Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Steel B's Pre New Years Eve Mock 1.0

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
1. T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas, Stud that is the Texans new Vince Wilfork. Big man that moves extremely well for his size. Solves some of run game issues. Will make a great fit with Rankins/Collins.

Trade up into the top of the 2nd, say 2-45 using a 3rd/4th/7th.

2. Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU, Smooth operator, gets to top end speed in a flash. has the quickness and strengtht to beat press coverage. Everybody has Nabers as a top 15 guy I'm not sure this guy wont be the better pro WR.

2. Trey Benson RB Florida St., Big fast physical one cut RB with break away speed. Good in pass pro and has good hands. Every down RB that this team has really missed this year. Explosive

4. Rod Moore S Michigan, good coverage S and while not a physical tackler, he rarely misses tackles. If I had to trade a 2025 pick to move into the bottom of the 3rd to get this guy I would.

7. Jalyx Hunt DE Houston Christian, Fast developmental pass rusher, great 1st step. Will need to get strong to become more than a situational pass rusher.

7. Jared Wiley TE TCU, Big dude that's a strong blocker and has soft hands.

There are 4 playmakers that add badly needed speed to this team. A good blocking TE to pair with Schultz, who I bring back. Never can do wrong drafting developmental pass rushers.

Fill the LB/Edge needs in FA.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
1. T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas, Stud that is the Texans new Vince Wilfork. Big man that moves extremely well for his size. Solves some of run game issues. Will make a great fit with Rankins/Collins.

2. Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU, Smooth operator, gets to top end speed in a flash. has the quickness and strengtht to beat press coverage. Everybody has Nabers as a top 15 guy I'm not sure this guy wont be the better pro WR.

2. Trey Benson RB Florida St., Big fast physical one cut RB with break away speed. Good in pass pro and has good hands. Every down RB that this team has really missed this year. Explosive

4. Rod Moore S Michigan, good coverage S and while not a physical tackler, he rarely misses tackles. If I had to trade a 2025 pick to move into the bottom of the 3rd to get this guy I would.

7. Jalyx Hunt DE Houston Christian, Fast developmental pass rusher, great 1st step. Will need to get strong to become more than a situational pass rusher.

There are 4 playmakers that add badly needed speed to this team. A good blocking TE to pair with Schultz, who I bring back. Never can do wrong drafting developmental pass rushers.

Thoughts?
It's not reasonable to think you will get a 2 with Phili's bottom of 3rd + Cleveland's bottom of the 4th + N.O.'s mid 7th. You could trade up with our 2.

You're picking twice in the 7th when you just traded one of our two picks in that round.

I just googled and unless it was wrong, we currently have:
1st round (Cleveland)
2 (our own)
3 (Phili's)
4 (Cleveland)
4 (our own)
5 (our own)
7 (New Orleans)
7 (our own)

It's not reasonable to think you will get a 2 with Phili's bottom of 3rd + Cleveland's bottom of the 4th + N.O.'s mid 7th. You could trade up with our 2.

You're picking twice in the 7th when you just traded one of our two picks in that round.

1st round (Cleveland)
2 (our own)
3 (Phili's)
4 (Cleveland)
4 (our own)
5 (our own)
7 (New Orleans)
7 (our own)

Then I would trade both 2024 4ths. These guys are elite weapons that would finish out the offense. I really want to add Sweat/Thomas or Legette and Benson to this team. These guys are the explosive play makers the offense has been missing. Drafting Sweat (Who's a stud) allows Ryans/Caserio to focus on Edge/LB's/S in FA. You should have the cap space to add a premier Edge like Hunter, A LB like Al Shaair and a S in FA.

You can go on the higher end S like Chinn/Kyle Dugger or Mike Edwards or a lower tier S like K.J. or DeShon Elliott/Justin Evans/Rodney McCloud.

If you go high end with Chinn or Dugger they can also play the nickle LB position.

Thoughts?
Sweat: I am down with BUT I would take at 2.50 where tankathon has him. He seems to be a forward type guy like an Abrams tank but not too much to either side. That, with his skills, would not deter me too much.

