Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mario Williams

I remeber that play against Cleveland. At the same time, I remeber the first drive the Browns had when they doubled Mario on third and short and he broke through the double team and pulled Lewis back short of the marker. What that leads me to belive is that Mario just isn't that quick in diagnosing plays, especially runs. This, like almost all of his problems, has to do with experiance and learing curve, not talent. Now more then ever, I think we have made the right choice. Of course, its easy to say that after a 7 tackle, 2.5 sack performance, but its looking pretty smart so far.

Since the Saints game, he's looked a LOT better at diagnosing plays. Again, he wasn't able to practice half of his rookie year, when he could have gained valuable experience in picking up keys and all that. He did a very good at outside contain against VY.

I can't imagine any Texans fan not getting excited about the prospect of Mario being on the cusp of a double-digit sack season in his second year. Why would you go out of your way to split hairs on what counts as a "real" sack or a "gimme" sack? Numbers are numbers. They work the same way for every athlete.

If we're going to set a bar, let's not raise the bar in the middle of a campaign. Assuming Mario gets 12 sacks this year, are we really going to sit and try to find mitigating factors that detract from that number? If you want to find ways to remain unhappy about a pick you didn't initially like, well, I feel sorry for you because it essentially means you'd prefer to be unhappy.

Mario seems to be getting it down, he's bringing pressure and getting sacks. That's about all you can ask from a DE.

You can always want more, but even as a Titans fan I can see that he's doing well. He's not making mistakes and costing the team games.

I can't imagine any Texans fan not getting excited about the prospect of Mario being on the cusp of a double-digit sack season in his second year. Why would you go out of your way to split hairs on what counts as a "real" sack or a "gimme" sack? Numbers are numbers. They work the same way for every athlete.

Good post. And for those that want to play the game of..'oh that was a gimme sack'...They must go back and watch every game of every team to subtract those 'gimme' sacks from the other defensive players in order to get a FAIR reading as to how Mario and the Others compare. It's a part of the game and Mario isn't the only one racking those up.

Good post. And for those that want to play the game of..'oh that was a gimme sack'...They must go back and watch every game of every team to subtract those 'gimme' sacks from the other defensive players in order to get a FAIR reading as to how Mario and the Others compare. It's a part of the game and Mario isn't the only one racking those up.

Well just like Reggie Bush gets his own statistic (Total Yards) to inflate his stats, I wouldnt be suprised to see ESPN come out with a new stat for Mario called gimme sacks just so they could deflate his stats.

I'm excited about Mario and the last few games. I hope he continues to improve. I'm just not sure why people are up in arms about "gimmee sacks." I brought it up twice and it isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is an observation. The guy gets some good ones. Same thing happened last year. It happens. Oh well. Alot of stuff happens in the NFL like blown coverage.

I'm excited about Mario and the last few games. I hope he continues to improve. I'm just not sure why people are up in arms about "gimmee sacks." I brought it up twice and it isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is an observation. The guy gets some good ones. Same thing happened last year. It happens. Oh well. Alot of stuff happens in the NFL like blown coverage.

Blown coverage? not on our team!

I dunno, has Mario got any chance of making the Pro Bowl this year ?
I vote for him (and DeMeco and did D-Rob before his injury) every day or 2, but don't think either has a chance of making a trip to Honolulu this year ?
We've got to get a higher more positive profile here with the Texans before those guys, no matter how worthy, get a chance to visit Honolulu in the winter.

I vote for him (and DeMeco and did D-Rob before his injury) every day or 2, but don't think either has a chance of making a trip to Honolulu this year ?
We've got to get a higher more positive profile here with the Texans before those guys, no matter how worthy, get a chance to visit Honolulu in the winter.

He has an outside shot, but needs to keep the pace of the last few games. He is currently #2 in sacks for AFC defensive linemen.

If fans do their homework, he has a great shot of making it to Hawaii. He's second in the AFC in sacks and a DE. However, seeing as many people think he was a bad choice, I doubt he'll get voted in. There is a chance that he could get voted in bye the coaches and players. I believe they count for 2/3 of the vote, but I could be wrong. :texflag:

If fans do their homework, he has a great shot of making it to Hawaii. He's second in the AFC in sacks and a DE. However, seeing as many people think he was a bad choice, I doubt he'll get voted in. There is a chance that he could get voted in bye the coaches and players. I believe they count for 2/3 of the vote, but I could be wrong. :texflag:

Do not forget espin has not said one blasted word about it and will not because they blasted the Texans for taking him.

Do not forget espin has not said one blasted word about it and will not because they blasted the Texans for taking him.

Agree completely, I get amused that they make excuses for Bush but nothing for Mario. Hey, at least they showed him sack Vince and reported that he had 2.5 sacks that game; remember they did not show the Texans and Saints highlights.

I believe they count for 2/3 of the vote, but I could be wrong. :texflag:
Really ?
You mean a player who doesn't get votes by the fans could still get in with player & coach votes ? And in reverse, a guy who was voted in by fans
but who didn't receive player & coach votes might fail to be named to Pro Bowl ?

Really ?
You mean a player who doesn't get votes by the fans could still get in with player & coach votes ? And in reverse, a guy who was voted in by fans
but who didn't receive player & coach votes might fail to be named to Pro Bowl ?

