long as the initial cost is minimal. I'm sure we'd be offering Ced virtually nothing in the way of guarantees/bonuses. The only cost then has to do with awarding him one of the 80 precious spots that we have for training camp. I have not crunched the numbers, but Smithiak believe we can comfortably bring Ced, Green, Brown, Slaton, Taylor and Walker to the party, then by all means.

Kubes certainly has had buzzard's luck on RBs in his two years here, so I dont' begrudge his efforts to find a solution. But it has to be done in a way that imparts to Benson that he's not getting a job unless he works his ever-loving tail off and keeps his mouth shut tight.

I have no problem giving anyone a look as long as the initial cost is minimal. I'm sure we'd be offering Ced virtually nothing in the way of guarantees/bonuses. The only cost then has to do with awarding him one of the 80 precious spots that we have for training camp. I have not crunched the numbers, but Smithiak believe we can comfortably bring Ced, Green, Brown, Slaton, Taylor and Walker to the party, then by all means.

Kubes certainly has had buzzard's luck on RBs in his two years here, so I dont' begrudge his efforts to find a solution. But it has to be done in a way that imparts to Benson that he's not getting a job unless he works his ever-loving tail off and keeps his mouth shut tight.

I am sure they would go with an incentive laced or performance based contract.. at least the Smith, he seems to make smart decisions compared to uhhh... the other GM uhhh...sorry therapy and hypnosis had me blank his name out

One thing that irks me about Benson possibly coming here is, who is going to lose their training camp invite. Only 80 players can attend. How many of the invites have played by the rules and done what what was asked of them and then some. Is it going to be fair to them? This may be the NFL and a "Business" , but where do you draw the line? :hides:

I do feel for some, but most invites aren't going to make it anyway.. sad part of NFL.. and if some make it, it is ST that they go, or they are going on ST .. not many Bill Bates come out of invities. Benson has the talent, just has to work at being an NFL runningback

some talk about his work ethic.. I almost would like to see what our coaches could do for the guy... not sure but I wonder what some thought of travis johnson and the talk that he got from the coaches before camp kinda motivated him.. I am hoping if lightening could strike twice and (again if the price is right) motivate Benson... but this is a rumor and I doubt anything comes out of it, but great talk during this slow time of the year

4 pages of benson speculation???

It's just a pipe dream for him, and it ain't gonna happen.

The only way Benson is at any Texans games next year will be if he is TAILGATING in the parking lot with the rest of us. After all, that is where all the liquor and beer is. :thisbig:

4 pages of benson speculation???

It's just a pipe dream for him, and it ain't gonna happen.

The only way Benson is at any Texans games next year will be if he is TAILGATING in the parking lot with the rest of us. After all, that is where all the liquor and beer is. :thisbig:

LOL a hundred times!!!!!!!

some will be happy in the austin area.. boat rides and if i recall a couple of cute ladies on that thing :specnatz:

... Cedric Benson is a client at a place were I work and he was just in today. He was talking about the teams that he is talking with and the one that is closest to reaching a deal is Houston Texans. So what do you think.:thisbig:
What I think is that someone was drunk.

...As a side note, I know if I were Cedric Benson, and I got cut from the Bears, and I was in the Houston area, I'd probably say that I was closest to a deal with the Texans...

Exactly, what do you expect him to say "None of the teams are stupid enough to take on a pathetic loser like me. Say could you come down to my car and blow into a tube for me?"

Example:

Thomas Jones.

Sucked horribly at AZ. Pretty damn good at CHI. Mediocore at NYJ.

---

Whats the worst that could happen? He signs, gets busted DUI and gets cut? Not like we're going to through LT money at him. More like Ron Dayne money.

Whats the worst that could happen? He signs, gets busted DUI and gets cut? Not like we're going to through LT money at him. More like Ron Dayne money.

Right. I don't see where signing Ced would be crossing a stark line. He's made mistakes but his mistakes haven't been violent or really ugly, like say punching a stripper for instance...

...Cedric Benson is a client at a place were I work and he was just in today.

Liquor store or pot house?

Couldn't resist. Sorry, man.

BTW...I have no problem with Ced trying out for the team. If we made Ron Dayne a decent RB in our system, and Ced is dedicated to playing hard, then it might turn out OK.