Thomas: solid with great stats. Everything I see with Brian Thomas points to wide receiver one as an X. He is amazing when targeted and very good QB rating. He has high ceiling but also a high floor. He needs to run a solid 4.4 at the combine. I just like Troy Franklin better round 2 and a CB like Terrion Arnold is better than Sweat for our future imo.

Trey Benson: a good pick but I am not giving up pics to move up in round two for him. If Treveyon Henderson comes out and I think he will, he would be the perfect fit reuniting with his former quarterback. Henderson is a quality receiver on the outside and could allow us to not draft a wide receiver.

If your mock were to go down top three selections, I would be okay with it.

Good work!

1st round (Cleveland)
2 (our own)
3 (Phili's)
4 (Cleveland)
4 (our own)
5 (our own)
7 (New Orleans)
7 (our own)
Hmm. I thought we had three sevens. No round 5

Sweat: I am down with BUT I would take at 2.50 where tankathon has him. He seems to be a forward type guy like an Abrams tank but not too much to either side. That, with his skills, would not deter me too much.

Thomas: solid with great stats. Everything I see with Brian Thomas points to wide receiver one as an X. He is amazing when targeted and very good QB rating. He has high ceiling but also a high floor. He needs to run a solid 4.4 at the combine. I just like Troy Franklin better round 2 and a CB like Terrion Arnold is better than Sweat for our future imo.

Trey Benson: a good pick but I am not giving up pics to move up in round two for him. If Treveyon Henderson comes out and I think he will, he would be the perfect fit reuniting with his former quarterback. Henderson is a quality receiver on the outside and could allow us to not draft a wide receiver.

If your mock were to go down top three selections, I would be okay with it.

Good work!
Thanks, If you want Sweat, you will need to pick him in the late first or early 2nd.

Benson is the best RB in this draft IMHO

Best IDL and RB in the draft. Plus a wr that's as talented as any wr not named Harrison in this draft. Top tier talent is what I'm looking for. I like Henderson, but he's had injury issues and isn't a short yardage type guy. If I want to draft a guy like Henderson I'm staying put and drafting Irving in the 3rd.

1st round (Cleveland)
2 (our own)
3 (Phili's)
4 (Cleveland)
4 (our own)
5 (our own)
7 (New Orleans)
7 (our own)

They have three 7ths.

No 5th traded for either Josh Jones or Kendrick Green. One was acquired for a 5th the other for a 6th.

They have three 7ths.

No 5th traded for either Josh Jones or Kendrick Green. One was acquired for a 5th the other for a 6th.
We'll see. I find the 3 7's is dated in August. My 2 7's is from Dec 24. But I just now googled a third time and from Dec 3 find we have only 6 selections total with only 1 seven and no 5. I think Caserio has been wheeling and dealing so everyone is confused and no one knows, right now, what we have.

We'll see. I find the 3 7's is dated in August. My 2 7's is from Dec 24. But I just now googled a third time and from Dec 3 find we have only 6 selections total with only 1 seven and no 5. I think Caserio has been wheeling and dealing so everyone is confused and no one knows, right now, what we have.
1703986206157.png

Thoughts?
Nice job. Haven't looked at most of the guys on your list but T Sweat would be a fine addition and Benson will bring a new dimension to our run game. I think he will be the best RB in this class.

Last edited:
View attachment 13305
So I now have three different sites (ProFootball Network, Sportsnaut, and Tankathon) with three different draft selections, all supposedly current. Until I see something official from the NFL, or the Texans, I think I'll keep an open mind.

I think Brian Thomas is going a lot higher than people think. I’ve seen several analysts mocking him into the 1st round.
I think he goes between 25-45.

I also like Legette and think he goes somewhere in that range.

Thomas has as good a chance of being a star level wr as Nabers does. The reason I like Legette so much is he reminds me of AJ. Big fast dude that breaks a lot of tackles. Like AJ, Legette needs to learn the route tree, but that can be taught.

Thomas is pro ready and reminds me a little bit of Diggs.

I could see either one of these guys going to the Chiefs in rd 1.

Thomas has as good a chance of being a star level wr as Nabers does. The reason I like Legette so much is he reminds me of AJ. Big fast dude that breaks a lot of tackles. Like AJ, Legette needs to learn the route tree, but that can be taught.

