Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Don't expect to see Cowher in Carolina any time soon.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
CHARLOTTE -- The Bill Cowher rumors won't let up. And why not? They make perfect sense.

Except for the small fact that, you know, they make absolutely no sense at all.

Among the fans, Cowher is the preordained savior of the coaching search that hasn't begun for the Carolina Panthers. Those who read tea leaves think it's a fantastic idea and all but done, citing secondhand sources and irrefutable evidence such as the easy commute from Raleigh and his daughter's choices in higher education.
MBR
Learn the trick

Nevermind the pesky fact it's not happening, for about a dozen reasons.

Because he used to coach the Pittsburgh Steelers and stomps and yells and spits (The Passion of The Chin is a marketable commodity among fans), folks have long since assumed he's a natural fit in Charlotte. Many of those same folks five months ago extolled the virtue of the Panthers pursuing Michael Vick, ignoring that they weren't pursuing Vick and would not.

Facts and reality, among some, seem overrated.

For those who care to bother, here are a few:

Economics

Cowher will be pricey, pushing $10 million a year.

That wouldn't be a problem, except hiring him would cause Jerry Richard-son to eat $6.5 million for the final year of John Fox's contract. And the final years of the deals of the coaching staff that signed two-year extensions last spring, since Cowher almost certainly would clean house and bring in his own guys.

The next coach of the Panthers (if there is one soon) will be a guy who fits into what they want to do, so many current staffers could stay.

Granted, Richardson never has been bashful about writing big checks to solve big problems. But entering the last year of the current labor agreement, with the potential of no football revenue in 2011 (except for some sweetheart TV contracts), it's not the best time to actively pursue sunk costs.

Football

Cowher is the belle of the ball around Charlotte because he is perceived as aggressive and blitzes out of his 3-4 defense, and people like aggressiveness and blitzes almost as much as The Passion.

Nevermind the Panthers don't have the personnel to run a 3-4, and to switch would cause them to throw away a number of parts to what actually is a pretty good 4-3 right now.

There's no real place for Jon Beason or Thomas Davis in a 3-4. Inside linebackers in that style need to be stronger than fast, because they're entrusted with more of the run defense. You would think Everette Brown could play the rush outside linebacker spot, but scouts who watched him at Florida State doubted whether he was fluid enough to stand up and cover. Could Julius Peppers? Sure, why not? Peppers also could play power forward for the Bobcats right now, and they have as good a chance of convincing him to join them long-term.

http://www.heraldonline.com/247/story/1795580.html

call me crazy, but I am not giving up on the dream of Cowher coaching the Texans

what is 10 million dollars when it gets you a coach with the pedigree and credibility of Cowher. We spent 10 million on Dunta this year? Bob had no problem doing that. Why is it a problem spending it where it counts...on coaching.

Cowher would also help Bob bring in more revenue, fans, and interest. All of those things could end up helping pay the extra money that Cowher would cost. Geez, just pass the cost down to the end user, the fan his/herself.

Tell you what Bob, charge everyone $5 more for parking, increase ticket prices by $5 a seat and add $1 to every beer $.50 to every soft drink. Tell your fans about it and explain that you did that to help pay for the extra expenses of Cowher and the Free Agents that he would want to bring in.

How many season ticket holders would pay $10-$20 more on game day in order to enjoy a better team and god forbid, maybe some meaningful wins? I would be willing to spend the money for a more competently coached team but as it sits I am thinking about giving up my seats if this charade continues much longer.

So Bob can have more money if he wants to actually be an effective and prudent owner but if he continues this BS, I will just follow on TV. I could take my whole family on a weeklong vacation with style for what we spend on our 4 Texans seats.

call me crazy, but I am not giving up on the dream of Cowher coaching the Texans

what is 10 million dollars when it gets you a coach with the pedigree and credibility of Cowher. We spent 10 million on Dunta this year? Bob had no problem doing that. Why is it a problem spending it where it counts...on coaching.

Cowher would also help Bob bring in more revenue, fans, and interest. All of those things could end up helping pay the extra money that Cowher would cost. Geez, just pass the cost down to the end user, the fan his/herself.

Tell you what Bob, charge everyone $5 more for parking, increase ticket prices by $5 a seat and add $1 to every beer $.50 to every soft drink. Tell your fans about it and explain that you did that to help pay for the extra expenses of Cowher and the Free Agents that he would want to bring in.

How many season ticket holders would pay $10-$20 more on game day in order to enjoy a better team and god forbid, maybe some meaningful wins? I would be willing to spend the money for a more competently coached team but as it sits I am thinking about giving up my seats if this charade continues much longer.

So Bob can have more money if he wants to actually be an effective and prudent owner but if he continues this BS, I will just follow on TV. I could take my whole family on a weeklong vacation with style for what we spend on our 4 Texans seats.

Im a Texans fan, what's this meaningful win thing you speak of?

I think the author of this article made some really strong points that I wasn't aware of considering the Panthers situation. To me, this seems like it would mean that the Texans would have a stronger chance at getting Cowher.

