Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dan Reeves Hired!!!

I really like this move today - IT shows if nothing else that Mcnair is certainly takign a more "Hands on" approach to managing the team he owns. More than anything this move I think is insurance against coaches and staffers tryign to save their own jobs by trashing a player or another person on the squad to save their own butt [Cass & capers]

With the recent info coming out about how drafts, certain trades and other office and talent evaluations were done up to this point - I think Mr. Mcnair now has some doubts about his staff's honesty and disclosure to him about their choices and decisions up to this point regarding players, playcalling, trades, drafting etc.

IMO - Just fro ma business standpoint - A smart biz professional would hire a QA firm to come in and do an audit of things and give them an unbiased opinion of how biz has been done. We get one every year at my company as most clients require it as a checks and balances and keepign their business thats out of sight - in lien with how they want things done and alert them to problems.

Honestly I think more than anything Dan is here to Audit everyone in the franchise - top to bottom and give Mcnair some insurance between him and Casserley which he obviously has lost some faith in. It also gives him an unbiased and friendly opinion of his business before the end of the year and draft / FA start so he has more than one persons view of how to next move forward with the team at this point and how to get things back on track.

He obviously allready has Charlie's input -

My take is - so he hired a consultant to backcheck Charlie's evaluation. IF the man cant stand scrutiny of his job - IMHO he doesnt deserve to keep it. Newsflash Charlie - if you dont know some of your decisions have been very poor and others more than questionable in the development of this team - then you obviously are not the man to keep this team moving forward and should resign if you feel that uncomfortable with your body of work for Mr. Mcnair up to this point. I would hazard a guess that Charlie was not consulted for the Reeves hire and found out like everyone else did which once again shows like this an audit. So now Charlie doesnt get free reign and no more "You dont have 20 years in the NFL so you dont understand" statements will fly to the owner to wash over things - Reeves will most likely question Charlies decisions and will be looking over his shoulder and probing aroung the office, questioning and evaluating the franchise as his job. Of course this wont make Charlie feel comfortable at all. If he is completely honest with several of his own suspect decisions that have recently come to light along with his drafting the last 4 years and how that talent has transferred on to the field he would take more of an approach to try working with Dan the whole way and saying he has nothing to hide that he has done his best and welcomes Dan's experience on the team and help in development of the franchises future.

Man, I'm stoked! :thumbup

"Dan Reeves is a former NFL player and head coach who holds the record for most Super Bowl appearances as a player or a coach with 9."

Reeves is a winner, both as a player and as a coach. He's got a ring as a player and as a coach, and he's a protege of the late, great Tom Landry.

He's got championship blood, and I think this is a great move.

McNair was just on 610. From what he said, I gather he is pretty well sold on DD and not keeping Bush- "that (RB) isn't one of the areas we need help in" and as to Carr, he seemed to be pretty much leaning toward giving him the bonus, but he wasn't as definite about that.

Buffi2 said:
McNair was just on 610. From what he said, I gather he is pretty well sold on DD and not keeping Bush- "that (RB) isn't one of the areas we need help in" and as to Carr, he seemed to be pretty much leaning toward giving him the bonus, but he wasn't as definite about that.

Trading down...here we come!!

I think that Capers is gone and Mr. McNair doesn't want to go into the draft without talent evaluater. He is not going to rush into hiring a new HC and a new staff. He will go after Pete Carrol (sp) and maybe Reeves can guide him to the right HC. I don't think McNair trust Casserly any more after P-burnt debacle, but I don't think he will get rid of him. He knows a lot about the cap numbers and how to deal with it and it's hard to find someone like that.

Let's see, wasn't Pendry just coming in to be a line coach? He somehow ends up the offensive coordinator.

Dan Reeve's was hired just to be a consultant. What is the next step.

This organization is just a little too transparent, a squirrel can see what is going on behind the scenes.

WWJD said:
Was Kubiak with the Broncos when Coach Reeves was? Perhaps he will be the heir apparent coach to be with Reeves as GM.
I know Kubiak was a player under Reeves as a backup QB to Elway, but I am not sure about as a coach.

