Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dan Reeves Hired!!!

Kaiser Toro said:
He joined the Broncs with Shanny in 1995

So we can't add Elway as QB coach and Sharpe as TE coach to the rampant speculation because we'd be mixing too many Denver eras?

Looks like another exciting off season is ahead of us...sad. But what will Dan Reeves advice Mr.McNair? That our o-line sucks? Our defense is horrible? Our coaching staff is inept? These are things we all know already and we don't need an outside advisor to point these things out.

Porky said:
I say nanana nanana hey hey hey Goodbye...Charlie.

I say hire Reeves as GM, and get rid of Charlie, who has detroyed this team.

I also hope part of his evalution is to let Mcnair know what a fraud David Carr is an NFL QB....at least so far. This is a guy who coached John Elway and knows a real NFL QB when he sees one. I think Cass has been blowing smoke up Mcnair's chimney telling him that Carr is about to break out any time now. Cass doesn't look too good if Carr is a bum does he?

This is the most excited I have been about anything off the field since....well since I cannot remember. Reeves for GM! :texflag:

I remember a while back I saw an interview that Elway never really liked Reeves as a coach and didn't excel until Shanahan was his coach. I'm not entirely sold if McNair is bringing in Reeves as a head coach, but I'm all for him becoming our next GM.

Dom Capers: You see Dan, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Dan Reeves: Don't... don't care?

Dom Capers: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my *** off and we win a few more games, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's another thing, I have eight different bosses right now.

Dan Reeves: Eight?

Dom Capers: Eight, Dan. So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Dan, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Kaiser Toro said:
Dom Capers: You see Dan, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Dan Reeves: Don't... don't care?

Dom Capers: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my *** off and we win a few more games, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's another thing, I have eight different bosses right now.

Dan Reeves: Eight?

Dom Capers: Eight, Dan. So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Dan, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

consultant.gif

At the press conference it will be announced that Dom Capers is giving McNair his resignation as HC. Bob's close personal friend will be coming in to serve as the head coach for the final three weeks of the season to determine whether or not Dom Capers had anything to work with and that will result in Charlie Casserly's evaluation. Then Reeves will stay on as an advisor while Bob McNair begins searching for a new head coach and possibly a new GM.

Ok so I'm hoping for a big splash.

Hervoyel said:
At the press conference it will be announced that Dom Capers is giving McNair his resignation as HC. Bob's close personal friend will be coming in to serve as the head coach for the final three weeks of the season to determine whether or not Dom Capers had anything to work with and that will result in Charlie Casserly's evaluation. Then Reeves will stay on as an advisor while Bob McNair begins searching for a new head coach and possibly a new GM.

Ok so I'm hoping for a big splash.

Hopefully, McNair is bringing in Reeves as a temperorary HC so he can make sure the rest of the season will get tanked. Dom has nothing to loose since he won't be here next year, and he might lead the Texans to a win which would kill their chances of getting Bush. Brilliant move by McNair.

610 just said after Dom's regular conference, McNair will have his own press conference announcing the new changes..

Texans | Reeves to be hired to help McNair
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:33:32 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Houston Texans will announce they have hired longtime NFL head coach Dan Reeves as a consultant to owner Bob McNair. Reeves is not being hired to replace current head coach Dom Capers. The hiring gives McNair an independent, yet experienced, NFL mind to help with the team's problems. A team spokesman said Texans will announce the move at a 4:30 p.m. EST press conference.

Taken from www.KFFL.com

"I’ve known Dan for a very long time, said Texans owner Bob McNair. “We would like to have him evaluate our team and give us his opinion as to how close we are to being a winning team. We have our thoughts as to what we need and we look forward to hearing Dan’s independent evaluation and comments. He knows what it takes to get to the Super Bowl and that is our goal. I think that he can be a valuable resource for us as we go through this process.”
-Texans website.

LOSE is spelled "lose" as in "The Texans are going to lose this game, again."

LOOSE is spelled "loose" as in "Kris Brown should get loose before he tries to kick or he'll miss"

LOSS is spelled "loss" as in "The Texans need one more loss to secure the #1 pick in the draft".

eric138 said:
"I’ve known Dan for a very long time, said Texans owner Bob McNair. “We would like to have him evaluate our team and give us his opinion as to how close we are to being a winning team. We have our thoughts as to what we need and we look forward to hearing Dan’s independent evaluation and comments. He knows what it takes to get to the Super Bowl and that is our goal. I think that he can be a valuable resource for us as we go through this process.”
-Texans website.

