Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

UPCOMING TEXANS FREE AGENTS

Oh Hell no, so in that scenario I either have to scramble to find his replacement with other FA/teams knowing I'm desperate because he's walking and I have no replacement or I have to pay him but because I didn't know where he would land I either haven't planned for him or I have to create two plans one with him and one without him. Better to either franchise tag him, not like we have a lot of other people we need it for, or let him walk as soon as I have his replacement.
I don't get where you think it's desperate, it should be part of the planning. If you use the franchise tag you're paying him top 5 edge money (1 year) and no other team is going to sign him to a contract if he has the franchise tag. Use of the transition tag will get the same 1 year to see if he's worth a long term commitment at a lower cost. If someone signs him, it will be more than that transition cost plus you're weren't ready to commit to him long term anyway. You said you'd be willing to let him walk, then you should already be thinking of where the replacement comes from (current roster, FA or draft).

I don't get where you think it's desperate, it should be part of the planning. If you use the franchise tag you're paying him top 5 edge money (1 year) and no other team is going to sign him to a contract if he has the franchise tag. Use of the transition tag will get the same 1 year to see if he's worth a long term commitment at a lower cost. If someone signs him, it will be more than that transition cost plus you're weren't ready to commit to him long term anyway. You said you'd be willing to let him walk, then you should already be thinking of where the replacement comes from (current roster, FA or draft).

Willing to let him and actually letting him are two different things. By willing I mean if I have his replacement lined up then yeah hit the road but if I don't then I want to be able to keep him and not put the power in his hands. You are right though that I used the wrong tag, it should be the Non-Exclusive tag because then he can still hunt for a different team but Texans get the right to match it and if he does walk we get draft picks for him.

I really like Luvu. He's not a big "name" but he is a very solid offball LB. I like Cashman, but Luvu is an upgrade imo, plus Cashman has injury history. He played most of the year in 23, to Cashman's credit. I doubt they have both on the roster.

Better to either franchise tag him, not like we have a lot of other people we need it for, or let him walk as soon as I have his replacement.
In the si.com article, PFF had quoted a 3 year, $47.25 million ($15.75 million AAV) deal for Greenard, with $31.75 million guaranteed. That is a good deal for both sides. The franchise tag for DEs is projected at over $23 million. Guaranteed for just one season. That's too much for hopefully 17+ games. I think a deal can be rerached for less if the Texans want to keep Greenard. But maybe they have their eyes on someone else?
Brian Burns in particular seems to want out of Carolina and with another new GM, HC and now the widely acknowledged worst owner in the NFL I can't blame him. Only sticking point his rumored price point of 30 million.
If Burns can get $30 million AAV from a team, he should sign there. I don't think it will be Houston.

Nice list.
There are a few on there that could be upgrades on Cashman, but at what price?

Agreed. When thinking of value I am betting that DeMeco maximizes the LB value allowing guys to outplay their contract or draft position. Spend money where we aren’t so sure.

Patrick Queen would look great on this defense but would cost a lot of money that could be spent elsewhere.

I would look into bringing in a lower tier FA that could compete with To’o To’o for LB3 snaps. I think Texans are set with top 2 LBs in Harris and Cashman. They are young ascending players.

In the si.com article, PFF had quoted a 3 year, $47.25 million ($15.75 million AAV) deal for Greenard, with $31.75 million guaranteed. That is a good deal for both sides. The franchise tag for DEs is projected at over $23 million. Guaranteed for just one season. That's too much for hopefully 17+ games. I think a deal can be rerached for less if the Texans want to keep Greenard. But maybe they have their eyes on someone else?

If Burns can get $30 million AAV from a team, he should sign there. I don't think it will be Houston.

I'm not against keeping him per say if a team friendly deal can be reached. Only thing that makes me a little gun shy is that his contract year was better than all his other years combined. Now that being said I have to be fair and admit this was the first year the team seemed to have identity and focus, thank you DeMeco, so he might have more seasons like this going forward. Just seems a lot of questions on a guy that is going to want to get paid.