McNair has very publicly declared his mistrust of Casserly, first in words in the Justice article, and now in deed by bringing in Reeves for a "six week" contract (and who knows how many other times behind closed doors). Any Senior VP worth a grain of salt would have his resignation letter on the CEO's desk tomorrow morning if not sooner, especially considering the way this was handled. If Casserly has any pride - and we know he has plenty - he will resign.

i think there is no way to see this as a bad move...mcclain is right...mcnair has no trust in casserly or capers...and after this season why shoud he...look at casserly's moves...trade for babin, trade for buchanan, signed some questionable at best FA's...and has had some back luck in rounds under the 1st round...personally i see dan reeves staying in as the GM of this team...he'll hire a good coach...i wonder if him and jimmy johnson get along...not sure on that one but i would assume him and kubiak could get along just fine

Thanks Coach C for the early "heads up" on the good news. Your post today is a perfect example of why many of us spend time on this MB. Every once in awhile you, Vinny or someone else will offer some real insight into what the heck is going on with Texans. Nice going and many thanks!:texflag:

I was in the car when John McClain was on the radio during the 2:00 hour. He sounded angry and disgusted. He called it a slap in the face of Charley Casserly and said that Dan Reeves was a talk show host that no team wants.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think Casserly may have a better chance of keeping his job with a temporary consultant like Reeves evaluating the situation. I think McNair just isn't sure how deep (or how broad) to cut. He needs to get a solid opinion about whether the Texans' situation is truly a coaching problem or a personnel problem.

Buffi2 said:

Listened to the press conference and McNair after that.

1. I think it is a nice move. If you clean house and then get a consultant you have lost any input you woulda received from all the coaches/assistant coaches.

2. Genius marketing. It demonstrates to the fans that even tho he hasn't pulled the plug, he cares and he is willing to spend some jack showing it.

3. The only thing that would make John McClain happy is if McNair did everything he says. Last time that happened, we left the roof open for the Pittsburgh game. (McClain for weeks prior to that game had been talking on the radio about how wussy the Texans were for not opening the roof. That turned out double plus ungood.) I do think it is a hard thing to cut the legs out from your current staff, but at least everybody is saying the right things about it. I think my observation #1 mitigates against McClain's cranky comment du jour.

4. Like with most stuff, I try to give the team of the benefit of the doubt and hope that it works out. If winning was easy, then everybody would be doing it every year.

5. Might be a Kubiak signal.

6. When I listened to McNair talk about the Bush thing, I dint hear that as a dis of Bush but rather confirming that DD is doing an exemplary job. He really can't comment on Bush (a junior), and it is not a good thing to dump your current players in the grease. So saying nice things about DD and giving him a vote of confidence doesn't mean squat other that McNair has some sense.

7. Liked the discussion of the difference between "Lose" "Loose" "Loss" etc--you'd think we'd have figured that one out by this time in the season. :)

Tulip said:
I was in the car when John McClain was on the radio during the 2:00 hour. He sounded angry and disgusted. He called it a slap in the face of Charley

Maybe Casserly needs a slap in the face.:)

Capers on the blocked and missed field goal attempts yesterday, "Well, we just didn't execute." I would like to give Capers a slap in the face when he uses that e word.:bomb:

Buffi2 said:

I wouldn't put too much weight on what he said on a radio show. Reggie hasn't even declared yet, even though he will, so Bob McNair isn't going to go out and say that he is going to draft Reggie Bush. He isn't allowed to say that because there are rules about talking about undeclared underclassmen. He isn't going to tip his hand on what he is going to draft either. Teams rarely say who they want or what they want because they want to have all of the bargaining chips available. The second that you say who you want, teams looking to trade up will go to different teams if they want someone.

For example: Let's say that the Texans have the first pick and they announce that they are going to pick Reggie Bush. Well some team that wants Matt Leinart will start dealing with the Niners or who ever else because they know that they don't have to give up as much to get him.

And he isn't going to blast a player (except Phillip Buchanon) in the middle of the season and make him feel unwanted. McNair is a man of class, and doing something like that would be similar to him firing Capers in the middle of the season.

swisher said:
I think this was a blind side to Casserly. He's got to be thinking his job's in jeopardy.

I should friggin hope he thinks his job in jeopardy! :) Surely it didn't take this move for him to start sweatin', and nobody here's really upset at the idea.

Also, if he was blindsided by this, I'm sure there will be at least 2 posters on this board who will somehow say that this, too, was Dom Capers' fault. :fishing:

Charley, let go.

"...For example: Let's say that the Texans have the first pick and they announce that they are going to pick Reggie Bush. Well some team that wants Matt Leinart will start dealing with the Niners or who ever else because they know that they don't have to give up as much to get him..." -- tulexan

----------------------------

So how do you figure our first draft pick ever: David Carr himself, who if I am not mistaken was already signed before draft day or was all but signed before draft day...had toured Houston and was already in the mode of relocation for his family to Houston, etc.? Theteam had made that call pretty much right after the final whistle had blown at Carr's last college game.

