Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

TJ Yates

Hey now, he's just practicing by throwing the football with one hand and holding the hardware in the other. Can't blame the guy for preparing for his destiny!

tj_trophy.jpg

Looks good, I like the sound of it!

Go Texans!

No Tarheel has ever started as a QB either.

Yes, I found this horribly muddled and confusing article from May 2011 (with my own annotations):

UNC QBs in the NFL…or the Lack Thereof
By: WV Wolf May 3, 2011
ACC, College Football, Featured, NCS Football, Stat of the Day

Over the weekend during the NFL draft, there was some discussion and questions on SFN’s Twitter account about UNC quarterbacks in the NFL. Thanks to Pro Football Reference (all the stats in this entry are based on stats from this site) I was able to shed some light on the situation which actually ended up getting picked up on Twitter by CBS Sports.

T.J. Yates now makes the 6th UNC QB to be drafted by the NFL, the first since Chris Kupec in 1975. None of those previous 5 draft picks threw a single pass in the NFL.

Scott Stankavage is the only UNC QB to throw a pass in the NFL. He played 1 game for the Denver Broncos in 1984 and 3 games in 1987 for the Miami Dolphins. His career stats are 8 of 25 for 66 yards with 0 touchdowns, 2 interceptions and a rating of 7.9.

This seems to be contradictory information, but I could not find a draft record for Scott Stankavage, so it seems he went undrafted.

An interesting note on Stankavage: Though he had no starts, in the 3 games he played, 2 were losses and 1 was a win where he completed 3-3 passes for 15 yards.

Yates passed him up in one game.

No UNC player has ever started at quarterback in the NFL.

Overall passing stats for all 17 UNC players that have thrown a pass in the NFL are 26 of 106 for 395 yards with 2 touchdowns, 18 interceptions and a rating of 24.7. That rating is less than half of Ryan Leaf’s career QB rating.

UNC’s career passing leader in the NFL is HB Ed Sutton who went 5 of 15 for 146 yards and 1 TD for the Washington Redskins from 1957 to 1959.

Amazing that a school that has been playing football since 1888 has never had an NFL starting QB.

Now it says there are 17 players total, but I found that they were all RBs or WRs.

http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2011/05/03/unc-qbs-in-the-nfl-or-the-lack-thereof/

On a side note, Ronald Curry the QB phenom out of UNC who lead his team to 2 bowl games was drafted into the NFL in 7th round, pick 235, of the 2002 NFL draft. But not as a QB. As a wide reciever. He never completed a pass in the NFL.

The Bengals game is at the 2 minute warning. The ball is in "The Kid's" hands.

I've heard a lot of people callng for Yates' head in the game thread.

Even if Yates does not pull it out and win this game, you should be ashamed of yourself with the guts this kid has shown.

I didn't see a regression today. I saw growth from a rookie making his first start on the road.

T. Yates 26/44 300 Yards 2 TD 1 INT

I didn`t believe he could put up stats like that in his second start. And with that game winning drive. Will Schaub be here next year?

Is it time to start at least considering that this man could be a better fit for the Texans under center than Matt "Anti-Clutch" Schaub?

Is it time to start at least considering that this man could be a better fit for the Texans under center than Matt "Anti-Clutch" Schaub?

Schaub's had his share of clutch moments (Washington, Green Bay, Miami, Kansas City...). But consider this year, with Schaub under center, the Texans have been a dominant scoring machine, even against pretty good defenses. With TJ, the Texans have had to gut those wins out.

A QB controversy of this sort is a nice problem to have, but let's see how the rest of the season pans out. Schaub didn't exactly cause himself to be benched.

Love watching him grow into the position! Of course, Schaub would have put up at least 14 - 20 points in the first half against that secondary. Yates has 3 more games to get more experience before the playoffs. Git ta learnin! oh yeah, long time lurker on this, the main board and BRB...the afterglow of the Texans win is forcing me to interact with my fellow Texans fans. My social anxiety meds (beer) must be working.

But consider this year, with Schaub under center, the Texans have been a dominant scoring machine, even against pretty good defenses. With TJ, the Texans have had to gut those wins out.
Schaub faced 3 top 10 defenses (Steelers, Ravens, Jaguars) and the Texans averaged 18.3 ppg.