If the Texans could land a Chris Jones/ Ta'Vondre Sweat type along with a La'Jarius Sneed type then I wouldn't care who else added who

If the Texans could land a Chris Jones/ Ta'Vondre Sweat type along with a La'Jarius Sneed type then I wouldn't care who else added who
They have the cash to do this, but it might mean having to let guys like Rankins/Schultz/Nelson walk.

Reactions: JB

2-45 will probably be too late to get Thomas. I could see the Chiefs taking him in rd 1 or the Panthers taking him at the top of rd 2

If the Texans are going to overpay for players,now is the time. Im really starting to like Sweat especially in the backend of rd one. Ive been watching some safeties and cbs I think might be a higher priority. That could just be me though.When you have high end safety play, your cbs don't have to be great, just good.

If the Texans are going to overpay for players,now is the time. Im really starting to like Sweat especially in the backend of rd one. Ive been watching some safeties and cbs I think might be a higher priority. That could just be me though.When you have high end safety play, your cbs don't have to be great, just good.
My dream is that they pay what ever it takes to sign Chris Jones and then draft Sweat in Rd 1

I like S Tyler Nuban Minnesota. He’s well rounded and doesn’t miss a lot of tackles.

So I now have three different sites (ProFootball Network, Sportsnaut, and Tankathon) with three different draft selections, all supposedly current. Until I see something official from the NFL, or the Texans, I think I'll keep an open mind.
you might want to look up the trades that Nick Caserio made with a 2024 draft picks

Do we need to use a second round for a backup running back if we extend Singletary 80 yards at 5 per todaym

If Nico Collins at 71 for 1102 17.5 and 7 TDs with Colts left is not a WR1, I don't know what to say. Alabama's Jermaine Burton a very good wide receiver that I would like to see Catching from JC Stroud appears to be available in late round 3.

Tankathon.com has Texans selecting Sweat round 2 and before this round of games, Brian Thomas at our round 1 until we fell further down the draft order.
This may be the most interesting draft we've had in a couple of years.

Do we need to use a second round for a backup running back if we extend Singletary 80 yards at 5 per todaym

If Nico Collins at 71 for 1102 17.5 and 7 TDs with Colts left is not a WR1, I don't know what to say. Alabama's Jermaine Burton a very good wide receiver that I would like to see Catching from JC Stroud appears to be available in late round 3.

Tankathon.com has Texans selecting Sweat round 2 and before this round of games, Brian Thomas at our round 1 until we fell further down the draft order.
Hard to top last year's...

Hard to top last year's...
I thought about that before I posted however I describe 2023 draft as exciting with the trade up to get Anderson. This one will be more interesting to me and how Caserio moves.
1.2 and needing a franchise QB? Duh.
The trade up from 12 to get Sir William did not become interesting until after the fact. But I definitely am not going to argue it was a great draft and I hope 2024 has us talking about it in the same way.

I thought about that before I posted however I describe 2023 draft as exciting with the trade up to get Anderson. This one will be more interesting to me and how Caserio moves.
1.2 and needing a franchise QB? Duh.
The trade up from 12 to get Sir William did not become interesting until after the fact. But I definitely am not going to argue it was a great draft and I hope 2024 has us talking about it in the same way.
Yeah I hear ya but we had two firsts in that one and our first in this one is way down the board.
I am interested to see if Carstereo can make another bold move up the board to snag a primo pick tho!

As will always be the case……Combine sub 4.4-40 is what moves solid WR’s into RD1. So we’ll have to wait and see how many receivers crack the 4.4 sound barrier. It will be interesting to see if Leggett nails a 4.37-40 or better. If he does, it could propel him up in RD1.

He plays with very disciplined eyes too. Great in coverage which is needed. Now if you want a big physical run and hit guy, Williams from Miami is the guy. He's alot like Kam Chancellor

Watch out for Utah SS, Cole Bishop (6-2 @ 207 lbs). He can play deep and in the box. Packs a big punch and has a strong football IQ. Very athletic with loose hips.

As will always be the case……Combine sub 4.4-40 is what moves solid WR’s into RD1. So we’ll have to wait and see how many receivers crack the 4.4 sound barrier. It will be interesting to see if Leggett nails a 4.37-40 or better. If he does, it could propel him up in RD1.
I bet he runs in the 4.3's.

