Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Puzzle 2023 & 2024

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I always like to use the analogy of putting a puzzle together, so I'm going to try and put this in perspective.

Most fans feel that Culley and Lovie were forced on Caserio. Not sure I agree one way or the other. They could've been nothing more than bridge coaches during the front end of the rebuild for all we know. Maybe Caserio feels like there's a better chance of landing the HC he desires once the team has gotten out of the hole while possessing the necessary assets, cap space, and a core to work with.

Contrary to some who would think Sean Payton wouldn't give the Texans the time of the day.....I think Caserio could provide an appealing team if he lands his next draft. Caserio's first real draft added some nice pieces to begin building the core. One priority I would put on the off-season is getting a veteran QB1 signed or traded for to compete with Mills in 2023.

So, I'm building this team to try and lure Sean Payton in to coach. I'm getting the defense as healthy as possible in 2023 while adding a Center and WR. Basically setting the table for the Payton and "his" staff so he and Caserio can get on the same page before the 2024 draft. Caserio should allow Payton to identify his QB1 and then get on board with his target.

If the work doesn't lure Payton to the Texans, then Caserio has at least built the team for the next Texans HC.

The Texans have put themselves in such a weird spot that it’s very hard to see what direction they actually want to go. The main issue is I still don’t know if the ownership/FO is trying to give Lovie a legitimate shot at being the head coach or if it’s another bridge situation. If they fire Lovie Black Monday then obviously we know but if they keep him I still don’t think it’ll be clear where we want to go unfortunately.

As for Peyton I think that’s a lost cause. My guess is he’s back to coaching next year he’s not waiting another year I don’t think

The Texans have put themselves in such a weird spot that it’s very hard to see what direction they actually want to go. The main issue is I still don’t know if the ownership/FO is trying to give Lovie a legitimate shot at being the head coach or if it’s another bridge situation. If they fire Lovie Black Monday then obviously we know but if they keep him I still don’t think it’ll be clear where we want to go unfortunately.

As for Peyton I think that’s a lost cause. My guess is he’s back to coaching next year he’s not waiting another year I don’t think

It's gonna cost the team desiring his services b/c he's still under his Saints contract until 2024. As for the Texans, set the table like you want to land Sean Payton and even if they don't land him.....they'd have a much better chance at a respected HC.

If Caserio really lands his 2023 NFL Draft and the team remains very competitive.....then they'll be appealing to a new HC b/c he would know they possess (2) RD1 picks in 2024 and 9 picks overall.

It's gonna cost the team desiring his services b/c he's still under his Saints contract until 2024. As for the Texans, set the table like you want to land Sean Payton and even if they don't land him.....they'd have a much better chance at a respected HC.

If Caserio really lands his 2023 NFL Draft and the team remains very competitive.....then they'll be appealing to a new HC b/c he would know they possess (2) RD1 picks in 2024 and 9 picks overall.
I think they’re gonna try and rush things honestly. I think they’re gonna get rid of Lovie (not bad) and draft a QB (bad). They’re gonna try and use this off-season to signal to the fanbase that we’re past the downhill side of this and things are on the up.

The fanbase has essentially gone into hibernation and the band aid fix for that is going to be sitting there at #1

I think they’re gonna try and rush things honestly. I think they’re gonna get rid of Lovie (not bad) and draft a QB (bad). They’re gonna try and use this off-season to signal to the fanbase that we’re past the downhill side of this and things are on the up.

The fanbase has essentially gone into hibernation and the band aid fix for that is going to be sitting there at #1

I just tried a Mock in the effort to see how close I could add the right puzzle pieces to get the defense set and a few new tools for the offense so the cup boards aren't completely bare:

RD1
Jalen Carter
DT Georgia

Noah Sewell
LB Oregon

RD2
Darnell Washington
TE Georgia

JL Skinner
S Boise State

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Zach Charbonnet
RB UCLA

RD3
Jack Campbell
LB Iowa

RD6
Ali Gaye
EDGE LSU

Gabe Hall
DT Baylor

Aki Ogunbiyi
OG Texas A&M

Ja'von Hicks
S Cincinnati

RD7
Nathaniel Dell
WR Houston

I just tried a Mock in the effort to see how close I could add the right puzzle pieces to get the defense set and a few new tools for the offense so the cup boards aren't completely bare:

RD1
Jalen Carter
DT Georgia

Noah Sewell
LB Oregon

RD2
Darnell Washington
TE Georgia

JL Skinner
S Boise State

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Zach Charbonnet
RB UCLA

RD3
Jack Campbell
LB Iowa

RD6
Ali Gaye
EDGE LSU

Gabe Hall
DT Baylor

Aki Ogunbiyi
OG Texas A&M

Ja'von Hicks
S Cincinnati

RD7
Nathaniel Dell
WR Houston
Im not into draft season just yet so I don’t know the names outside of the first and second round but I like the positions.