...It shows that he's irresponsible, immature, and really, really stupid.

sounds like alot of the guys coming out of this football program here in austin. seems to always translate pretty well in the NFL.

and on that note, sure, bring him in. wtf. it just means we have to cut these five guys:

zgonina
spencer
one of those WR's that aren't David Anderson or Harry Williams
one of those safeties that are 12 year vets... Ferguson i think
Salaam or Fry or Butler or White or Eslinger

it's not hard to think that his risk is any more unknown than these guys productivity. (other than Salaam. i think you know exactly what you get with him. oh, and zgonina, you know that he'll be doin' the flannigan. 7 yards back from the line of scrimmage on his back.)

for no money of course.

I'll be surprised if anyone signs Benson before Training Camp begins. I expect he probably won't be signed until around the time that his 4 game suspension is up, unless of course some team has their RB corps depleted by injuries.

This possibility is really intriguing if Benson is actually a fit for our ZBS,
which I don't know because I just don't know much about Benson, his running style, physical attributes, etc ?
For openers it would obviously be tough for him to get past the seagent-at-arms at the front door, Bob McNair. And you know he's a perfect candidate for the Cowboys, but since they are already sitting with a full-house at running back there's not room up there.
We are probably in better shape at running back than for some time, but really that's may not be saying too much ? If he'd be cheap enough and wants to really remain in Texas, it's unlikely but who knows for sure ?

I tend to agree with this take of trusting our HC and front office.

But, the part that bugs me is what Lucky said...

Beyond the 4 game suspension, which is already a quarter of the season, I'd be concerned about a potential relapse of the old CB and the distractions that creates for this team. I'm not convinced that this is a strong enough locker room with enough team leaders to prevent a problem situation with one player from infecting the team atmosphere.

The first part is a good point. Some folks just seem incorrigible, which is obviously a perspective, but even so, it's a crap shoot to hope that this guy pulls his head out of his butt in order to save his career.

The second part got me wondering...doesn't Kubiak's system require a one-cut RB who can make the split decision of recognizing blocks almost the moment he's given the ball? I honestly don't know enough about CB's style, but if what you are saying is any indication, I'm just not sure if he'll be a good fit based on his running style in our system.

Don't get me wrong, he's fine if he can get monstrous holes to run through like he had @ texas, he's everything you want in a back. The problem is, when it's not there what i observed in the couple of games i watched of chicago & the superbowl, he tends to just dance behind the line instead of taking what's there & punishing the defense. Those are things that help open holes for you later in games when the defense is tired of hitting you.

Furthermore, it'd be one thing if he'd actually done something in the league thus far............He hasn't done squat since he's been in the league b/c he's always hurt or b/c he's fell out of favor with the coach; he's also got a little of the fumblitis problem too.

I just say, no thanks i'll just keep chronically hurt former pro bowler rather than this malcontent who can't leave the malibu rum alone.

Liquor store or pot house?

Couldn't resist. Sorry, man.

BTW...I have no problem with Ced trying out for the team. If we made Ron Dayne a decent RB in our system, and Ced is dedicated to playing hard, then it might turn out OK.

Boat rental place maybe?

well, based on what I hear from guys I find credible he probably is talking to the team...I hope they put something together. I mean, heck...look at Thomas Jones the bust 7th overall pick from the Cards....took him a few years to figure out that the NFL wasn't a game...it was a job. He turned into a pretty solid back after he left the team that drafted him since he always had the physical talent. Perhaps Ced can get his head in this now that he has had it taken away. Personally I hope we can sign him as long as we have a contract we can bail on if he flakes again.

well, based on what I hear from guys I find credible he probably is talking to the team...I hope they put something together. I mean, heck...look at Thomas Jones the bust 7th overall pick from the Cards....took him a few years to figure out that the NFL wasn't a game...it was a job. He turned into a pretty solid back after he left the team that drafted him since he always had the physical talent. Perhaps Ced can get his head in this now that he has had it taken away. Personally I hope we can sign him as long as we have a contract we can bail on if he flakes again.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#dt-tab-set-1:dt-by-team/team-chi

Well suited to play left tackle, (Chris) Williams should provide an upgrade to a unit that struggled in 2007

Chicago followed the Williams pick by selecting two flyer's on a G and RT in the seventh. beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder here. He was way over weight last year and acted like a guy trying to get run out of town.

I believe the "talks" part. Just Smith being...through. The incident on the lake was dubious at best. It's hard for an old cat to change his spots. If this guy was setting up Free agency in an uncapped year, he might be the smartest cat in the tree. If he is just a knuckle head acting out, we'd be better served to leave him alone. The only question I have 'bout the guy: can the guy help us sweep the division?

