Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Former Houston Texans DL sentenced to life in prison

It sounds like prison is where he belongs. When I see stories like this I think of the college scholarship that was wasted on him because he was big and could run.

If I remember correct, he never made the active roster. Can't remember if the Texans released him or put him on the practice squad though. That was a long time ago and one of many defensive line picks that didn't pan out.

What a waste. When I see stories like this, I always thank the Lords of Kobol that for whatever reason I didn't end up like this.

234 year sentence ... I think the Judge figured it out. [IMGwidthsize=30]http://www.thedawgpound.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/jail_smiley_emoticon.gif[/IMG]
It turned out, [Judge] Savage suggested, that authorities coddled the big guy. While on a recruiting trip to Pima County to play football in Arizona, Wright was arrested for residential burglary. Then, after he had signed with Missouri, he stole a friend's credit card and ripped him off for cash.

In both cases, Savage said from the bench, "there were literally no significant consequences" imposed on Wright, simply because the 6-3, 300-pounder out of Sacramento City College knew how to get after the quarterback.

"I don't understand all the details, of course, but it appears that your athletic achievement or prowess significantly mitigated the consequences of your youthful criminality," Savage told Wright from the bench. In Arizona, "the system gave you a break," the judge said, "and I'm confident that your status as an Arizona football prospect assisted in that regard."

Not only did the felony theft in Missouri result in no jail time for Wright, but it "had no impact on your playing time," either, Savage said.

"I have the distinct impression that your ability to sack quarterbacks worked much like a get-out-of-jail-free card," Savage told Wright. "That may have given you the wrong impression about whether or not you are required to follow the rules of this society."

Jurors convicted Wright on Oct. 22 of the three residential robberies. In one of them, jurors found he made a 61-year-old man crawl around his house on his hands and knees while the defendant held a gun to the victim's head, demanding cash and other valuables. In another, he locked two men into the trunk of a car parked in their garage while he looked for money and marijuana they didn't have.

In the most serious incident, he broke in on a woman and ordered her at gunpoint to strip naked. After forcing her to give him oral sex, he ordered her to drive him to an ATM machine and withdraw $300 cash. Then he had her drive back to her house where he stole jewelry, made her take off her top and took a picture – ordering her to "look happy," Wright's probation report said.
http://www.modbee.com/2012/12/01/2476889/former-football-star-gets-234.html

And I thought the Texans only drafted choirboys? What a piece of work this guy is. I can't remember him ever playing a down for the Texans.

There's your average run of the mill petty thieves....then there's THAT guy, someone who is flat out evil.

What a disturbed person he is.

God bring peace to the people he tormented.

A guy that had a free education some NFL money that came to him here and there, and probably could have landed some 6 figure job coaching somewhere at some point doing what he loved decides to do this kind of thing instead??

This is where physical punishment in this country would be very effective. Public caining or something of that nature. A guy who was given everything with tons of opportunities and resorts to this type of chaotic crime is inexcusable. Instead he'll probably get paroled at some point.

Wow, having the power to do good in this world and that is what this POS did. He could have opened an atheletic training company and coached up young HS players on technique and stamina etc etc.....But, no, I'll go rob and rape people!

Look at Brian Billick---Drafted in '77 and cut by 2 teams and never played in the NFL and became a wonderful SB winning coach and respected NFL analyst.

Not saying he could achieve all that -but even 10% of that success and preservation of his freedom would be success.

Last edited:
A guy that had a free education some NFL money that came to him here and there, and probably could have landed some 6 figure job coaching somewhere at some point doing what he loved decides to do this kind of thing instead??

This is where physical punishment in this country would be very effective. Public caining or something of that nature. A guy who was given everything with tons of opportunities and resorts to this type of chaotic crime is inexcusable. Instead he'll probably get paroled at some point.

Yup, just ran the numbers. A 234 year sentence, he'll be eligible 2 1/2 weeks before his 177th birthday. :D

It sounds like prison is where he belongs. When I see stories like this I think of the college scholarship that was wasted on him because he was big and could run.
Now you get to think about all the tax payer monbey that gets to keep his sorry ass alive for the next several decades. This is one of those cases where an "instant" death penalty would be warranted.

If I remember correct, he never made the active roster. Can't remember if the Texans released him or put him on the practice squad though. That was a long time ago and one of many defensive line picks that didn't pan out.

He was the last pick of the 6th round in the 2003 Draft........was placed on our practice squad........then was signed off of the practice squad by Detroit......an appropriate city for a criminal to enhance his "skills."

Back