I think that happened to TO or Moss a couple of years ago, where the fans voted them in but the NFL alumni did not.

A quick liner from an ESPN chat:

Tim (Houston, Tx): Do you think that Mario Williams has started to figure out some things in the pro game, or is his recent succes just a flash in the pan?

Matt Williamson: (1:23 PM ET ) Not a flash. Going to be a Pro Bowl caliber DE.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18343

For those wondering, yes my name is Tim, and yes i know I'm not in Houston (but I find it easier to get chat questions answered if you say you are in the city that the team you are asking about is in) and yes work is really, really, really slow this time of year.

Mario has made some plays lately and is hopefully starting to turn the corner in his career. As an earlier post stated, he has a chance to make the Pro Bowl in the AFC. A pretty good chance especially if he can surpass double digit sacks and maybe another forced fumble or two. The upside is the guy is pretty bright and he seems to be learning how to read plays and has steadily improved with his play against the screen.

Everyone wants this guy to succeed. He is starting to do what it takes and his stats look pretty good.

A quick liner from an ESPN chat:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18343

For those wondering, yes my name is Tim, and yes i know I'm not in Houston (but I find it easier to get chat questions answered if you say you are in the city that the team you are asking about is in) and yes work is really, really, really slow this time of year.

That right there is a freaking thing of beauty. I think a lot more people are coming around on Mario Williams being a good DE. They might still rag him for being a #1 pick, but you really can't deny that he can usually be good for some pressure and a sack or two in a given game.

Right pick or not, I think for the Texans, he is the one who is performing best, out of the top 5 that were picked in '06.

As an aside, the NFL Defensive players of the week nominees are up, and Jovian Haye (J. Haye 2-0 1.0 0 1) got nominated over Williams (M. Williams 3-4 2.5 0 0). What do you guys think?

As an aside, the NFL Defensive players of the week nominees are up, and Jovian Haye (J. Haye 2-0 1.0 0 1) got nominated over Williams (M. Williams 3-4 2.5 0 0). What do you guys think?

Honestly, I'm not surprised but extremely disappointed. Looks like he'll have to score another TD to get some recognition.

I can't seem to find a list of all the nominee's for the year so far. I really wanted to just shoot you down with that criteria, but you could be right.

Even so, that still seems kind of silly as I've seen a player have a great defensive game and the rest of the team just craps the bed and he gets overlooked.

If anyone gets nominated off of a loss they'd have to have a monster game like Umenyiora against the Eagles (Giants won though!!!). But if a player has 6 sacks or 3 INTs or whatever normally their team will win lol.

Ha, this might rile yall up tonight.

On his radio show, Fish just made reference to Mario's sack of Vince where VY fell to avoid the big hit. He mentioned the Favre-Strahan deal a few years aog.

Discuss

Ha, this might rile yall up tonight.

On his radio show, Fish just made reference to Mario's sack of Vince where VY fell to avoid the big hit. He mentioned the Favre-Strahan deal a few years aog.

Discuss

Seems like something Titans fans would get more riled about than Texans fans. Your player was scared of taking a hit by our player, so he gave up and fell down.

Haha if you would like to look at it that way... I was extremely happy he did that instead of try and throw it 'away' (because we all know Vince's 'away' is to the other team)

I just wanted to say it. I know some people had mentioned it over here and wanted to see your response. If this had been the Jags board they would have erupted.

Haha if you would like to look at it that way... I was extremely happy he did that instead of try and throw it 'away' (because we all know Vince's 'away' is to the other team)

I just wanted to say it. I know some people had mentioned it over here and wanted to see your response. If this had been the Jags board they would have erupted.

We had a quarterback who trademarked that maneuver, the fans of the opposing team never seemed to mind.

The fall over maneuver? I mentioned it because he wasn't giving Mario credit for it, I just figured since both of our fanbases are so defensive of our picks last year it would be a fun conversation. I appologize.

The fall over maneuver? I mentioned it because he wasn't giving Mario credit for it, I just figured since both of our fanbases are so defensive of our picks last year it would be a fun conversation. I appologize.

lol not trying to chastise you, just giving my opinion, no worries. Young hardly ever gives opposing teams an easy sack, he usually stands up with 3-4 guys on him and still tries to throw it. I still gave Mario some dap for the play because I think Young may have decided to pull a Carr when he saw who it was who was about to hit him.

From what I saw, Young had play action. It was a key point in the game, a mistake costs his team dearly. He turns to start to rollout but Mario is ready to either knock down his pass or chase him. It just looked like he didn't want to risk a bad play. Maybe he slipped, but I thought it was a smart play for him. Mario would probably have run him down and when your running away from a defender and getting tackled there is a higher probability to fumble and/or get injured.

Well, giving Williams a free sack and all is nice, but if you look, it seems like the Titans watched gametape of Cleveland, and saw the play where Mario went unhindered to go sack Derek Anderson, and decided that was a smart play.

I swear it was like I was watching a DVR of the play, only the offense just had different uniforms.

Maybe other teams are trying to inflate Mario's numbers? ?

Thats why I come here and NFL boards instead of there, except for news.

What NFL boards? Rivals?

Back