I don't know about you but I'm tired of getting feed a you know what sandwich by PM every year and having Dungy come on afterwards talking about what a great team the Texans were. I wanna see Dungy so mad after a Texans game he has tears in his eyes and he is madder than a wet hen. I can forgive a lot at 11-5 with home field advantage under our belts.

Agreed.

I think that there is no way they could have done something like this in Kubiak's first year, because the locker room was a mess. There were a number of players with the Texans that didn't know how to prepare like pros.

Kubiak has this lockerroom going the right direction and has enough vets on the team to control players like this.

Clearly out of all the situations in the league, I really do think the Texans one would be best for him--opportunity, system (especially with Gibbs), close to home and UT fans that will give him a bigger break than some fans in other states, familiar faces such as K. Shanahan. He has a better chance of playing time with the Texans versus the Cowboys.

The Texans situation is a fairly "safe" environment. The Texans keep their dirty laundry in house, the media isn't that overly critical and the spotlight here isn't as intense as other places.

If the contract is structured right, it would be worth a look. (But not only does he have suspension things to worry about, there are also the BWI/DWI charges that may have consequences).

Agreed.

I think that there is no way they could have done something like this in Kubiak's first year, because the locker room was a mess. There were a number of players with the Texans that didn't know how to prepare like pros.

Kubiak has this lockerroom going the right direction and has enough vets on the team to control players like this.

Clearly out of all the situations in the league, I really do think the Texans one would be best for him--opportunity, system (especially with Gibbs), close to home and UT fans that will give him a bigger break than some fans in other states, familiar faces such as K. Shanahan. He has a better chance of playing time with the Texans versus the Cowboys.

The Texans situation is a fairly "safe" environment. The Texans keep their dirty laundry in house, the media isn't that overly critical and the spotlight here isn't as intense as other places.

If the contract is structured right, it would be worth a look. (But not only does he have suspension things to worry about, there are also the BWI/DWI charges that may have consequences).

Is this not what the suspension is for? I am drawing a blank.

If he has the two alcohol incidents on top of the suspension, certainly Goodell is going to add to the punishment.

Agreed.

i highly doubt this would happen, but my question is, if it did, who would be the odd man out at RB? kubes still talks about how we're a different offense with green on the field... no way we cut chris brown; he's a perfect fit... slaton is a definite lock. or hell, would ced even make this team? off the field issues aside, i'm not sure he'd fit well in this scheme... he runs like jonathan wells.

i dont know if people remember.. but when he was drafted i told everyone that he didnt wanna play for the bears.. and i could see it in his face that he was upset that he went to the bears.... and EVERYONE hounded on me for it.... anyone think that he was lazy because he didnt wanna play for them??? i wouldnt mind him in Houston.. see if he can get his step back

i highly doubt this would happen, but my question is, if it did, who would be the odd man out at RB? kubes still talks about how we're a different offense with green on the field... no way we cut chris brown; he's a perfect fit... slaton is a definite lock. or hell, would ced even make this team? off the field issues aside, i'm not sure he'd fit well in this scheme... he runs like jonathan wells.
you let camp decide who is the odd man out. Just like in the old days....and he has tons more talent than JW. Wells ran like Stacey Mack. Benson runs more like a poor mans Stephen Davis.

you let camp decide who is the odd man out. Just like in the old days....and he has tons more talent than JW. Wells ran like Stacey Mack. Benson runs more like a poor mans Stephen Davis.

agreed vinny...This is about competition.. better the competiton the better the team is going to be (obviously)..odd man out .. well another team will pick them up if they are that good (being alot is worried about odd man out)

Is this not what the suspension is for? I am drawing a blank.

If he has the two alcohol incidents on top of the suspension, certainly Goodell is going to add to the punishment.

Not that I can speak for her, but she may mean that he could end up with jail time on top of the NFL suspension for the charges. One punishment being work related and the other being because of being convicted in a court of law.

Not sure I see him that way. Always seemed to be a bit slow footed to me. I didn't like his game when he came out of college and now with all the other stuff, like him even less. Guess that's why they have horse races. If everyone agreed who would win....there would be no need to run them. The guys that get paid a boatload of money to see him correctly will make the call and they have been pretty darn good at it, so if they do it I'm OK with it.

