Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kubiak is 61-58 as head coach of the Texans. If we go 3-6 to finish out the year, he will be 64-64, which seems fitting for his tenure here. Average is as average does.

Kubiak is 61-58 as head coach of the Texans. If we go 3-6 to finish out the year, he will be 64-64, which seems fitting for his tenure here. Average is as average does.

wow....man, how appropriate would that be?!...

:kubepalm: and 3-6 is not unrealistic!

Who watches the games on TV? It always comes back to the fans.
But because one team sucks do you think the NFL will fold? Naaah... the big mkt East Coast teams and some of the vintage teams (Vikes, Bears,
Cowboys, Pack, even the Browns, etc.) will keep the TV revenues huge and that's where they make their money.

Trust me, if all of Houston stopped going to the games and every game had to be blacked out because no one came, McNair could cash in at the end of that year and this franchise would probably head out west. Or maybe they'd be moved to Europe and be renamed the "Londoners"...

NFL wouldn't miss a beat.

But because one team sucks do you think the NFL will fold? Naaah... the big mkt East Coast teams and some of the vintage teams (Vikes, Bears,
Cowboys, Pack, even the Browns, etc.) will keep the TV revenues huge and that's where they make their money.

Trust me, if all of Houston stopped going to the games and every game had to be blacked out because no one came, McNair could cash in at the end of that year and this franchise would probably head out west. Or maybe they'd be moved to Europe and be renamed the "Londoners"...

Think about what the Bills reap just to farm out a home game a season. Trust me, the appetite to buy a NFL franchise is massive and there are deep enough pockets and governments that would love to snag a team.

Nonsense.

You truly think that if Houston, one of the wealthiest cities in the United States, were to lose its NFL team, the other NFL teams wouldn't feel it?

You are crazy, my friend.

The NFL will never, EVER, let Houston lose the NFL again.

For anyone delusional enough to think McNair hears you:

Now some might say that this is just owner speak. But that some has not been paying attention to Bob McNair for the past 11 years. He says stuff like this because he believes stuff like this.

So get out your placards and get ready to march on Kirby. It won't make a difference, of course, but you can at least have the satisfaction that you did...."something".

:toropalm: first time I saw this quote.. I just threw up a little.

However the fan's don't need to do anything, they've done all they can do... this delusional owner needs to do "something".

If Bob decides to fire Kubiak, he will scour the earth looking for someone that will take the job on the condition they have to keep Joe Marciano.

If you could have any HC on the market, who would you choose and why?

Hypothetically speaking, who would your ideal HC be?

Wade? Strong from Louisville? Any college coach? Some friends of mine have suggested Gruden, but he always looks delusional on TV

I would personally like to see us go Bill Cowher...

If you could have any HC on the market, who would you choose and why?

Hypothetically speaking, who would your ideal HC be?

Wade? Strong from Louisville? Any college coach? Some friends of mine have suggested Gruden, but he always looks delusional on TV

I would personally like to see us go Bill Cowher...

I like cowher. However, he is not a coordinator and has been away from the league for a while. So, the question to answer is: what will his staff look like? Who runs the offense? The defense? He can't poach guys from other teams unless he is promoting them... Who could he get? And can a quality staff be quickly built? Otherwise, we are looking at intense frustration until he cycles through coaches and finds the right guys... A process that could easily take 3 or 4 years... If not more.

Ummm.. No! We don't need an egocentric celebrity. He is done as a nfl coach.

Give me Jay Gruden.

Think of a more motivated Chucky, He can keep the basic structure of the WC offense. But will have more guts than Gary ever has had. I garuntee you that if Jay Gruden was the Texans HC that Coach Joe would've been fired a long time ago.

keep wade on board as d-coord and go grab kevin sumlin if keenum turns out to be half decent. if not hell, go draft johnny football and lets at least make this entertaining.

If Bob decides to fire Kubiak, he will scour the earth looking for someone that will take the job on the condition they have to keep Joe Marciano.

You overlook the frightening possibility that he decides Joe is ready for more responsibility.......

Damn! I just scared myself with that thought!

Need to get these bumper stickers made up, and hand them out at the next Texans game. Also, could be used as a sig. :cool:

ANYONYBUTKUBIAK22.jpg

I'm anticipating getting back on the Kubiak bandwagon.