I think you can find better value round 1 than a linebacker however. You can find good linebackers on day 2 easier than say WR’s or pass rushers.

One thing I hope Caserio is taking a look at is the Lions having two first round picks. I don’t know how sold the Lions are on these QB’s but I wonder if a deal could be made where we swap first rounders, take their second first rounder and give up our second to give us 3 first rounders. If the Lions end up around 5-6, they really like Stroud or Young, and we get first overall I could see them being open to a move like that.

Good chance we could still get a Jalen Carter or Myles Murphy with the Lions pick then we’d probably end up having two more top 15 picks from the Browns and Rams and could just go BPA.

RD1
Jalen Carter
DT Georgia

Noah Sewell
LB Oregon

RD2
Darnell Washington
TE Georgia

JL Skinner
S Boise State

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Zach Charbonnet
RB UCLA

RD3
Jack Campbell
LB Iowa

RD6
Ali Gaye
EDGE LSU

Gabe Hall
DT Baylor

Aki Ogunbiyi
OG Texas A&M

Ja'von Hicks
S Cincinnati

RD7
Nathaniel Dell
WR Houston
How did you get 3 extra round 2 picks? Do you really think Washington falls to round 2? Would you really draft Charbonnet as high as the second? Why 2 ILB?

How did you get 3 extra round 2 picks? Do you really think Washington falls to round 2? Would you really draft Charbonnet as high as the second? Why 2 ILB?

Got out of the first pick with Seattle…..it was the best offer out of 6. I bundled picks to get back into RD2. Then I bundled picks to get back into RD3.

I truly believe Charbonnet could be as special as Pierce. He’s a bruising physical runner who definitely has the size to hit and go through those in front of him, not to mention he’s also an excellent receiver. Based on his production this season, I don’t see him making it out of RD2.

I believe Noah Sewell (Oregon / 6-2 @ 253 lbs) and Jack Campbell (Iowa / 6-5 @ 246 lbs) are downhill movers who hit with absolute brutal force. I believe either guy could move to the Strong side b/c of their athleticism. Me, I think Sewell could make the move to SLB b/c he’s the better athlete. Campbell would be big enough to take on OL and still fall back and be disruptive in the passing lanes. SLB: Sewell / MLB: Campbell / WLB: Harris. I believe this group would help the Texans immensely in stopping the run game. Texans would finally have big, athletic, trio of fierce hitters in the middle of this defense.

I truly believe Charbonnet could be as special as Pierce. He’s a bruising physical runner who definitely has the size to hit and go through those in front of him, not to mention he’s also an excellent receiver. Based on his production this season, I don’t see him making it out of RD2.
But in another thread you just posted that you thought you could get him in round 4

I don't know if he said that, but I know I did. Charbonnet might go as high as the 3rd, but I believe he will be available in the 4th.
I guess I had confused who posted it. I do know most all of the talk I've seen of taking him was taking him in the 4th

Im not into draft season just yet so I don’t know the names outside of the first and second round but I like the positions.

I think you can find better value round 1 than a linebacker however. You can find good linebackers on day 2 easier than say WR’s or pass rushers.

One thing I hope Caserio is taking a look at is the Lions having two first round picks. I don’t know how sold the Lions are on these QB’s but I wonder if a deal could be made where we swap first rounders, take their second first rounder and give up our second to give us 3 first rounders. If the Lions end up around 5-6, they really like Stroud or Young, and we get first overall I could see them being open to a move like that.

Good chance we could still get a Jalen Carter or Myles Murphy with the Lions pick then we’d probably end up having two more top 15 picks from the Browns and Rams and could just go BPA.
You have a good idea looking at lions for a trade however your proposal is way underval for the first pick.

I always like to use the analogy of putting a puzzle together, so I'm going to try and put this in perspective.