Not sure I see him that way. Always seemed to be a bit slow footed to me. I didn't like his game when he came out of college and now with all the other stuff, like him even less. Guess that's why they have horse races. If everyone agreed who would win....there would be no need to run them. The guys that get paid a boatload of money to see him correctly will make the call and they have been pretty darn good at it, so if they do it I'm OK with it.

turn down the music, but you can see here in some runs from last season that he has more talent than Ron Dayne and can probably be a good short yardage back if nothing else. It took Steven Davis 4 years before he became as productive as he eventually got. He wasn't a speed burner either but for a 3 year stretch there was nobody better than him running the ball in the league at one time. Just food for thought.

Perhaps Ced can get his head in this now that he has had it taken away. Personally I hope we can sign him as long as we have a contract we can bail on if he flakes again.
If the Texans are going to handout 2nd chances for wayward RBs, I'd rather see the Texans give one to Travis Henry. At least he's proven he can get the job done, during different points in his career. Benson hasn't shown anything since entering the league. I mean Ron Dayne has out rushed Benson over the past 2 seasons.

I agree with that sentiment. However, what can he show in preseason/training camp that can mitigate his performance and behavior the past 6 seasons (college and pro) enough to justify the cutting of at least one of these guys : Slaton, CTaylor, AGreen, CBrown?

If the Texans are going to handout 2nd chances for wayward RBs, I'd rather see the Texans give one to Travis Henry. At least he's proven he can get the job done, during different points in his career. Benson hasn't shown anything since entering the league. I mean Ron Dayne has out rushed Benson over the past 2 seasons.

I was a big fan of THenry as a RB in Buffalo and even since then. However, a guy with 9? illegitimate children... He simply is an incredibly irresponsible man that deserves nothing but disrespect. I want nothing to do with the guy!

I agree with that sentiment. However, what can he show in preseason/training camp that can mitigate his performance and behavior the past 6 seasons (college and pro) enough to justify the cutting of at least one of these guys : Slaton, CTaylor, AGreen, CBrown?

new scenery, different attitude (possibly) ... getting released and getting into trouble can do one of two things, wake him up and straighten him out or he continues to underachieve and will be a footnote in the NFL draft.

I remember Benson playing in High School. He is a straight-ahead runner, nothing else. He's basically a poor man's Ricky Williams, without the catching ability.

And his drug of choice is legal.

Keep the following in mind.

Slaton is a rookie and he's going to make the team. Brown is one of our higher profile free agent signings (to the extent that you can say that about Chris Brown) and he's more than likely going to make the team.

Barring freak accidents/injuries and the possibility that Slaton just busts outright those two are probably locks to make the team. That leaves Chris Taylor and Ahman Green. Hold that thought.

Now think of what the world thinks of Cedric Benson right now. They think he's an alcoholic bum who never panned out and never will pan out in the NFL. They think he's an irresponsible brat. Forget about whether it's true or not and whether he can be salvaged or not. That's something that Smith, Kubiak, & Associates will decide in camp. Just consider that the widely held opinion of Benson is not good (as evidenced by many comments in this thread).

Now consider that if either Taylor or Green gets beat out of a job by Benson they'll be assumed by many to be a has-been (Green) and a never-was (Taylor). Sure each of them might go on to another team and contribute or at least get a look but it's entirely possible that they could both be out of football until the injuries start happening if not longer. Shawn Alexander can't get a job right now so what makes anyone think that Ahman Green coming off a season where he spent most of his time in injured reserve is going to be snapped up the minute Cedric "Set em' up" Benson outperforms him?

If Benson can beat either one of these guys out of a job then I'd be interested in having him on the team. If he can't then he gets cut like any other low risk free agent we might sign who doesn't pan out.

I don't really know what the RB situation was in Arizona, when Thomas Jones was there. But it is my belief, that the team itself wasn't conducive to running the football. I can't remember when they had anyone to put up any numbers in Arizona.

In Chicago, they had a running back who put up back to back 1200 yard seasons, and Cedric couldn't get anything going.

He's talented, I'll give him that. From the pictures I've seen, he's kept himself in shape. The boat thing, and the DUI, DWI, whatever aren't deal breakers to me.

I'm just saying I don't see much of a reason to believe he can play in this league.

I'm agin it! He makes the offense too predictable, won't block, can't catch, he is a selfish troublemaker, so why on earth would we even want to give him a tryout?

I'm agin it! He makes the offense too predictable, won't block, can't catch, he is a selfish troublemaker, so why on earth would we even want to give him a tryout?

Well IF he were to sign and IF Alex Gibbs can't make him block, I doubt anyone can

Back