If Case is as good as we hope, we might be able to put that "guru" moniker back on Kubiak.

I'm anticipating getting back on the Kubiak bandwagon.

If Case is as good as we hope, we might be able to put that "guru" moniker back on Kubiak.

I wouldn't be surprised if I back off my "fire everyone" stance either. I'd need to see improvements everywhere though. I'd need to see some serious potential from the offense and versatility (zone!) from the defense. Both would require two seemingly stubborn men to change their systems.

as others have stated, i believe kubiak's job is tied to keenum. if keenum does well, mcnair will almost have to keep kubiak to see how far we can take it, which i believe is the right call. if keenum flops, kubiak may be out with him ... which i cant argue with considering our QB play so far this year. if keenum hints at greatness though, you cant take the system away from him - keenum was built for this walsh-zone blocking-WCO.

my opinion on kubiak is well known, i'm a supporter. my feelings towards wade are exactly the same. these are the two men who i believe will lead us to multiple superbowls. what they're missing is a more heavy oversight regarding assistant coaching. they both draft well (usually), have great schemes, are among the best of teachers, and get complete effort from the players. what they lack is a higher up to make the ugly calls, and an assistant to challenge the established setting.

jay gruden's been mentioned ... i would absolutely love him as a coordinator. heck, i'd bring john back as a coordinator. the problem on offense isnt kubiak, it's that it seems to ONLY be kubiak - the same situation that got shanahan fired from denver. you cant have one man calling every shot, it cant work. wade similarly seems to have too much 'control'. i started to use the word freedom, but that would be the ideal - a more free approach within the system instead of a confined setting. our schemes most definitely can be described as boxes. we dont need someone thinking outside of it, we just need a couple guys who are willing to round it out and poke the edges a little bit.

i think keenum is about to remind us why we hired kubiak though. kubiak and wade seem to have caught the dom capers disease - we're struggling, dumb it down and play cautious and keep it close. this is i believe why wade's defenses have a tendency to regress, he perfects and cleans instead of finding new edges. keenum is a license to "let 'er rip" that we havent seen in quite a while.

edit: i'm so repetitive when i drink

Last edited:
as others have stated, i believe kubiak's job is tied to keenum. if keenum does well, mcnair will almost have to keep kubiak to see how far we can take it, which i believe is the right call. if keenum flops, kubiak may be out with him ... which i cant argue with considering our QB play so far this year. if keenum hints at greatness though, you cant take the system away from him - keenum was built for this walsh-zone blocking-WCO.

my opinion on kubiak is well known, i'm a supporter. my feelings towards wade are exactly the same. these are the two men who i believe will lead us to multiple superbowls. what they're missing is a more heavy oversight regarding assistant coaching. they both draft well (usually), have great schemes, are among the best of teachers, and get complete effort from the players. what they lack is a higher up to make the ugly calls, and an assistant to challenge the established setting.

jay gruden's been mentioned ... i would absolutely love him as a coordinator. heck, i'd bring john back as a coordinator. the problem on offense isnt kubiak, it's that it seems to ONLY be kubiak - the same situation that got shanahan fired from denver. you cant have one man calling every shot, it cant work. wade similarly seems to have too much 'control'. i started to use the word freedom, but that would be the ideal - a more free approach within the system instead of a confined setting. our schemes most definitely can be described as boxes. we dont need someone thinking outside of it, we just need a couple guys who are willing to round it out and poke the edges a little bit.

i think keenum is about to remind us why we hired kubiak though. kubiak and wade seem to have caught the dom capers disease - we're struggling, dumb it down and play cautious and keep it close. this is i believe why wade's defenses have a tendency to regress, he perfects and cleans instead of finding new edges. keenum is a license to "let 'er rip" that we havent seen in quite a while.

edit: i'm so repetitive when i drink

Sorry, but, I call nonsense on all of this.

It's Kubiak's job to evaluate assistants. What we have seen is Kubiak toss a zillion defensive and offensive coordinators under the bus to save his own hide. Yet, the Special Teams coach remains (and, is given an assistant!!)

Also, 8 years is more than enough time to judge a head coach.

Multiple Super Bowls? We haven't even gotten to ONE AFC Championship game! After. 8. Years.

