Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2018 Texans Talk Mock Draft

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The TT Mock Draft is starting on March 27th

If y'all are interested sign up is in the draft forum.

Plenty of teams are available.

RULES:
NO TRADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Start: Monday morning 7AM March 27th
Teams: 32
Rounds: 7
CLOCK RULES:
Clock Only runs from 7AM-9PM

Your clock time starts when the team in front of you makes a pick. Unless it was made while the clock is not running. In that case it will start at 7AM of the following weekday morning. You may pick at nights or on weekends if your team is on the clock.

Round (1): 2 hours per pick.
Rounds (2-7): 4 hours per pick.

Night: Clock stops running at 9PM. Picks can still be made.
Morning: Clock starts running at 7AM.
Weekends: Clock stops. Picks can still be made.

Unavailable, proxy or MIA:
1.) If you miss a single pick, the rest of your teams draft will be a group pick.
2.) If you know you will be gone for awhile and might miss your pick, PM your top X players to myself or another member of this mock. They will make a proxy pick for you. JUST FREAKING DO IT!

I'm down. Wouldn't mind doing the Texans if possible. I'm sure everyone does though. Will take Jags if available.

Been watching the past 4 or 5 years. I'd like to participate and pick for the Vikings if no one is against it.

Just don't trade up. Rick you already had to give up your 2nd to get rid of Brock. Don't give up anymore to move up and get another Nix.
Also don't get a QB that can't throw (Brock) or
a WR that can't catch (Fuller)

Just don't trade up. Rick you already had to give up your 2nd to get rid of Brock. Don't give up anymore to move up and get another Nix.
Also don't get a QB that can't throw (Brock) or
a WR that can't catch (Fuller)

Fuller was 11th in drop % among WR/TE's with 40-60 catches. In other words, within his performance peer group.

Fuller was not in the Top 15 among all players for total dropped passes on the season, and there were a total of 11 players tied with him at 5 drops. In other words, there were 26 other players that dropped as many or more passes this past season.

The Texans were 10th in the league last year for dropped passes with 23. Fuller had 5. Fido was actually the worst on the team.

AJ dropped more than a few early in his career, and even an easy TD in a playoff game.

andrechoke.gif

I'm willing to give the rookie a little more time before I say he "can't catch".

The Texans were 10th in the league last year for dropped passes with 23. Fuller had 5. Fido was actually the worst on the team.
Very frustrating that both of them dropped some critical passes in the divisional round playoff loss at Foxborough against the Patriots. Balls that were perfectly thrown by Brock Osweiler if you can believe it.

Brock stunk it up and ended up throwing three picks but we didn't help him by dropping some of the great passes he did throw in that game. Two of which cost us points on the board: At least 10 points (Touchdown on Fuller's drop and a Field Goal on C.J.'s drop).

A game we trailed 17-13 at halftime and 24-16 early in the fourth quarter. Those 10 extra points we left on the table would have meant we had the lead in the fourth quarter. If those guys had made some big plays and not dropped some passes that game could have been very interesting.

Our defense, minus J.J. Watt, had Tom Brady struggling for a good portion of that game. Bu midway of the fourth quarter the champs put it away and we folded like little school girls.

Better quarterback play will help us. No doubt about it.
But some of our guys improving their hands will also help.

The difference in winning a Super Bowl and losing in the playoffs.
It's not always about the QB. It's a group effort. They all have to step up!

Manning lived through a 7-drop game to beat the Steelers in the playoffs the year the Broncos won the SB.

The Pats gifted the Texans a TD on an early kick-off fumble; Brady survived the pass rushes and his two INTs to beat the Texans 34-16.
They did not bring their A game either.

I'm tired of the excuses, sorry.
Grow some balls.

Manning lived through a 7-drop game to beat the Steelers in the playoffs the year the Broncos won the SB.

The Pats gifted the Texans a TD on an early kick-off fumble; Brady survived the pass rushes and his two INTs to beat the Texans 34-16.
They did not bring their A game either.

I'm tired of the excuses, sorry.
Grow some balls.
Sorry but seems like the balls were dropped

I guess the Ghost of Christmas Past restarted it to remind all Texans fans that there was a time when the team had draft picks in an upcoming draft to look forward to.

Merry Christmas to all :stooges:
What if I told you the Texans would own 8 selections prior to the beginning of the 2018 draft?

Odds are they will package one of those 2019 second rounders with a 2018 pick(s) and trade up into the second round in 2018.

Hopefully they dont pick another XSF.

Talent is there in the OL to be able to pick starters in the 3rd/4th rds in this draft. It's a deep Ol draft.

The guy doing the picking is the problem.

Hopefully they dont pick another XSF.