Here are the Texans top free agents..........Who do we keep?........Who do we punt?:

Jonathan Greenard, Sheldon Rankins, Dalton Schultz, Steven Nelson, Ka'imi Fairbairn, Cameron Johnston, Jon Weeks, Blake Cashman, George Fant, Devin Singletary, Tavierre Thomas, Denzel Perryman, Noah Brown, Eric Murray, Jerry Hughes, Derek Barnett, Michael Deiter
depends on price. greenard pay but dont overpay. rankins needs a pay cut. shultz gets a raise. cashman gets a raise. fant same type of money. perryman can go. brown can go. hughes can go. barnett is interesting. deiter can give back some of this years money and go. fairburn no raise

It's going to take a couple of brinks trucks to sign Greenard

I’d let him walk. I know having him in the line with WA would be awesome, but when he gets that boatload of money, I’m not sure he would put in the same amount of effort than he did when was after that payday. If he really, really wants to come back and play for the Texans, he can relay that with his agent.

Where i’m at with Greenard:

1) How much of the production is scheme? DeMeco defenses get DL paid. That’s just how it works. So how much do you want to pay Greenard when there’s a good chance his replacement will impress?

2) Will Anderson. We drafted him to be our Bosa. You have to expect him to demand attention and elevate the play of those around him. And build your roster with that in mind.

3) DL rotation. Even when healthy, these starting DL are playing roughly 60-70% of snaps. Would you rather get two Barnetts for the price of one Greenard and have quality snaps for 100% of the game at that position?

3 years/45 million the juice is worth the squeeze. But if we are getting over 20 million/year then I am thinking that extra money could be allocated elsewhere. Like the player, but from a roster building outlook it gets tricky. Congrats to him on a great year!

Will any of our free agents return us a 3rd or 4th round compensation pick if they leave?

Edit- actually this may not be important consideration if the Texans sign some big time free agents, I think that will negate compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will any of our free agents return us a 3rd or 4th round compensation pick if they leave?

Edit- actually this may not be important consideration if the Texans sign some big time free agents, I think that will negate compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You just answered your question with the edit.
Greenard would likely fetch a 3rd. But if you replace him with a similar level contract then it gets cancelled out.

Rankins/Nelson/Schultz/Singletary maybe a 4-5 each. I am not too knowledgeable about the compensatory formula but I think it is heavily weighted by contract amount they sign.

But again, if these guys leave you have to replace them which negates their comp pick value. Unless you replace them via the draft which wouldn’t be feasible this year to replace all of them.

Nice list.
There are a few on there that could be upgrades on Cashman, but at what price?

Azeez Al-Shaair is the only choice here. He’s young, fast, healthy and played under Meco in SF before signing the 1 year deal with Tenn.

I have gone back and forth on Greenard. Part of me wants to make a real push for Chris Jones with the money you’d need to allocate to Greenard. No guarantee you get Jones. Probably easier to re-sign Greenard before he hits FA. But if they don’t i’m confident the DeMeco defense will find production in that DE opposite WA role.

Hindsight obviously you’d use the Tytus Howard money on Greenard but can’t predict injuries or future performance.
You can predict over rated for his entire career.

Losing so many players to free agency will be interesting to see how Caserio works replacing them all. $70M cap space seems a lot, but it's not. Signing 25 bottom tier players at $1M each will leave about $45M to spend on several better quality players. This won't go far; maybe one or two higher dollar players, at most, and the rest in the $3M - $5M range. Caserio will be earning his salary this coming off season.

I’d like to Caserio use his cap space to secure his most important Texans free agents. That’s not 70M+ worth of free agents.

Caserio should use his best draft picks to work the draft for additional picks while keeping his targets in play. Keep building this young team with more young playmakers.

If the Texans pull off a 9 to 10 win season in 2024, that would be huge if accomplished with a younger and cheaper roster.

I’d like to Caserio use his cap space to secure his most important Texans free agents. That’s not 70M+ worth of free agents.

Caserio should use his best draft picks to work the draft for additional picks while keeping his targets in play. Keep building this young team with more young playmakers.

If the Texans pull off a 9 to 10 win season in 2024, that would be huge if accomplished with a younger and cheaper roster.
I agree, but there will be disagreement over the essential players to keep.