Getting Cowher will be all on Bob though. Bob will have to become a salesman like I said before. He'll have to reel him in and make Cowher believe that this could be a destination that he'll want to coach for, for a very long time and end his coaching career here.

I think the author of this article made some really strong points that I wasn't aware of considering the Panthers situation. To me, this seems like it would mean that the Texans would have a stronger chance at getting Cowher.

Getting Cowher will be all on Bob though. Bob will have to become a salesman like I said before. He'll have to reel him in and make Cowher believe that this could be a destination that he'll want to coach for, for a very long time and end his coaching career here.

of all the potential job openings, I feel the Texans is the most appealing to a prospective head coach....yes, even more than that team up in Dallas. Chicago. Meh. Washington. Old team.

We have a young starting lineup that does have upside.
We have Pro Bowl caliber pieces in some places. AJ, OD, Cushing, and Ryans. (sorry Mario, you didnt make the cut)
We have no state tax.
We have a strong economy compared to the rest of the nation.
We have top notch facilities.
We have great fans who would worship a winner in this town. Cowher would ignite this city's interest.
We have a challenge to present to you and a franchise to put on the NFL map, once and for all.

of all the potential job openings, I feel the Texans is the most appealing to a prospective head coach....yes, even more than that team up in Dallas. Chicago. Meh. Washington. Old team.

We have Pro Bowl caliber pieces in some places. AJ, OD, Cushing, and Ryans. (sorry Mario, you didnt make the cut)
We have no state tax.
We have great fans who would worship a winner in this town. Cowher would ignite this city's interest.
We have a challenge to present to you and a franchise to put on the NFL map, once and for all.

Washington-------> Dan Snyder--------> big $$$$

We have no state tax.

Houston is a small market team. We have a lot of people here, but no one cares about the Texans.

Washington-------> Dan Snyder--------> big $$$$

After working under owners like the Rooney's do you think he'll be interested in working under the eye of Dan Synder? Him and Jerry Jones are the leagues most cumbersome owners to try and win under. I would put crazy Al here but, all he's interested in are guys that can run a sub 4.30 40.

Houston is a small market team. We have a lot of people here, but no one cares about the Texans.

Houston is a big market team. I don't think it would take a lot to get people interested in the Texans if they just fielded a team and staff that doesn't consistently implode when it matters.

I'm tired of this line of thinking. No one cares about us, we're a small market team. We're just an expansion franchise, and etc.

You are what you make yourself be. That all can be changed with ease. Hell, this is Houston Texas for heaven's sake! We're the 4th largest city in the US. That is not a "small market" especially when you consider the fact that we had a football team before, and we've had a basketball team and a baseball team for decades now.

Any franchise can make themselves a big time franchise. It's all about how big you want to be really. Dallas Cowboys franchise has always had it sights set high and they became America's team. Jerry Jones has gone way out of his way to make their team known and in the spotlight. It's not always for good reason and I don't agree with all of his antics, but it's better than just feeling like being "small" and an under dog is the way to be.

Just look at the Dallas Mavericks. THey were never even thought about in the NBA for so freaking long. No one gave a damn about the Mavs. Mark Cuban came in there and made the Mavs WELL KNOWN. He changed that entire philosophy and the perception of that franchise, and not just because he made them a winning team, but he made sure that they were talked about and well known. Cuban may also be a jack ass at times, but his influence has been far greater than any other Mavs owner in their history and they are a lot better with him than without him.

Bob Mcnair needs to do the same for the Texans. He needs to make a statement to the rest of the NFL and the rest of the country, that we're a fierce franchise and one to look out for on the regular. He doesn't necessarily have to go the same route as Jerry Jones, Mark Cuban, or a Dan Snyder or anything, but he needs to do something. I'm sick of this mind set, and I'm tired of hearing people say stuff like "no one cares about the Texans."

Cower will not be in Texans locker room

Gary Kubiak has taken a team that could not win against the Katy Tigers and got them to a level where we compete with every team in the league.
He will have one more year to prove his ability and take us to the promise land.
It is easy to forget 2 and 12 but it is still in our history so get ready for 1 more year and one hell of a playoff run. Remember the Superbowl is in Cowboys Stadium and I want to win that so bad I can taste it. So all you soap crazy couch coaches put the soap back in the shower and lets get behind this team like Luv Ya Blue.

Gary Kubiak has taken a team that could not win against the Katy Tigers and got them to a level where we compete with every team in the league.
He will have one more year to prove his ability and take us to the promise land.
It is easy to forget 2 and 12 but it is still in our history so get ready for 1 more year and one hell of a playoff run. Remember the Superbowl is in Cowboys Stadium and I want to win that so bad I can taste it. So all you soap crazy couch coaches put the soap back in the shower and lets get behind this team like Luv Ya Blue.

