Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mario Williams

stingray

Hall of Fame
I have before been negative on Mario. But I always said that he had huge talent and he was young. His progress just gets better. He played a hell of a game today. He is getting more consistent and is playing with some passion. Hope he keeps it up.

I'll toast to that. Watching Mario Williams lay into Vince Young a time or two made watching the game much better than it should have been.

Mario probably played the best game out of any Texan today.

He has 4.5 sacks and 2 FF in the past 3 games. It's looking good for him.

Two and a half sacks on VY today. I said it when they chose him and I'll repeat it. We picked the right guy.

Not sure if y'all saw in the game thread, but on 610 it noted that he holds the Texans record now for single season sacks at 8.5

His numbers look pretty good, I said on another thread that I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Pro Bowl this year.

mario is still "meh"...I'm not fooled by the numbers...most weeks he's non existent.....he got fortunate to be in the right place at the right time on a couple of plays today.....drafting him was still a mistake.........VY > Mario.

7 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Mario has 8.5 of our 20 sacks on the season, great for him, terrible for the rest of the team. Okoye has disapeared after a bright start, and I think we only have 1 sack from a defensive end other then Mario. Weaver is holding us back in the pass rush. Mario needs to stay at LDE permenantly and we need to add a speed rusher at RDE capable of getting pressure. TJ and Okoye could turn out to be a great DT combination, but the final piece needs to be added. The positive part of this equation is that you can find a Mark Anderson type DE in the second day of the draft.

Thats 4.5 sacks in the last three weeks. Thats Defensive player of the Month material right there. The one bright spot the last two weeks has been Mario. Glad to see that the Mario pickisnt beingas ridiculed around the nation anymore with Vince & Reggie having subpar sophomore seasons. I said that we wont know if this was the right pick for 3 to 5 years...

He was the only bright spot today......
The running game was very effective again. Bennet seems to be holding his own at corner against the other team's #1. AJ seems to be healthy, and most of the pressure on Sage came from the middle and the left, meaning Winston is doing well at RT. If JJ had held on, we had a great chance to win. "If only" is hard to take and doesn't really get you anywhere, but this team is getting better. It won't be this season, but we will be heard from in the AFC South IF we make good personel decisions (players and new coaches) this offseason.

Yep, it's hard for the VY lovers to beat up on Williams after his performance this season...especially after today. Hopefully he stays here after his contract is up, he's been our most consistent d lineman. Okoye, Weaver......where are you?!

Yep, it's hard for the VY lovers to beat up on Williams after his performance this season...especially after today. Hopefully he stays here after his contract is up, he's been our most consistent d lineman. Okoye, Weaver......where are you?!

I couldnt be more unsatisfied with Anthony Weaver. Has that guy done anything productive since coming here? At times, I forget he is even on the team!

I don't think it's not common for #1 overall picks to go to different teams when their contract is up unless they are either 1) a bust, or 2) their skills are diminishing with old age.

Thats 4.5 in sacks the last three weeks. Thats Defensive player of the Month material right there. The one bright spot the last two weeks has been Mario. Glad to see that the Mario pickisnt beingas ridiculed around the nation anymore with Vince & Reggie having subpar sophomore seasons. I said that we wont know if this was the right pick for 3 to 5 years...

unfortunately the guy from seattle had back to back 3 sack games but he should be top 5 afc in sacks after this week and maybe top3 in afc at seasons end.

if someone told me williams would be that high this year i would have thought they were crazy. great stuff mario you deserve praise right now.

so all those who talked of bust at the beginning of the season we need to hear from you now.

Thank God. He's not a bust after all. He's well on his way to double-digit sacks. Maybe even 12 or so. That's more than solid.

I don't think it's not common for #1 overall picks to go to different teams when their contract is up unless they are either 1) a bust, or 2) their skills are diminishing with old age.
My fear is that all the VY love in Houston and the semi-hate for Williams could drive him out of town. Of course that's worse case scenerio, but he deserves some credit for his performance. Unfortunantly, we have the fat-ass McClain and Richard Justice who live to worship VY. They really should give Mario some credit, it's unreal.

He was the only bright spot today......

The running game was very effective again. Bennet seems to be holding his own at corner against the other team's #1. AJ seems to be healthy, and most of the pressure on Sage came from the middle and the left, meaning Winston is doing well at RT. If JJ had held on, we had a great chance to win. "If only" is hard to take and doesn't really get you anywhere, but this team is getting better. It won't be this season, but we will be heard from in the AFC South IF we make good personel decisions (players and new coaches) this offseason.