McNair would have said, "No comment on Reggie because he's not declared yet..." or something to that effect if the rules were what he cares about. He doesn't so much care about the rules or any other sort of standard politically-correct protocol right now as we have seen by him hiring a former HC and/or GM like Reeves.

No, in my opinion McNair is trying to telegraph to all of us (fans) as well as to the front office itself that the ownership is not interested in making the sexy draft pick just because that's what's expected with all this Reggie Bush hype that's been going on. IMO, McNair is screaming to all of us that the buck is stopping with him and he's seen enough, too.

We've all been begging McNair to do something, and this was an AWESOME first step. It's not McNair trying to put on the football hat and fix it himself. It's McNair being a smart businessman and understanding that your organization has had the wind knocked out of it and things need to be flipped upside down.

This doesn't happen in Detroit with the Ford Family who has just ridden Matt Millen through all of the bad draft picks, coaching picks, etc. They think they know how to do it, and it's why they haven't sniffed playoffs in like 80 years or so.

Good job, McNair. Nice chess move.

Get with it gpshafer_1976 and stop shooting from the hip, he say "DECLARED". Carr wasn
t officially signed before the draft, just that they had agreed to terms, but nothing was signed.

That is why I said rarely. There are cases where teams know who they are going to draft and everyone else does. But a lot of times that is not the case, and when we have a team with several needs, other teams don't know what we are going to do either.

It's good to know McNair will have someone to council him on some key
subjects since Casserly's opinion alone is not enough for obviuos reasons.
And this even more undermines whatever authority Casserly may have left.
I would really like to see someone like Reeves as GM, but would prefer a
younger NFL assistant or college head coach as the new HC here.
But in the next month or so, maybe Reeves can help McNair out with the
decision on whgether or not to retain Carr.

gpshafer_1976 said:
McNair would have said, "No comment on Reggie because he's not declared yet..." or something to that effect if the rules were what he cares about. He doesn't so much care about the rules or any other sort of standard politically-correct protocol right now as we have seen by him hiring a former HC and/or GM like Reeves.

I don't even know what the exact question was. Someone posted here that he was very complimentary about Dominack Davis and assumed that meant that we are not going to draft Reggie Bush.

Wow, good news to my ears upon getting on the beltway to go home from work. Dan Reeves??!!!! Cool. I realized something reading the article on the homepage, I'm really beginning to think #5 will end up here next season. Why wouldn't McNair pick up someone from his alma mater? I digress. This is a good step for the Texans. Still gotta wait for 1/2/06 though. Until then, Come on Texans, let's get over that hump and win these last few games.

*secretly rooting for the other teams in the running for the 1st pick to win too. :heh:

KUDOS TO MR. MCNAIR!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I love the team, and as a PSL holder have put up thousands of dollars to support it. Today is the happiest I've been about the team's future since it became clear this was going to be a debacle of a season. The Browns victory provided a salve of relief, but did nothing to alleviate my concern about the future.

I was on my way back to work when McClain was on 610 discussing the hiring of Reeves, and had to shake my head at some of McClain's comments. I've always liked McClain, but some his comments in recent weeks have caused me to lose confidence in his judgment (though I still think he's smarter than Justice, who is a lost cause; as an aside, why can't the Chronicle hire smarter football writers?).

I didn't hear the whole interview, but here were some of the things I remember (paraphrasing), as well as my response (which was not broadcast!):

McClain: He didn't agree with McNair's decision at all.

Me: I do. I think this move is great. Casserly has been feeding McNair a bunch of bull. Now McNair has a longtime, respected NFL guy to give him an unvarnished opinion of the team and its players.

McClain: This hiring was "a slap in the face" to Charley Casserly.

Me: True enough, but he deserves it! Whenever I see him on TV or listen to him on the radio (which I don't do much anymore because I can't stand him), he looks and sounds like a conniving snake oil salesman to me.

McClain: If McNair doesn't have confidence in Casserly's judgment, just fire him.

Me: Great idea! I wish McNair would fire him. The sooner, the better. If not, maybe Casserly will see the writing on the wall and quit. My fear is he will stuff his pride in his back pocket, take all the humiliation he's going to get as the Head Shoeshine Boy of the Texans, and continue to collect his unearned paycheck until he is officially fired at the end of the season.

McClain: He has never seen an owner do this sort of thing before (i.e., bring in a consultant in the middle of a season, which will make things uncomfortable for the GM and coach) in his 4 decades covering football.

Me: Who cares whether this has been done before or not? There is no manual given to owners when they acquire an NFL team. McNair is doing what he did as a successful businessman: Think strategically and make decisions based on logic after thoroughly gathering the facts. Hiring Reeves will help him gather the facts.