Yates has started against 2 top defenses (Falcons and Bengals) and the Texans have averaged 18.5 ppg.

I'm not trying to suggest that Yates is the better QB. Just setting the facts straight.

Schaub's had his share of clutch moments (Washington, Green Bay, Miami, Kansas City...). But consider this year, with Schaub under center, the Texans have been a dominant scoring machine, even against pretty good defenses. With TJ, the Texans have had to gut those wins out.

I'm not Anti-Schaub; I still think Schaub is a good enough QB to take us to the promised land. However, the reason the Texans have had to "gut these wins out" is because they faced two really good teams with really good defenses, late in the season, when almost all games gets tougher.

Against playoff bound teams Schaub was 1-2 with a win against the Steelers, and two losses against the Saints and Ravens.

Yates is 2-0 against the Falcons & Bengals. (Well, we might have just ruined the Bengals' chance for a playoff).

Anyway, I'm going to go against my own grain for the sake of argument, because just like baseball, I think it's bullshit to attribute wins and losses to a QB and a pitcher in team sports.

So, I guess my argument doesn't hold much water either when you examine it beneath the skin.

i think the game really changed for yates when he ripped one in to walter on the right hash (2nd or 3rd quarter). until that point he seemed to be a little hesitant and as it's said about pitchers "aiming instead of throwing" - several floaters and an overall weakness to his throws. that fireball to walter seemed to change the mood and he let it go a whole lot cleaner and crisper afterwards. edit: if the coaches saw the same, it wouldnt surprise me to see an early route combination that invites TJ to let one rip - anything to get the arm settled earlier. i think that was the idea with the first bomb to jacoby, but without the desired effect.

getting settled, finding his rhythm, and being quicker with his progressions (not staring down targets as well) are just part of the process. he's still got plenty of work to do, but "the kid" is doing so much right that he's just plain fun to watch. i dont think we're ok at quarterback, i think we're good and getting great at quarterback.

i am a little worried about the two or three play actions to nobody though.

Last edited:
I'm going to let the season play out, but Yates is making a case to be a starter. Dude is young athletic and has snake venom in his veins.

He missed some throws that schaub probably makes though.

At this point he is at the very least the backup for sure. Leinart is #3 if he's back.

But if Yates keeps it up I'd seriously consider trading schaub for a first. Take another corner and a stud wr.

I know, this isn't madden. But I can't think straight right now. Kist got back from a Christmas part and I'm a lil tipsy.

Schaub faced 3 top 10 defenses (Steelers, Ravens, Jaguars) and the Texans averaged 18.3 ppg.

Yates has started against 2 top defenses (Falcons and Bengals) and the Texans have averaged 18.5 ppg.

I'm not trying to suggest that Yates is the better QB. Just setting the facts straight.

I mentioned "pretty decent" defenses (not necessarily "top"). And scoring.

-Schaub's offense hung 30 points on what was said to be a fairly stout Cleveland Browns defense at the time of that game. Only one other team has scored 30 or more against the Browns this season.

-Schaub's offense pretty much got 30 out of 37 against a testy Bucs defense in the Pirate Ship. Consider the Saints/Brees only scored 20 in a loss there hitherto. Another high-powered offense like the Falcons/Ryan got 13 in a loss down there against those Bucs this year.

-Schaub's offense plastered 34 points on a Titans team that is not easy to demolish in Nashville. No other team has put 34 points in LP field this year if I'm not mistaken.

If Schaub were healthy, I believe he would have put up more than 17 against the Falcons in Reliant. There are probably many who would agree with that.

Admittedly, who knows how he would have done against the Bengals. The Bengals played tough today. But I am very glad to see TJ's (hopefully) coming out party.

Just wanted to set a few facts straight as well.

If he keeps playing this well or even keeps improving, it will get interesting come draft time when the offers start coming in and you know they will.

I'm going to let the season play out, but Yates is making a case to be a starter. Dude is young athletic and has snake venom in his veins.

He missed some throws that schaub probably makes though.

At this point he is at the very least the backup for sure. Leinart is #3 if he's back.