Fant, Greenard, Nelson, Schultz, Singletary, Cashman - that's about $50M. That leaves only $20M or so to fill out your roster with minimum contracts.

But I agree. Maintain continuity by keeping as many of your own free agents as possible and build through the draft. Then add one or two other free agents.

Losing so many players to free agency will be interesting to see how Caserio works replacing them all. $70M cap space seems a lot, but it's not. Signing 25 bottom tier players at $1M each will leave about $45M to spend on several better quality players. This won't go far; maybe one or two higher dollar players, at most, and the rest in the $3M - $5M range. Caserio will be earning his salary this coming off season.
You can create another 10 mil or more by

Adding 6 draft picks, 3 UDFA, cutting Woods and Johnston.

So you can add 1 or 2 difference makers and a solid player or 2 in FA.

Really? It's estimated Jones will cost $30M a year. Greenard, maybe $15M. Our cap will be about $70M. We're losing about 25 players in free agency. You'd have to shop the bargain basement to fill out the rest of the team.
Since when does AAV equal first year cap hit? And you're assuming all those voidable years contracts are picked back up

Since when does AAV equal first year cap hit? And you're assuming all those voidable years contracts are picked back up
Yes, each of those contracts represent a roster spot that has to be filled.

My post simply represents a starting point that explains the situation the team is in. I also said that it will be interesting to see how Caserio works his magic. No one of us at this point has any inkling how Caserio will work the contracts for next year.

Yes, each of those contracts represent a roster spot that has to be filled.

My post simply represents a starting point that explains the situation the team is in. I also said that it will be interesting to see how Caserio works his magic. No one of us at this point has any inkling how Caserio will work the contracts for next year.
So we can't really say that signing both Jones and Greenard is impossible. That $70M # figures in all those voidable contracts. Not signing Hughes and cutting Woods, Beck and Stewart will add another $10M just to start. I'm pretty sire something will be done to lessen Howard's $19M hit since he will be out awhile with the patellar injury

So we can't really say that signing both Jones and Greenard is impossible. That $70M # figures in all those voidable contracts. Not signing Hughes and cutting Woods, Beck and Stewart will add another $10M just to start. I'm pretty sire something will be done to lessen Howard's $19M hit since he will be out awhile with the patellar injury
Yep,

I'm not a cap guy, but the 49ers somehow managed to add Hargrave last yr and if Caerio wants to add Jones (doubtful) he could make it happen. Someone will make it happen that has less cap space available than the Texans if Caserio chooses not to make a move.

Someone commented, "Tell the youngin to come to the home team. CJ would love him," to which Ramirez responded, "**** I wish he would! CJ is great," referring to the Houston Texans and their rookie quarterback C.J. Stroud.
I'd give up my first for him for sure.
Jerry might get greedy and ask for more.

If Dallas would take our first this year and a 2nd next year for CeeDee I would do it. I seriously doubt Dallas would take that. It will take two firsts and probably more, so I would not go much beyond the 1 and 2. He is only 24, and among the top 5 WR’s in the league with a runway to still improve. In this offense he would be an absolute stud.

But I don’t know why Jerrah would even consider moving him. Are y’all just spit balling, or is there some smoke out there?

If Dallas would take our first this year and a 2nd next year for CeeDee I would do it. I seriously doubt Dallas would take that. It will take two firsts and probably more, so I would not go much beyond the 1 and 2. He is only 24, and among the top 5 WR’s in the league with a runway to still improve. In this offense he would be an absolute stud.

But I don’t know why Jerrah would even consider moving him. Are y’all just spit balling, or is there some smoke out there?

CeeDee is terrific, no doubt. But 2 premium draft picks for a guy you're going to have to extend to upwards of $30M/yr is steeeeep.