McClain: Apparently couldn't see how Reeves, who coached the 4-3 defense, could evaluate the players in a 3-4 defense.

Me: I thought that was a particularly dumb comment. Reeves has been in the league for decades at the highest level. Even if he didn't run the 3-4, he certainly coached against it long enough to be able to evaluate whether the Texans are running it effectively and whether its players are suited for it.

Anyway, I once again have hope for the team's future. I was starting to wonder after Justice's article, which made it sound like Justice had inside information that McNair had decided to keep Casserly. Now it looks like Casserly's being thrown under the bus!!! :yahoo:

Hopefully, Mr. McNair will hire a replacement who will be able to perform his job competently. I have every confidence he will hire the best person for the job, and that the future is bright!

GO TEXANS!!!

HoustonFan said:
I'm really beginning to think #5 will end up here next season. Why wouldn't McNair pick up someone from his alma mater?

Because the USC of relevance is the University of South Carolina "Gamecocks" not the University of Southern California "Trojans".

tulexan said:
McNair went to South Carolina not Southern Cal

Awwwwwwh, **** nevermind that previous post. Oversite. Damn, that was a ba done too, ah well. *smh Bush wouldn't be a bad addition, but let's see what Reeves thinks after the season.

CowboysTexansFan said:
I was on my way back to work when McClain was on 610 discussing the hiring of Reeves, and had to shake my head at some of McClain's comments. I've always liked McClain, but some his comments in recent weeks have caused me to lose confidence in his judgment (though I still think he's smarter than Justice, who is a lost cause; as an aside, why can't the Chronicle hire smarter football writers?).

I haven't listened to McClain much lately, but he sounded like he was throwing a temper tantrum today. I've never heard him present himself in such an unprofessional manner. I could hear the steam coming out of his ears. He hurled multiple insults at Dan Reeves while trying to make himself sound objective by prefacing each insult with some insincere compliment.

It was so weird. Honestly, that McClain interview was almost as interesting as the announcement itself.

I think he'll eventually move into the head coaches job. I think it's funny how he said he won't be involved with game planning or the players, but he will be evaluating them. Sure. Smart move by McNair. Bring in a new coach and have him start getting an idea of his personel a little early, see who is still playing and who's quit. It also means we might not have to go through a total roster teardown since Reeves ran the 3-4 D in the past. Next season Reeves will coach but Casserley will still be the GM.

Buffi2 said:

Yeah, let's pass up on Reggie Bush and give David Carr a bonus after his stellar 4th year! Now you know why he hired Dan Reeves.

John McClain sounded plenty cranky today. I didn't quite get the opinion he tossed out about the hiring but you could tell he didn't like it.

On the "this may not be as big a deal as you might think" side. They said on the radio Dan Reeves is not moving to Houston and will remain in Atlanta. So his opinions will be expressed long distance for now.

WWJD said:
...Dan Reeves is not moving to Houston and will remain in Atlanta. So his opinions will be expressed long distance for now.

He'll be at several practices over the next three weeks.

What is it with Justice and McClain being such staunch defenders of Charley Casserly? Are they close personal friends of his? Does Casserly wine and dine them?

As I said, I've always liked McClain, but recently he's said a number of things that have caused me to shake my head. On Friday, he said himself on the radio that he "wasn't that smart."

Unfortunately, I have to agree with him.

I loved the letter to the sports editor today in the Chronicle. The reader more or less summed up my feelings nicely.

"Get with it gpshafer_1976 and stop shooting from the hip, he say "DECLARED". Carr wasn
t officially signed before the draft, just that they had agreed to terms, but nothing was signed.
" -ses

-------------------------------

Geez...somebody forgot to take their happy pills today.

Grab a Dr. Pepper and relax a little, ses.

If anybody was shooting from the hip it was tulexan who was "thinking out loud" about why McNair said he was happy/pleased with DD, etc.

I think sometimes we think smart businessmen are so much smarter than the rest of us that they play all of these head games and bluff, etc. When in reality, McNair is probably speaking from his (GASP!) heart when he says he's pleased with DD and that there's not a great need at RB right now (according to a comment buffi2 put inside QUOTATION MARKS).

But, the Reggie Bush fans are begging for any bone to be thrown their way as to why we will/should take Bush with our high draft pick.

So who is shooting from the hip?

gpshafer_1976 said:
I think sometimes we think smart businessmen are so much smarter than the rest of us that they play all of these head games and bluff, etc.

I agree with you, man. I've learned quite a bit this past few weeks about our front office. Way more than in our four seasons.

