Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Who’s the blame for Tank season ending injury

DanielTx

Chosen one
I remember seeing tank as questionable for Sunday game vs broncos. I want to hear some of your opinions. Tank was injured on a goal line run. Not sure why a 160lb receiver who’s already dealing with injury would be in that position.

Who’s at fault? Demeco Ryan’s or Bobby Slowik?

I understand that.Tank is a high motor guy, he’s going to do everything in his power to help our offense succeed. I rather him not try an block a de or lb rather than getting crushed. If we b***h than oh well

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that no one in this organization or a fan of this organization wants to trying to block LBs and DEs. That's why I said it was Tank's fault if we just absolutely had to assign blame.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that no one in this organization or a fan of this organization wants to trying to block LBs and DEs. That's why I said it was Tank's fault if we just absolutely had to assign blame.

I get it but coaches and offensive coordinators have to be aware of certain players limits. It’s like basketball in crunch time up 1 point. You aren’t going to put your tiny point guard in a position to guard a center. You probably will sub him out and have a bigger Noah brown in the game. I’m not pointing fingers. Tank has a high motor like JJ Watt and other special players. It can backfire sometimes

I get it but coaches and offensive coordinators have to be aware of certain players limits. It’s like basketball in crunch time up 1 point. You aren’t going to put your tiny point guard in a position to guard a center. You probably will sub him out and have a bigger Noah brown in the game. I’m not pointing fingers. Tank has a high motor like JJ Watt and other special players. It can backfire sometimes

He was lined up outside to the right with a CB in front of him. He's been playing this game a long time so I'm gonna assume he knows the risks, and he ultimately made the decision on his own to crash into the meatgrinder. It was entirely on him.

Something like this could happen on a dozen or so plays a game if he should so choose. Plays that he has every reason to be in on. You only gonna have him on the field when he's the primary target? He's simply got to know better, no different than a QB understanding when/how to slide.

They were talking about this on the radio this morning and I agree with Seth. This was tank taking initiative trying to stick his nose in there.

Successful plays aren't built around having WR's (big or small) trying to block LBs and Dlinemen...especially on short yardage plays.

Doubtful that play was designed to do what tank did. He was just trying to put a body on someone. But that's what makes tank, tank. He'll be back better than ever and hopefully he'll be more careful in those situations in the future.

But for now this train is still rolling.

By play design, it looked like he should have blocked 27. That said, not sure about motioning him (or any WR) into the action unless it to set up another play off that look/action.

I think you want to do different things from different looks. They may or may not use that to set something up later, but you could do stuff like that to break tendencies.

You really don't want the defense to ever see a formation and say "Well we know they aren't going to do ______"

And also, it may not be something to set up a future play...It could be to throw the defense off from something they've done in the past.

Not directed to you, but I know people are upset about losing Dell and want to place blame somewhere, but it's football. Injuries happen. Dell could have blocked that DB like it looks like he should have and the RB could have bounced the play or veered that direction and he could have still gotten rolled up. He could have stayed outside and action could have come his way and he could get injured. Just stepping on the field is a risk. Hate that we lost him, but he'll probably never get injured that way again in his entire career whether he motions inside or stays outside.

Last edited:
I think you want to do different things from different looks. They may or may not use that to set something up later, but you could do stuff like that to break tendencies.

You really don't want the defense to ever see a formation and say "Well we know they aren't going to do ______"
One of the things that made Kubiak's offense work so well was doing different things from the same formation. I believe Shanahan does this as well. Agree with the rest of your post.

Don't anyone forget that body block Dell put on a defender that sprang, I believe, Noah Brown for that long sideline TD catch and run. That wasn’t coached. Why does someone have to be blamed for an action an obviously spirited player executes in the momentary heat of a play? From everything I’ve seen Dell is going to mix it up with or without anybody’s instructions.

Don't anyone forget that body block Dell put on a defender that sprang, I believe, Noah Brown for that long sideline TD catch and run. That wasn’t coached. Why does someone have to be blamed for an action an obviously spirited player executes in the momentary heat of a play? From everything I’ve seen Dell is going to mix it up with or without anybody’s instructions.
Because it is the coach's responsibility to change that mentality. Also downfield blocking is different significantly in my opinion than inside the scrum.

Here's the play, he comes from the outside to try and block a linebacker...

Wow, so Tank got a body on 31, preventing him from going lower & putting a hit on Pierce before the goal line. Good job Tank.

As far as "Charles Robinson" not knowing about the wisdom... well, part of this offense is running different plays from the same formation. IF you think it's odd to see that on the goal line, the Broncos were probably just as confused.

Since this song gets stuck in my head seeing this thread I must pass it along so maybe it will leave me alone.
I really like that song as the words mean a lot to me. It seemed like no matter hard you try to do right or to accomplish things there were rules or people who come against you. Anyway enough about that.

I really like that song as the words mean a lot to me. It seemed like no matter hard you try to do right or to accomplish things there were rules or people who come against you. Anyway enough about that.
Ohhhh. OK. Kinda like Tank Dell.

MIA does not put Hill in a goal line dog pile to block 300+ lb. dudes. Just sayin'. .

If it's Tanks fault for going off script, so be it.

But EVERY breakdown that I've seen about that specific play indicates that it was designed for Tank to be there. And if that's the case, see above about MIA and Hill.

It's the NFL, and injuries happen.

But they have a higher percentage chance of happening on some plays more than others.

Without insider details about play design and intent, it's just a guessing game by fans.

That said, I doubt either the OC or Tank do it again.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Was I the only one who saw the video of DJ Jones purposefully breaking Tank Dell's Fibula? There is a video of another angle that shows Tank rolling over and looking back at DJ as if to say "What the Heck man?!?!?"

At the very end of that second video you'll see Tank look turn in pain and look at DJ

Was I the only one who saw the video of DJ Jones purposefully breaking Tank Dell's Fibula? There is a video of another angle that shows Tank rolling over and looking back at DJ as if to say "What the Heck man?!?!?"

At the very end of that second video you'll see Tank look turn in pain and look at DJ
I posted this after the game.

Back