Talent is there in the OL to be able to pick starters in the 3rd/4th rds in this draft. It's a deep Ol draft.

The guy doing the picking is the problem.

Who was it that you liked so much at OT in last years Draft: Robinson, Ramcyck, or Bolles ?

Who was it that you liked so much at OT in last years Draft: Robinson, Ramcyck, or Bolles ?

At one point I wanted them to draft Bolles.

Then when it appeared he would be gone I wanted them to draft Rd.1 Robinson/Rd.2 Dawkins. Then get their QB this yr. Preferably trading for Jimmy G.

This isn't revisionist history either. I'm a build the trenches guy. Look at my mock this yr.

At one point I wanted them to draft Bolles.

Then when it appeared he would be gone I wanted them to draft Rd.1 Robinson/Rd.2 Dawkins. Then get their QB this yr. Preferably trading for Jimmy G.

This isn't revisionist history either. I'm a build the trenches guy. Look at my mock this yr.

I agree, was dead set on Dawkins if available with 2nd. especially after trading up for Watson. Here is the rub, Cunningham was rated higher overall on virtually any draft board making a no brainer “BPA”. Despite this, nothing but franchise QB’s and Corners are worth more than OT’s.

So not only did Texans pass on one of the highest graded offensive lineman prospects they let their own and best corner walk in free agency, to divisional foe.

Bottom line, addressed most important position in the draft and a solid Linebacker for years, but now need to re-focus on secondary and OL.

I agree, was dead set on Dawkins if available with 2nd. especially after trading up for Watson. Here is the rub, Cunningham was rated higher overall on virtually any draft board making a no brainer “BPA”. Despite this, nothing but franchise QB’s and Corners are worth more than OT’s.

So not only did Texans pass on one of the highest graded offensive lineman prospects they let their own and best corner walk in free agency, to divisional foe.

Bottom line, addressed most important position in the draft and a solid Linebacker for years, but now need to re-focus on secondary and OL.
Bouye was a huge risk to pay big $$ in FA. The Jags rolled the dice and won in 2017. I'll be keeping a close eye on Bouye for the rest of his career.

Texans should have never allowed him to reach free agency. They lost leverage and control. Rick Smiths policy of not negotiating contracts after start of season must be amended for special cases, like in case of injuries (Kevin Johnson).

Jag’s also rolled the dice on CB Jalen Ramsey 5th overall in 2016 draft. 2016 stats were amazingly close to Bouye and same this year 2017.

Every player is a risk and obviously you have to manage cap. Happen to remember interview on 610 just days before free agency last season and Bouye was real hopeful his agent could work out a new contract to keep him in Houston. Struck me as bright, intelligent, committed to his craft and exactly everything Texan worthy. He sold me not just as a player but outstanding individual worth taking risk but guess that is just my opinion only, not in hindsight.

Texans should have never allowed him to reach free agency. They lost leverage and control. Rick Smiths policy of not negotiating contracts after start of season must be amended for special cases, like in case of injuries (Kevin Johnson).

Jag’s also rolled the dice on CB Jalen Ramsey 5th overall in 2016 draft. 2016 stats were amazingly close to Bouye and same this year 2017.

Every player is a risk and obviously you have to manage cap. Happen to remember interview on 610 just days before free agency last season and Bouye was real hopeful his agent could work out a new contract to keep him in Houston. Struck me as bright, intelligent, committed to his craft and exactly everything Texan worthy. He sold me not just as a player but outstanding individual worth taking risk but guess that is just my opinion only, not in hindsight.
Bouye also had only one good year. How many flashes in the pan have burned a team that signed them to a big contract after one good season, in a contract year? I'd venture to say considerably more than those who've turned out to be a great signing.

It also appears that Rick Smith is out as GM and will get kicked upstairs if/when he returns to the team, so let's hope that his replacement does a much better job in the offseason.

Was going to post this last year (night) lol

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/12...-leave-of-absence-from-team-to-care-for-wife/

Hope everything turns out well for both and best wishes.

Back to Bouye, I’m very aware of one year wonders associated with contract years. I’m saying I see something completely different with A.J. he is ascending talent, work ethic is top level, which Texan coaches should have been pounding the table for to front office, has size measurable you want for position, intelligent student breaking down and reading QB tendencies well as WR match-ups (listen to interviews post game). In short he encompasses the whole package and I believed in him as Texan, or now as Jaguar.

Rick Smith stamp is all over this while He gets credit for identifying, bringing him in and player development you gotta close this deal and reap the benefits of your investment (risk). Not throw money at a player like Cushing (injury prone and PD user) nearing end of career and not A.J. Bouye, a young, ascending, pro bowl quality CB is beyond my comprehension.