Most fans feel that Culley and Lovie were forced on Caserio. Not sure I agree one way or the other. They could've been nothing more than bridge coaches during the front end of the rebuild for all we know. Maybe Caserio feels like there's a better chance of landing the HC he desires once the team has gotten out of the hole while possessing the necessary assets, cap space, and a core to work with.

Contrary to some who would think Sean Payton wouldn't give the Texans the time of the day.....I think Caserio could provide an appealing team if he lands his next draft. Caserio's first real draft added some nice pieces to begin building the core. One priority I would put on the off-season is getting a veteran QB1 signed or traded for to compete with Mills in 2023.

So, I'm building this team to try and lure Sean Payton in to coach. I'm getting the defense as healthy as possible in 2023 while adding a Center and WR. Basically setting the table for the Payton and "his" staff so he and Caserio can get on the same page before the 2024 draft. Caserio should allow Payton to identify his QB1 and then get on board with his target.

If the work doesn't lure Payton to the Texans, then Caserio has at least built the team for the next Texans HC.
Trying to think like the McNairs I would imagine they are going to want to have a PR bang in 2023 especially after the Astros won the World Series. That could happen with a head coach signing like Sean Peyton but I do not want them to give up two first rounds for him. Barring that they're going to have to get a team face that will encourage and excite fans. Usually that is a quarterback or a player who fans think could turn into JJ Watt or Andre johnson.

A quarterback is definitely a possibility at 1.1 but might be able to get a JJ Watt type with Tyree Wilson and Andre Johnson in Jordan Addison with a trade down. Even better if on trade down they could add Murphy.

Murphy & Wilson with trade picks and Addison with Browns.

Their own round two plus both of Detroit's would be amazing with rounds 3-7 to go.

Those 3 ones would equal Sean Payton and beat the heck out of either Young or Stroud.

Why would you want 2 of the same type of backs? That kid from Ole Miss and Achane makes more sense to me. No wr's either?

Why would you want 2 of the same type of backs? That kid from Ole Miss and Achane makes more sense to me. No wr's either?

Should create zero drop in production when either is on the field. Charbonnet is just a much bigger version of Pierce. This could give both backs the ability to stay fresh during the game while the defense has to absorb the continued punishment.

Should create zero drop in production when either is on the field. Charbonnet is just a much bigger version of Pierce. This could give both backs the ability to stay fresh during the game while the defense has to absorb the continued punishment.
IMO, you want 2 different styles of runners just like you do at the wr position. If you get 2 of the same, the gap control of the dline stays the same. If you pair an explosive ,wire to wire runner with Pierce who is more of a bruiser, then you give the defense a different look even off the same play call. Remember Ingram and Kamara? Hymes and the other back at indy? Even Chubb and the other back are different. You match Achane with Pierce like you match Nico with say Wilhite of the Vols.

You like him more than Gibbs,Achane or even Vaughn to pair with Pierce?

More than Vaughn and I really like Vaughn.

Achane is one of my favorite players in this draft. A threat to score every time he touches the ball and I see him as more of a gadget guy. A guy that could be used like McCaffery or Hill. A real weapon and I will be real surprised if he makes it to the top of the 3rd rd. Gibbs goes in the late 1st/mid 2nd rd range. IMHO

I dont think Charbonnet falls, but I see Pierce/Charbonnet as a Foster/Tate type duo. Hopefully he falls to the top of the 4th but I doubt it.

Seems like a fun thought exercise, would be a cool scenario to explore. Very unrealistic, but fun.

No way the team goes for three straight years of garbage though, even to woo Payton. The two biggest needs are QB and WR. I don't see how both aren't addressed with the No.1 and whatever the Browns' pick is. You have an unique opportunity to land your franchise QB and an elite weapon in 2023.

In 2024, if Watson plays like he should, the Browns' pick is probably going to be 20 or more, so you can't expect a high pick there. Also, by some miracle, the Texans might not suck quite as bad in 2023. Worst case would be the Texans getting a few wins and playing themselves out of the top five of the draft, losing out on the best two QBs.

Payton would be nice, but I don't see the Texans rolling the dice for him, possibly squandering the Watson trade.

I could find myself leaning heavily towards a DT, Jalen Carter (Georgia) and DE, Myles Murphy (Clemson) RD1 duo. Texans could be in a position to make it happen if the Browns don’t rebound.

If the Browns play themselves out out of the early pick range then a Carter and WR, Quentin Johnston (TCU) RD1 package would be just fine as well.

Back