Mario and Ron both had great games today. I hope a lot of people give both of them credit, because they have been playing good since we came off our bye week. Ron has shown that he has heart and continues to prove the majority of us wrong, including myself. In no way am I saying he's the answer, but he has played very hard the past two years when it starts to get cold. :texflag:

Williams had a great game today and he's had a very good season...he was one of the few bright spots out there today. It's good to see him healthy and playing like he's capable of.

Where is Vinny, Second honeymoon and Apple and a few others that would not say anything nice about his play where are they now.

I defended him a few times and got plastered yet when he has a good game those same individuals who trash him when he has some bad plays are no where to be seen.

If you are going to trash any player who has a bad game, when he has a good game you need to suck it up and say he played well. That is for any player. Be objective.

P.S. Dream i know the titans won but put that in your pipe and smoke it or stick it I could careless which.

Mario is playing very well. The only knock I have on him is that I'd like to see him try to bullrush the tackle more rather than trying to juke him. The guy is progressing though. Amobi seems to be in a rookie funk. We still need a RE who can pass rush.

congrats mario, I hope this is for bigger and better things!!

i think some forget he was a true junior instead of redshirted.. and I hope this season he can continue to build and stay consistant!

Where is Vinny, Second honeymoon and Apple and a few others that would not say anything nice about his play where are they now.

You mean the people who didn't give him unmitigated praise when he was playing poorly?

OK. He has had two good games in a row. If he finishes out the season playing this well, he'll get up to average. Yippee!

He's kind of a microcosm of the Texans. He's had a couple of good games and so it is great expectations time - like when the Texans beat New Orleans two weeks ago. The problem is, these exceptional games aren't the realistic level. The usual performance, not the exception, is where he's at.

When he plays well consistently, and I don't mean he has to have multiple sacks a game but just have real impact on the opposing offense, then the level rises. Until then, nice game.

You mean the people who didn't give him unmitigated praise when he was playing poorly?

OK. He has had two good games in a row. If he finishes out the season playing this well, he'll get up to average. Yippee!

He's kind of a microcosm of the Texans. He's had a couple of good games and so it is great expectations time - like when the Texans beat New Orleans two weeks ago. The problem is, these exceptional games aren't the realistic level. The usual performance, not the exception, is where he's at.

When he plays well consistently, and I don't mean he has to have multiple sacks a game but just have real impact on the opposing offense, then the level rises. Until then, nice game.

Yes, Reggie White level is what we expect from Mario every single game!!!! There's no room for mediocrity in a sophmore year.
:sarcasm:

Seriously man, he has had a positive impact in every game this year. Some of you posters kill me with your expectations...a record setting year for Mario and you arn't impressed with his progress???!!!!! My gosh man, has anyone here ever played defensive lineman?

I never gave him unmitigated praise but he was the focal point of lashing out. How about trashing more deservidly bad play of others. He has been the most consistant player along the D-Line, of course that is not saying much but to critique his play above all others no matter of draft status or of whom we have signed as a free agent. Weaver has played the worst among any player along the D-Line and he deserves more criticsm than anyone but they only point to Mario.

Like I said he deserves some praise and some bad mouthing but lets be fair about it and not be critical of only one player.

A couple is two last I checked my referance manual and that is not true.

I defended him a few times and got plastered yet when he has a good game those same individuals who trash him when he has some bad plays are no where to be seen.

If you are going to trash any player who has a bad game, when he has a good game you need to suck it up and say he played well. That is for any player. Be objective.

P.S. Dream i know the titans won but put that in your pipe and smoke it or stick it I could careless which.

Mario's been good, but he's also put up most of his numbers against
1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

Maybe he'll start getting sacks against real linemen instead of getting shut out by someone better than mediocre starters.

The first sack he got was a good job pass rushing. That was probably my favorite sack he has made thus far.

The second sack was funny because I guess Vince Young was trying to be safe so he fell down instead of ran for it. Maybe he was trying to avoid the chance of fumbling? I thought that was kind of funny. It was still a good job by Mario because I think he was also in position to bat it down had VY tried to throw it.

He looks like he is playing with more hustle right now. Maybe he is just understanding things, but he just looks more active against the pass than he was earlier in the season.

He and DeMeco need to pick these guys up and start stopping the run more consistantly. It seems like we can be a pretty stout defense at times, yet we still have that inconsistancy. We really need to bring another linebacker in here IMO. It's starting to become a larger and larger need in my eyes.

1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

Maybe he'll start getting sacks against real linemen instead of getting shut out by someone better than mediocre starters.

Sure the Chargers, Titans, Panthers, Jaguars, Colts, Raiders, Saints and Dolphins are a bunch of scrubs at LT.