Not throw money at a player like Cushing (injury prone and PD user) nearing end of career and not A.J. Bouye, a young, ascending, pro bowl quality CB is beyond my comprehension.

False trade off. Cutting Cushing last year wouldn't have paid for Bouye.

The Texans did try to sign Bouye.

Was going to post this last year (night) lol

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/12...-leave-of-absence-from-team-to-care-for-wife/

Hope everything turns out well for both and best wishes.

Back to Bouye, I’m very aware of one year wonders associated with contract years. I’m saying I see something completely different with A.J. he is ascending talent, work ethic is top level, which Texan coaches should have been pounding the table for to front office, has size measurable you want for position, intelligent student breaking down and reading QB tendencies well as WR match-ups (listen to interviews post game). In short he encompasses the whole package and I believed in him as Texan, or now as Jaguar.

Rick Smith stamp is all over this while He gets credit for identifying, bringing him in and player development you gotta close this deal and reap the benefits of your investment (risk). Not throw money at a player like Cushing (injury prone and PD user) nearing end of career and not A.J. Bouye, a young, ascending, pro bowl quality CB is beyond my comprehension.
You've also got to throw in a PI/defensive holding penalty machine. The DB I'm most ticked off at losing is Quin.

texans.png
30 $7,250,000 - $1,250,000 $1,200,000 $9,700,000 $1,200,000 $8,500,000($39,642,116)
texans.png
31 $8,250,000 - $1,250,000

Cushing is UFA 2020

25 $3,000,000 $2,000,000 $468,750 $5,468,750 $26,000,000 $13,468,750($13,468,750)
jaguars.png
26 $13,000,000 $2,000,000 $500,000 $15,500,000 $21,000,000 $13,500,000($26,968,750)
POTENTIAL OUT: 2019, 2 YR, $26,968,750; $6,000,000 DEAD CAP
jaguars.png
27 $13,000,000 $2,000,000 $500,000 $15,500,000 $6,000,000 $13,500,000($40,468,750)
jaguars.png
28 $13,000,000 $2,000,000 $500,000 $15,500,000 $4,000,000 $13,500,000($53,968,750)
jaguars.png
29 $13,000,000 $2,000,000 $500,000

So you are correct extending Cushing doesn’t ENTIRELY PAY for A.J. Bouyes contract he received from Jacksonville, but it sure hurts a lot less, not to mention money saved from Duane Brown contract.

Quin was favorite of mine too, always thought natural position was safety and skill set ascending. Another great teammate and developed in Texan system.

Ok, what is the difference between what they gave Cushing and offered Bouye?

We would have saved $2 mil cutting Cushing.

We don't know the structure of the offer.

You've also got to throw in a PI/defensive holding penalty machine. The DB I'm most ticked off at losing is Quin.

Correct. 2016 Bouye had 10 penalties. He reduced that to 4 in 2017.

So you are correct extending Cushing doesn’t ENTIRELY PAY for A.J. Bouyes contract he received from Jacksonville, but it sure hurts a lot less, not to mention money saved from Duane Brown contract.

C'mon you know better than to use base salaries for cap hit. Cutting Cushing would have made $2 mil available. That's the number that counts.

DB is irrelevant. He wasn't even a hiccup when Bouye left. Yes as it turns out we could have afforded Bouye but the picture at the time is what should be considered.

There is a real problem then if Texan front office didn’t know Duane Brown was unhappy, enough to hold out and they didn’t have a better back-up plan @ LT.

There is a real problem then if Texan front office didn’t know Duane Brown was unhappy, enough to hold out and they didn’t have a better back-up plan @ LT.

Yeah cuz a smart agent might not wait until after most of free agency is over so the team's hands are tied before making his push. I'm sure everyone is real transparent in all this.

We would have saved $2 mil cutting Cushing.

We don't know the structure of the offer.

Correct. 2016 Bouye had 10 penalties. He reduced that to 4 in 2017.

C'mon you know better than to use base salaries for cap hit. Cutting Cushing would have made $2 mil available. That's the number that counts.

DB is irrelevant. He wasn't even a hiccup when Bouye left. Yes as it turns out we could have afforded Bouye but the picture at the time is what should be considered.
That's quite an improvement. Better position coaching? The Texans secondary has always been bad about not getting their heads turned around and playing the ball.

People are also underestimating the impact of having Jalen Ramsey on the other side taking care of the #1 WR.

Bouye still made First Team All Pro. Stats would indicate they shared targets remarkably similar. Both played all 16 games, Bouye had 56 tackles, 18 passes defended and 6 Int’s. Ramsey, 63 tackles, 17 passes defended with 4 Int’s.

Back