I think Dan Reeves opinion will be to fire Dom Capers at the end of the season and make himself head coach.

I don't like the picture of Dan on the official site.
I think Dan would look better in a Texans shirt\sweater...............:texflag:

Johnny Utah said:
I think Dan Reeves opinion will be to fire Dom Capers at the end of the season and make himself head coach.

Fire Capers....Yes, but I doubt Dan wants a HC gig. He has a bad ticker and has said he doesn't want all that stress. Now GM......MMM, that might not be a bad deal. MUCH shorter hours and other than the FA & Draft periods, shouldn't be so loaded with stress.

I don't see this as anyone being replaced. I see this as Casserly losing some of his responsibilities. This could mean that we could be bringing in a coach who also wants some GM responsibilities. If Casserly stays he could just end up being a number cruncher (figuring out how to keep us below the cap) while our coach has full control over personell decisions. I'm all for that.

:texflag:

I do not believe that this is unprecedented. Older heads here may be able to refresh my memory but didn't the Budster do this twice. Once bringing in Sid Gillman and another time bringing in Mike Holovak. My recollection might be fuzzy but I don't think either was brought in as GM or coach at the time they were hired.
The memory is the second thing to go. :)

:coffee:

McNair has just discovered that he has been dealing with half truths when it comes to waht his staff has been telling him.

Im betting he brought in Reeves becuase he is a personal friend who can sift through any bull that McNair has been fed.

I wouldnt mind seeing him become a permenant fixture in the organization..in one form or another.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2256863

Dan Reeves is returning to work in the NFL.

The Houston Texans (1-12) have hired the former Atlanta Falcons coach to a six-week contract as a consultant, the team is to announce Monday.

The Texans stayed in front of the line for the top pick in the NFL draft on Sunday with a 13-10 loss to the Titans. Kris Brown hooked a 31-yard field goal short and wide left on an untimed play with no time left.

Reeves was fired as the Falcons' coach in 2003 after becoming just the sixth coach to earn 200 NFL victories.

Reeves, 59, was in his 23rd consecutive season as an NFL head coach, by far the longest tenure in the league, and had one year left on his contract. Reeves led the Denver Broncos to three Super Bowls, losing each time.

Reeves, however, has had only two winning seasons in the last nine years of his tenure.

He has a career record of 201-174-2, including the playoffs.

Reeves, a protege of Tom Landry, began his head coaching career with the Broncos. After swinging a trade for John Elway, Reeves guided the Broncos to three AFC championships.

Reeves was fired after the 1992 season, a move that was linked to a feud with Elway. The quarterback accused Reeves of stifling the offense; the coach countered that Elway had secretly drawn up plays with former offensive coordinator Mike Shanahan.

Reeves then landed in New York with the Giants. They made the second round of the playoffs in 1993 and had a winning record the following season, but Reeves was fired again after the Giants went 5-11 in 1995 and 6-10 in '96.

Then, it was back home with the Falcons. Reeves is a native of Rome, just north of Atlanta, and grew up in the Georgia town of Americus.

After going 7-9 his first season, Reeves took Atlanta to the greatest season in franchise history. The Falcons went 14-2 in 1998, going on to capture their first NFC championship with a thrilling overtime victory in Minnesota.

Adding to the drama of the season, Reeves underwent heart bypass surgery late in the season but managed to return to the sideline for the playoffs. Then, he got to face Elway, Shanahan and the Broncos in the Super Bowl. Denver won 34-19.

Atlanta then struggled through three straight losing seasons, with a combined record of 16-32. But a trade on the eve of the 2001 draft brought Michael Vick to the Falcons, a precursor of brighter times.

Reeves was let go after the Falcons (3-10) defeated Carolina 20-14 in overtime in Vick's first start of the season.

The Falcons had fallen from the playoffs a year ago to one of the worst teams in the league after Vick was hurt in the preseason.

When Blank bought the Falcons before the 2002 season, he gave Reeves a new three-year contract.