Signed,
Mr. Unrealistic Expectations Hater for a guy who has set a record for Texan sacks in his sophmore year in only 12 games.....against scrubs apparently....

1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

sounds like the song of someone still longing for Reggie Bush.

Oh and show me the links that prove who was in the game when Mario got his sacks. If you can't/won't do that, you sound a lot like someone who wanted RB or VY.

Mario is playing much better this year than last - being healthy makes a big difference in a players performance. So does getting some NFL experience under your belt. And I think him breaking the Texans annual sack record is worthy of some praise. OK, he got a gimme on the second full sack, but over the course of a season it kinda evens out as they say.
The thing that's interesting to me is that many are saying that Mario is really more of a run-stopper than an edge rusher, all the time while he is edging closer to a double-digit sack season in just his second year.

1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

Good point, reminds me of how Freeney, Strahan, J. Taylor, and Peppers only get sacks against premier tackles. It's not like every DE gets sacks from protection problems, or against less than pro-bowl quality linemen, just Mario.

Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. Not a very Vince-like thing to do, wonder if it had anything to do with who he saw bearing down on him? If Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.

Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. If Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.

I agree with this part of your post. :texflag:

Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.

Preach on my man! Well said.

Good point, reminds me of how Freeney, Strahan, J. Taylor, and Peppers only get sacks against premier tackles. It's not like every DE gets sacks from protection problems, or against less than pro-bowl quality linemen, just Mario.

Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. Not a very Vince-like thing to do, wonder if it had anything to do with who he saw bearing down on him? If Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.

rep for you, exactly what I was thinking.

I couldn't imagine what the dvr people would do if they saw mario untouched and couldn't get to VY ...

so with the poor lineman the Texans have had along with Carr at Qb should we put an * next to their stats while going against the Texans?

Air comment, that isn't Mario's fault, that is the Titans fault for not accounting for him and putting a hat on him.

or should we put an * by VY's stats for that TD though with the blown coverage being Williams was wide open and VY throws well to WR's when noone is covering them?

(for the record , nice recognition by Vince on that horrible coverage)

Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. Not a very Vince-like thing to do, wonder if it had anything to do with who he saw bearing down on him?.

I think that play would even make Favre and Strahan smile

My point exactly!! Well said.

My fear is that all the VY love in Houston and the semi-hate for Williams could drive him out of town.

Mario likes living here in Houston, he likes the stadium and the coaching staff. When he's out and about people have shown him nothing but love, we were out one night and people were very nice to him. We were just out trying to unwind and relax and he kept getting hit up for pictures and autographs and he was always nice and smiled and obliged each and every fan. We were coming out of one place one evening and a big group of guys came up and each one had to take a picture with him, got down to the last guy and the "ring leader" said,,,"mario, don't take a picture with this guy, he loves VY and couldn't stand that they picked you",,,what does MW do? He smiles real big, grabs the dude around the neck, pulls him to his side, smiles real big and says"Snap the picture!",,,the guy gave him a big high five and they all walked off laughing and cheering mario,,,the only "hate" he feels is from several local houston talk show personalities and some fans that call in about him,,,If he keeps playing like he's playing, by the time his contract is up there will be nothing but love for him and all of this VY,RB and MW issue will be nothing!

Mario likes living here in Houston, he likes the stadium and the coaching staff. When he's out and about people have shown him nothing but love, we were out one night and people were very nice to him. We were just out trying to unwind and relax and he kept getting hit up for pictures and autographs and he was always nice and smiled and obliged each and every fan. We were coming out of one place one evening and a big group of guys came up and each one had to take a picture with him, got down to the last guy and the "ring leader" said,,,"mario, don't take a picture with this guy, he loves VY and couldn't stand that they picked you",,,what does MW do? He smiles real big, grabs the dude around the neck, pulls him to his side, smiles real big and says"Snap the picture!",,,the guy gave him a big high five and they all walked off laughing and cheering mario,,,the only "hate" he feels is from several local houston talk show personalities and some fans that call in about him,,,If he keeps playing like he's playing, by the time his contract is up there will be nothing but love for him and all of this VY,RB and MW issue will be nothing!
That makes me feel a lot better, thank you. I really hope that he decides to stay a Texan and show the NFL why he is the #1 pick. I'm glad that Mario is happy to be in Houston.

Like I said he deserves some praise and some bad mouthing but lets be fair about it and not be critical of only one player.

Actually I'm more critical of the team for selecting him number one. Even if he's above average, he ends up being a waste of resources like most number one picks. I don't have anything against Mario.