Even "if" Keenum is the answer, it's time to let another head coach take over this team.

I pulled this quote out of the Kubiak Collapses thread to continue the discussion without derailing that thread.

Are you kidding me? He never even pulled Schaub. Schaub was forced to go out due to injury. His stubborness is what put the team in the hole and even had Yates out there for a wasted game against the Rams where the team gave up on him. His stubbornness is why Keenum was 3rd string instead of first string in the first place. Keenum only got in there by accident. Lol! A guy having a collapse doesn't change history and what has taken place this season or last season.

This is about the way I see it. Kubiak deserves credit for having/keeping Keenum on the roster. That is offset by his inability to either:
A) identify that Schaub was not even close to being the best QB on the roster this year.
B) take the appropriate action to put the best QB on the field of he did know Schaub wasn't his best option.

I don't know what makes Kubiak this "quarterback guru". If it his ability to teach a QB his offense and get the most out f him, I might be able to see it. I don't think his guru-ness extends to identifying talent though.

Schaub was benched during the Rams game.

Schaub has since not started despite being ready to do so.

Kubiak did promote Keenum to starter over Yates. Whether Keenum was listed as 3rd is unimportant since he got the start.

Not sure of the need some have to revise that.

Kubiak did promote Keenum to starter over Yates. Whether Keenum was listed as 3rd is unimportant since he got the start.

Not sure of the need some have to revise that.

I don't think I'm revising history. I think that Kubiak had enough evidence that Schaub wasn't getting the job done well before the Rams game. I understand it is very dangerous to juggle quarterbacks during a season, but it was clear Schaub did not have NFL velocity on his throws anymore. I don't know if Kubiak would have made the change without the additional impetuous of Schaub's ankle injury, but I think that did help him to decide it was time for a change when he finally pulled the trigger. The problem is the Texans were quickly dropping out of contention waiting for the change to be made.

For the record, I've never been a Schaub basher. I thought he was a good to very good quarterback for this system most of his years here. At some point everyone drops below the level required to play in the NFL though, and Schaub has fallen below that threshold except for occasional flashes.

Let me start by saying I hope Kubiak will be all right. He isn't a great coach but winning isn't everything. I'd rather he is healthy than for the Texans to win the Super Bowl.

That said, we must face the reality of perhaps needing a new head coach. If so, never mind interim coaches, whom do you want as permanent HC? There are too many possibilities to put them all in a poll, so I'm grouping them in categories. Voters can get specific in posts if they want to.

My choice just might be Alabama's Saban.

What was it? 8 years and 61-58 (59 now).

I wish him well and everything. It just didn't work out. Time for something new.

I would like to see Kubiak back for one more year with a full season with Keenum, if he is up to it. By just looking at the last game in the first half, how often did we open it up like that with Schaub? I also think Rick Smith should be close to gone with his moves that led to Briesel, Winston, Quin walking, and the Reed signing.

I would like to see Kubiak back for one more year with a full season with Keenum, if he is up to it.
I can't see McNair firing Kubiak after the illness. But, I don't want to see Kubiak given an extension. The problem with that is the assistants don't have security and it would be difficult attracting a top assistant if their was an opening (hint, Joe Marciano). I also don't think the HC job is as attractive to a prospective head coach as the Texans were coming off the 2010 season. I'm resigned to Kubiak returning in 2014.

Schaub was benched in the Niners game, then knocked out of the Rams game the following week.

I'm not putting all of the Texans early offensive woes on Matt Schaub. The RT position was a mess and Duane Brown was not performing at an All Pro level. But Matt's immobility, lack of velocity, and poor decision making made it impossible for this team to win. That they haven't won in 2 games with Schaub on the bench indicates that Kubiak was right. It's not just the QB, the Texans have a lot of problems. The good news is that they are in the process of solving one of them.

Lovie Smith CURRENTLY: Unemployed (fired by Chicago after 2012).

ACHIEVEMENTS
Led Bears to Super Bowl XLI.

81-63 record with Bears in nine seasons (four seasons Top 5 in defense).

Only finished worse than 7-9 once in nine seasons.

Smith is choosing to go off the grid for 2013, rather than be a coordinator somewhere. He knows his phone will be ringing around New Year's with at least a couple head coaching offers. May as well enjoy a year's vacation.

