Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Official Welcome Mario Williams Thread

It could still be a smokescreen. Now if it's 10am tommorow and were stilling here Mario talk, then I'll start to beleive it.

Untill then: Trust No One!

Does anyone feel like it is Xmas eve and you can't wait to see what is under the tree?

I have to wake up at 5:15am to play golf tomorrow am and know I won't get an ounce of sleep.

I posted in another thread ESPN's comments regarding the house situation from the owner. It sounds like a real mess including gang members. If McNair read any of that I don't see how they would continue to think about investing in Bush given what McNair is looking for in his football players. Reggie's world is blowing up fast. They also commented his family was upset with the fact that the Texans were playing hardball by using Williams.

I said if they thought we were bad try NO or Adams. I think a decision has been made that Bush is just not worth the hassle, plus Williams is going to give you more playing time for the buck. Williams is actually a better fit in terms of what we need.

We are talking big dollars and the spector of Bush with all of his problems raises some real serious questions. I think there beginning to think he could be a bust or perhaps busted. Well, now I would like anyone other than Bush.

jerek said:
Not really, took less than ten minutes :) I just have Photoshop skill on top of skill. Besides, I'm not drunk, I'm at the office. I am however afraid that lot of people are going to be angry drunks about this time tomorrow, which sucks, because we are going to be getting an amazing player and it is going to take half of this board eight games into the season and halfway toward a DROY campaign to warm up to that fact.

Manny Lawson, his linemate at NCST, will probably be the DROY.

Ibar_Harry said:
I posted in another thread ESPN's comments regarding the house situation from the owner. It sounds like a real mess including gang members. If McNair read any of that I don't see how they would continue to think about investing in Bush given what McNair is looking for in his football players. Reggie's world is blowing up fast. They also commented his family was upset with the fact that the Texans were playing hardball by using Williams.

I said if they thought we were bad try NO or Adams. I think a decision has been made that Bush is just not worth the hassle, plus Williams is going to give you more playing time for the buck. Williams is actually a better fit in terms of what we need.

We are talking big dollars and the spector of Bush with all of his problems raises some real serious questions. I think there beginning to think he could be a bust or perhaps busted. Well, now I would like anyone other than Bush.

Looks like extortion. Plus, the gang relationship was between the stepfather and Lake, not Reggie. I wouldn't characterize this one situation as 'all of his problems'. This is a single situation between Bush's relatives and the ThreeR ing Cirucs Sports Agency, at this point.

kcwilson said:
Looks like extortion. Plus, the gang relationship was between the stepfather and Lake, not Reggie. I wouldn't characterize this one situation as 'all of his problems'. This is a single situation between Bush's relatives and the ThreeR ing Cirucs Sports Agency, at this point.

Yes, but you have the possibility of someone wanting to hurt someone in this case. As more comes out it is looking not so cool. I think McNair has said no dice. May be they even said something that got back to him.

jerek said:
I hope you are as excited as I am, and I hope that even the staunchest Bush or Young supporter will join me in welcoming Mr. Mario Williams to the Houston Texans.

I'm fine with that, as long as those "Bush Bowl" fans don't get their way.

Well, at least we are inching toward being the stupidest franchise in the league. If we don't want Bush, then that is one thing. However, if we are going to take Williams over Ferguson we might as well pack it in. Heck, just try to trade down a few spots for a mere second round pick.

Even as Houston Texans officials continued to insist they have made no decision about the first selection in the draft, there were strong indications Friday afternoon that the team has redirected its focus to North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams.

Texans executives were in substantive negotiations with Ben Dogra, the representative for Williams, throughout the day. Conversely, ESPN.com learned that the agent for Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush had not heard from the Texans, as of late Friday afternoon, in more than 24 hours.

The two sides spoke twice Thursday, but only briefly and made no progress toward an accord. During the week, progress was incremental and one person close to the discussions termed them "a little bit like being in quicksand."

In addition, league sources told ESPN.com that, in terms of guaranteed money, the latest offer made to Williams exceeds the best proposal made to Bush.

Minus any conversations with the Bush camp since Thursday, there seemed little chance the Texans could strike a pre-draft accord with the draft's highest-profile performer even if they were to jump-start the negotiations on Friday evening.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly had cautioned earlier in the week that anyone concluding the team had decided on Bush and was only using Williams as leverage was mistaken. He reiterated that the Texans were serious about both players, negotiating with both agents, and that one of the two would be the top pick.

Dogra, however, was originally reluctant to enter into negotiations because he felt that his client might be used to force Bush into a deal. Clearly, the Texans convinced him that was not the case.

Were the Texans to choose Williams, it would mark the first time since 2000 that a defensive player was the first prospect off the board. The Cleveland Browns chose defensive Courtney Brown with the first pick that year.