That being said, I still don't think he has had as big an impact on opposing offenses as many times as many of you think. I actually counted it against him when Winslow was blocking him one on one on runs to his side. That just freed up the tackle to block the linebacker or double the DT. I didn't think that was dominant and it took away from the level of his game last week.

Have you seen my posts on the o-line? I certainly criticize players ther than Mario.

Actually I'm more critical of the team for selecting him number one. Even if he's above average, he ends up being a waste of resources like most number one picks. I don't have anything against Mario.

That being said, I still don't think he has had as big an impact on opposing offenses as many times as many of you think. I actually counted it against him when Winslow was blocking him one on one on runs to his side. That just freed up the tackle to block the linebacker or double the DT. I didn't think that was dominant and it took away from the level of his game last week.

Have you seen my posts on the o-line? I certainly criticize players ther than Mario.

I critique the O-Line seperately from the D-Line and Mario. Which is my point, you criticize the O-Line and Mario but not the D-Line.

I'm curious, who would you have picked instead? And don't say "I would have traded down". They tried that, no one bit. So, assuming they didn't lie about trying to trade the #1 for multiple 3rd or 4th rounders, who would you have chosen as the #1 overall pick in 2006. Vince? Reggie? Joseph Addai?

I can't wait to hear this revisionist history.

Guess what!? SportsCenter just showed the Titans/Texans highlights. And the first play they showed was Mario running Vince down from behind.

Mario getting dap from ESPN! Its a sign of the Apocalypse I tell you!
:wild:

I'm curious, who would you have picked instead? And don't say "I would have traded down". They tried that, no one bit. So, assuming they didn't lie about trying to trade the #1 for multiple 3rd or 4th rounders, who would you have chosen as the #1 overall pick in 2006. Vince? Reggie? Joseph Addai?

I can't wait to hear this revisionist history.

You're going to love this then. I felt strongly they should pick Mario Williams. Actually, I did prefer trade down but knew that was improbable - first overall picks are seldom worth it.

I'd have been happy with Bush. I didn't want Vince under any circumstances.

In hindsight, I'd take D'Brickashaw or A.J. Hawk. At least they play at a higher level consistently. Hawk and Demeco - not a bad linebacking duo, and they'd still have Weaver at SDE.

The difference is that I'm not letting my initial opinion color all my future observations. I'm also not overestimating his impact just because he's a Texan. I'm willing to admit my mistake and change my opinion based on new evidence. That way I didn't have to rely on those phantom double team explanations in year one, and the "he had 1 tackle and no sacks, but he domminated the line" reasoning of early this year.

I critique the O-Line seperately from the D-Line and Mario. Which is my point, you criticize the O-Line and Mario but not the D-Line.

So since I don't criticize other players on the d-line* I'm wrong about Mario?

Oops - check my posts on Weaver; there goes that theory.

He's kind of a microcosm of the Texans. He's had a couple of good games and so it is great expectations time - like when the Texans beat New Orleans two weeks ago. The problem is, these exceptional games aren't the realistic level. The usual performance, not the exception, is where he's at..

no the guys that go 'LOOK THEY RAN THAT PLAY RIGHT AT MARIO! HES A BUST!'.. and i think vinny and others are very good posters but everyone can see he/they has a thing for Vince (or other agendas) and are biased against mario in some of their posts--- they show a noticeable lack of posts when mario has a good game

and mario is only in his second yr and has shown a continuous improvement and work ethic/attitude... hes had 3/4 excellent/dominating games out of 12 this yr with many other decent/good performances so far compared to 0 in all of last yr and a couple where hes gone missing (growing pains)

undoubtedly hes our best lineman followed by tj.. and i think hed look even better than now if he had either/both decent secondary or decent bookend opposite him

You're going to love this then. I felt strongly they should pick Mario Williams. Actually, I did prefer trade down but knew that was improbable - first overall picks are seldom worth it.

I'd have been happy with Bush. I didn't want Vince under any circumstances.

In hindsight, I'd take D'Brickashaw or A.J. Hawk. At least they play at a higher level consistently. Hawk and Demeco - not a bad linebacking duo, and they'd still have Weaver at SDE.

not picking on you- just these were the posts i wanted to really respond to

not from what ive seen of him (and i was on his bandwagon).. and weaver sucks as a 4-3 DE so thats not a good reason to pick hawk (although his own play is enough!).. that was the mistake- we shouldve used that money somewhere else:gun:

In hindsight, I'd take D'Brickashaw or A.J. Hawk. At least they play at a higher level consistently. Hawk and Demeco - not a bad linebacking duo, and they'd still have Weaver at SDE..

Are you kidding? D'brickishaw has been critisized all season long for his poor play.

Back