Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Admits To Missed Call In Vikes-Saints Game

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Another egregious "no-call," strengthening the call for free offseason Zebra eye exams.

January 29, 2010 8:50 p.m.

New York, NY, United States (AHN) - The NFL is speaking out about a missed call in the NFC Championship game. The league admitted it didn't make the right call on a play that would have given the Vikings a first down and extended a Minnesota drive.

Saints defensive end Bobby McCray hit Vikings quarterback Brett Favre in the back of his legs.

The play happened in the third quarter and resulted in a interception.

It also ended with Favre being helped off the field.

In an appearance on the NFL's media outlets, Mike Pereira, VP of Officiating commented on the no call that would have reversed the subsequent interception.

"It's the type of hit that we don't want, because clearly we're trying to protect the knees and we need to focus on this to make sure we don't miss [them]," said Pereira.

Pereira said the right call had not been made during the Saints victory.

The score was tied 21-21 when Favre took the hit. He hurt his left ankle on the play, and had to get re-taped. T

he Vikings went on to lose 31-28 in overtime.

"Pretty much a direct shot into the back of [Favre's] legs," Pereira added.

The Vikings would have had a first down at the Saints' 19-yard line, but New Orleans ended up with the ball at its 31-yard-line.

Too little too late for the Vikings.

Link

That was a terrible non-call and most of us knew it at the time. Seeing Favre gingerly limp off to the sideline in the third quarter of an amazing NFC championship game made most non-Saints fans wince because a beautiful game like that should not be decided by a Tarvaris Jackson. Fortunately for the Vikings, Favre is a tough sumbich and was able to finish the game, but that particular play was a good example why the rule exists.

Hey Saints! Kiss your Lombardi hopes buh-bye because you're not getting those non-calls against the Peyton, especially now that the NFL VP of officiating has called out his refs for letting you get away with it against Brett Favre.

That should have been a call and the NFL needs professional refs but a few plays earlier they got a freebie on the Sharper roughing call IMO.

Did the NFL ever formally admit an officiating mistake with the Renfro catch?

At very least they did by hurriedly installing the instant replay system in an all-but direct response to the call. IMO they should have a Renfro Trophy for worst call of the year not overturned...lol.

The NLF - a multi-billion dollar industry - needs full time referees and more of them on the field.

For Pereira to come out and say that they missed the call because they were concentrating on the top part of Favre's body is just preposterous. They need more eyes out there, and they need to be professional refs that train year round. It's pathetic that the NFL has not done this by now.

The Colts cheap shotted Sanchez on a HANDOFF and nothing happened. For them to buckle on a lesser suspect play is sad. No sympathy for Favre though, that crackback blocking prick.

I think the league does a pretty darn good job for the most part. It's gotta be a pretty tough job watching 22 guys on the field at the same time. No other sport has that many guys on the same field at once. Some calls are just gonna be missed. I like the fact that they own up to it...beats the hell out of the NBA officiating.

I think the league does a pretty darn good job for the most part. It's gotta be a pretty tough job watching 22 guys on the field at the same time. No other sport has that many guys on the same field at once. Some calls are just gonna be missed. I like the fact that they own up to it...beats the hell out of the NBA officiating.

Wurd!!

Very true. Even though I thought the officials had a bad year this season overall at least there is feedback both to the teams and the fans.

yeah, I like it, too. Maybe the first part of fixing a problem is admitting that there is a problem. Which is why I think they need to take the next steps to hire full time officials.

Surprise, surprise.....:kitten:

Great time to revive this thread being that there was that huge missed call that the NFL refs screwed up and now we hear that the coaching staff on the Saints were paying bounties to players to hurt players and Favre specifically. ONe of the worst and most dirty displays I've ever seen by an NFL defense in that game. Totally forgot that the NFL made a public apology about it.

Back