Casserly is not necessarily the football genius that he, or anyone else, makes him out to be. Sure he's smart about salary cap management and all that jazz, but little revelation that he only watched four games on Buchanan really knocks him down a few, IMO.

And I've got all the respect in the world for Mr. McNair, but he's an NFL noob no matter how we look at it. He's really just one of us (ie. fans) with gazzillions of dollars to buy a team. But he doesn't necessarily have any more idea than we do just because he purchased a football franchise. Learning that he took advice from other NFL owners about hiring the dynamic duo of Casserly/Capers kinda' opened my eyes. Then finding out he let Al Davis strong arm us into the Buchanan deal was a trip...

However, he's a very successful business man, and he thought he was hiring competent people to run his team. Now that he's learned that they aren't what he needs to be successful, he's brought in a true football man, Dan Reeves, who knows winning as a player and as a coach. This is a brilliant move, and it definitely shows us that we are back on a road that we can look forward to the destination.

Reeves is a good coach, but he is a creature of habit. Just like Capers he will eventually fall in a lull. He was fired in Atlanta, due to his inability to fix the problem. Sure Johnson sucked as a QB, but Reeves had the ability to remove him and didnt. He also likes to stick with a 34 defense and dosen't like to budge on it all, this led to many problems in Atlanta. He could be useful as a consultant, but dont wish him in a HC, he might have some starting success, but we'll be here in 2 or 3 years, and I'll personally start the Fire Reeves thread. But good move Mr. McNair bringing someone in to stir the pot.

I thought it was POINTEDLY interesting that McNair said Reeves was not here to interview for the HC position, but never mentioned the same thing for the GM job. It would seem to me a good thing to have the FUTURE GM around evaluating the players and staff over the last three games. That way when you head into the offseason the new GM would have a MUCH better idea of where the team stands than if he came in in Jan. Makes good sense to me.

"He'll be in charge of blaming losses on poor execution by the players and not his caveman offense"

This sounds familiar

Georgiaboy said:
Reeves is a good coach, but he is a creature of habit. Just like Capers he will eventually fall in a lull. He was fired in Atlanta, due to his inability to fix the problem. Sure Johnson sucked as a QB, but Reeves had the ability to remove him and didnt. He also likes to stick with a 34 defense and dosen't like to budge on it all, this led to many problems in Atlanta. He could be useful as a consultant, but dont wish him in a HC, he might have some starting success, but we'll be here in 2 or 3 years, and I'll personally start the Fire Reeves thread. But good move Mr. McNair bringing someone in to stir the pot.

Sorta what I was thinking... :ok:
I was never a Reeves fan when he was coaching, but as an extra set of eyes/ears he may be able to shed some light on the teams problems to Mr McNair. Can't hurt. :shrug:

:coffee:

edo783 said:
I thought it was POINTEDLY interesting that McNair said Reeves was not here to interview for the HC position, but never mentioned the same thing for the GM job. It would seem to me a good thing to have the FUTURE GM around evaluating the players and staff over the last three games. That way when you head into the offseason the new GM would have a MUCH better idea of where the team stands than if he came in in Jan. Makes good sense to me.

Exactly, McNair also said he will be with the Texans for the next two months, but its a possibility he could be here longer.

What is it with Justice and McClain being such staunch defenders of Charley Casserly? Are they close personal friends of his? Does Casserly wine and dine them?

I was thinking the same thing. I live in Austin, but I was in Houston for the Big 12 Championship game and heard McClain's radio show Friday afternoon. I was really surprised and how he could not stop singing the praises of both Capers and Casserly. It got real old hearing how they both were so classy and devoted to winning while ignoring the failure of the team on the field. He also spent way too much time chastising the fans for now be more respectful of these fellows. They may be great guys, but they does not make them the right people to run this football team. The revelations about lack of research Casserly and company have been doing in regards to personnel decisions makes bringing in Reeves a great move.

Reeves will be the next Texan coach and will consult Mcnair on who the new GM should and will be. Reves has won the Super Bowl and has coached high profile teams. No Brainer

Wow .... Casserly looks like he's pouting ...

Casserly1.jpg

Regarding Reeves' coaching acumen -- if he gets us to three Super Bowls in a decade, as he did with the Broncos, or even one Super Bowl, as he did with the Falcons, I'll be a much happier fan. Reeves knows his stuff. And for the comment about the QB situation in Atlanta - Reeves was the one who swung the deal to get Vick. He was fired immediately following Vick's first game, I think I remember reading.

At minimum, he's a coach that's been to four Super Bowls that can evaluate talent. At best, he's our next GM :)

Back