With so many WR's in this draft some will fall into the 2nd. If Caserio doesn't draft one in rd 1, then Caserio will probably have to trade up to get the 1 or 2 top WR's that probably fall. However Caserio could sit still and get a guy like Burton or McConkey in the 3rd. I would really hope that Caserio would spend the draft capital to get a true game changer like Odunze/Thomas/Legette.

1-031: WR- Xavier Leggett (South Carolina)
2-051: LB- Jaylan Ford (Texas) MLB
3-080: SS- Cole Bishop (Utah)
3-091: WR- Johnny Wilson (Florida State) +5-7lbs = TE/H-Back
4-114: RB- Jaylen Wright (Tennessee)
5-160: OT- Roger Rosegarten (Washington)
6-172: CB- Jaylin Simpson (Auburn)

DL gets addressed in FA.
Leggett brings legit speed and size to take the top off defenses.
Wright brings speed to the position. I hate to link it, but he might be another Arian Foster in the making.
I’m going to tinker here….Wilson adds another 5-7 lbs and becomes a true weapon for Stroud by lining up with Schultz as a TE or H-Back.
Ford and Bishop shore up the middle of the defense. Simpson would be solid in the rotation at CB.
Rosegarten represents a solid OT that could benefit from a season behind Tunsil and Howard.

Last edited:
1-031: WR- Xavier Leggett (South Carolina)
2-051: LB- Jaylan Ford (Texas) MLB
3-080: SS- Cole Bishop (Utah)
3-091: WR- Johnny Wilson (Florida State) +5-7lbs = TE/H-Back
4-114: RB- Jaylen Wright (Tennessee)
5-160: OT- Roger Rosegarten (Washington)
6-172: CB- Jaylin Simpson (Auburn)

DL gets addressed in FA.
Leggett brings legit speed and size to take the top off defenses.
Wright brings speed to the position. I hate to link it, but he might be another Arian Foster in the making.
I’m going to tinker here….Wilson adds another 5-7 lbs and becomes a true weapon for Stroud by lining up with Schultz as a TE or H-Back.
Ford and Bishop shore up the middle of the defense. Simpson would be solid in the rotation at CB.
Rosegarten represents a solid OT that could benefit from a season behind Tunsil and Howard.
Like the theory, don't think Ford goes anywhere near that high. I've got him rated in the 5th rd. With Sweat and Murphy in front of him he should have been much better than he was this year. Look at the Washington game as an example was he a difference maker? He's not a bad player, but he's not a guy I would pick in the 2nd rd.

I'm looking for a bell cow RB that improves the position for the next 4-5 years. Singletary is a great complimentary back. You don't pass on a talent like Thomas or Legette because you've got Collins and Dell. You add to them. I like Thomas and Legette enough to move them ahead of Sweat.

Thomas/Dell/Collins is as good as what the 49ers have at WR.
This WR class is really deep. I wouldn't mind if they get greedy and draft two of these WR's early. Say draft Thomas/Legette in the first and then Worthy or Polk (really the WR that impressed me in Washington game against Texas). Really give Stroud some playmakers.

This WR class is really deep. I wouldn't mind if they get greedy and draft two of these WR's early. Say draft Thomas/Legette in the first and then Worthy or Polk (really the WR that impressed me in Washington game against Texas). Really give Stroud some playmakers.
I wasn’t that impressed with Worthy in the recent game versus Washington. I really like Polk though.

I like Thomas and Legette enough to move them ahead of Sweat.
Texans don't need WR help as much as they need DL help. Personal likes have to be put aside. There are lots of WR in this draft, one can be taken in the second or 3rd

Texans don't need WR help as much as they need DL help. Personal likes have to be put aside. There are lots of WR in this draft, one can be taken in the second or 3rd
I think red zone issues are biggest issue with the team. Drafting playmakers like Thomas, Benson, Stover would probably help them avg 5-7 more points per game and solve a lot of issues.

I also think if Ryans and Caserio bring back Greenard, Rankins, Tartt and Barnett they will be fine. Of course if they were to add a difference making LB, DT,S in FA that would be optimal.

Back