CeeDee is terrific, no doubt. But 2 premium draft picks for a guy you're going to have to extend to upwards of $30M/yr is steeeeep.
:includeme:\
signed L. Tunsil #78
Huge difference between paying big bucks for an LT vs. WR though, it’s good to give hyoid rookie contract QB a top WR during their rookie contract, but once you are paying market value for a top QB the teams that stay good will make do with WRs on lower money while still finding ways to pay their franchise LT. Sending multiple high draft picks for a WR for a 3 or 4 year rental doesn’t seem like a great investment.
We could go after Kool Aid, Arnold, Wiggins in the draft. 1 of the top 4 CBs should be available. And if Stingley keeps playing like he did this year. We could have a shut down duo at CB.
Funny how players’ stock rises and falls so easily. This time last year Nelson was rated so much higher than Stingley, with the common perception that at least we have this great number one CB through FA given that our high draft pick failed. Now Stingley had a good year, to my eyes Nelson did too and I’m happy to view any drop in play as being related to battling through injuries.
If you play Nelson and Stingley QBs will have to throw at them and they can both make big turnover plays. Better to pay for what you know works until something better falls into your lap.

We could go after Kool Aid, Arnold, Wiggins in the draft. 1 of the top 4 CBs should be available. And if Stingley keeps playing like he did this year. We could have a shut down duo at CB.
Yes you could and you also could be scoring 3 pts on offense and all of that defense wouldn't mean a thing.

Huge difference between paying big bucks for an LT vs. WR though, it’s good to give hyoid rookie contract QB a top WR during their rookie contract, but once you are paying market value for a top QB the teams that stay good will make do with WRs on lower money while still finding ways to pay their franchise LT. Sending multiple high draft picks for a WR for a 3 or 4 year rental doesn’t seem like a great investment.

Funny how players’ stock rises and falls so easily. This time last year Nelson was rated so much higher than Stingley, with the common perception that at least we have this great number one CB through FA given that our high draft pick failed. Now Stingley had a good year, to my eyes Nelson did too and I’m happy to view any drop in play as being related to battling through injuries.
If you play Nelson and Stingley QBs will have to throw at them and they can both make big turnover plays. Better to pay for what you know works until something better falls into your lap.

Exactly

Also I'm not against drafting a CB or S, just not in the 1st rd.

Personally, I have never thought of Nelson as a #1 nor great CB. I'd be surprised if anyone has. I'd say he has performed as a solid mid level CB.

Nelson is about to be 31 and I don't know how much he has left. Take a young CB as a FA or the draft

I don't think three to four years is a rental of any sort especially if his last two seasons were tagging right at 1500 yd. Of course, I am referring to AJ Brown if he becomes eligible in a trade.

I still think Jalen Johnson will not be tagged by the Bears and they've had plenty of time in his point of view at any rate, to have extended him if they were going to. If we had him opposite sting, I think Nelson would agree to a more reasonable contract as I think he really wants to stay in a system that made him who he is this season.

Chris jones, Jalen and linebacker Josh Allen would be a huge start in free agency and adding Trent Brown to the right tackle would give us a huge step towards the ring.

Yes you could and you also could be scoring 3 pts on offense and all of that defense wouldn't mean a thing.
True but our 22 ppg should easily be 25 and defense I want will win most of our games. You know I do want to give Stroud at least one more High value Target. We can do both. The question is, will we?

Nelson is about to be 31 and I don't know how much he has left. Take a young CB as a FA or the draft
31 does cause hesitation, however I have seen nothing that indicates he will not be good for another 2 years. I'm more concerned about the guaranteed money he wants.

True but our 22 ppg should easily be 25 and defense I want will win most of our games. You know I do want to give Stroud at least one more High value Target. We can do both. The question is, will we?
If Tank is healthy I will agree with you. If not you can expect to see more of what we saw in the Ravens game.They can probably add 1 impact guy and 2 solid guys in FA. I hope they spend their fa money on defense and draft mostly playmakers on offense. Remember the schedule is going to be much tougher next season so they will need to score more.

If Tank is healthy I will agree with you. If not you can expect to see more of what we saw in the Ravens game.They can probably add 1 impact guy and 2 solid guys in FA. I hope they spend their fa money on defense and draft mostly playmakers on offense. Remember the schedule is going to be much tougher next season so they will need to score more.

My FA targets are defensive playmakers and a workhorse RB. Plenty of candidates available to fill those roles.

Draft I want those young playmakers on rookie contracts for CJ to light up the scoreboard with like you do. Find some depth in the late rounds where the holes weren’t plugged in FA and this team will be ready to compete against anyone next season.

Back