The choice of Williams by the Texans could also dramatically alter the landscape of the early segment of the first round. The New Orleans Saints, with the second choice, have indicated they would snap up Bush if he fell to their slot. But the Saints had hinted, in general, that they might entertain trade offers for their pick.

The availability of Bush at the No. 2 spot would almost certainly elicit trade offers.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Yes, the Texans should take Mario Williams so the Saints can get Reggie Bush.

I support this thread.

Edit:

The mods should make this thread a sticky.

Welcome Mario. If the Texans started the whole Mario thing as a smokescreen, their smokescreen has blinded their own eyes. He better be Manning/ Leinart's worst nightmare.

Geez, does Casserly have to write it on a wall in blood? How much clearer could he have made it? Now that these "official" reports are leaking through the cracks, maybe you'll start to believe? :)

kingh99 said:
Reggie Bush is easily 3 times more important to this team than Williams. He's the table setter for Carr and the offense. He's the reason the O-line will be 3000% better. I cannot fathom the Texans screwing this up. It's truly unfathomable.

Please stop drinking the Jonestown Kool-Aid.

The table setter? Far reaching more than a bit. RB doesn't know the blocking schemes for one and I hate to tell you but your precious RB WILL have to block if he's going to make the o-line a bajillion gazillion times better.

DD is a good back and he hasn't made the o-line better? Where is the logic in that statement?

The GAMES are won in the TRENCHES. Championships are WON by DEFENSE.

from kffl.com
Texans | Still willing to deal pick
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:06:40 -0700

According to the NFL Network, Houston Texans owner Bob McNair said the team is willing to trade down from the No. 1 spot in the upcoming NFL Draft if the right offer comes along.

I still believe that we are posturing... too much leaked information... Team McNair has their marketing hat on today.

If we take Mario, I will be his biggest fan. Because he will need us.

I cannot imagine being the player chosen instead of Vince and Reggie. That would be a ton of pressure on a kid. A big kid, but still basically a kid. And one not used to Vince/Reggie pressure.

The expectations for high round picks is usually kind of silly, but the pressure on Mario would be sick. It would make the pressure on Babin to justify that trade up look like nothing.

Whoever we pick, I will support them and just get ready for the REAL season--some football, baby! :redtowel:

MorKnolle you out there? you've gotta be :) well its not over yet there big buddy I smell a trade down and you know what that means :drool:

Texans_Chick said:
If we take Mario, I will be his biggest fan. Because he will need us.

I cannot imagine being the player chosen instead of Vince and Reggie. That would be a ton of pressure on a kid. A big kid, but still basically a kid. And one not used to Vince/Reggie pressure.

The expectations for high round picks is usually kind of silly, but the pressure on Mario would be sick. It would make the pressure on Babin to justify that trade up look like nothing.

Whoever we pick, I will support them and just get ready for the REAL season--some football, baby! :redtowel:

Excellent point. I believe the phrase is "careful what you wish for, you just might get it." In this case, he might not like what the expectations are.

I think they should offer Bush at least as much as they offer Williams. Not knocking Williams, but I think this is getting rediculous. I think I'm going to TRY to stay off the boards until after the draft. See y'all later.

Notice I spelled y'all right. :)

"If" it's Super MArio..I'm fine with that.
I think this is just hype to screw up everyother teams draft. great way to get the #1 pick value back up. folks will scramble.

Doesnt matter to me who we take we have officially thrown a wrench in everyones mock draft and other teams draft plans...

TOmorrow will be great Television...

Welcome Super Mario! Can't wait to see you to hit Peyton Manning into the ground! And Vince Young! And Byron Leftwich!

This rules. I can't wait to see him puttin' people on their @.$.$.es. The only other time I broke out the red towel was for the Moulds signing.

:redtowel:

I'll go to bed tonight with visions of sack dances in my head...

If this is true, then I have to give to give major props to Mr. McNair and Coach Kubiak. They could have easily give in to the outside pressure and take Vince Young or Reggie Bush. If they truly feel that this is the best decision for the team, then they have my full support.

I'm still for hoping for Reggie Bush :pigfly:

Mario - you came outta left field for me, gotta admit. At first it was Reggie after "Bush bowl" then it was Reggie v. Vince after Rose bowl... then onto Reggie v. you after Carr's extension. You came along at the end and overtook the previous "front runners". Congrats and get yourself that Steel blue suit and make us proud to be Texan fans. (Well, already am - but even moreso.)

Welcome to the Bull pen.

beerlover said:
MorKnolle you out there? you've gotta be :) well its not over yet there big buddy I smell a trade down and you know what that means :drool:

I am definitely smiling about this one, I would love to be all catty with the "I told you so"s but I will try to resist and answer whatever concerns/questions people have about Mario that I might be able to help with. There will be no trade downs, it has always been Mario vs. Bush and they are not going to pass on both of those talents for anyone else. MARIO IS COMING TO HOUSTON!!!! We need Monarch to construct one of his infamous posts but change it to a pro-Mario stance.

