Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dan Reeves Hired!!!

Coach C.

Veteran
Ex-Falcons coach Dan Reeves has been hired by Mr. McNair to be a consultant for the Texans. Reeves job description will be to evaluate talent of players and other personell not specified. There will be a press conference coming soon. It is good to see McNair bring in older coaches to check out our players. Reeves has taken two teams to the Superbowl and has been a legitimate winner in this league. This should be a step in the right direction and provide insight into the true talent depth of our franchise.

Coach C. said:
Ex-Falcons coach Dan Reeves has been hired by Mr. McNair to be a consultant for the Texans. Reeves job description will be to evaluate talent of players and other personell not specified. There will be a press conference coming soon. It is good to see McNair bring in older coaches to check out our players. Reeves has taken two teams to the Superbowl and has been a legitimate winner in this league. This should be a step in the right direction and provide insight into the true talent depth of our franchise.

If indeed this happens:
This is GREAT for our franchise. I wouldn't be against him moving in as Head Coach either.

But I agree, we need someone like him to help us get back on track.

Thanks for the Info.

:texflag:

He is a consultant. I do not know if he is considered as a possible HC. This is not an If it has already happened.

Mark Berman, Fox 26 News. that is my link... You will have to wait till the press conference for the official word.

I really don't know whether or not he'd be wanting to be more than a consultant. I caught an interview he had on Outside The Lines a little while back, and he mentioned something about how he couldn't put the amount of time in that a HC position would require anymore. I would be glad to see him helping this organization get back on track though.

thanx vinny for backing me on this one. I would have waited, but I thought the MB might as well know. The press conference should be later on today or tomorrow. From what I hear Reeves is a consultant and has no real interest in coaching due to his heart problems. McNair "might" be looking at him as a replacement for Casserly though. Reeves and McNair are alumni of South Carolina so they have a good history. Should be interesting.

I welcome any other potential football mind to come to the table and help our teams owner by giving him an alternative opinion to Charlie Casserly. Even if he concurs with everything Casserly says (independently) I still think it's a great thing to bring someone else in to help Bob figure out what needs fixing. It's particularly good if Reeves honestly does have no internal desire to coach or seize any kind of power. As an unbiased consultant and friend of McNair he'll be invaluable.

Cool. I to have to wonder about the future of Casserly. What message does this send to Casserly?? WOW, What a turn of events.

COOL!

Thanks for the info Coach C.:texflag:

I just got a cryptic email telling me to tune in at 3:30 so I assume that is when the Texans officially announce this hiring.

Hey Vinny I finally beat you to the punch once. Still not close to your tenure, but working on becoming a well respected poster. Also, just got an email bout 10 minutes ago. Seems like the offseason may start a little early. Cant wait to meet Coach Reeves.

I say nanana nanana hey hey hey Goodbye...Charlie.

I say hire Reeves as GM, and get rid of Charlie, who has detroyed this team.

I also hope part of his evalution is to let Mcnair know what a fraud David Carr is an NFL QB....at least so far. This is a guy who coached John Elway and knows a real NFL QB when he sees one. I think Cass has been blowing smoke up Mcnair's chimney telling him that Carr is about to break out any time now. Cass doesn't look too good if Carr is a bum does he?

This is the most excited I have been about anything off the field since....well since I cannot remember. Reeves for GM! :texflag:

I like Dan Reeves. I think his firing was a little unwarranted because they didn't have Michael Vick for most of the year and I think he did a good job of setting up this team that has had pretty good success in Atlanta.

Terrific news! Reeves will come in and most likely shadow Capers and staff and help with the pink slips. I still feel that Cass will be back next year.

It will interesting how McNair defines his role and authority and how long he has that capacity.

Thanks for the catch Coach and back up V.

This is good news because it shows the team is wanting to try and change directions. I read about this rumor earlier today on profootballtalk, but didn't think it would be Reeves. Pleasant surprise.