But if Yates keeps it up I'd seriously consider trading schaub for a first. Take another corner and a stud wr.

I know, this isn't madden. But I can't think straight right now. Kist got back from a Christmas part and I'm a lil tipsy.

He missed several reads as well .... He's really got to work on going thru the progressions and not locking onto a single target. Those same progressions and reads along with his decision making are Schaubs strengths.

I agree Leinart will be be the #3 if he's back next season .... But Schaub despite his flaws is the clear #1 IMO.

He missed several reads as well .... He's really got to work on going thru the progressions and not locking onto a single target. Those same progressions and reads along with his decision making are Schaubs strengths.

I agree Leinart will be be the #3 if he's back next season .... But Schaub despite his flaws is the clear #1 IMO.

Right now schaub is clearly the number one. But we have at least 4 more games left.

That will have been almost two months of starting time for teej. Lots of time to evaluate him. Lots of tome for him to continue to impress or fail. I'm not saying he's going to be as good as schaub at any point this year, but if he continues to play well we may want to keep him in there and not stunt his growth.

Then you'd also have the dynamic of anytime schaub made a mistake folks would start calling for tj to start.

He made some rookie mistakes yesterday, but he made a lot of plays and he made a lot of plays in crucial moments.

I'm looking for him to be a better player when the season ends than he was when he first got in the game against the jags. He's played some good defenses.

Our defense helped him out in the second half, first half no favors. Running game helped him a little I guess. Tate's fumble didn't. Arian's "fumble" didn't help. That last drive that started on our goal line was amazing.

Yates threw for 300, 2 td's and a pick and he didn't have aj green going up and mossing folks. Not bad in that situation for a rookie of any caliber.

Gonna be interesting to see how he finishes because if he continues like this it's going to be a tough call simply from an upside standpoint.

his mobility is what makes his potential greater than schaub.

if matt's foot doesn't get back to pre-injury levels, this disparity well get even bigger..

TJ

his mobility is what makes his potential greater than schaub.

if matt's foot doesn't get back to pre-injury levels, this disparity well get even bigger..

TJ

Schaub is a really good QB....

Not going to be easy for Tj to take that spot...He hasn't done it yet...

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the show one way or the other...

Until TJ has to bring the team back from a big deficit, or convert some critical 3rd downs to keep a drive going, I don't think we really know what we've got. He certainly hasn't had to do either in the 6 or 7 quarters that he's played so far.

Maybe he will have such an opportunity in Cicinnatti.

Well now we know, the guy has bollocks to make that run on 3rd and long. I see plenty of 5th round rookie type flaws in TJ's game yesterday, none of which were enough to outweigh his fantastic ability to lead his team 80 yards downfield when he needed to.

My only question is how well do we think this guy could actually become? He seems to have every intangible going for him, and slightly better physical qualities than Schaub. Maybe the Texans have struck gold here??

The kid is a baller and he plays like TJ Yates LOL he doesn't have to be anyone else but himself but if you all want to make comparisons he reminds me more of a Ben Rothlisberger type but in a west coast offense. Big Ben is an inch taller at 6'5 240 and TJ is at 6'4" 220 and he can move his feet like Ben and the biggest difference is Bens strength the guy is a mule and the fact that Ben plays in a spread offense where he can improvise and make down field throws. Don't beat me up brethren but that is who is he reminds me of the biggest difference is the strength & offense that ben plays in now lets see if he can lead us like Ben did as a rookie!!!

I think it's a little early to say that there is a QB controversy...but if there were I wouldn't know which side to fall on. Yates needs to work on his reads and especially needs to work on selling the PA. However, as far as we can tell at this point, Yates has more arm strength and mobility than Schaub ever will and arguably more poise in the pocket. Tough choice, big gamble.

This is the main thing.

It's going to be exciting seeing the Teej-meister develop. And next pre-season is going to get interesting if the Teej continues to progress.

Very exciting...

Barring any unfortunate situations he is looking to make history for the franchise as the first QB to start a play-off game for us...

Will he be the first to win one?

I feel really bad for Schaub though...It has to be killing him to have to sit on the sideline and watch the games and not be able to contribute...This is his team...his offense...