Hervoyel said:
LOSE is spelled "lose" as in "The Texans are going to lose this game, again."

LOOSE is spelled "loose" as in "Kris Brown should get loose before he tries to kick or he'll miss"

LOSS is spelled "loss" as in "The Texans need one more loss to secure the #1 pick in the draft".

FUTILE is spelled "futile", as in "I applaud your efforts, but they will prove to be futile."

Hehehe. Sorry, but that particular misspelling grates on me as well, yet it is becoming more commonplace. I even see it in "professional" publications. Literacy is going to hell in a handbasket.

Wow--glad I had a rare chance to check in here in the afternoon, considering this'd never get covered over here in Florida. My reaction was the same as others above....McNair led by pitching Casserly under the bus, then followed with the Reeves hire to drive the point home.

Remarkable piece of info--I didn't see this coming at all, but I do think it's a step in the right direction. I can't see Reeves returning to coaching full-time, but I do like some of the football minds he might be willing to endorse for the Texans' future.

Plus, he has the right accent. (Sorry, but after suffering through the gentrified John Mackovic era, I just feel better when Mack Brown talks.) :howdy:

I moved to Denver back in 1986 and lived amongst all the Bronco Fans for five years. Denver is a great city, and Dan Reeves was a fantastic coach for the team. John Elway, The Three Amigos, Karl Mecklenberg... all under the leadership of Mr. Reeves.

It will be interesting to see what kind of advice, leadership, and overall words of wisdom he will bring to the Texan franchise. It is good to see that steps are being made to help fix some of the problems our team has been suffering through these past several agonizing weeks.

I don't think that the Texans will regain anything overnight, but at least measures are being taken to try and resolve the issues at hand.

Hervoyel said:
I welcome any other potential football mind to come to the table and help our teams owner by giving him an alternative opinion to Charlie Casserly. Even if he concurs with everything Casserly says (independently) I still think it's a great thing to bring someone else in to help Bob figure out what needs fixing. It's particularly good if Reeves honestly does have no internal desire to coach or seize any kind of power. As an unbiased consultant and friend of McNair he'll be invaluable.
Bob McNair is as smart an owner as there will be. The future of this team will be better after he cleans house.

I'm not understanding this move what so ever by McNair. I'm sorry I just don't like it.

If Reeves isn't going to be the coach then when the new coach comes in you've already had someone evaluate talent for the way HE would like a team set-up not the way the new coach might like. If he's going to be GM fire Cass. I've never liked Reeves offenses. He's just as much of a super conserv coach. Run it Run it again Run it some more and if there are 30 men in the box then pass it. Elway had to draw up his own plays just to throw the freaking ball.

I agree with McCain. If you just wanted the guys opinion ask him but doesn't mean u have to hire him.

I doubt Casserly will be the first one he evaluates. I am guessing that the first thing he will do is start evaluating the talent we have on the field, going to practice, watching game tape and such on all of our players while the season is still going on and he can see the players every day. I'm sure he will still be evaluating the coaches, GM, scouting department and all those people during that time, but I think the first priority will be evaluating the players, then moving on to the rest of the staff. Evaluating the players will also give him some insight into the scouting department and GM as he can critique their ability to evaluate talent and bring in good players.

I haven't felt this good about the Texans in months! In fact, I found the whole situation yesterday so depressing, I couldn't even post on this board. I am now beside myself with excitement. I don't care what happens at this point as far as the draft and the coaches are concerned- at long last there is a beacon at the end of this cave we've gone into and his name is Reeves. If McNair listens to old Dan, then Texan football life will be better. A consultant is a good job for him and I doubt he would want to risk his health to get back into a regular football job like GM or for sure Coach. I'm glad McNair finally did something to give hope to the fans and players. This is a great solution to firing everyone in the middle or the end of the season. Great idea, Mr. McNair.

isnt the press conference on right now? I guess I dont get it in college station..anyone wanna let us know whats going on?

i agree i think this is mcnair telling trasherlly that he is out of here:yahoo: now i wonder who will replace dumb capers. one last thing...didnt it look like brown missed that field goal on purpose?if he did then someone needs to give that man an award! we need to lose the rest of the games

I think it is a great idea to bring in a fresh set of eyes to look over the Texans situation. The information about the mishandling of the P-Buc trade should have woke up McNair that he cannot trust the talent evalutions that have been given by the current staff. With many important personnel decisions that need to made this off-season (especially with Carr), thank goodness Reeves will be around to give McNair some feedback. If he recommends that Casserly and Capers need to go, all the better.