Ray Horton CURRENTLY: Defensive coordinator, Cleveland (hired 2013).

ACHIEVEMENTS
Coached a Cardinals' defense that had 80 sacks and 32 interceptions over past two seasons.

Seventeen years of coaching secondaries, including three Super Bowl years in Pittsburgh (and three years with least points allowed).

Horton's calls for aggression and disruption were a lone highlight of Arizona's 2012 season.

A former NFL cornerback of ten years, Horton appreciates versatility in players (blitzing secondary, linemen covering the flat, etc), and has mentored some of the best.

These 2 need no introduction around these boards

Bill Cower

John Gruden

I didn't list college coaches but there are some potential good ones out there. It is always a crap shoot when you hire one though that has never coached in the nfl.

HC Mike Zimmer.

He's blunt, screamer, people always ask for accountability and he seems to be that guy. He also has a history of taking players that have had issues off the field and turn them around which tells me he's a good teacher. I wouldn't be upset about it.

No head coaching experience, but his defenses are well known.

HC Mike Zimmer.

He's blunt, screamer, people always ask for accountability and he seems to be that guy. He also has a history of taking players that have had issues off the field and turn them around which tells me he's a good teacher. I wouldn't be upset about it.

yup zimmer is on my short list. im intrigued by hue jackson and david shaw too. i will get a list together later today

HC Mike Zimmer.

This guy. Zimmer is the man. I think he could take our defense to the next level as well.

HC Mike Zimmer.

So, you want a coordinator with no head coaching experience. Haven't we gone down that road before? :spin:

My number 1 GM prospect would be:

Eric DeCosta Ozzie Newsome's long time protege

BINGO! Has been brought up in the Ravens organization for last 17 years and under Ozzie's wing.

Head Coaches

1. David Shaw - Father was an NFL coach, David coached in the NFL for 9 years. His Stanford teams are well prepared in all phases of the game.

2. Jimbo Fisher - Has an heir of Jimmy Johnson about him. His teams also are very well prepared in all phases of the game.

Others - Darrell Barrell, Dan Quinn, Sean McDermott

Zimmer Red Flag, has been on numerous interviews to be a HC without success. He must not interview well.

Gruden Red Flag: Players excoriated him after he was fired. Liar, Dishonest

Last edited:
I used to not be interested in Gruden but I've had a bit of a change of heart. I would not be upset with a Gruden hire. I'd just be really interested in who/how he'd bring in to address the defense.

Hypothetical situation. If Gruden were hired to coach the Texans next year (set aside your dislike of that if you're against it. Just bear with me here....) Who would you want to see him bring in as his DC?

The candidates for all the coaching positions are incomplete right now. Too many what ifs. What if Tom Coughlin is fired? How high up the list would he be for head coach? Rex Ryan for DC?

This is still fun to do though. Nothing left for the season. I want a head coach with head coaching experience - college or pro. I want a head coach that is just a head coach and not a coordinator too. I want a head coach that hires versatile coordinators that can modify their systems to their personnel like Mike McCoy. Mostly, I want a head coach that makes the other team say "we were outcoached" after the game.

Clear a couple things up first:

Shaw won't be leaving Stanford.
Lovie Smith is not a good coach
Gruden isn't leaving MNF

Now, some other prospects mentioned:

Tony Dungy may be the most overrated coach in NFL history (Anyone could have done what he did with Peyton. In fact, a really good coach would have won many more titles). Just see what Jim Caldwell did with Peyton (14-2) and without.

Rex Ryan isn't getting fired by the Jets - he has done a phenomenal job this year. He's weird, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Honestly? My ideal scenario would be this:

New HC - Make a John Harbaugh style hire (Harbs was a ST coordinator, everyone called Ravens crazy, now look at him). God knows we need more emphasis on Special teams.

Keep Wade - Defense has been fine. Offense has been putting them in a horrible spot, not to mention injuries.

New OC - Im not totally opposed to keeping Kubiak as OC (altho i don't think he would accept that). Perhaps if his health issues force him to coach from the booth, it would be a seamless transition. The gap in play calling between Rick Dennison and Kubiak is apparent. And Gary has always been a good offensive mind - he struggles as a head coach, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back