The support for Kubiak is long gone and left the train station. He hasn't done anything to show that he's a competent HC that can make this team a winner. He's the same type of guy that Capers was. You want to talk about forgetting things like 2-14. Did you forget 7-9 when Capers was here when he should have been axed? What happened next? We went 2-14. You seem to forget exactly how all that happened. You hold onto a lame duck HC that's a glorified OC and then your entire franchise falls apart from top to bottom and the few good players that you have, end up saying ADIOS and looking for greener pastures. We're just lucky as hell that AJ has put up with all of this nonsense with this franchise. Many top WR's would have not done that and would have demanded a trade.

And as far as competing with every team in this league. I could give a damn about competing with every team in this league. I want to see a team that can beat almost every team in this league on a regular basis. Competing in games is one thing. Winning the majority of them is another. You can sit here and compare Kubes to Capers all you want and try and make him seem like such a great coach by comparing him to someone that was awful, but how about trying to compare him to actual successful HC's instead of losing HC's. Winners compare their success to winners and those that are above them. Losers compare their success to losers and those that are below them to make themselves feel better about themselves. This was Kubiak's last chance he has blown it.

We have no state tax.

:rolleyes: How is Mario not a "Pro Bowl caliber piece"? He's having a down year.....this year is not his norm. His norm is around 13 sacks a year and that certainly is "Pro Bowl caliber".

I am so sick of hearing how Kubiak has built a team that competes with every team in the league. Please list the # of victories Mr. Kubiak has over playoff bound teams during his career here. Nobody cares about playing teams close and then losing, competing with every team in the league means beating good-great teams also.

You're right though....Kubiak took us from being a laughing stock and elevated us to mediocre team that underachieves year in and year out. Yay! we're mediocre and don't completely suck...we love Kubiak

assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

We have no state tax.

He gets to sit on a panel every week that is viewed by millions
He only works a 1-2 days a week
He makes a ton of money at said job
He gets to see his wife and kids all the time

I personally dont see this guy coming here and until McNair fires someone there will be no change.

If you can't beat the teams in your own division you sure aren't going to have a playoff caliber team. Kubiak hasn't done that any of the years he's been in Houston.

That's where you start I think when you judge should he stay or go.

Start chomping on the Soap guys Cause that is all your gonna have if Kubes Stays. I got to hear what Bum Phillips says about the Texans and I tend to believe what he says over yall. The only problem whith Bums run and now is that Bum had a Fanbase for the Oilers win or lose. I did not compare Kubiak to Capers So stuff a sock in that. If some of you soap huggers could grab on to the wagon instead of leaving in the first of the third quarter cause you think you know football then maybe we would have a team that can finish.
I am going to enjoy this off season better than most i tell you.

Start chomping on the Soap guys Cause that is all your gonna have if Kubes Stays. I got to hear what Bum Phillips says about the Texans and I tend to believe what he says over yall. The only problem whith Bums run and now is that Bum had a Fanbase for the Oilers win or lose. I did not compare Kubiak to Capers So stuff a sock in that. If some of you soap huggers could grab on to the wagon instead of leaving in the first of the third quarter cause you think you know football then maybe we would have a team that can finish.
I am going to enjoy this off season better than most i tell you.

Oh I'm sorry....I didn't know I was talking to a super fan. :rolleyes:

You're not the only one who supports this team or goes to games to watch them lose. Frankly I hate the "I'm a better fan than you" crap, because the people who say that crap know nothing about how much money other people spend or what other people do in regards to supporting this team. (and let's get real here....do you think the "average fan" posts on a message board daily...c'mon)

And please for the love of god, stop acting like what the fans do in the stands are the reason why this team can't finish games......that's a flat out cop-out and extremely naive. Fans pay good money to sit in those seats and if they don't feel like getting donkey punched and then having to go and fight traffic afterwards, then they have every right to check out a few minutes early.....especially when their team checked out at halftime. No amount of Pom Pom shaking is going to make Kubiak become a better coach.

Last edited:
Oh I'm sorry....I didn't know I was talking to a super fan. :rolleyes:

You're not the only one who supports this team or goes to games to watch them lose. Frankly I hate the "I'm a better fan than you" crap, because the people who say that crap know nothing about how much money other people spend or what other people do in regards to supporting this team. (and let's get real here....do you think the "average fan" posts on a message board daily...c'mon)

And please for the love of god, stop acting like what the fans do in the stands are the reason why this team can't finish games......that's a flat out cop-out and extremely naive. Fans pay good money to sit in those seats and if they don't feel like getting donkey punched and then having to go and fight traffic afterwards, then they have every right to check out a few minutes early.....especially when their team checked out at halftime. No amount of Pom Pom swinging is going to make Kubiak a better coach.

thank you. Took the words right out of my mouth. Joe Texan, you need to can it about this fan crap, because you can say all damn day you're the best fan, but have the Texans ever had a winning season as you being the #1 fan? No. If you were the Texans' gift from god that you claim to be, we'd have a superbowl ring by now.

thank you. Took the words right out of my mouth. Joe Texan, you need to can it about this fan crap, because you can say all damn day you're the best fan, but have the Texans ever had a winning season as you being the #1 fan? No. If you were the Texans' gift from god that you claim to be, we'd have a superbowl ring by now.

Rep for yall's...:clap:

Back