Grid said:
isnt the press conference on right now? I guess I dont get it in college station..anyone wanna let us know whats going on?

Go to www.sportsradio610.com and listen, the press conference is over but there's plenty of talk about it, and the Dom Capers show is on at 5:00, should be a good one.

Grid said:

Just to let you know that for now on you can hear streaming radio on www.sportsradio610.com. Thats the flag ship channel for the Texans and they usually carry the live announcements on the internet.

Sorry for the double post!! I guess great minds think alike!!

Reeves has been involved in NINE Super Bowls? That was said at the press conference and I was thinking "Wow. There have only been what ... 40?" Reeves gets criticized for being conservative and whatnot, but he took the Broncos to two Super Bowls and then took the Falcons in 1998. And it was Reeves who swung the deal to get Michael Vick. Anyone with as much football knowledge as Reeves should be able to offer up a decent opinion on the team.

Grid said:

In a nutshell, Reeves is going to evaluate the players, see where we stand, and give advice to McNair as to where to go from here and how to win the last three games. Reeves said that no one has asked his opinion since he left coaching 2 years ago until Thursday of last week when McNair called. The media hasn't asked if he would return to coaching or being a GM - which would seem to be a good question to ask. They also said he wasn't really hired to evaluate Capers and Casserly - but it would be rude to say anything else. Reeves did have his heart checked out last week, oddly enough. McNair said Reeves is not here to interview for the hc job, not here to evaluate gm and capers. Much speculation - no real answers.:texflag:

I surprised McNair went with Reeves over all the experts on this message board. I figured he would have stayed "within" the organization. :)

Did he say - in a nice, polite manner - that Carr is stinking it up as an NFL QB?

"He had a fine college carreer ..." LOL ...

JackDizzle said:
Casserly doesn't sound too enthusastic about it.

No he didn't.

For those who were unable to hear the press conference, Bob McNair spoke and then Dan Reeves spoke and then someone asked Casserly his thoughts on the addition of Reeves. Casserly said he was one of the best coaches in the NFL, that his input will be valuable, yada, yada. But he definatley sounded pissed and put out.

Then right after that someone asked McNair when he informed his staff of the hire and he answered with only one word..."today".

I think this was a blind side to Casserly. He's got to be thinking his job's in jeopardy.

cadahnic said:
I doubt Casserly will be the first one he evaluates. I am guessing that the first thing he will do is start evaluating the talent we have on the field, going to practice, watching game tape and such on all of our players while the season is still going on and he can see the players every day. I'm sure he will still be evaluating the coaches, GM, scouting department and all those people during that time, but I think the first priority will be evaluating the players, then moving on to the rest of the staff. Evaluating the players will also give him some insight into the scouting department and GM as he can critique their ability to evaluate talent and bring in good players.

I think you are right in saying evaluating players is the NO. 1 priority--McNair made a statement that the Texans are only 5-6 players away from where they need to be-- but are we? After 4 yrs with Capers as HC, we still make the same mistakes and are inconsistent on both sides of the ball. Without question, we have a broke system as is and future decisions are crucial. For me, Casserly summed up the offensive woes on Sun night w/Bob Allen--Allen asked him why don't we get aggressive the entire game like we did the 2 min drill to close the half. Casserly's answer was the players make mistakes so they go with simple stuff...like that will eliminate mistakes!! Sometimes, I got to pinch myself to make sure the Texans are in the NFL....:brickwall

I don't quite know how to read it but the reeves move is a start, and not a bad start, to the rest of our lives.

Kudos to McNair.

As much as I want Reggie Bush and DD looks like a man fighting for his life, by the way, DD is running really good, if Reeves likes one or the other, I am completely OK with his choices. Good Job McNair!!!

:texflag: Maybe Reeves is a consultant at first , who's job is to decide is it lack of talent or lack of coaching .
If I we're Mcnair I want to know about the OL and is there any talent or a bunch of back ups . I'd want to know if Carr's worth a bonus . I'd want to know what to do with this high pick we're about to get .

Back