I hope he has the authority to insist Wand and Armstrong get playing time over the inferior players that have been playing in front of them all year. Maybe Murphy'll be active again too, since apparently Pendry never forgave him for Pitts' false start a couple of weeks ago.

Reeves was a big proponent of the thunder and lightning running back system. He set up the successful tandem of Duckett and Dunn.

This is good news and should be pretty solid for the team in general. Also RealJoker Yves Edwards is a beast in the octagon. Holla atcha boy. MT Boxing is my heart kid. Vinny I have heard one of his speeches the guy tells alot about his faith and how it guided him through some tough times in his life. He is a stand up guy, who will admit his mistakes and failures, and try to teach others to learn from them so they can be successful.

Reeves, a former NFL player and coach, last appeared in the league as the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. The current record-holder for the most Super Bowl appearances as a player and coach with nine, Reeves was drafted as a quarterback out of the University of South Carolina by the Dallas Cowboys in 1965. After being slowed by injuries, Reeves retired from playing in 1972 and took several position coaching jobs before becoming the head coach of the Denver Broncos in 1981. Reeves' career coaching record is 201-174-2, including an 11-9 record in the playoffs.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13967239p-14801327c.html

Q: Earlier this week, you talked about possibly bringing someone in with experience into the front office for you to bounce ideas off of. Don't you use (former head coach) Dan Reeves in that capacity?

A: I will always use the guys that I have a tremendous amount of respect for. Dan has been through some of the things I've had to deal with. But he's also been through Super Bowls that he's lost in bad ways - he's got a tremendous amount of experience. (Ravens coach) Brian Billick has a lot of experience. I call on them. But that's different than having your own people.

what does this say about charlie casserly? bob mcnair has to bring someone in to give him opinions on what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. why pay two guys to do one thing?

if you don't trust the guy to make decisions then get rid of him and put a more competent person in the position.

Frills said:
He's just saying that if you don't trust your own guys, fire them first, then hire Reeves

I'd have to disagree with that logic, since he apparently isn't bringing in the next coach if Reeves is truly here to evaluate talent. This evaluation is something the staff has proven to be inept in, and I don't think there is anything wrong with McNair holding them accountable for their poor performance. It's not like he's looking over the shoulder of a successful staff.

This is a way for McNair to protect the future of his team, since he can't rely on the current staff to perform competent and/or fair evaluations.

tulexan said:
what does this say about charlie casserly? bob mcnair has to bring someone in to give him opinions on what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. why pay two guys to do one thing?

if you don't trust the guy to make decisions then get rid of him and put a more competent person in the position.

Well, I'm pretty certain that the coaches are not playing the players that Casserly wants on the field. Maybe Reeves will vindicate Casserly's evaluation of talent, if not his unwillingness to impose his will on the coaching staff. (or vice versa, of course)

This is about as big a 'no confidence' vote you could give Casserly without outright firing him. It's similar to when Dom brought in Pendry. Shocking and a bit strange.

Put this together with this McNair quote from the Justice article the other day and it's clear McNair is publicly hanging his GM out to dry.

When you're new, I think there's a feeling you have to do everything your football people tell you. You hear, 'Well, you haven't been in the NFL for 20 years, so you couldn't possibly know. That's not the way we do it in the NFL.'

I wouldn't be surprised if this starts a chain of events leading to Casserly's resignation. Casserly's contract is up soon anyway isn't it? He was hired in early '00 so he will hit the 6 year mark in a few weeks.

I doubt Casserly is going anywhere. I think Reeves is simply to evaluate talent and procedures to help McNair get things back on track. I would not mind him as the GM and Reeves would also know how to get the most out of Carr.

Was Kubiak with the Broncos when Coach Reeves was? Perhaps he will be the heir apparent coach to be with Reeves as GM.

Greta news!
I can see Coach Reeves moving to the GM position/Head Coach and Dom being sort of an asst Head Coach/Def coordinator....
who knows, but the USC connection is HUGE with Mr McNair.

Back