And he is human...I know he is thinking about next year and what it means for him too if TJ keeps it up...

Right now though, It's TJ's world and we're all just in it.

I think it's a little early to say that there is a QB controversy...but if there were I wouldn't know which side to fall on. Yates needs to work on his reads and especially needs to work on selling the PA. However, as far as we can tell at this point, Yates has more arm strength and mobility than Schaub ever will and arguably more poise in the pocket. Tough choice, big gamble.

Let's just say that right now, I hope there *is* a QB controversy in the off-season because that means TJ will continue to deliver for the remainder of this season.

It's way too early to anoint him as the starter over a healthy Schaub next year. But after three more games and the playoffs ahead, who knows? That could change -- but not yet.

You guys should really read this thread on the Jags board..... disturbing.

yea I've been following this thread since it started last week. My favorite quote...

"If the tacks have hit on Locker and Yates becomes a steal for Houston then i want Genes head. Ponder looks like the future in Minn despite the rest of the team, Dalton's the man in Cincy,Cam is carolinas future, Locker look good in limited time for the tacks, and Gabbert looks like garbage."

lmao

With 10:15 left in the third qtr, we rab a bootleg. Gannon said Tj should have slowed down & hit the tightend crossing across the middle. The tight end was open, but this is the same play Foster scored that 90 yard TD against Tennessee.

From the all 22 view, you can see this play develop just like it had in Tennessee. Had Tj stopped & looked to the other side of the field, like Schaub had done twice this year, my fantsy team would have done much better.

With 10:15 left in the third qtr, we rab a bootleg. Gannon said Tj should have slowed down & hit the tightend crossing across the middle. The tight end was open, but this is the same play Foster scored that 90 yard TD against Tennessee.

From the all 22 view, you can see this play develop just like it had in Tennessee. Had Tj stopped & looked to the other side of the field, like Schaub had done twice this year, my fantsy team would have done much better.

Weren't those designed QB running plays? I thought the way he didn't look up seemed like it was setting something up for later, then when they chose to come back to it a defender blew it up and Yates had to get rid of the ball too quick.

Weren't those designed QB running plays? I thought the way he didn't look up seemed like it was setting something up for later, then when they chose to come back to it a defender blew it up and Yates had to get rid of the ball too quick.

I think there was only one designed run. He picked up that 3rd & 15 on a broken play, then two bootlegs (to the right) he picked up 2 yards & 5 yards when he didn't see a receiver. The designed run was to the left.

But the play I'm talking about there (I think it's the one he picked up the two yards) he had two receivers in front of him that were sort of covered, then he had AF wide open with lots of green in front of him on the other side of the field.

Lots of Yates love on NFLN, once again, Deion Sanders can eat a dick

Why's it gotta be like that?

Not everybody is going to agree with our opinions..... not everybody is going to believe the Texans are the best team ever.

Just not going to happen.

Why's it gotta be like that?

Not everybody is going to agree with our opinions..... not everybody is going to believe the Texans are the best team ever.

Just not going to happen.

I agree with this. The only thing he said was that he can't say the Texans are the top team in the AFC right now because he doesn't trust Yates. He's played 2 and a half games right now compared to 5 Super Bowls combined from 2 of the other QB's in the mix. I can't say I trust him 100 percent yet either, but he's earning it slowly.

If we show we can go out and dominate a bad Panthers defense then I'll feel a little better. Yates is only going to get better, but its hard to blame Deion for feeling this way after only a couple of games with him starting. Its going to be hard to beat Brady and Big Ben in the playoffs not scoring more than 20 points. We have to improve on our ability to put together complete games on offense over the next 3 weeks.

Edit: Sorry I thought this was the NFL No huddle video where they were talking about the AFC contenders. After watching it, he didn't say anything all that terrible although I disagree with him about his assessment up until this point. He said he doesn't know how "he's going to react to pressure in the playoffs". Well he graded the rookies on how they've performed so far and then graded him on how he's going to do. Doesn't make sense, but oh well. IMO he's already played in 2 "playoff" games and won them. Not bad if you ask me, and like a said he will get better.

Last edited:
Back