Mario Williams had 10.5 of his 13 sacks in 3 games last year. I would hardly call that consistent or dominant. He wasn't even the ACC Def Player of the Year. Can he end up being great? Sure, anything is possible and he is only 21. He has great upside. But is he worth the #1 pick? Not at all.

These comparisions to Peppers are premature. When you watched Peppers at UNC, he just jumped off the screen. You just knew that he was going to be great. I don't get that feeling with Williams.

As my monikor suggests, I'm an Old Oiler Fan but have been hoping and rooting for the Texans to get it together and field a competitive and fun team to watch. I really can't believe that they are going to pass up on 2 of the most amazing and accomplished college football athletes of the past 20 years for a workout warrior project! Amazing!

Screw it! Go Titans!

Tale Gator said:
Welcome Mario -- now lets hope the Mods start locking up some of the other 'Welcome Mario' threads. ;)

Seriously, what a bunch of imitators. :) Either way, I'm good with it.

Well, first of all I hope this is just a rumor. Why??? Because there are still hours before the draft and we are already playing our hand? I admit I want Bush more than Williams, but we definitely need a pass rusher also. Our pass rush is pathetic. I have six PSL's and have been trying to sell two and I now have no idea how this will now affect that. Having said that........I have no problem with the choosing of Mario Williams, but I have to ask, did we try to trade down as Mario most likely would have been there at the #4 spot if that is truly what we wanted? I have to really question who is making the ultimate decision....Kubiak, McNair or Casserly? Or is it a combination of all three? (Soon we will probably know) I cannot believe that after the Texans were saying Bush, Bush, then Bush or Mario and now saying Mario on the eve before the draft as we prematurely make an announcement when other offers could be out there for the pick. This makes me really question our draft day logic. Regardless I will still be a diehard Texan fan. If this is true I hope Mario puts a picture of Vince on his locker because he will be chasing him twice a year! :challenge :superman: :redtowel: :brickwall

jerek said:
Seriously, what a bunch of imitators. :) Either way, I'm good with it.

Seriously, PM me with the address. Sonuva-B.

I - did - not - see - that - coming.

Oh well, at least we don't need to worry about defense as much. I wonder if this changes pick #33.

At least we finally have someone to tee off on Manning. Welcome!

To jerek and all of the other Mario wanters....we got our guy!!!!! HELL YES!!!

Now let's see what happens with the rest of the draft!

everyone needs to get over this...we don't need to be like the phili eagles fans here...the texans went with the guy they feel can help them beat the indy colts best...mario williams is a super beast...if he is everything that julius peppers turned out to be you can't be upset...you never know whats going to happen to a runningback...acl's go out quickly with them

I'm loving every minute of it all the way to the start of the next exciting Houston Texan seasons. Remember with planning and patience there's always again a draft filled with outstanding talent next and each and every year. Fans, this is just the beginning to an all new winning future era in Texan football. It's not one player it's one team to win. Some of the greatest NFL players have made marks in the game but not necessarily championships. :fans:

Thanks to Jerek, who had the foresight to start this thread early in the afternoon. :)

Welcome to our newest Texan, Mario Williams!

I saw his interview on ESPN, and I am so pumped that he's pumped.

This set of front 7 players is going to enable the Texans' defense to show lots of different looks this year. We'll have offenses on their heels!

:redtowel:

(ETA: Thanks for the avatar, Jerek)

Its not his fault, but this is a stupid pick. He is great but Reggie was being compared to Gale. There is not comparison when the talent potential is in question. Listen to the professional analyst.

i dont think i have to fully say where i welcome mario williams and the texans front office to go

Definitely the right pick! Get Ready

20051126135536674_1.jpg

I'm glad we got Mario. I've been rooting for him to be the pick for sometime, and this will be the first guy I backed for our pick to actually be the Texans pick. That could either be a very good thing or a very bad thing. I might have jinxed Mario, but I'm hoping I haven't. In the last couple weeks I didn't think it was even possible that he'd be our pick, but once they started up negotiations it at least gave him a chance at being the guy. In the end it turns out he will be the pick. Congrats to Mario. I can't wait to see him out on the field.

Side note: Guess this is making Kiper really say, "The Texans what?!?!? That just screwed up my whole dang top ten". Excellent acting by Kiper, or was it a prediction of things to come? Makes you think.

thunderkyss said:
I'm fine with that, as long as those "Bush Bowl" fans don't get their way.

I posted this 6 hours ago........... I'm feeling pretty giddy right now, so I thought I'd quote myself.....

It's the next morning, a little over an hour before our selection becomes official, and I'm still feeling good about the decision.

The Texans have gone through so many changes this offseason, that they almost feel like a brand new team.

(P.S. Consolidation is awesome! :redtowel: )

Back